Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Smashing Pumpkins Boards > Smashing Pumpkins/Billy Corgan Discussion
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 05-08-2014, 07:11 PM   #121
Araneae
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by HereIsNoWhy4U View Post
You don't know that it's gonna be hair metal because of Lee's "80's metal past".
Actually, if you look back at some of Billy's entries, and the mods that they're using, it very much hints to an influence of that 80s metal sound. Obviously Billy will probably add his own twist to it, but don't fool yourself into thinking that you'll get a Jellybelly epic or anything remotely related to MCIS.

Old 05-08-2014, 07:12 PM   #122
Spira|_
Apocalyptic Poster

I know monte texted me.

Ohh yeah you will see the Jellybellys riffs. Dark.

Old 05-08-2014, 07:49 PM   #123
pavementtune

Location: I'm a quitter. I come from a long line of quitters. It's amazing I'm here at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amoergosum View Post
I don't think Mike is still in the band.

Old 05-08-2014, 08:04 PM   #124
Araneae
Apocalyptic Poster

I'll add this here too since it's relevant to the topic.

Quote:
MIRRORS WITHIN MIRRORS, WHILE TOM-TOMMING WITH HAMMERS

The notion to reach out to T Lee came from The Shredder, who in hearing me say ‘we really need to get someone like Tommy to play on this song’ said, “well, why don’t we reach out to him?” And let me tell you something: I’ve had the fortune of being in the room with some of the all-time greats, and when you’re that close to someone who is the best at what they do you gain insight into the way they are able to communicate to so many. Let’s call it a universal language (which music is, obviously), and in applying it with heart/soul they present intangibles that give dimension and depth to a composition which otherwise would not be as kaleidoscopic.
So on flying out a few weeks ago I presented T Lee with the idea, played him all the songs that I’d worked hard to finish, and discussed the way we’d be most comfortable finding common ground in the studio. Which explains the rush to prepare the arrangements for him to drum on, and also our keeping the work under wraps; so that nothing and nobody could influence the process.
I’m also happy to report that not only did we have a blast, but the 9 ‘MONUMENTS’ songs sound epic in a way that is indescribable. I guess I could toss off hyperbole after pronoun, but it would sell short what I like to call ‘Supersonic Pumpkins’; which is a descriptor in itself. Tommy hits the drums in a crushing manner, but as many fans know this is not without nuance or reaction; as he has a fantastic ear for music and plays with the songs in a means that only enhances excitement. The only other place I’ve heard this phenomena is with John Bonham of Led Zeppelin: where heavy drums can sound soft and expressive. Good company indeed!
As for the connection, I first met Tommy way back in 1991 when he came to one of our shows, and through the years we’ve run into each other many times at various places. So the coupling is not as odd as some might assume, as he, like I, has pushed into embracing new technologies, electronics, etc where it pertains to making new sounds. He is a wonderful, warm person to be around, and I wouldn’t have come to him with this proposition if I didn’t trust that this was something we’d both be proud of. So we expect to finish up the drums in a few weeks, seeing as we’re in a rush to get this stuff out and oh yeah, Tommy’s got this mega-Crue tour to do.
Let me also add on a personal and public level that I’m truly excited, for there’s an excitement in the music that is vital and necessary; especially when you consider what’s dying on the vine out there. I believe this is soul music we’re making, and I’m proud of who I’m stuck in the foxhole with. Attack, attack, attack…
W.P.C.
It's like he forgot that he was once in a band with one of the greatest drummers that ever existed.

Old 05-08-2014, 08:08 PM   #125
juliana
Apocalyptic Poster

Teehee

Old 05-08-2014, 08:11 PM   #126
Araneae
Apocalyptic Poster

To be perfectly honest, while I won't shed a tear over their dismissal (except Nicole, she was actually the one positive with SP in the past decade), Billy's being a shit by not acknowledging Mike and Nicole. He'll just probably end up badmouthing them in an interview somewhere down the line, I guess.

Old 05-08-2014, 08:20 PM   #127
juliana
Apocalyptic Poster

I feel bad for mike, he could have had a heart to heart with him. Told him he wants to go in a different direction. But maybe there is more to it than we know. I feel shredder shares the feelings.

In a shredder interview, jeff was asked about the contributions of nicole and mike, he ignored the question and talked about jimmy and billy.

Quote:
What have you learned from playing with Billy, Mike, & Nicole:

It’s endless. I mean-what I’ve been exposed to as a musician on a daily basis has just been immense and– playing with Jimmy (Chamberlin) would have to be part of that because he’s just really up there in terms of drummers. You have the classic rock guys, Bonham, Keith Moon and those guys– and I think he’s of the next generation; he’s one that is in that conversation, that level of good. Having to try, to just attempt to keep up with him every night? That was the first thing that forced me to improve– just having to keep up with him. Then just watching Billy and watching the way he approaches music and art, in the studio, the songwriting, the sound check-it’s just endless, things that I never ever even thought of. It’s been really great. And now with Mike and Nicole we’re in a different era and I’ve told this to other people but the four of us are so different. We’re like the four most different people you could find! But in some weird way, it totally works. So I think we learn from each other musically but we also learn from each other in terms of friendship and camaraderie, which is just as important as getting along musically. In a band, it’s great if you can get along musically but I mean, the majority of the battle is getting along in the car ride to and from the gig! (laughter).
He didn't learn shit from them.

Last edited by juliana : 05-08-2014 at 08:31 PM.

Old 05-08-2014, 08:29 PM   #128
Araneae
Apocalyptic Poster

I never thought I would but I feel bad for him, too. Billy built him up and now he's tearing him down.

As for Jeff, I really don't care what he thinks. All he does is agree with Billy on everything anyway. I've never cared for him or his playing and I don't think I'm ever going to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WPC
"...there’s an excitement in the music that is vital and necessary; especially when you consider what’s dying on the vine out there. I believe this is soul music we’re making..."
oh, and Billy can go fuck himself. I'm so tired of his shitty attitude towards current music. He hasn't bothered to actually listen to anything past the 80s to know what the fuck he's talking about.

Old 05-08-2014, 08:41 PM   #129
MyOneAndOnly
Shut the fuck up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Araneae View Post

It's like he forgot that he was once in a band with one of the greatest drummers that ever existed.
what's he supposed to do? Constantly talk about the guy that left the band 5 years ago?

Old 05-08-2014, 08:45 PM   #130
Araneae
Apocalyptic Poster

…or he could not lick Lee's ass and pretend that Tommy is the only other drummer that he has played with that compares to Bonham. You can build up other people without tearing down others. They're not mutually exclusive.

Fuck, Scotty, stop being so fucking dense.

Old 05-08-2014, 08:45 PM   #131
Spira|_
Apocalyptic Poster

O

Quote:

oh, and Billy can go fuck himself. I'm so tired of his shitty attitude towards current music. He hasn't bothered to actually listen to anything past the 80s to know what the fuck he's talking about.
He is stuck in the past.

Old 05-08-2014, 08:50 PM   #132
MyOneAndOnly
Shut the fuck up!

Quote:
…or he could not lick Lee's ass and pretend that Tommy is the only other drummer that he has played with that compares to Bonham. You can build up other people without tearing down others. They're not mutually exclusive.

Fuck, Scotty, stop being so fucking dense.
billy has said a lot of stupid shit, but I don't remember hearing him tear down Mike

Old 05-08-2014, 08:52 PM   #133
MyOneAndOnly
Shut the fuck up!

5 years of people complaining about mike now there's a pity party for him...

LOL

Old 05-08-2014, 08:52 PM   #134
Spira|_
Apocalyptic Poster

That daily updates saying everyday the songs are WOW, the album is WOW means he is doing shit again. He said absolutely the same before Oceania had been released: Oh this is amazing, everyone who listen to it says it is the best shit ever and blaa blaas blaaa blaaa ... Oceania.

Old 05-08-2014, 08:52 PM   #135
Araneae
Apocalyptic Poster

Shut the fuck up, Scotty

Old 05-08-2014, 10:12 PM   #136
paranoid
Minion of Satan

No pity party for mike coming from me. He bit off more than he could chew when he sent billy that shitty audition video in the first place. So fuck him.

Good riddance!

Old 05-08-2014, 10:13 PM   #137
Ram27
dumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reyngel View Post
This is the new Pumpkins:

http://youtu.be/6lCGzO-6Zgc
Ahahah 3:08 is the same solo Mikey did at 2:47 here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tPiUECATtlc

Old 05-08-2014, 10:22 PM   #138
Trotskilicious
Banned

Location: I believe in the transcendental qualities of friendship.

Quote:
I'll add this here too since it's relevant to the topic.

i mean it's just bald faced heresy to compare tommy lee with john fucking bonham in the first fucking place

Old 05-08-2014, 10:23 PM   #139
Ram27
dumb

Yeah really.

Like I said before, he seems like a more metal Dave Grohl. Loud as fuck and maybe plays some catchy riffs.

Old 05-08-2014, 10:25 PM   #140
Trotskilicious
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottytheoneand View Post
billy has said a lot of stupid shit, but I don't remember hearing him tear down Mike
I THINK WE ARE TALKING ABOUT HOW HE'S PASSIVELY DISSING JIM, YOU FUCKING BABOON

Old 05-08-2014, 10:31 PM   #141
Araneae
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trotskilicious View Post
i mean it's just bald faced heresy to compare tommy lee with john fucking bonham in the first fucking place
It's one of the most ludicrous statements that has ever come out of Billy's mouth, and that's saying something.

Somewhere out there a Vice writer is compiling a new list...

Old 05-08-2014, 10:35 PM   #142
Trotskilicious
Banned

i mean it's fucking ludicrous. it reminds me of when that guy who ran the timberwolves said darko was one of the greatest of all time and was like "manna from heaven"

by the way let the record show that i think mike byrne > tommy lee

Old 05-08-2014, 10:41 PM   #143
fuzzyroes
Banned

Fantastic news! Tommys wrote the drum parts for a ton of rocking, memorable songs. He's certainly going to provide an upgrade to the bushleague stuff we heard on Oceania.

I'm actually excited to hear a Pumpkins release again.

Good on Billy for coming to his senses.

Old 05-08-2014, 10:42 PM   #144
Trotskilicious
Banned

oh god this is terrible

Old 05-08-2014, 10:43 PM   #145
Araneae
Apocalyptic Poster

Figures.

Old 05-08-2014, 10:45 PM   #146
Trotskilicious
Banned

"ROCKING"

most of the work here is done by nikki six and that raunchy riff. if you really listen, tommy's back there pounding on those drums like a fucking baboon. i've heard better drumming from punk bands.

Old 05-08-2014, 10:47 PM   #147
Trotskilicious
Banned

pretty much exactly the same drumline played slower

Old 05-08-2014, 10:48 PM   #148
Elphenor
Braindead

I have a feeling this album is going to actually not suck.

Just a feeling.

Old 05-08-2014, 10:50 PM   #149
Trotskilicious
Banned

what is it with the weird conincidence between guys who hate the shit out of mike byrne and dudes who are all about tommy lee

you guys seriously don't know what good drumming even sounds like do you

seriously i've been listening to motley crue now for about 30 minutes and it's like...all of it is built on charismatic front man and awesome riffs...the drums are like THUNK THUNK THUNK THUNK the whole fucking time, in every song

Old 05-08-2014, 10:54 PM   #150
Elphenor
Braindead

I know absolutely nothing about drumming but I'm hoping a little of the 80's metal Billy is activated.
Corgan took the genre I hate more than anything and made it listenible.