Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > General Boards > General Chat Message Board
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 02-03-2024, 08:42 AM   #451
Machinist
Ownz

It sounds amazing! Im similarly in a lucky situation (I live in a small house on the edge of a national park) but its through family we have this place. Here in Perth Australia there is zero chance of buying for most younger people (who don't work in mining) and rents have spiralled upwards, with availability non existent. If I wanted to move it would be impossible...there is literally nowhere available.

Old 02-03-2024, 09:09 AM   #452
ovary
Ownz

in the netherlands is is owner-occupied property a typical path to wealth generation like it is in the US? i assume it is in australia

Old 02-03-2024, 06:21 PM   #453
smashingjj
real estate cowboy

Definitely is, at least these days. The house my ex bought in 2014 is now worth more than double the amount.

Old 02-03-2024, 06:23 PM   #454
smashingjj
real estate cowboy

Needless to say, owning an actual apartment is out of the question for most of us, including myself.

Old 02-03-2024, 06:23 PM   #455
smashingjj
real estate cowboy

I still said it though. Deal with it.

Old 02-03-2024, 06:26 PM   #456
smashingjj
real estate cowboy

Cool

Old 02-05-2024, 06:22 AM   #457
Cool As Ice Cream
Just Hook it to My Veins!

hoera

Old 02-05-2024, 01:57 PM   #458
smashingjj
real estate cowboy

Old 02-05-2024, 02:00 PM   #459
smashingjj
real estate cowboy

Now stressing out about the actual moving to a small street in the centre with one way traffic and no option to park

Old 02-19-2024, 09:02 PM   #460
Ram27
dumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilp, closed thread
I've been working 2 part time jobs online for years, and one of them unceremoniously terminated my contract despite years of what they've considered excellent work and being promoted to auditor. No notice, just ousted. Luckily my other contract is teeming with work and I've just doubled up there. But it really has highlighted the downside of having no contacts or security with this type of work. If it happens again, I'm going to have some scrambling to do.
yooo my contract job just dropped me today out of nowhere, totally locked out my account and accumulated funds (which i do kinda need)

it's so fucking bad lol, 3 years of work w them and i get this stern note about 'policy violations' meaning god knows what, i've had zero negative feedback or warnings or anything

it's so fucking bad i'm not even upset, i'm just laughing at the absolute fucking shambles this is. i guess it's good this happened when i'm 27, plenty of time to do a kurt cobain (figure of speech, i am just extremely upset. honestly not even suicidal, just laughing at the pure pure dismay and shambles)

Last edited by Ram27 : 02-19-2024 at 09:30 PM.

Old 02-19-2024, 10:01 PM   #461
ilikeplanets
Braindead

Please give yourself some time, you'll figure out a next step. I know how horrible that feels, especially as someone who has struggled to figure out their employment situation.

That was definitely a shock, and even though things seem to be going along okay, I'm always paranoid about that happening again. Especially because I'm about to live above my means and send my kids to private school. I know I can't sustain it without cutting it SO close to debt, but I'm going for it for now.

My cousin's wife suggested I submit a resume to her, and she'd pass it along to the higher ups at her (prestigious) employer. She said this because we discussed how I work with AI, but prowling around on their website it's clear they're seeking those with advanced science and tech degrees. I have a BA in English and several years experience on the user side of AI, not innovation or programming. It's a shame because I know the salary would obviously be great, and my cousin's wife is very interesting and cool. And she breezily sends their 4 kids to private school. From a home that's approaching $1 million. Maybe if I make friends with the private school moms, I can find my way into one of those jobs that actually fits my skill set.

Old 02-20-2024, 03:33 AM   #462
Ram27
dumb

thank you <3. yeah honestly the worst thing about that job was every day i'd worry i'd get fired out of nowhere or the thing would close. i guess that's true for any job but it feels more possible when it's online -- and the fact that it's online makes it so painful to lose; it's perfect for my brain to be able to work like that. i'm getting a masters in library sciences rn but my inability to do job interviews/'career' type interactions makes it feel a bit futile or wishful thinking

Old 02-20-2024, 09:18 AM   #463
ilikeplanets
Braindead

It's absolutely always possible with online jobs. You're essentially just a low level grunt worker but in a different (better, admittedly) form. Unless you move up. I also struggle with a particularly negative family member saying things like "you don't work!" when I pull typical part-time job hours, and pay, on top of full time mom hours. Just because I'm not leaving the house to do it, and don't have meetings or coworkers. That's not needed for what I'm doing, and I love that about it. It's really only the one person saying that, but they're loud about it. Everyone else is lowkey fascinated.

Old 02-20-2024, 09:20 AM   #464
ilikeplanets
Braindead

I totally relate to feeling a bit of paralysis in certain workplace situations. I'm confident once I'm hired, but highly insecure about my patchy resume and trying to appear sincere in interviews as I struggle to gloss over that fact.

It could be worse. My dad just hired a felon who lives at a halfway house! He knows computers very well, but I'm sure he's had a massive struggle being taken seriously.

Last edited by ilikeplanets : 02-20-2024 at 09:37 AM.

Old 02-20-2024, 04:50 PM   #465
ourruseoffools
Apocalyptic Poster

I just started back at my old job. Substitute teaching was crap. I feel way better and most of the reasons I left haven’t been an issue at all. More money, more sunlight (vitamin d), more moving around (blüdflo)… get into blue collar rammy ram… you’ll be tired thoooo but I’m tired nonetheless

Old 02-20-2024, 06:13 PM   #466
ilikeplanets
Braindead

Definitely get a trade. Plumbers and electricians do pretty well, and there's always a need.

Old 02-21-2024, 01:25 AM   #467
Ram27
dumb

yeah i've lately been medium key missing when i delivered pizza even. it's tiring and shitty but there's satisfaction in that, somehow. it feels more real than just typing stuff

it's crazy how much a job can influence your life. like i try to be sort of agnostic to it as much as i can, but i'm straight up a different (arguably more well rounded?) person when i've been having 50 interactions w strangers a day versus just being on the computer. so much more camraderie

and yet even realizing that it's hard to want to change. staying inside when it's snowing is comfy as shit

Old 02-21-2024, 02:56 AM   #468
ilikeplanets
Braindead

For me, the total flexibility with my schedule is too necessary to give up for at least another year or so. I need to work at times that have nothing to do with business hours, and in unpredictable increments.There's not many options for that, and what I do pays fairly. Between my friends and family, and my kids' friends, school things, and various commitments, I don't need work as a social outlet. I'm not against that for my future, though. Being on a W2 would be nice, my taxes are quite high.

Old 02-21-2024, 08:49 AM   #469
ninsp
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ram27 View Post
yeah i've lately been medium key missing when i delivered pizza even. it's tiring and shitty but there's satisfaction in that, somehow. it feels more real than just typing stuff

it's crazy how much a job can influence your life. like i try to be sort of agnostic to it as much as i can, but i'm straight up a different (arguably more well rounded?) person when i've been having 50 interactions w strangers a day versus just being on the computer. so much more camraderie

and yet even realizing that it's hard to want to change. staying inside when it's snowing is comfy as shit
I got laid off from my last job a year ago which was easy, WFH. I knew it wasn't going to last, but I was resistant to change my field as I was miserable. Lo and behold, I got laid off, and found a career field I am passionate and excited about in higher education. Wonderful benefits, a pension, close to the house, I feel like I'm helping people...

My point is I've been so much happier since I changed careers and took a pay cut. Jobs do influence your life even if you say they don't. Sometimes you have to take a risk to better yourself and be happy.

Just my two cents.

Old 02-21-2024, 02:18 PM   #470
ovary
Ownz

i got fired last may and was devastated but then found an even better job but now i'm getting fired from that job so i'm devastated again

Old 02-21-2024, 02:18 PM   #471
ovary
Ownz

laid-off and non-renewed would be more specific verbs but it feels like shit-canned

Old 02-21-2024, 02:19 PM   #472
ovary
Ownz

i guess there's always the banana cart

Old 02-21-2024, 03:18 PM   #473
Elijah Moon
Apocalyptic Poster

I'm still working with dogs. Walking them, helping look after them at a doggy day care, sometimes pet sitting for people. It suits me fine because I love dogs, I have a natural affinity with them, and it's very beneficial to my mental health to spend time with them.

I mean, even if I were super rich and had no responsibilities I'd choose to spend a lot of time with dogs because they make me happy (or at least happier).

Old 02-22-2024, 05:17 AM   #474
vixnix
Socialphobic

Location: we are champions, bathed in the heat of a thousand flame wars in the grim future of the internet there is only netphoria

John Stewart is back and a supermarket has started making hot cross buns filled with biscoff spread.

These are the new good things in my life

Old 02-23-2024, 12:34 PM   #475
vixnix
Socialphobic

Location: we are champions, bathed in the heat of a thousand flame wars in the grim future of the internet there is only netphoria

The hot cross buns ended up being a disappointment

John Stewart is ok

I’m scraping the bottom of the barrel here.

Actually, my grandpa’s birthday is on Monday. He’s already over a hundred years old. So that’s pretty good

Old 02-23-2024, 02:49 PM   #476
TheAlter
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by vixnix View Post
You're buying baked goods at a supermarket

Don't act like you have standards

Old 02-23-2024, 03:06 PM   #477
Cool As Ice Cream

Quote:
Originally Posted by vixnix View Post
:'(

Old 02-23-2024, 03:44 PM   #478
Elijah Moon
Apocalyptic Poster

I love hot cross buns. I had one earlier today. I don't think I like the sound of biscoff spread ones, though. I'm not surprised they let you down.

Old 02-23-2024, 04:13 PM   #479
Cool As Ice Cream

i hate hot cross buns

Old 02-23-2024, 04:21 PM   #480
Ram27
dumb

many english pastries are weird