Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Smashing Pumpkins Boards > Smashing Pumpkins/Billy Corgan Discussion
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 08-06-2022, 05:54 AM   #271
TheSultanOfCyr
Ownz

Quote:
Originally Posted by enthusaroo View Post
sounds like an immune system problem.. I fly almost every week (with slight break during the pandemic).. and haven't gotten sick in over three years

Old 08-06-2022, 07:32 AM   #272
paranoid
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forgotten Child View Post
Is this implication pissing you off?
Nope, you’re just not making any sense.

Old 08-06-2022, 08:40 AM   #273
Forgotten Child
Apocalyptic Poster

Yeah. I got lost some time between the moment you desperately tried to justify Billy not being right-wing (or Libertarian or whatever) by using Perry Farrell's words instead and the moment you tried to do the same by mentioning a photo of him wearing a mask on the plane, even though that happened in 2018.

Old 08-07-2022, 06:57 PM   #274
paranoid
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Yeah. I got lost some time between the moment you desperately tried to justify Billy not being right-wing (or Libertarian or whatever) by using Perry Farrell's words instead and the moment you tried to do the same by mentioning a photo of him wearing a mask on the plane, even though that happened in 2018.
I think you got lost long before i made the assertion that he MIGHT be leaning more left these days. But yes, I think given the fact that he's been on Alex Jones show spouting nonsense before, a guy who just lost a low suit for spreading conspiracies about sandy hook, and he's now sitting on a stage with someone talking about sensible gun laws rather than spouting off nonsense says a lot. Especially after this happened in his own front yard.

I have also spoken to people that work close with him about his recent politics. I can assure you he's not a right wing trump supporting blow hard. No, I won't show you the proof, but your boy is indeed vaxed and waxed. sorry.

Old 08-07-2022, 07:48 PM   #275
Forgotten Child
Apocalyptic Poster

He's a free-market libertarian capitalist. He hasn't vote for anyone since 1992. He doesn't take "western medicine" since 2001 and, not so long ago, in 2009 (H1N1 pandemic), he declared the following:

"I do not trust those who make the vaccines, or the apparatus behind it all to push it on us thru fear. This is not judgment; it is a personal decision based on research, intuition, conversations with my doctor and my 'family.'"

I doubt he has changed that much in less than a decade.

Old 08-07-2022, 09:25 PM   #276
paranoid
Minion of Satan

Quote:
He's a free-market libertarian capitalist. He hasn't vote for anyone since 1992. He doesn't take "western medicine" since 2001 and, not so long ago, in 2009 (H1N1 pandemic), he declared the following:

"I do not trust those who make the vaccines, or the apparatus behind it all to push it on us thru fear. This is not judgment; it is a personal decision based on research, intuition, conversations with my doctor and my 'family.'"

I doubt he has changed that much in less than a decade.
You don’t think he’s changed much in the past decade? You haven’t been paying much attention, then.

Old 08-08-2022, 03:02 AM   #277
Forgotten Child
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by paranoid View Post
You don’t think he’s changed much in the past decade? You haven’t been paying much attention, then.
I don't think so, no. In 2015 he praised Trump for "fucking up the political class", in 2017 he wrote a song about chemtrails, in 2018 he was regretting having to go for antibiotics during the tour, in 2020 he was complaining not being able to talk about politics in America anymore. When did that change happen again?

Last edited by Forgotten Child : 08-08-2022 at 04:56 AM.

Old 08-08-2022, 08:04 AM   #278
paranoid
Minion of Satan

Quote:
I don't think so, no. In 2015 he praised Trump for "fucking up the political class", in 2017 he wrote a song about chemtrails, in 2018 he was regretting having to go for antibiotics during the tour, in 2020 he was complaining not being able to talk about politics in America anymore. When did that change happen again?
You completely missed the point I was trying to make and now you’re making shit up.

This is a seriously dumb argument. I don’t know how I got into this mess other than pointing out the obvious. He’s not the same person he was 8 years ago, and it goes far beyond his political leanings. He’s mellowed out a great deal.. what with having kids, reconciling with iha, fans, etc etc. but we’re all ultimately projecting here, aren’t we? Beyond why I do know, that is.

Old 08-08-2022, 08:35 AM   #279
Forgotten Child
Apocalyptic Poster

You got thrigerred because you care too much about Billy's/sp fans political views. That's why.

Last edited by Forgotten Child : 08-08-2022 at 11:53 AM.

Old 08-08-2022, 09:59 AM   #280
topleybird
Janis Jopleybird

Location: Let me see you do the booty hop. And now make the booty stop. Now drop, and do the booty wop.
Thumbs up

LOL caring is stupid, you lost bro, I'm just blowing hot air without conviction and that's why I stay winning

Old 08-08-2022, 02:30 PM   #281
paranoid
Minion of Satan

Quote:
You got thrigerred because you care too much about Billy's/sp fans political views. That's why.
also notice he was drinking out of plastic bottles at this show. remember when he was on a whole thing about that? how it was poisonous?

liberal plastic water drinking hippy.

Old 08-08-2022, 10:49 PM   #282
Forgotten Child
Apocalyptic Poster

It was actually a glass bottle. I paid careful attention to it.

Old 08-09-2022, 12:00 AM   #283
CherryRay
Pledge

Maybe Billy decided to go on right wing media because he couldn't predict youth trends anymore, and it seemed to him a more mature version of 'being hip' to get noticed.
If he he shifts left, as a reaction to the stuff with Alex Jones and Marilyn Manson then that might validate it, for good or bad.

Old 08-09-2022, 01:49 AM   #284
paranoid
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by CherryRay View Post
Maybe Billy decided to go on right wing media because he couldn't predict youth trends anymore, and it seemed to him a more mature version of 'being hip' to get noticed.
If he he shifts left, as a reaction to the stuff with Alex Jones and Marilyn Manson then that might validate it, for good or bad.
I honestly think he went right wing nuts for a brief moment because Anderson cooper made fun of him for being on a magazine cover with cats. His ego was bruised, and at a time when he was already having a hard time with his identity as a celebrity. Anderson was lame to do that but billy went as far as making t shirts about it, and him embracing Alex Jones seemed like a real reaction to that diss.

Old 08-09-2022, 05:50 AM   #285
TheSultanOfCyr
Ownz

I think that period between Teargarden and Ogilala saw Bill at his most confused, at least publicly. He clearly wasn’t doing well, especially after Day For Night was scrapped. I honestly think it’s possible that if James and Jimmy weren’t on board for the reunion, Monuments could’ve been the last Pumpkins album. He seemed like he’d fallen out of love with the whole thing. I think Ogilala helped him get back on track, after it was received well, as was the tour.

Old 08-09-2022, 08:46 AM   #286
eviltimeban
Apocalyptic Poster

If MTAE was the final SP album, he'd have probably continued on as a solo act, and eventually gotten some kind of backing group together which would inevitably have included Jeff. But he'd have been playing theatres rather than arenas, and his albums wouldn't be bothering the charts (not that the are now lol).

Could've been nice though; a more subdued / no face paint or crazy clothes wearing Billy, putting out eclectic solo albums every couple of years, just normal tunes rather than anything with a "concept"; touring and playing mixes of the acoustic stuff, maybe some reinterpretations of TFE tracks, and then encoring with a few of the more mellow Pumpkins tunes. I can see that being well received and he'd be playing to an older crowd, and knowingly so, rather than whatever demographic he's trying to appeal to now.

Old 08-09-2022, 11:24 AM   #287
themadcaplaughs
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
I honestly think he went right wing nuts for a brief moment because Anderson cooper made fun of him for being on a magazine cover with cats. His ego was bruised, and at a time when he was already having a hard time with his identity as a celebrity. Anderson was lame to do that but billy went as far as making t shirts about it, and him embracing Alex Jones seemed like a real reaction to that diss.
The Alex Jones appearance occurred more than two years before the Anderson Cooper incident.

Old 08-09-2022, 11:27 AM   #288
themadcaplaughs
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by eviltimeban View Post
If MTAE was the final SP album, he'd have probably continued on as a solo act, and eventually gotten some kind of backing group together which would inevitably have included Jeff. But he'd have been playing theatres rather than arenas, and his albums wouldn't be bothering the charts (not that the are now lol).

Could've been nice though; a more subdued / no face paint or crazy clothes wearing Billy, putting out eclectic solo albums every couple of years, just normal tunes rather than anything with a "concept"; touring and playing mixes of the acoustic stuff, maybe some reinterpretations of TFE tracks, and then encoring with a few of the more mellow Pumpkins tunes. I can see that being well received and he'd be playing to an older crowd, and knowingly so, rather than whatever demographic he's trying to appeal to now.
I wish I could still find this podcast, but I remember Jim DeRogatis appeared on some podcast the day Teargarden was announced. Like most people at the time, he basically denounced the state of Smashing Pumpkins at that period and Billy's weird actions in general. I do remember him mentioning, and I agreed wholeheartedly, that while The Future Embrace was not close to being a great album, it was possibly the last "honest" record Billy made, and really seemed to be opening the door for him to do the type of thing you're describing. I even thought those In Plainsong tours he did in 2015/2016 were a great way to utilize the Smashing Pumpkins name while doing something that felt more natural while honoring all the different stages of Billy's career. Unfortunately, he seems to get sidetracked every time he gets to a place where the music and shows seem natural again.

He has definitely said though that had the reunion with James not happened, Smashing Pumpkins probably would have ended after Monuments to an Elegy.

Old 08-09-2022, 02:46 PM   #289
paranoid
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by themadcaplaughs View Post
The Alex Jones appearance occurred more than two years before the Anderson Cooper incident.
you don't think he'd hang on to a grudge that long?

Old 08-09-2022, 03:01 PM   #290
topleybird
Janis Jopleybird

Location: Let me see you do the booty hop. And now make the booty stop. Now drop, and do the booty wop.
Question

Old 08-10-2022, 11:19 AM   #291
themadcaplaughs
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
you don't think he'd hang on to a grudge that long?
The Alex Jones appearance occurred, per a quick Google search, in June 2012. To my knowledge, he did not make any appearances after that, and has not mentioned Jones since then to my recollection. The Anderson Cooper thing occurred sometime in late 2014; right around the time Monuments to an Elegy was released. I remember those "Fuck You Anderson Cooper" shirts were sold at the small shows they did to celebrate the record release (with Brad and Mark playing).

If Corgan had appeared on Jones in, say, January 2015 or somehow really brought attention back to the fact that he supported Jones, I'd agree it was reactionary to the Cooper incident, but I do not see how Billy appearing on the Alex Jones show was a reaction to something that had not even occurred yet. Like I said, it's entirely possible he appeared on the show again and I just forgot, but I feel like he hasn't really mentioned Jones since.

As someone else said, I doubt Billy even truly likes or cares about Jones. He'll go wherever it gets him even the smallest amount of attention.

Old 08-10-2022, 11:41 AM   #292
topleybird
Janis Jopleybird

Lightbulb

Entirely beside the point you're making, but because I was curious, I see he's been on at least three times, with the latest one in 2016 (so far as I can tell), but I don't see anything about him mentioning Cooper on the show at any point after The Incident

Old 08-10-2022, 12:12 PM   #293
themadcaplaughs
Apocalyptic Poster

I stand corrected.

Old 08-10-2022, 12:50 PM   #294
topleybird
Janis Jopleybird

Red face

Oh, not trying to correct you (you did say it was possible you'd forgotten, after all), I've just only been generally aware of the hateful shit he said on the show, and wanted to see if anything about Cooper had come up after it was, y'know, possible for it to come up

Old 08-10-2022, 02:49 PM   #295
incubator
Apocalyptic Poster

He’s an intelligent, curious guy whose led a weird life. I’m not surprised that he’s fallen down some questionable rabbit holes. Probably had some gaping hole in his life that’s now filled with family.

Old 08-10-2022, 03:23 PM   #296
TheSultanOfCyr
Ownz

Quote:
Originally Posted by incubator View Post
He’s an intelligent, curious guy whose led a weird life.

Old 08-11-2022, 08:27 AM   #297
Cool As Ice Cream
Just Hook it to My Veins!

Quote:
Originally Posted by incubator View Post
He’s an intelligent, curious guy whose led a weird life. I’m not surprised that he’s fallen down some questionable rabbit holes. Probably had some gaping hole in his life that’s now filled with family.
your father has a gaping hole

Old 08-11-2022, 08:50 AM   #298
Baffler_Meal
Mothmonsterman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cool As Ice Cream View Post
your father has a gaping hole
In his heart because of the disappointment he harbors for his child?

Old 08-25-2022, 10:07 AM   #299
Spaldz
Apocalyptic Poster

I've put the show back up on youtube for everyone. Not sure i understand the reasoning why the band only kept it up for a few days. Not like they are paying google's energy bills.

Old 08-25-2022, 03:56 PM   #300
jimmy drevpile
Apocalyptic Poster

Nice one! The Jazz stuff with Frank and Jimmy sounds so good.