Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > General Boards > General Chat Message Board
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 02-25-2015, 07:40 PM   #121
slunken
Virgo

i don't want to seem like i'm deflecting attention away from myself by picking on him btw - it was just a silly joke

Old 02-25-2015, 07:44 PM   #122
LaBelle
Socialphobic

I am a film major, my class was rotten with film hipsters.

Old 02-25-2015, 07:45 PM   #123
slunken
Virgo

the only film class i took in college was african american film studies. we watched amiri baraka footage and american history x. for the last one i was like "really"?

Old 02-25-2015, 07:57 PM   #124
The exploding boy
Minion of Satan

Location: "I'm a quivering collection of the worst and least helpful emotions: fear, anxiety, terror, paranoia, indigestion, dishpan hands..."

IT IS SUCHA BLD THOUGHT CHALLE#NGING FILM MAN BECAUSE RACISM

Old 02-25-2015, 07:57 PM   #125
The exploding boy
Minion of Satan

Location: "I'm a quivering collection of the worst and least helpful emotions: fear, anxiety, terror, paranoia, indigestion, dishpan hands..."

i was gonna correct my typoes but then figured it was better this way

Old 02-25-2015, 07:58 PM   #126
The exploding boy
Minion of Satan

Oh wait you said it was african american film studies. Which is still weird though because tis not a african american director..... its a stupid sensationalist film about racism. and as far as i remember the cast is mainly white

Last edited by The exploding boy : 02-25-2015 at 08:04 PM.

Old 02-25-2015, 08:10 PM   #127
Elphenor
Braindead

I would love those people, I am one of those people

Old 02-25-2015, 08:11 PM   #128
Elphenor
Braindead

Quote:
Originally Posted by slunken View Post
oh okay - kind of like elphenor then
Oh wait, didn't refresh the page to see it was already covered

Old 02-25-2015, 08:14 PM   #129
The exploding boy
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaBelle View Post
I am a film major, my class was rotten with film hipsters.
I was once on a hipster music forum, this one guy would find any opportunity to talk about movies and i mean any and he would launch into these super long college type essays about them when nobody had even asked and every film he mentioned he would put the year of release in between parentheses. Mainly because he really wanted to let us know he rarely watched any post 1970 films. Oh wow, you're so special and unique, we are such plebes, pre 80s oh my god what is that? Black and white? eww.... What is this you say? nouvelle vague? film noir? wow that sounds so sophisticated, i never heard of these terms and have never watched any such film in my life! you are so special, please educate me more you know SO much....

That's hipsters, oh i have non mainstream tastes and i am so unique! No there's million of people like you. they just don't all make a thing of it and think it makes them more interesting or think it defines their identity

Old 02-25-2015, 08:15 PM   #130
slunken
Virgo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elphenor View Post
Oh wait, didn't refresh the page to see it was already covered

lol wow i even tried to stand up for you

Old 02-25-2015, 08:16 PM   #131
Elphenor
Braindead

Chances are that guy knows a fuckton more about the art of cinema than you and is really passionate about it.

Old 02-25-2015, 08:17 PM   #132
Elphenor
Braindead

Why is that such a bad thing

Old 02-25-2015, 08:36 PM   #133
The exploding boy
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Chances are that guy knows a fuckton more about the art of cinema than you and is really passionate about it.
First of all, i don't know thatt he did and that's part of the problem. Most people on there weren't exactly ignorant about films so the implication that he was all so much more knowledgeable and unique for his tastes than anyone else was insulting.

To be honest for a second there but for the grace of whatever it could have been me. I could have been that guy. I saw myself heading down that road. I do watch shitloads fo films yearly, the only channels i subscribe to on cable are all movie channels pretty much (which actually kinda suck cause they overall show a library of maybe 400 films voer and over aside from some like TCM i guess but they repeat their library eventually too) and i really dug deep. I have like 5000 pirated films burned on dvds and would have lots more if i hadn't stopped myself many years ago.. I was that fucking guy. But i never interjected into every fucking conversation (that was often not AT ALL about movies) to let everyone know how much i KNOW about this or that film and directors and genres and what fucking not. That's people in need of attention. He wanted the validation of eveyrone else for his interests and his tastes. His only point was to wow us with his knowledge and insight. Its was purely narcissistic, not interested in exchange really except maybe to "one up" people. It was the very worst in hipster mindset.

I mean how can you not see people like this are annoying as fuck?

Old 02-25-2015, 08:42 PM   #134
Elphenor
Braindead

I know a lot of film buffs, maybe not to that degree though.

I've never found it particularly annoying.

It's their art you know? To them this is modern Shakespeare this is something that has the potential change lives and they don't want to see it squandered

Old 02-25-2015, 08:46 PM   #135
Elphenor
Braindead

How many dudes do you know who ALWAYS have an opinion about whatever Sports

Old 02-25-2015, 08:46 PM   #136
Mooney
Socialphobic

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by The exploding boy View Post
Oh wait you said it was african american film studies. Which is still weird though because tis not a african american director..... its a stupid sensationalist film about racism. and as far as i remember the cast is mainly white
i agree. they really should have cast more black people as white supremacists for this film.

Old 02-25-2015, 08:55 PM   #137
The exploding boy
Minion of Satan

Of course not i'm just saying it is kinda weird to show it in african american film studies. The film is about racism, ok. But how is it in any way much of an african american film? Is it important for african americans even? Doubt it... it's more for white people. Oh look guys, we shoulnt be this way cause it's stupid and ignorant.

Mainly, it's not a good film. Just don't show it anywhere.

Old 02-25-2015, 08:56 PM   #138
LaBelle
Socialphobic

Quote:
I was once on a hipster music forum, this one guy would find any opportunity to talk about movies and i mean any and he would launch into these super long college type essays about them when nobody had even asked and every film he mentioned he would put the year of release in between parentheses. Mainly because he really wanted to let us know he rarely watched any post 1970 films. Oh wow, you're so special and unique, we are such plebes, pre 80s oh my god what is that? Black and white? eww.... What is this you say? nouvelle vague? film noir? wow that sounds so sophisticated, i never heard of these terms and have never watched any such film in my life! you are so special, please educate me more you know SO much....

That's hipsters, oh i have non mainstream tastes and i am so unique! No there's million of people like you. they just don't all make a thing of it and think it makes them more interesting or think it defines their identity
Hipsters can't be defined because then they'd fit in a category, and that would be too mainstream.

Old 02-25-2015, 09:05 PM   #139
LaBelle
Socialphobic

Quote:
I know a lot of film buffs, maybe not to that degree though.

I've never found it particularly annoying.

It's their art you know? To them this is modern Shakespeare this is something that has the potential change lives and they don't want to see it squandered
It's because hipsters actively seek out the most annoying and dickish way of presenting their superiority through knowledge.

Old 02-25-2015, 09:21 PM   #140
The exploding boy
Minion of Satan

Trust me elph if you butt into conversations irl to try to tell everyone about post punk, these people hate you.

Old 02-25-2015, 09:35 PM   #141
Trotskilicious
Banned

Location: I believe in the transcendental qualities of friendship.

Quote:
probably not. he seems to have an arbitrary cut off point abd skips like forty years of films so his knowledge is limited at best. sounds like a fuzzyroses kinda guy really

thats a boring pretentious person with little knowledge. it would be like some guy trying to talk to me abt basketball even tho they havent watched nba since jordan

Old 02-25-2015, 09:35 PM   #142
Trotskilicious
Banned

Quote:
Hipsters can't be defined because then they'd fit in a category, and that would be too mainstream.
this is nonsense

Old 02-25-2015, 09:42 PM   #143
Trotskilicious
Banned

if that were true then the word doesnt mean anything

i think it should mean pretentious grown up suburban youth living in the city and humping style and cultural trends just as they break the surface tension of the underground. they are invariably shallow ppl with little in the way of cultural appreciation and place far too much importance on what stuff you like and what that says abt ur person

sound like someone in this thread ?

Old 02-25-2015, 09:48 PM   #144
LaBelle
Socialphobic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trotskilicious View Post
this is nonsense
I know, it was a joke

Old 02-25-2015, 09:48 PM   #145
pavementtune

Location: I'm a quitter. I come from a long line of quitters. It's amazing I'm here at all.

Quote:
you should try watching the babadook

I kinda want that pop-up book now.

good recommendation, enjoyed it. entirely watchable, the two of them freaking out had some tranfixing moments. and the kid boy is just impressive.

Old 02-25-2015, 09:50 PM   #146
run2pee
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Of course not i'm just saying it is kinda weird to show it in african american film studies. The film is about racism, ok. But how is it in any way much of an african american film? Is it important for african americans even? Doubt it... it's more for white people. Oh look guys, we shoulnt be this way cause it's stupid and ignorant.

Mainly, it's not a good film. Just don't show it anywhere.
Yeah that movie sucked right?

There was an american history x poster in our college house. Not sure whose it was or why we had it up. Maybe it was to prove to visitors we didn't like skinheads or were less racist than the usual white hipsters or something.

Old 02-25-2015, 09:51 PM   #147
Trotskilicious
Banned

it was a big deal at the time for some reason

Old 02-25-2015, 09:55 PM   #148
pavementtune

Location: I'm a quitter. I come from a long line of quitters. It's amazing I'm here at all.

I never understood why American History X gets so much disapproval.

we watched it in highschool, around that time some idiots started wearing the usual youngster nazi outfits to school.
I think they wanted to get it into our head that this type of fuckers exist in other countries, too. (by showing a movie, I know...)

Old 02-25-2015, 09:56 PM   #149
run2pee
Minion of Satan

Wasn't the last I watched but birdman, cause it got a oscar or somethin

7/10

The single takes were amazing, especially the shots taking you around the windy halls/stairways of the theater. Also dug the satire of superhero hollywood. Also dug the livng shit outta Keaton.

Doesn't score higher though cause it's hard for me to empathize with the quest to be critically anointed/recognized as a Serious Artist. Which is what it seemed to me to be about.

Old 02-25-2015, 10:18 PM   #150
Elphenor
Braindead

Quote:
Trust me elph if you butt into conversations irl to try to tell everyone about post punk, these people hate you.
I actually actively avoid talking about it irl