Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Archives > Pumpkins Archive
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 09-28-2013, 07:16 PM   #31
fuzzyroes
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by themadcaplaughs View Post
There are instances of bands where every member gets an equal cut of songwriting no matter what. I believe REM does that.
Yeah, Green Day does this too... I guess theres a reason why these kind of bands last a long time. :P

But don't members who performed on a recording get a small royalty every time a song is aired on the radio? I thought that they did?

Old 09-28-2013, 08:25 PM   #32
Kreatorkind
Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzyroes View Post
Yeah, Green Day does this too... I guess theres a reason why these kind of bands last a long time. :P

But don't members who performed on a recording get a small royalty every time a song is aired on the radio? I thought that they did?
They don't sadly.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r82H1vFkywA

Old 09-28-2013, 08:55 PM   #33
Banana
Banned

Shame how she has to be hung up on the past and can't take the high road and move on like Billy.

Old 09-28-2013, 09:30 PM   #34
themadcaplaughs
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzyroes View Post

America is actually one of three countries (at least last time I read about it) in the world which does not pay performing artists when a song gets played on the radio. Had that bill in the video above gone through, that means that when, for instance, "Today" is played on the radio Billy would receive a mechanical royalty as a songwriter and James, D'arcy, Billy (separately from his mechanical royalty) would be paid as artists.

Services like Spotify and Pandora, digital services which have government controlled royalties, do have to pay in this manner (i.e. to the artist AND songwriter(s) ) but the payments are VERY paltry. David Lowery, the singer/guitarist/songwriter in Cracker actually wrote an article recently about how, combined royalties as an artist and songwriter for a million streams of the song "Low" on Pandora netted something like sixteen bucks.