Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Archives > General Chat Archive
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 08-29-2008, 09:35 PM   #271
Nimrod's Son
Master of Karate and Friendship

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleeper View Post
creationists are not just people who think god created life or whatever, theye people who believe in a literal reading of the creation story in the bible. you guys are using this word way too elastically.

in any case, you cannot both be a creationist in the above sense and accept evolution, the two are mutually exclusive. you can only accept evolution and then concoct some wishful, ad hoc, "creative" interpretation of the book of genesis that superficially coexists with evolution.
typically youll hear something along the lines of god "providing the initial spark and blueprint!" which is pretty in and of itself, but completely at odds with any reasonable interpretation of what the bible says. call that what you will, but its not really christianity anymore, its practically new age garbage
actually it's the "creationists" who have the "creative" interpretation of genesis, as they base the dates on "this guy begat that guy who begat that guy" etc. there are no dates or anything provided. people in the old testament sometimes lived 800 years and crazy shit like that.

it's the creationists who are drawing conclusions that aren't in print, but i know you hate religion so much you'd rather all of that stuff were literally in there

Old 08-29-2008, 09:36 PM   #272
sleeper
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by sppunk View Post
I do believe God created the earth and don't believe humans came from tadpoles. .
so then here it is, cut and dry: you dont accept evolution.

Old 08-29-2008, 09:38 PM   #273
sleeper
Minion of Satan

sppunk, do you think humans were created in more or less their present form?

Old 08-29-2008, 09:39 PM   #274
sppunk
Netphoria's George Will

I think physically we've always been fairly close (monkey type perhaps); I think the biggest change has been understanding and reasoning.

Old 08-29-2008, 09:41 PM   #275
Travis Meeks
Rambling on

sleeper, make a new thread for this playa

Old 08-29-2008, 09:42 PM   #276
bardy
Immortal

yeah someone tell me the rest of the hillary camp isnt like those wacko feminists

Old 08-29-2008, 09:43 PM   #277
Future Boy
The Man of Tomorrow

Quote:
I doubt many of those are actually HRC supporters, and are instead playing them on the Internet.
Half of those were mine!

Old 08-29-2008, 09:47 PM   #278
Nimrod's Son

so is what i'm hearing true? that msnbc put up this headline on the bottom of their screen when palin was annonced?
"How many houses does Palin bring to the Republican ticket?"

man i hope there's a screenshot of this so i can show it every time sleeper says fox news is biased.

Old 08-29-2008, 09:48 PM   #279
sleeper
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nimrod's Son View Post
actually it's the "creationists" who have the "creative" interpretation of genesis, as they base the dates on "this guy begat that guy who begat that guy" etc. there are no dates or anything provided. people in the old testament sometimes lived 800 years and crazy shit like that.

it's the creationists who are drawing conclusions that aren't in print, but i know you hate religion so much you'd rather all of that stuff were literally in there
there are no explicit dates, yes. if you take the bible at its word on ages and do the math, the world was created in 6004 BC.

so why do you say the 800 years stuff (noah lived 950, a record) is crazy shit? i mean, in one sense it obviously is (its at odds with everything we know about human life and there is no evidence for this). but this strikes me as a problem with the bible, not necessarily a problem with interpretation.

i think the fundamentalist view of the bible is more or less the correct one, they just commit the error of actually believing it. i think the first five books of old testament are written to be taken at face value, they mean what they say. the global flood and noahs ark, for instance, are not allegory, theyre record.

Old 08-29-2008, 09:49 PM   #280
bardy
Immortal

sleeper shut up or make a new thread

Old 08-29-2008, 09:51 PM   #281
sleeper
Minion of Satan

Quote:
I think physically we've always been fairly close (monkey type perhaps); I think the biggest change has been understanding and reasoning.
dont ever say you accept evolution again, then, because clearly you dont. you cant pick and choose like this, to accept evolution in any meaningful sense means you accept the basic principles and ideas here (that all life evolved from a common ancestor through natual selection). what you believe is not evolution, its some bastardized form of evolution that youre hiding behind because i think youre ashamed to say aloud that you dont accept evolution.

Old 08-29-2008, 09:52 PM   #282
jm9843
Ownz

Quote:
so is what i'm hearing true? that msnbc put up this headline on the bottom of their screen when palin was annonced?

man i hope there's a screenshot of this so i can show it every time sleeper says fox news is biased.
In msnbc's defense though, it's difficult to find things that she brings to the ticket. Maybe they were trying to be nice?

Old 08-29-2008, 09:56 PM   #283
sleeper
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by bardy View Post
sleeper shut up or make a new thread
youll have to pry the keyboard from my cold, dead hands

Old 08-29-2008, 10:13 PM   #284
JokeyLoki
has great self of steam.

Quote:

Wow, nice.

Old 08-29-2008, 10:15 PM   #285
Nimrod's Son

sleeper, jesus loves you even though you deny him

Old 08-29-2008, 10:16 PM   #286
Nimrod's Son

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by jm9843 View Post
In msnbc's defense though, it's difficult to find things that she brings to the ticket. Maybe they were trying to be nice?
there's my new fox news defense. they were being nice.

Old 08-29-2008, 10:22 PM   #287
Debaser
ghost

pointing out the bias on another network is not a defense of fox news. its a deflection.

Old 08-29-2008, 10:33 PM   #288
sleeper
Minion of Satan

Quote:
sleeper, jesus loves you even though you deny him
ah, the moral blackmail argument, my favourite.

Old 08-29-2008, 11:09 PM   #289
Tchocky
Minion of Satan

Why is Dan Quayle wearing a dress and calling himself "Sarah?"

GOP pandering at its finest. And the sad thing is, I think McCain might have just won the election with this tactic.

Old 08-29-2008, 11:18 PM   #290
Andrew_Pakula
Fine! I'll go make my own
web site. With Blackjack,
and Hookers... Actually,
forget the web site.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jm9843 View Post
She brings her vagina to the ticket, if she had a penis she wouldn't have been chosen.

Old 08-29-2008, 11:18 PM   #291
JokeyLoki
has great self of steam.

Some evidence that Palin doesn't know how to spell potato, please.

Old 08-29-2008, 11:23 PM   #292
TuralyonW3
Immortal

Quote:
Originally Posted by bardy View Post
yeah someone tell me the rest of the hillary camp isnt like those wacko feminists

NObama - No Way - KNOW McCAIN!

Q. Obama agrees with Sen. Clinton on most issues. Why not vote for him?
A. If agreeing with Sen. Clinton is all that is required then there would be 18 million of us running for president.

Q. What about Roe v. Wade?
A. The DNC backhands women and then dangles Roe v. Wade over their head... not working!

Q. Don't TRUE Dems vote Dem ?
A. TRUE Americans don't belong to racist churches for 20 years. I will not reward this!

Old 08-30-2008, 12:29 AM   #293
Tchocky
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by JokeyLoki View Post
She can't pronounce "nuclear", that's for sure.

Old 08-30-2008, 12:31 AM   #294
Tchocky
Minion of Satan

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by TuralyonW3 View Post

A. If agreeing with Sen. Clinton is all that is required then there would be 18 million of us running for president.

A. The DNC backhands women and then dangles Roe v. Wade over their head... not working!

A. TRUE Americans don't belong to racist churches for 20 years. I will not reward this!
Retarded.

Old 08-30-2008, 12:40 AM   #295
Tchocky
Minion of Satan

Voting for McCain simply to vote against Obama is stupid. I'd rather have the candidate that agreed with my preferred candidate on the issues I care about as opposed to voting for a guy that agrees with virtually nothing I stand for and his only qualification for office (as far as the voters I'm talking about) is the fact that he's not the guy that just beat their candidate in the primaries.

I'll bet those disgruntled pro-choice Hillary supporters that vote for McCain because he's not Obama in November will be kicking themselves after McCain gets the chance to appoint more conservative justices to the Supreme Court that will continue to chip away at their right to choose, if he's elected that is.

TRUE Democrats don't want to cast a vote for four more years of Bush's policies simply because their beloved Hillary lost. Get over it you morons. At least vote for a third-party candidate if you don't want to vote for Obama...you'll look less stupid that way.

Old 08-30-2008, 12:48 AM   #296
Debaser
ghost

Quote:
Originally Posted by JokeyLoki View Post
If she supports the teaching of creationism/intelligent design in schools, that's quite enough for me to consider her an intellectual lightweight.

Old 08-30-2008, 12:53 AM   #297
JokeyLoki
has great self of steam.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debaser View Post
If she supports the teaching of creationism/intelligent design in schools, that's quite enough for me to consider her an intellectual lightweight.
So there are prominent scientists that you consider intellectual lightweights?

Edit: Creationists in the broad sense that sppunk described, my apologies

Old 08-30-2008, 01:04 AM   #298
killtrocity
Saturday Night Goth

three things.

1. Palin is the perfect counter balance to Obama from a purely strategic standpoint. Appealing to novelty, a pretty face, etc... Romney would've been the perfect choice for the previous two elections, however -

2. It's now clearer than ever this election is nothing more than a circus. Both tickets are effectively indistinguishable. Both candidates will bring the economy to hell, Obama doing so through internal spending, McCain tossing money away overseas. Both support nation-building and expansion of government.

3. Whether there is a God and he created us in his image over many thousands of years through evolution, or there is no God and evolution occurred as a natural outcome of cause and effect, anyone who fails to acknowledge evolution as a viable possibility suffers from a rationality deficiency.

Old 08-30-2008, 01:08 AM   #299
beef curtains
Immortal

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by Future Boy View Post
I agree. But Biden isnt the nominee.

Dont look at me, Im voting Nader.
I sure as fuck hope you don't live in a battleground state

Old 08-30-2008, 01:24 AM   #300
beef curtains
Immortal

Quote:
Originally Posted by TuralyonW3 View Post

I am very very afraid for Roe vs Wade and I hope those awful women would shrivel up and die realizing what they've done if this all comes to pass