Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Smashing Pumpkins Boards > Smashing Pumpkins/Billy Corgan Discussion
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List

Old 10-20-2020, 07:32 AM   #5131
Cool As Ice Cream
Just Hook it to My Veins!

yo'ure a screengcrab

Old 10-20-2020, 07:34 AM   #5132
pinetree
Ownz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woody View Post
Please tell me Billy Corgan didn't call Stephen Malkmus a "jealous hack" in 2020?

Is there a screengrab of this?
he definitely did, last night. It's probably still up there but I unfollowed BC after that. He has nothing to offer me at this point. He insults people regularly on IG stories. He's such a loser.

Old 10-20-2020, 07:35 AM   #5133
VoxUpDoc
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cool As Ice Cream View Post
yo'ure a screengcrab

Old 10-20-2020, 07:42 AM   #5134
VoxUpDoc
Apocalyptic Poster

Let's count the respectable-to-great albums that weren't a shitting embarrassment by either artist since 2000...

Stephen Malkmus:

Stephen Malkmus (2001)
Pig Lib (2003)
Face the Truth (2005)
Real Emotional Trash (2008)
Mirror Traffic (2011)
Wig Out at Jagbags (2014)
Sparkle Hard (2018)
Traditional Techniques (2020)

That's an 8 strong run by SM.
+ 1 "embarrassing" electronic album!

Billy Corgan:

MSTOS (being generous) (2003)
Ogilala (being generous) (2017)

Pretty much ZERO strong albums.
+3 "embarrassing" electronic albums.

SM is jealous as fuck, clearly.

Old 10-20-2020, 08:39 AM   #5135
Shadaloo
Apocalyptic Poster

Which one of you asked the Malkmus question

Old 10-20-2020, 08:46 AM   #5136
Morlock
Ownz

I love Stephen Malkmus so much. He's the real deal. I understand if people think he is just a goofy hipster, but the core of his music is very sincere.

Good job putting "embarrassing" in quotation marks. I don't think Groove Denied embarassing at all. More something he got interested in as an artist but didn't work out. Half of the tracks are good (especially Ocean of Revenge, Come Get Me).

Also I have a perma-crush for Joanna Bolme.

Old 10-20-2020, 11:11 AM   #5137
VoxUpDoc
Apocalyptic Poster

Yeah I think fans can definitely find something to enjoy in Groove Denied.

Malkmus >>>>> Corgan, even though BC tapped a vein that sprung fried gold throughout the mid-90's.

Old 10-20-2020, 11:52 AM   #5138
pinetree
Ownz

my 2 favorite bands in the 90s were SP and Pavement. Billy Corgan's career has been an embarrassment, one cringe-inducing stunt after another.

Malkmus on the other hand has continued putting out excellent rock albums and somehow has refrained from saying idiotic statements, fighting with almost everyone, pretending to be some kind of all-knowing sage, and dressing up like a goddamn clown.

Malkmus is authentic, the real deal. Corgan is a blustering buffoon with nothing of any substance to offer anyone, similar to a certain USA president.

Old 10-20-2020, 12:30 PM   #5139
smashingjj
real estate cowboy

Al Gore?

Old 10-20-2020, 12:30 PM   #5140
smashingjj
real estate cowboy

Al Bundy?

Old 10-20-2020, 12:31 PM   #5141
smashingjj
real estate cowboy

Al Bush?

Old 10-20-2020, 12:31 PM   #5142
smashingjj
real estate cowboy

Al Qaeda?

Old 10-20-2020, 12:35 PM   #5143
Morlock
Ownz

I am sure he is talking about Rutherford B. Hayes.

Old 10-20-2020, 12:38 PM   #5144
brothahi4L
Apocalyptic Poster

Default He did

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinetree View Post
he definitely did, last night. It's probably still up there but I unfollowed BC after that. He has nothing to offer me at this point. He insults people regularly on IG stories. He's such a loser.

I can affirm this. AS soon as i get my mobile I´ll try to post it... never done... how can I post a pic here? can anyone help without making fun of me. I am a 50 year old douche bag who still hopes for a good ol sp album, but that will neva happen.

Jealous Hack??? Billy du Trottl

Old 10-20-2020, 01:44 PM   #5145
Gooch
Apocalyptic Poster

Thumbs down

As an old school Netphorian, this is a perfect opportunity to refer you to an instructional website on how to post a picture on a message board, with a link to the goatse picture. However in the current state of the world, I will be labeled a “bully”. Therefore I will defer.

Sadly defer.

Old 10-20-2020, 02:05 PM   #5146
Gooch
Apocalyptic Poster

Someone asked if it was a conscious decision to not have a video for oceana and he replied the “album had no singles” as he “didn’t try to write any”

That’s like when Peewee Herman trips and falls and says “I meant to do that!”

Old 10-20-2020, 02:13 PM   #5147
Zer0 Hour
Apocalyptic Poster

LOL, he is such a tool.

In all seriousness though, I kinda like Oceania. The drums aside, I thought it was the best record he's put out since not really reforming the Pumpkins. It gets a little weird in the middle but I feel like it starts and finishes strong and his voice and guitar playing sound better than they did on Zeitgeist. I doubt I'll ever listen to it again but I'd take it over this CYR shit any day.

Old 10-20-2020, 03:13 PM   #5148
GreenDogGlynis
Demi-God

Oceania has some great songs. I think what Billy really doesn't get is that while its great to pursue other styles of music, people also need to be reminded of why they like you in the first place. This is especially important for someone like Billy. Take a song like Inkless, a great song that is no doubt SP1 quality, and the band members at the time had to force Billy to even put it on the album because Billy thought it was a retread. In retrospect, at least for me, the song helps me just forget about all of Billy's hangups and reminds why SP is so great, but he wasn't even going to let us hear it.

Old 10-20-2020, 03:34 PM   #5149
GreenDogGlynis
Demi-God

Someone should ask if he's listened to the new Hum album. Cause he totally should

Old 10-20-2020, 04:26 PM   #5150
houseofglass11
Minion of Satan

Old 10-20-2020, 06:27 PM   #5151
VoxUpDoc
Apocalyptic Poster

Blog post 15 years from now.

“I had a long feud with Stephen Malkmus, for I believe I once called him a jealous hack although in truth a fan, no doubt intentionally needling me, caught me at a vulnerable moment as is oft the case in our Autumnul years. Observing his late turn of fortune, and reassuring him we all have a function, for Stephen Malkmus & co’s well-deserved and long overdue inclusion in our esteemed rock n roll hall of fame, an institution I have been approached with regard on many occasion, alas circumstance and duty prevented me from accepting, it is finally time to bury the hatchet, stringed or otherwise, and celebrate the contributions Pavement and vicariously the Pumpkins which pulled at their gravity like ying of yang, and our off-kilter band of misfits bestowed on the malaise of 90’s adolescence. Paaaaaarrrrrpppp!

Old 10-20-2020, 07:53 PM   #5152
houseofglass11
Minion of Satan

Damn are you sure you’re not Billy himself? 10/10

Old 10-20-2020, 07:55 PM   #5153
myosis
Minion of Satan

Malkmus was actually a Zwan fan. What kind of jealous behaviour has he possibly exhibited? Name-dropping SP in a song in 1994 isn't one.

Old 10-20-2020, 08:14 PM   #5154
Shallowed
Braindead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woody View Post
Blog post 15 years from now.

“I had a long feud with Stephen Malkmus, for I believe I once called him a jealous hack although in truth a fan, no doubt intentionally needling me, caught me at a vulnerable moment as is oft the case in our Autumnul years. Observing his late turn of fortune, and reassuring him we all have a function, for Stephen Malkmus & co’s well-deserved and long overdue inclusion in our esteemed rock n roll hall of fame, an institution I have been approached with regard on many occasion, alas circumstance and duty prevented me from accepting, it is finally time to bury the hatchet, stringed or otherwise, and celebrate the contributions Pavement and vicariously the Pumpkins which pulled at their gravity like ying of yang, and our off-kilter band of misfits bestowed on the malaise of 90’s adolescence. Paaaaaarrrrrpppp!
Good effort but not incomprehensible enough.

Old 10-20-2020, 08:27 PM   #5155
Joey Goldberg
Minion of Satan

wind, water, trees, malkmus... oh how i've misread thee! from dawn to dusk & angels to demons, thou words written once smited an old bitch like me, squire of a generation as i may be. but now i see no cord was to be cut, no seed unsewn, through the eyes of innocent Juppiter i forgive thee, were even there a thing to forgive. a nature boy who gives a fuck... i welcome you to my heartworld with trumpets, trombones, and lines of fresh asses loaded well over their weight with gold & myrrh - HARK!

Old 10-20-2020, 08:30 PM   #5156
pinetree
Ownz

2008 interview:
Billy Corgan reportedly was so upset about the Pavement song “Range Life,” in which you dis Smashing Pumpkins and Stone Temple Pilots, that he refused to play Lollapalooza ’94 if you were on the bill. Have you and Billy settled that beef?

No, but I have a feeling that Billy’s gotten over it. I made a game of it in the press, like there was some kind of war between us. I don’t even know if the Lollapalooza story was true. The lyric wasn’t even a particularly bad jab. Smashing Pumpkins and Stone Temple Pilots are both just names that I thought sounded really funny. I would like to apologize to them for making fun of their names. It’s not like Pavement was the best name, anyway.

---

2 years later BC put out his pathetic tweets about being on the bill with Pave in Brazil. Guess SM overestimated BC's maturity and decency.

Old 10-20-2020, 08:31 PM   #5157
Disco King
Minion of Satan

I honestly don't get the Pavement thing. The line referencing the Pumpkins in the song doesn't seem in any way to me a criticism or dismissal of the band at all. It literally just seems like a reference. What the hell is Corgan reading into that? What exactly does he perceive Pavement as trying to say about him?

Or did he just make an error years ago, but now that he did that publicly, he has to commit to it and can't admit, "yeah, I misinterpreted that song lyric and actually they did nothing bad to me"?

Old 10-20-2020, 08:35 PM   #5158
pinetree
Ownz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disco King View Post
I honestly don't get the Pavement thing. The line referencing the Pumpkins in the song doesn't seem in any way to me a criticism or dismissal of the band at all. It literally just seems like a reference. What the hell is Corgan reading into that? What exactly does he perceive Pavement as trying to say about him?

Or did he just make an error years ago, but now that he did that publicly, he has to commit to it and can't admit, "yeah, I misinterpreted that song lyric and actually they did nothing bad to me"?
billy has incredibly thin skin, add that to an endlessly inflated ego, and then you get the William Patrick Corgan we all know and barf about. Almost any other artist wouldn't have thought twice about it. Billy is still pissed 25 years later lol

Old 10-20-2020, 09:50 PM   #5159
myosis
Minion of Satan

OK it seems that 2 years ago Malkmus dismissed the SP reunion, pointing out that it was the Xth reunion (SP 5.0) and D'arcy wasn't part of it, and that at least there was no boring album.

Knowing the guy I'm sure it was just said casually as part of an interview, rather than with bare teeth, but BC could easily imagine him spewing this with anger, a bit like you guys keep imagining that everything BC posts on instagram is done in some kind of fit of rage.

Old 10-20-2020, 10:52 PM   #5160
Joey Goldberg
Minion of Satan

you mean you don't feel the seething anger in statements like "BOTTLEG ILLEGAL" ?