Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > General Boards > General Chat Message Board
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 02-24-2022, 03:37 PM   #5821
topleybird
Janis Jopleybird

Location: Let me see you do the booty hop. And now make the booty stop. Now drop, and do the booty wop.
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by killtrocity View Post
am I so wrong for wanting just one more return to my teenage male power fantasy
I mean, this is exactly the way it was marketed, as more of the same, and I've certainly struggled to approach a movie on its own terms before when I had a very different idea of what it was going to be, so I understand

But you can sum up the entire raison d'être of so much shit out there these days with this Tumblr post:

So I'm glad as hell Lana W. was able to take a mandated sequel that, as they say in the movie, Warner Bros were going to make with or without them, and not only give a middle finger to redpillers and the state of the film industry, but also just plain reclaim what this whole story meant to her

Old 02-25-2022, 03:49 PM   #5822
killtrocity
Saturday Night Goth

You're completely right, and I've been forced to confront some uncomfortable aspects of myself in the wake of Matrix 4. Why do I/we get off on beautiful depictions of graphic violence in visual media? John Wick is cool. I still, unapologetically, love John Wick. But does EVERYTHING have to be grimdark, nihilistic, 108 headshot extravaganza? Yes, modernity is morally bankrupt, now what are we going to do about it? Revel in it some more?

I actually deleted the Facebook app as a direct result of this movie. It forced me to accept that with social media, we are the commodity, our emotions generate the ad revenue, the propagation of the marketing campaigns operates in this eternal engine of cute puppy videos and prominent figures "SLAMMING" each other without effect.

Glup Shitto is the perfect summation of modernity, I love it. Not getting rid of my plastic figurines though. Not yet.

Old 02-25-2022, 08:13 PM   #5823
Disco King
Minion of Satan

I feel like I heard about Matrix 4 being announced, and I assumed it was just greenlit or starting production and would be out in a year or two or something. Then I heard something about the movie having had come out a couple of months ago.

Old 03-06-2022, 03:00 PM   #5824
Disco King
Minion of Satan

Watched The Batman last night.

I really dug the police procedural aspects of the first two acts, especially as it has a lot of the detective elements that have been sorely missing from past Batman movies. But the third act kinda drags.

Pattinson is great as Batman, though I think not distinguishing the Wayne side of the character from the Batman side kinda takes the fun of each Batman actor having to play two characters away.

Best Batmobile of any bat-flick. And I'm not even talking about the design (it looks great, but I think I prefer the Burton-mobile's design). I mean it as a character. It feels like some haunted, sentient creature from a highway horror story.

I'm trying to resist the urge to compare it to and rank it amongst other Batman movies instead of just appraising it's individual merits and letting it sink in first, but I still can't help but feel that though this has a lot of the shit I've wanted in a Batman film for some time, Batman Begins is still a better overall package as far as first Batman films go. Not sure how I'd rank it with '89. They seem too different to directly compare.

Old 03-08-2022, 10:24 AM   #5825
topleybird
Janis Jopleybird

Location: Let me see you do the booty hop. And now make the booty stop. Now drop, and do the booty wop.
Question

House of Gucci: Ultimately, just not an interesting enough story, but I feel bad shit-talking a Ridley Scott film. Lady Gaga did fine, although I think all the people furious she didn't get an Oscar nomination are confusing "big acting" with "great acting." Surprise standout: Jared Leto was actually really funny? I have no idea why they put him under 30 pounds of makeup that add up to him looking nothing like the real guy he's playing, but he was entertaining as hell, and I fucking hate him as a human being. Tonally it feels like everyone's in their own separate version of the movie, and he's in the comedy, which is the only version I really enjoyed. B-

Old 03-08-2022, 01:15 PM   #5826
smashingjj
real estate cowboy

Hytti nro 6 a.k.a. Compartment number 6:

Very real and natural and pleasant to watch all the way through. Maybe a tad too long, but then any movie longer than 1,5 hours is too long for my tastes. A-

Old 03-30-2022, 08:23 PM   #5827
smashingjj
real estate cowboy

Cop Secret - A+++++++++++++, best movie of all time, this is the one, go see it

Old 03-30-2022, 08:24 PM   #5828
smashingjj
real estate cowboy

Crush - F----------------------- the worst piece of shit I've ever watched, avoid at all costs

Old 03-30-2022, 08:28 PM   #5829
ovary
Ownz

i watched the seventh seal last night. pretty ball ball baller i'd say

Old 03-31-2022, 04:55 AM   #5830
teh b0lly!!1
Braindead

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by smashingjj View Post
Crush - F----------------------- the worst piece of shit I've ever watched, avoid at all costs
oh I don't know, it was lauded as a British film that will make you LAUGH n' CRY

Old 03-31-2022, 04:58 AM   #5831
teh b0lly!!1
Braindead

I'm assuming you mean Crash?

Old 03-31-2022, 05:01 AM   #5832
teh b0lly!!1
Braindead

no seriously you probably mean Cronenberg's Crash?

a perplexing amount of films called crash, crush, teh crash and\or crush

Old 03-31-2022, 05:05 AM   #5833
teh b0lly!!1
Braindead

I've been meaning to watch the cronenberg one for years but something keeps me away. I'm never in the mood to be smacked with phantasmagoric sexual gore I guess. if by some statistical Miracle this is indeed the film you watched, is that why you didn't like it?

Old 03-31-2022, 05:05 AM   #5834
teh b0lly!!1
Braindead

GOD IT'S SUCH A FUCKING BALLSACK DRAGGING ON GRAVEL TRYING TO POST WITH THE FLOW IN THIS TERRIBLE BOARD

everything is getting stuck and I'm logged out more times than I can count

are there any moderators in this joke?

Old 03-31-2022, 05:09 AM   #5835
teh b0lly!!1
Braindead

Lol....Lol....lol.........

Old 03-31-2022, 05:11 AM   #5836
smashingjj
real estate cowboy

nah

Old 03-31-2022, 05:11 AM   #5837
teh b0lly!!1
Braindead

seriously somebody needs to fix the board protocol or whatever cause keep getting logged out and stuck in netpho purgatory loading pages is harshing my vibe

what if I was having a suicidal meltdown right now and had to wait 2 minutes for a page to load between posts?

Old 03-31-2022, 05:13 AM   #5838
teh b0lly!!1
Braindead

seriously somebody needs to fix the board protocol or whatever cause keep getting logged out and stuck in netpho purgatory loading pages is harshing my vibe

what if I was having a suicidal meltdown right now and had to wait 2 minutes for a page to load between posts?

Old 03-31-2022, 05:13 AM   #5839
teh b0lly!!1
Braindead

AHHHHHHHH DOUBLE POST YOU SEE WHAT HAPPENED

Old 03-31-2022, 05:15 AM   #5840
teh b0lly!!1
Braindead

i'm sorry

Old 03-31-2022, 10:20 AM   #5841
topleybird
Janis Jopleybird

Thumbs up

Srs response: I was having that problem for like two weeks, and I deleted any 'phoria cookies, checked the "Remember me" or "Keep me logged in" or whatever thing next time I logged in, and I've been okay since

The French Dispatch: B+? I love that Anderson is just doing exactly what he wants, and everyone else can go screw, but I would've liked some kind of emotional core I guess? Maybe I just didn't pick up on it

Anyway this Chalamet kid, I'm beginning to understand why people like him so much, instant, perfect fit with the usual Anderson troupe

Nightmare Alley: A-. Great, actual noir; could've done without Del Toro's glee for inflicting great violence to people's faces but I suppose that's his prerogative

I've seen a lot of people complain "Oh, the ending is obvious within the first 20 minutes," but to me that was the point, waiting with appropriate noir dread to see how it gets there

Design for Living

These pre-code films, man, I love 'em; you couldn't see a movie about a straight-up polycule for like another thirty or forty years

Ultimately I still prefer Lubitsch's Trouble in Paradise, another one with a great Miriam Hopkins performance and maybe my favorite movie period, but this was still a great time. Rating: A

Old 03-31-2022, 12:12 PM   #5842
smashingjj
real estate cowboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by teh b0lly!!1 View Post

the only one who can fundamentally fix issues like this is the one who is present so little that people question his very existence

he did put the whole thing over to a new server though, just a few weeks ago. maybe it has to do with that? I have no idea

also, neither on my laptop nor on my phone am I aver suddenly logged out, so for some reason it varies per poster, of course

Old 03-31-2022, 12:12 PM   #5843
smashingjj
real estate cowboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by teh b0lly!!1 View Post
no seriously you probably mean Cronenberg's Crash?

a perplexing amount of films called crash, crush, teh crash and\or crush
teh_cr4shy!!1

Old 03-31-2022, 12:13 PM   #5844
smashingjj
real estate cowboy

it's new and on Netflix, unimaginebly bland and predictable, so badly acted that it makes you wonder if it's meant like a satire

Old 03-31-2022, 12:17 PM   #5845
smashingjj
real estate cowboy

and for some reason I can't seem to find an imdb link. anyway, spare yourself the annoyance

Old 03-31-2022, 12:22 PM   #5846
teh b0lly!!1
Braindead

Cop Secret sounds great tho. I think I'll check it out soon

Old 03-31-2022, 12:32 PM   #5847
Disco King
Minion of Satan

Quote:
the only one who can fundamentally fix issues like this is the one who is present so little that people question his very existence
God is always present at your doorstep. You just have to open the door to let him in.

Old 03-31-2022, 12:35 PM   #5848
teh b0lly!!1
Braindead

Kinda surprised nobody mentioned Licorice Pizza at all. Did anyone check it out?

Not PTA's best at all, for me, but still a solid picture. The scale is much smaller with this one. It's not even meant to compete with his heavyweight works, There Will Be Blood, The Master or Phantom Thread. It's more like PTA's family and friends movie that is essentially based on his infatuation with Alana Haim. The story just isn't really there at any point in the film, but it's more like a mood piece that is strangely in line with Tarantino's "love letter to hollywood" just a couple years prior (and I swear to god if I'll hear one more person repeating that PR pamplet quote shit I will fucking throw up). Very "Dazed and Confused" and brimming in nostalgia, but also smart enough to acknowledge subtly that everything was still kind of shitty even back then, and that we're all fucked, stupid and flawed, but that's life. I love PTA, probably my favorite filmmaker working today, and even in one of his less engaging films he's still brilliant at his craft and a pleasure to watch.

Old 03-31-2022, 12:42 PM   #5849
topleybird
Janis Jopleybird

Quote:
and for some reason I can't seem to find an imdb link. anyway, spare yourself the annoyance
All right, bud, absolutely, we'll all avoid watching the weird dream you had, thanks for the heads up, all right, talk to you later

Is he gone?

Old 03-31-2022, 06:53 PM   #5850
smashingjj
real estate cowboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by topleybird View Post
All right, bud, absolutely, we'll all avoid watching the weird dream you had, thanks for the heads up, all right, talk to you later

Is he gone?

OK listen up DJ Fuckface, if that is even your real name

The film was marketed as "Crush" on Netflix, as it turns out its title was "Shattered" originally. https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1492300...=nv_sr_srsg_10

Better watch it, punk. I'm a moderator and I will make your life hell.