Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Smashing Pumpkins Boards > Smashing Pumpkins/Billy Corgan Discussion
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 03-14-2023, 02:58 PM   #31
ilikeplanets
Braindead

Quote:
Originally Posted by paranoid View Post
some of you have your heads so far up your cynical asses that you missed the part about him saying this is a cover band covering old school SP.

I mean, talk about fodder for ridicule.
It's important to keep in mind that most people are just going to listen to the songs without their context within the "story." Musically, they just aren't strong enough.

That's why I said he should have released Atum alongside whatever accompanying visuals he has in mind, because that way the entire project could be better understood from the beginning.

Old 03-14-2023, 03:01 PM   #32
paranoid
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilikeplanets View Post
It's important to keep in mind that most people are just going to listen to the songs without their context within the "story." Musically, they just aren't strong enough.

That's why I said he should have released Atum alongside whatever accompanying visuals he has in mind, because that way the entire project could be better understood from the beginning.
your criticisms are always on point. it's the dudes that jump to the usual tropes to a point i'm not even sure they're listening. like corgan handed you a line that has endless potential for insults and i'm stuck here reading the usual lines i see here every damn week. netphoria has lost it's magic.

i want the guy back that told Bolly zeitgeist was too red. now that's gold!

Old 03-14-2023, 03:26 PM   #33
absof
Demi-God

gold website, red website, who gives a shit? #happygilmore

(I only hashtagged coz I feel like paranoid is ready to tee off (lol) on someone)

Old 03-14-2023, 04:14 PM   #34
T&T
Socialphobic

seriously...
what fan community is mocking the younger females for liking the new music?
I really don't place Netphoria at the end of that attack.

Old 03-14-2023, 04:22 PM   #35
Ram27
dumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilikeplanets View Post

i like how jimmy said you need to listen to the whole album at once [and SP insta just posted this] but billy is doing the most laborious release strategy

Old 03-14-2023, 04:38 PM   #36
paranoid
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by T&T View Post
seriously...
what fan community is mocking the younger females for liking the new music?
I really don't place Netphoria at the end of that attack.
Throw a 15 year old female fan into this forum and I’m sure a good chunk of you would pile on her.

Old 03-14-2023, 05:00 PM   #37
ourruseoffools
Apocalyptic Poster

To the 15 yr old out there blasting atum in your AirPods

There’s hope for you <3 I mean it

Old 03-14-2023, 05:05 PM   #38
Ram27
dumb

if anyone is being mocked, i don't think it's for being young females [as the remark implies] but simply for liking the music, which shouldn't be liked

Old 03-14-2023, 05:15 PM   #39
violetrayzzz
Oblivious Virgin

They're still talking about the chat? sigh. Nobody said anything remotely close to what they're portraying. Sad to see it taken so far out of context. I had typed the whole story but I edited it out. I just don't want to perpetuate things any longer.

Last edited by violetrayzzz : 03-14-2023 at 05:32 PM.

Old 03-14-2023, 06:01 PM   #40
ilikeplanets
Braindead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ram27 View Post
if anyone is being mocked, i don't think it's for being young females [as the remark implies] but simply for liking the music, which shouldn't be liked
Obviously BC can't wrap his head around this concept and has to make it into a personal thing when it's a musical thing

Old 03-14-2023, 06:02 PM   #41
ilikeplanets
Braindead

None of us would be talking to each other without the connecting factor of the music, so that is actually the crux of every criticism. At least at the beginning of the conversation, or with someone who isn't well known.

Old 03-14-2023, 06:11 PM   #42
paranoid
Minion of Satan

you guys don't think there's some mentally unstable older male pumpkins fans not preying on female fans out there?

lol.

Old 03-14-2023, 06:34 PM   #43
ilikeplanets
Braindead

I'm sure there are, but that's not really specific to Pumpkins fans, sadly. I've definitely seen more widespread and upfront creepiness in other communities.

Last edited by ilikeplanets : 03-14-2023 at 06:41 PM.

Old 03-14-2023, 06:49 PM   #44
pinetree
Ownz

i only listened to 20 seconds or so but it sounded like one of the lyrics was "my dicks have dicks"

can anyone confirm

Old 03-14-2023, 06:53 PM   #45
ilikeplanets
Braindead

So, disregard what I said about upfront creepiness!

Old 03-14-2023, 07:51 PM   #46
Machinist
Ownz

Quote:
Originally Posted by paranoid View Post
some of you have your heads so far up your cynical asses that you missed the part about him saying this is a cover band covering old school SP.

I mean, talk about fodder for ridicule.
I don't know about others, but I skip to the song. I listened to the first of these podcasts, but it's meandering self-aggrandizing nonsense with hosts who are clearly paid for cheerleaders. I really don't care about the back story 'concept' - maybe I will once the full album is out, but as for now - nope.

Old 03-14-2023, 08:03 PM   #47
Ram27
dumb

yeah i am just unable to care about overarching stories in records. i'm here for music and emotive lyrics, not character arcs

Old 03-14-2023, 08:04 PM   #48
Ram27
dumb

the golden era shit where he'd say 'ruby' or 'june' in a few random songs was absolutely killer, a nice little ribbon on the song, but anything beyond is just too much, too overdone

Old 03-14-2023, 08:22 PM   #49
houseofglass11
Minion of Satan

Not sure how we went from “y’all are dumb cause you didn’t listen to every second of every podcast like me and don’t understand Billy’s dumb concept” to SP fans are creepy sex abusers. But ok, if you need another soapbox to display how you’re the most tolerant and enlightened person here do go on.

Old 03-14-2023, 11:10 PM   #50
paranoid
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by houseofglass11 View Post
Not sure how we went from “y’all are dumb cause you didn’t listen to every second of every podcast like me and don’t understand Billy’s dumb concept” to SP fans are creepy sex abusers. But ok, if you need another soapbox to display how you’re the most tolerant and enlightened person here do go on.
you take everything so personally. chill brah

Old 03-15-2023, 03:37 AM   #51
ilikeplanets
Braindead

So about the song: the verses are nice! Katie ruins the chorus. And in no universe does this sound like an MCIS b-side.

Old 03-15-2023, 03:49 AM   #52
VoxUpDoc
Apocalyptic Poster

Do Corgan’s ears work? How is this 1996 Pumpkins?

Old 03-15-2023, 03:52 AM   #53
VoxUpDoc
Apocalyptic Poster

Also Bill’s like Joe Pesci, asking a fan what he thought of the website and when he gave clear feedback Bill’s “head exploded” - this is how sensitive he is to criticism? Also another celeb was an asshole for not remembering they met?

This is why Bill surrounded himself with folks who enable this music.

Old 03-15-2023, 06:13 AM   #54
MyKeyZ
Apocalyptic Poster

Atum is shit no matter the explanation.

Old 03-15-2023, 06:18 AM   #55
eviltimeban
Apocalyptic Poster

So has Billy gone me-ta, if this is supposedly a cover band playing in the OG style?

Is that something to do with the "story"? Sorry, I'm paying zero attention to that end of things.

Old 03-15-2023, 06:26 AM   #56
MyKeyZ
Apocalyptic Poster

Except I don't hear OG SP anywhere on this album. Not even a tiny resemblance.

If this is Billy's version of an SP cover band, where do the wrestlers fit in?

Old 03-15-2023, 06:28 AM   #57
djzap
Pledge

Quote:
Originally Posted by eviltimeban View Post
So has Billy gone me-ta, if this is supposedly a cover band playing in the OG style?

Is that something to do with the "story"? Sorry, I'm paying zero attention to that end of things.
i mean the whole character of shiny is a thinly veiled version of billy.
i think the revision of mcis being this character 'zero' is a way to rationalise lyrics he's written that he doesn't necessarily fuck with anymore, like "no that wasn't me saying that, that doesn't represent ME, that was a character, who is extremely like me but NOT me" etc.

so anyway yeah in this story shiny has returned from exile and his megafans are throwing him a party and a cover band are playing the old hits and shiny gets up and sings this one with them. so this is supposed to be a song from the 'zero' days. in the podcast billy says while some of the other tracks like beguiled and empires are modern takes on the old sound, this one is deliberately supposed to just be that old sound.

Old 03-15-2023, 06:31 AM   #58
MyKeyZ
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by djzap View Post
i mean the whole character of shiny is a thinly veiled version of billy.
i think the revision of mcis being this character 'zero' is just billy covering for lyrics he wrote, like "no that wasn't me saying that, that was a character, who is extremely like me but NOT me" etc.

so anyway yeah in this story shiny has returned from exile and his megafans are throwing him a party and a cover band are playing the old hits and shiny gets up and sings this one with them. so this is supposed to be a song from the 'zero' days. in the podcast billy says while some of the other tracks like beguiled and empires are modern takes on the old sound, this one is deliberately supposed to just be that old sound.
I didn't realize the old sound sucked this much.

Old 03-15-2023, 06:32 AM   #59
djzap
Pledge

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyKeyZ View Post
I didn't realize the old sound sucked this much.
yeah like i really feel like this finally puts to bed all that shit he's said about 'i could write siamese dream 2 whenever i want' lol. i don't even want him to repeat himself tbh. but he did a pretty good job with marchin on.

Old 03-15-2023, 07:45 AM   #60
enthusaroo
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by djzap View Post
yeah like i really feel like this finally puts to bed all that shit he's said about 'i could write siamese dream 2 whenever i want' lol. i don't even want him to repeat himself tbh. but he did a pretty good job with marchin on.
what the hell you talking about he wrote MCIS 2 (ATUM) and the sequel to Machina (ATUM) surely he could easily write SD2