Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Smashing Pumpkins Boards > Smashing Pumpkins/Billy Corgan Discussion
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 02-04-2022, 09:38 PM   #1
Teagardener
Pledge

Default Lillian Gish

Lillian Gish was a staunch supporter of the Republican Party and an active anti-communist. She went to her grave denying that The Birth of a Nation (1915) was racist, despite ongoing protests that it was a glorification of the Ku Klux Klan. She was thrilled to be invited to the White House by President Warren G. Harding following the premiere of Orphans of the Storm (1921), and met with Benito Mussolini, whom she greatly admired, while filming Romola (1924) in Italy. She was an ardent supporter of the America First Committee, which was opposed to the United States entering World War II, and refused to vote for either Franklin Delano Roosevelt or Wendell Willkie in 1940 because both "were more interested in other countries than in their own."

Old 02-04-2022, 09:59 PM   #2
Shallowed
Braindead

i looked up Lillian Gish recently and was unpleasantly surprised to discover this

Old 02-04-2022, 11:12 PM   #3
Ram27
dumb

yeah but billy wanted to pipe

Old 02-05-2022, 06:41 AM   #4
TheAlter
Apocalyptic Poster

Most people were racist bigots back then, who cares?

She was a pioneer and the biggest star of her time.

Old 02-05-2022, 08:41 AM   #5
Shallowed
Braindead

those that protested the movie at the time were probably less racist than the average person

Old 02-05-2022, 04:04 PM   #6
topleybird
Janis Jopleybird

Location: Let me see you do the booty hop. And now make the booty stop. Now drop, and do the booty wop.
Lightbulb

Coco Chanel was a Nazi agent. Does that make me reevaluate my feelings about her? Yes

Nancy Reagan was the blowjob queen of Hollywood. Does that make me reevaluate my feelings about her? No. Well kinda but not in a "was she good or evil" way

H.P. Lovecraft was so racist that other racists in his time thought he was a freak. Does that make me reevaluate my feelings about him? Yes, jesus, like 99% of his stories come from his hatred of other races/sick obsession with miscegenation

Lillian Gish was a massive sack of shit. Does that make me reevaluate my feelings about her? What feelings, lol, who the fuck, lmao

Old 02-05-2022, 04:06 PM   #7
topleybird
Janis Jopleybird

Location: Let me see you do the booty hop. And now make the booty stop. Now drop, and do the booty wop.
Cool

If you need to engage with the work of a silent film actress namechecked by Billy, ditch Gish and go with Loy, whose work in the Thin Man films is a goddamn timeless delight

Like, they've got some racism, but a period-appropriate level of racism

Old 02-05-2022, 04:12 PM   #8
Disco King
Minion of Satan

I've always preferred when they just put a disclaimer in front of old works that say "we're sorry, people were racist af back then; we don't condone it, but we won't rewrite history, either" to when they go back and edit that shit out.

Like fuck, I wanna watch the real movie, not a sanitized version of it.

Old 02-05-2022, 05:49 PM   #9
Shallowed
Braindead

every photo of lovecraft looks like mark zuckerberg trying to muster up the courage to say "you wanna say that to my face?"

Old 02-05-2022, 07:44 PM   #10
Disco King
Minion of Satan

Old 02-05-2022, 08:51 PM   #11
TheAlter
Apocalyptic Poster

Preacher!? Hell, now we’re talking!

Old 02-06-2022, 06:58 PM   #12
CherryRay
Pledge

Quote:
Originally Posted by topleybird View Post
If you need to engage with the work of a silent film actress namechecked by Billy, ditch Gish and go with Loy, whose work in the Thin Man films is a goddamn timeless delight

Like, they've got some racism, but a period-appropriate level of racism
There's a shot in the first Thin Man film with Myrna kinda slouching in a chair...

Old 02-07-2022, 11:36 AM   #13
topleybird
Janis Jopleybird

Question

I found that pretty harshly and needlessly racist against Samoans, yes; hard to defend