Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Archives > General Chat Archive
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 04-10-2011, 07:53 PM   #1
D.
Consume my pants.

Default worthwhile stuff to do in TN & GA?

driving over to ATL to see my cousin graduate and get married, so we'll be in west/middle TN for at least a day and GA for a coupla days.

anything worthwhile to do? I'm looking for experienced traveler opinions [i.e. sppunk or Toby, if he even posts here anymore] but I'll take anything.

also, it won't be til September.

Old 04-10-2011, 08:31 PM   #2
duovamp
Brazilian Blouselord

Shoot stuff and drink stuff. Ummm... I dunno, coming up short here.

Old 04-10-2011, 09:43 PM   #3
Trotskilicious
Banned

Location: I believe in the transcendental qualities of friendship.

hang out with dogfighter

Old 04-10-2011, 10:05 PM   #4
Order 66
Socialphobic

i think spankerine lives around there hit him up

Old 04-10-2011, 10:09 PM   #5
EyesOfAJackal
Apocalyptic Poster

If you like touristy stuff: Stone Mountain laser light show near ATL, the Georgia Aquarium is pretty cool (largest in the world?, they have whale sharks), the usual Coke museum (free samples from around the world). Nice shopping in at Lenox/Phipps in Buckhead. There's a drive-in theatre called Starlight 6 that's really old school (there are still two sets of each restroom from when it used to be segregated). Centennial Park; Piedmont Park is really beautiful

If you just want to drink/eat/see live music: Little Five Points is kind of fun to walk around and get a burger at the Vortex. There's a cool "karaoke" bar where you pick a song and a live band backs you up as the frontman called Metalsome. Brunch at Flying Biscuit near Decatur, which is also a nice place to walk around. Masquerade and the Loft usually have live music

edit: Atlanta stuff

Last edited by EyesOfAJackal : 04-10-2011 at 10:21 PM.

Old 04-10-2011, 10:16 PM   #6
EyesOfAJackal
Apocalyptic Poster

West TN, obviously Memphis bbq.

Middle TN, live music in Nashville/southern cooking. Monell's is amazing soul food served family style (homemade, whipped mashed potatoes, fried chicken, sweet tea, mouth-watering biscuits, etc), so is Loveless Cafe (great breakfast foods).

Also, an afternoons drive from Nashville is the Jack Daniel's distillery in Lynchburg, TN. DEFINITELY worth a side trip, the whole town is built around the distillery (which is ironically in a dry county) and it's fascinating to see the process by which they distill. It's the world's most popular whiskey and every drop is made there.

Old 04-11-2011, 12:32 AM   #7
exactlythesame
Minion of Satan

Location: I thought what I'd do is I'd pretend I was one of those deaf-mutes

Quote:
Originally Posted by EyesOfAJackal View Post
If you like touristy stuff: Stone Mountain laser light show near ATL, the Georgia Aquarium is pretty cool (largest in the world?, they have whale sharks), the usual Coke museum (free samples from around the world). Nice shopping in at Lenox/Phipps in Buckhead. There's a drive-in theatre called Starlight 6 that's really old school (there are still two sets of each restroom from when it used to be segregated). Centennial Park; Piedmont Park is really beautiful

If you just want to drink/eat/see live music: Little Five Points is kind of fun to walk around and get a burger at the Vortex. There's a cool "karaoke" bar where you pick a song and a live band backs you up as the frontman called Metalsome. Brunch at Flying Biscuit near Decatur, which is also a nice place to walk around. Masquerade and the Loft usually have live music

hit all the generally important stuff, kudos to you!

Old 04-11-2011, 12:49 AM   #8
EyesOfAJackal
Apocalyptic Poster

Old 04-11-2011, 01:22 PM   #9
Nimrod's Son
Master of Karate and Friendship

there is nothing to do in middle tennessee unless you want to go camping

Old 04-11-2011, 05:59 PM   #10
Elvis The Fat Years
007 373 5963

Quote:
Originally Posted by Order 66 View Post
i think spankerine lives around there hit him up
good idea. he sounds bored...

Mon, Apr. 11th, 2011, 12:52 am

"You've Got Mail" and "When Harry Met Sally" depress the fuck outta me.

Barely afloat on the seas on insanity.

Would really like to cry, die, and then float amidst psychedelic colors for eternity if at
all possible. Or else explode, destroy the universe, and then float amidst psychedelic
colors for eternity while people yell "why'd ya destroy the universe for?" and i giggle.

Everything pretty much sucks.

Yeah.

Old 04-11-2011, 08:22 PM   #11
Dogfighter28
ILL KILL UR DOG

yeah eyesofjackal pretty much covered everything i would have.

if you like outdoorsy stuff, go up to helen, ga for a day and eat german food after you spend a day hiking at raven cliffs. at the end of the trail you climb up a tree root system to an extremely high rock which would be quite easy to fall off and die from. its awesome.

Old 04-11-2011, 08:24 PM   #12
ilikeplanets
Braindead

Uh, leaving as quickly as possible.

Old 04-11-2011, 08:46 PM   #13
28if
Apocalyptic Poster

Location: yeah seriously i think we've more than established a consensus on reality, it's not that abstract.

i've always wanted to go to shiloh battlefield in southern tennessee. tried to go on the way back from arkansas last month but we were going to camp and it was pouring .

Old 04-11-2011, 10:59 PM   #14
D.
Consume my pants.

Quote:

Quote:
West TN, obviously Memphis bbq.

Middle TN, live music in Nashville/southern cooking. Monell's is amazing soul food served family style (homemade, whipped mashed potatoes, fried chicken, sweet tea, mouth-watering biscuits, etc), so is Loveless Cafe (great breakfast foods).

Also, an afternoons drive from Nashville is the Jack Daniel's distillery in Lynchburg, TN. DEFINITELY worth a side trip, the whole town is built around the distillery (which is ironically in a dry county) and it's fascinating to see the process by which they distill. It's the world's most popular whiskey and every drop is made there.
this all sounds excellent - I know I have the aquarium on the list but I'll check out the other stuff. I want to take off enough time so that we can lazily go through both states and not rush through.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogfighter28 View Post
yeah eyesofjackal pretty much covered everything i would have.
let's meet up. i haven't met any netphorians since like 2009.

Old 04-12-2011, 02:02 AM   #15
FoolofaTook
Just Hook it to My Veins!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trotskilicious View Post
hang out with dogfighter
lol beat me to it

Old 04-12-2011, 04:48 PM   #16
Dogfighter28
ILL KILL UR DOG

i'll make you go to the vortex because its awesome

Old 04-12-2011, 05:00 PM   #17
Trotskilicious
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 28if View Post
i've always wanted to go to shiloh battlefield in southern tennessee. tried to go on the way back from arkansas last month but we were going to camp and it was pouring .
places like that are usually more wack and more like history channel infotainment than you'd expect.

especially in the south. state legislatures would rather prop up cults of personality than actually look at real honest to god history.

Old 04-12-2011, 05:06 PM   #18
Ol' Couch Ass
Socialphobic

Here's a vote for the GA aquarium as it's pretty groovy. In addition, check the dates for possible concert opportunities as the Tabernacle is a great place to see a show.

Old 04-12-2011, 05:41 PM   #19
28if
Apocalyptic Poster

Location: yeah seriously i think we've more than established a consensus on reality, it's not that abstract.

Quote:
places like that are usually more wack and more like history channel infotainment than you'd expect.

especially in the south. state legislatures would rather prop up cults of personality than actually look at real honest to god history.
whatever man i'm not going for a history lesson i just want to explore the land on which the battle took place.

Old 04-12-2011, 05:48 PM   #20
Trotskilicious
Banned

what's the point of that, dude

Old 04-12-2011, 05:50 PM   #21
Trotskilicious
Banned

so you can post it on facebook and go "Here I am where over 150 years ago thousands upon thousands of people were killed because some people still wanted slaves. LOL"

Old 04-12-2011, 08:44 PM   #22
28if
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
what's the point of that, dude
because i read an account of someone visiting the battlefield and it was really powerful. also i'm a civil war nerd and i've already been to all the ones in my area. and also it sounds like the most interesting thing to do in TN?

Quote:
so you can post it on facebook and go "Here I am where over 150 years ago thousands upon thousands of people were killed because some people still wanted slaves. LOL"
i don't have a facebook hombre

Old 04-12-2011, 08:44 PM   #23
28if
Apocalyptic Poster

just the horse

Old 04-12-2011, 08:48 PM   #24
Trotskilicious
Banned

i really didn't imagine you to be some kind of war buff.

Old 04-13-2011, 05:15 AM   #25
Gish08
Apocalyptic Poster

Suicide?

Old 04-13-2011, 10:30 AM   #26
SlingeroGuitaro
Starbucks addicted minion

Fuck a goat