Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Archives > Music Board Archive
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List

Old 06-25-2009, 05:25 AM   #1
Catherine Wheel
Banned

Default Is it ok to call Common a sellout?

I was never his biggest fan but there are a few nice cuts off of Like Water For Chocolate and Be. But now between the club-rap of his last album and his appearance on the new Jonas Brothers cd I think he's lost a lot of credibility. Maybe with his movie career taking off ( considering the success of American Gangster, Wanted, and Terminator Salvation ) his heart just isn't in music as much as it used to be. Or maybe it's something else. What do you think?

Old 06-25-2009, 07:50 AM   #2
ChristHimself!
mental problems angel

i can't believe im replying to a catherine wheel thread

i like Be, really like it. but nothing else he's done has really interested me

politics-wise, it also kinda pissed me off that i he was involved in something to do with hip hop artists against homophobia, but at the same time he's gone out there as saying he's against interracial marriage, which is just dumb as fuck

Old 06-25-2009, 07:19 PM   #3
Trotskilicious
Banned

Location: I believe in the transcendental qualities of friendship.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristHimself! View Post
but at the same time he's gone out there as saying he's against interracial marriage, which is just dumb as fuck
don't worry he'll end up marrying a white girl

Old 06-25-2009, 07:24 PM   #4
ravenguy2000
NO FATS

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristHimself! View Post
but at the same time he's gone out there as saying he's against interracial marriage, which is just dumb as fuck
for real?

Old 06-25-2009, 07:18 PM   #5
Trotskilicious
Banned

yes he's a sellout

i dunno what happened after be but it's been all downhill so whateves. HE IN MOVIES HE A BEEG STAR HEE HEE.

Old 06-25-2009, 07:28 PM   #6
ChristHimself!
mental problems angel

yeah

from wiki

Following the release of Be in 2005, several mixed-race artists from the UK hip-hop scene took exception to Common's comments about interracial relationships on the song "Real People", and in an interview. The situation started out with an article from UK's Touch magazine, in which he stated "When you see dreadlocked dudes with white girls that’s like they going against what the dreadlock’s purpose was."[8] Yungun, Doc Brown and Rising Son recorded a track over an instrumental version of "The Corner" named "Dear Common (The Corner Dub)". Common states that he has heard of the track but never actually taken the time to listen to it, and has not retaliated in song.[9]

lyrics from real people for reference

Black men walking wit white girls on they arms
I be mad at em as if I know they moms
Told to go beyond the surface, a person's a person
When we lessen our women our condition seems to worsen

im sure he was more specific than that in an interview i either read or listened to somewhere online

Old 06-25-2009, 07:52 PM   #7
pugghead
Pledge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catherine Wheel View Post
Iis it ok to call Common a sellout
no ...selling out only applies to white people.

Old 06-26-2009, 05:22 AM   #8
Catherine Wheel
Banned

I found this hilarious review of Common's Universal Mind Control at rateyourmusic.com

Universal Mind Control by Common : Reviews and Ratings - Rate Your Music

Fade in on the schoolyard. Common sits on a bench, watching all the other boys as they brag, boast and taunt their way through a particularly loud and coarse game of Dodgeball. Usually an optimistic and clear-headed straight A student, he holds a somber look on his face, still bothered by his mediocre grades last year. A flurry of thoughts go through his mind. Perhaps academics isn't everything? Perhaps he should learn to have a little more fun? Perhaps he should make at least some attempt at fitting in. Suddenly, fed up with all the other kids constantly excluding him from their games, he steps up and marches into the crowd...

Common: Hey guys how's it going!

Everyone turns to stare at Common, absorbing his whimpy voice, tame demeanor and depressing sense of fashion; coke bottle glasses, sandals w/ socks and a lunchbox with a peace sign on it. Kanye, the most popular of the group and Common's lone friend, develops a look of concern. Suddenly someone breaks the silence.

Jay-Z: whatcha want, faggot!

Common: ...Well, um...i was wondering if you could...maybe let me in on this game?

There's a long silent pause before the group explodes in a fit of laughter.

Ludacris: Aww, this bitch wants to play with the big boys now!

The wall of roaring laughter continues as Kanye leaves the group and runs over to Common.

Kanye: Look Common, I'm your friend. You know I almost always support you. But this is a little out of your league. Dodgeball just isn't your thing. Why don't you go back to class for lunch? I know Ms. Rosemary could use some help, and she'll probably love that last poem you wrote. I'll meet you there in like 15 minutes.

Common: Hey man, I'm sick of this! I know how your friends constantly talk shit about me! Calling me gay, and pussy, and teacher's pet and nerd. I can talk about girls, and play-fight and Dodgeball just as well as the rest of you! Just teach me how to play and I'll pick it up real quick!

Timbaland: ahhaha! Come on guys, let's give him a shot; it'll be worth a laugh at least.

Kanye: I'm sorry Common but I'm not gonna help you out here. I really don't think this is such a good idea.

Common: well...won't anyone teach me how to play at least!?

Pharrell: eh...I guess I'll help him out.

10 minutes later...

Kanye: OH MY GOD, COMMON WAKE UP PLEASE!

Kanye deleriously struggles to give CPR to Common's unconscious body.

Timbaland: man, he was doing pretty well...

Pharrell: psshh...only when I aimed my tender shots at him. I got just a little aggressive and then all of a sudden, he's sprawled on the floor. And I was barely even aiming too.

The Lesson learned? Always be yourself.

Old 06-26-2009, 03:47 PM   #9
Trotskilicious
Banned

yeah pretty much. he's pals with kanye so he thinks he can join the mainstream which is weird because it was nice that he was outside of it for so long

i mean it goes against a lot of what he's said before so yes, complete sellout.

Old 06-26-2009, 06:31 PM   #10
Joe
Apocalyptic Poster

if he has an album on a maj record label it's ok to call him a sellout