Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Archives > General Chat Archive
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List

Old 11-08-2002, 08:24 PM   #1
MADpeace
Ownz

Angry Question/rant about religion and stuff.

ok, so I watched this video today called "the Population Bomb", basically about how both thrid world countries and places like the US are overpopulated, but in different ways.

anyway, these women in like Nepal and India and that whole part, they would not use contraceptives because it was going against their religion. And there was this like phillipino priest guy who basically said, "If you use contraceptives, and know that they are evil, then you have sinned against god." FUCK YOU ASSHOLE! I wanted to stick a gun in his eye and blow his convoluted brain into pieces. These girls instead have botched abortions and end up dying. Plus, those kids add to population.

so, while I don't need to go into why I am atheist, and if you did read all that I appreciate it, I will get to my real question...

Do all marriages (in america) take place with a priest? I mean, I know that they don't all take place in a church or synagogue or whatever, but are all marriage ceremonies religious? If so, wouldn't that be some huge breech of separation of church and state? Where can an atheist like myself get married?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

TIER SIX!!!! OUTTA MY WAY!!!

Old 11-08-2002, 08:26 PM   #2
Samsa
Banned

a courthouse

Old 11-08-2002, 08:26 PM   #3
Samsa
Banned

las vegas

Old 11-08-2002, 08:30 PM   #4
the REAL suze
Amish Rake Fighter

Angry

Quote:
Originally posted by Samsa
las vegas
Shut up, me! I know we married a drunk Indian there, but that's no reason to tell the whole world!

Old 11-08-2002, 08:37 PM   #5
MADpeace
Ownz

Thumbs down

listen, a courthouse is not a ceremony...

and vegas.....no. Something other than elvis and poker chips.

Old 11-08-2002, 08:38 PM   #6
Samsa
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by MADpeace
listen, a courthouse is not a ceremony...

and vegas.....no. Something other than elvis and poker chips.
what? you said 'is there any nonreligious place to get married?' and i told you. a courthouse. you can have a nonreligious ceremony too if you fucking want. the 'ceremony' isn't the legal part. the legal part is the slip of paper. what about this don't you understand?

Old 11-08-2002, 08:40 PM   #7
the REAL suze
Amish Rake Fighter

Angry

Quote:

what? you said 'is there any nonreligious place to get married?' and i told you. a courthouse. you can have a nonreligious ceremony too if you fucking want. the 'ceremony' isn't the legal part. the legal part is the slip of paper. what about this don't you understand?
Shut up, me!

Old 11-08-2002, 08:41 PM   #8
jenn
Minion of Satan

you can get a justice of the peace, or a judge to perform a wedding nearly anywhere...and the ceremony doesn't have to have any religious connotation to it. unitarian ministers do them as well. you don't have to go to a courthouse or vegas...that's stupid. when your time comes, it can be just as nice as a religious ceremony- just minus the religion part.

Old 11-08-2002, 08:43 PM   #9
MADpeace
Ownz

Exclamation

Quote:

Jesus fucking christ settle down! what is your problem?

did I say you were wrong? I am telling you I would like a ceremony. ok? don't try act smart by being a smart ass.

"what about this don't you understand" um, gosh, I'm just so dumb I don't understand anything. please explain it to me. I wish I were just like you. jesus, now I can see why people hate you. you're a bitch. settle down alright?

Old 11-08-2002, 08:45 PM   #10
jenn
Minion of Satan

Quote:

did I say you were wrong? I am telling you I would like a ceremony. ok? don't try act smart by being a smart ass.

"what about this don't you understand" um, gosh, I'm just so dumb I don't understand anything. please explain it to me. I wish I were just like you. jesus, now I can see why people hate you. you're a bitch. settle down alright?
this is how my beef with suze started...

Old 11-08-2002, 08:45 PM   #11
MADpeace
Ownz

Talking

Quote:
Originally posted by melancholia
you can get a justice of the peace, or a judge to perform a wedding nearly anywhere...and the ceremony doesn't have to have any religious connotation to it. unitarian ministers do them as well. you don't have to go to a courthouse or vegas...that's stupid. when your time comes, it can be just as nice as a religious ceremony- just minus the religion part.
hey samsa, are you taking notes?

thank you meloncholia, that's all I wanted to hear.

damn yer close to 5000.

Old 11-08-2002, 08:45 PM   #12
Samsa
Banned

Quote:

no, you fucking acted like because most americans get married in a church this is somehow a violation of church and state. i thought you were asking if there were any OPTIONS available for nonreligious people to get married and i fucking told you, and you jumped on me because 'i don't want to get married in a courthouse'. well i never fucking said you did. you don't seem to comprehend the idea of freedom - you can have any ceremony you fucking want. you can dance in the woods, you can go in a canoe, you can do the hokey pokey. it doesn't fucking matter. that's why i said 'what about this don't you understand?'.

Old 11-08-2002, 08:46 PM   #13
Samsa
Banned

Quote:

damn yer close to 5000.
listen, you fucking moron, i wasn't trying to give you ideas for a fucking nonreligious ceremony. i was just informing you that it doesn't have to be religious in order to be legal, which is what you were implying.

Old 11-08-2002, 08:46 PM   #14
Suze Signature
Amish Rake Fighter

Quote:

no, you fucking acted like because most americans get married in a church this is somehow a violation of church and state. i thought you were asking if there were any OPTIONS available for nonreligious people to get married and i fucking told you, and you jumped on me because 'i don't want to get married in a courthouse'. well i never fucking said you did. you don't seem to comprehend the idea of freedom - you can have any ceremony you fucking want. you can dance in the woods, you can go in a canoe, you can do the hokey pokey. it doesn't fucking matter. that's why i said 'what about this don't you understand?'.
Attach me to more of your posts! People need to read me!

Old 11-08-2002, 08:47 PM   #15
Samsa
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by Suze Signature

Attach me to more of your posts! People need to read me!
\
okay. how about you read some fuckign shakespeare while you'r eat it. wait, no. that's too long and boring.

Old 11-08-2002, 08:48 PM   #16
jenn
Minion of Satan

Quote:

damn yer close to 5000.
'welcome sweetie.

Old 11-08-2002, 08:50 PM   #17
MADpeace
Ownz

Red face

Quote:

listen, you fucking moron, i wasn't trying to give you ideas for a fucking nonreligious ceremony. i was just informing you that it doesn't have to be religious in order to be legal, which is what you were implying.

stop cursing, it makes you sound stupid.

*stops talking to you*

Old 11-08-2002, 08:50 PM   #18
Suze Signature
Amish Rake Fighter

Thumbs up

Quote:

\
okay. how about you read some fuckign shakespeare while you'r eat it. wait, no. that's too long and boring.
That's what I like to see!

Old 11-08-2002, 08:52 PM   #19
Samsa
Banned

Quote:

stop cursing, it makes you sound stupid.

*stops talking to you*
lol. you know what makes YOU sound stupid? when you say that performing a religious ceremony is a violation of the separation of church and state.

Old 11-08-2002, 08:54 PM   #20
jenn
Minion of Satan

he didn't say that, he asked if there were non-religious wedding ceremonies in america. then he said that if there weren't that would be a breech of church and state.

Old 11-08-2002, 08:55 PM   #21
Suze Signature
Amish Rake Fighter

Red face

Quote:

lol. you know what makes YOU sound stupid? when you say that performing a religious ceremony is a violation of the separation of church and state.
Calm down and attach your signature!

Old 11-08-2002, 08:58 PM   #22
MADpeace
Ownz

Talking

Quote:
Originally posted by melancholia
he didn't say that, he asked if there were non-religious wedding ceremonies in america. then he said that if there weren't that would be a breech of church and state.

yes, but samsa's way we can continue to argue

Old 11-08-2002, 08:59 PM   #23
jenn
Minion of Satan

Quote:

yes, but samsa's way we can continue to argue
oh yeah, forgot. carry on

Old 11-08-2002, 09:00 PM   #24
Mayfuck
Banned

Quote:

You responded like a prick, dip. What do you expect? You're not very smart at all

Old 11-08-2002, 09:00 PM   #25
Samsa
Banned

he asked where an atheist like himself could get married and i told him. and he also is under impression that the fact that CEREMONIES, which aren't government regulated, IF they are religious, is a violation of the constitution.

which is ridiculous. if religious ceremonies DIDN'T exist then that would be the violation of the constitution. the first amendment is to protect people in their free exercise of religion. it's not intended to keep people from practicing their religion. it's a totally absurd thing to say that a non-regulated government practice is a violation of the first amendment, when it's really just proof of it.

Old 11-08-2002, 09:18 PM   #26
Suze Signature
Amish Rake Fighter

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally posted by Mayfuck

You responded like a prick, dip. What do you expect? You're not very smart at all
That's right! Stick up for my master!

Old 11-08-2002, 11:06 PM   #27
ammy
yer mom

i'm agnostic or something like that, and dan's kinda buddist.. we decided to have a compleatly nonreligious wedding.. but we're having my friend's dad preform it because he kicks ass, and is ordained(sp?) ...

anyway... you can have all kinds of people do it, it's not "there must be a preist"... the only legal part of the marriage is the marriage contract/licence dealywho, the officiant is only a witness to the whole deal, like a notary public. to my understanding at least.