Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > General Boards > General Chat Message Board
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 05-24-2021, 05:51 PM   #811
toase
Apocalyptic Poster

So I have a new PC
I decided to play dragon age again, now with mods and maximum quality
It's great! The giants are so much more scary with high textures

and the witcher 3 was on sale so I grabbed it and started playing, but I think I shouldn't have started it after Dragon Age, because, although the game is great, the characters uh.... I know they are good enough and the writters are trying really hard, but in the end, that meme "video games appeal to male fantasy" just pops in my mind all the time... but it's a great game overall,

I like the quest inside a quest inside a quest structure they go for. It's not what I was expecting when people said "The quests are al related to the main story, you don't have fetch quests", well... not really, but It's still nice...

Old 05-29-2021, 07:52 PM   #812
toase
Apocalyptic Poster

this game is so good

Old 06-14-2021, 02:42 AM   #813
run2pee
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by toase View Post
So I have a new PC

and the witcher 3 was on sale so I grabbed it and started playing, but I think I shouldn't have started it after Dragon Age, because, although the game is great, the characters uh.... I know they are good enough and the writters are trying really hard, but in the end, that meme "video games appeal to male fantasy" just pops in my mind all the time... but it's a great game overall,

I like the quest inside a quest inside a quest structure they go for. It's not what I was expecting when people said "The quests are al related to the main story, you don't have fetch quests", well... not really, but It's still nice...
Your take on W3 is similar to mine, i felt like i had to fight against the developers steering me toward more boneheaded sorta like numbskull macho male fantasies when i tried to roleplay geralt. a lot of it had to do with his voice, it's very christian bale "batman"

But then i got into the lore of it and started to see geralt as a terrible misunderstood mutant and i realized i could play it in a differnt way then got caught up in 1) the sunsets, 2) the freedom of travel/sequence in velen, 3) the fun and weird and customizable combat/stat progression, 4) the music

And so it's one of my all time faves now probably, spent around 100 hrs and still havent cleared velen!

Old 06-14-2021, 02:57 AM   #814
run2pee
Minion of Satan

In fact i would put W3 up there with Link to the Past, fallout 3, Earthbound, Skyrim, FFVI, and others as a game i will always, always return to, if just to bask in the atmosphere. They created a world

Old 06-14-2021, 02:10 PM   #815
killtrocity
Saturday Night Goth

Quote:

this game is so good
NINTENDO DID IT

Old 06-14-2021, 07:23 PM   #816
Rairun
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
So I have a new PC

Yeah, I got it on sale last year, played the intro/tutorial, and all I could think was, "This is is the straightest shit I've ever played" lol. I haven't written it off completely, but never really felt like playing again. Graphics are pretty though.

Old 06-26-2021, 11:37 PM   #817
reprise85
BOTTLEG ILLEGAL

Location: I'm faced with so many changes that I just might change my face

Disco Elysium. what a weird fucking game. love it so far

Old 02-23-2022, 10:00 PM   #818
run2pee
Minion of Satan

Any u dicks gonna play Elden ring

Old 02-23-2022, 10:01 PM   #819
run2pee
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by reprise85 View Post
Itching to add this to my list of several dozens of games i have purchased in the futile hope of having a time in life i can play them

Would u recommend it for this sad purpose

Old 02-24-2022, 11:03 AM   #820
reprise85
BOTTLEG ILLEGAL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Run To Me View Post
Itching to add this to my list of several dozens of games i have purchased in the futile hope of having a time in life i can play them

Would u recommend it for this sad purpose
sure, it's interesting, but only if you're down to read a lot. the whole game is basically reading

Old 02-24-2022, 01:12 PM   #821
killtrocity
Saturday Night Goth

so it's like Morrowind?

Old 02-28-2022, 10:26 PM   #822
run2pee
Minion of Satan

Anybody play divinity original sin 2

This is probably the best traditional d&d style rpg i ever played

Old 03-01-2022, 11:15 AM   #823
reprise85
BOTTLEG ILLEGAL

yeah I played it, definitely an awesome game. made me go play the first one, which had a better story but not as good combat. i think. it's hard to remember.

Old 03-01-2022, 11:16 PM   #824
run2pee
Minion of Satan

It was on my switch since i have a bad habit of buying well reviews games when they go on sale regardless whether i have any time to ply them

The dark lord saw fit to crash another car into me and break my spine last week so suddenly now i have time galore b/c i have to lie flat until it heals so i just got off the fort joy island there

MAN FUCK those magisters turning sourcerers into silent monks, sewing their mouth shut and stuff. Just love the narrator and fuck the writing is omf

It’s real good, ive been sorta jaded toward getting into new fantasy worlds since i read so many these novels as a kid and feel like oh yay an orc or an elf oh yay bla bla bla

But this is so detailed it’s like every fucken warf rat has something worthwhile to say. This is gonna shoot to the near top of my GOAT of all tiem list here probably, provided it doesn’t Peter out or lose steam or blow its whole total load or whoever before the end

Old 03-03-2022, 11:09 AM   #825
reprise85
BOTTLEG ILLEGAL

holy shit, sorry you got hurt. it stays good the whole time I think. I often get bored by games about 3/4 through and have to trudge to the ending, but not for this one

Old 03-03-2022, 01:34 PM   #826
ilikeplanets
Braindead

I don't know shit about video games, but I hope you recover quickly R2M.

Old 03-03-2022, 02:25 PM   #827
run2pee
Minion of Satan

Thanks, they broke my three year olds leg too

Guy lost control on ice coming down a hill on a 40 mph road, crossed center line and i couldn’t avoid b/c narrow shoulder with a sheer cliff

Pretty hard hit i thought we were goners

Old 03-03-2022, 02:53 PM   #828
run2pee
Minion of Satan

Thank our dark lord and saviour that i cut out the THC a couple months ago. The guilt of knowing my reaction time wasnt as good would be pretty bad even if there was no way to avoid it

So yay for SMART meeetings

Old 03-03-2022, 03:31 PM   #829
topleybird
Janis Jopleybird

Location: Let me see you do the booty hop. And now make the booty stop. Now drop, and do the booty wop.
Red face

Jesus fuck, I was ready to congratulate you on having a badass injury, like, who besides Batman recovers from a broken spine, rock on.

But your three-year-old, goddamn, I'm so sorry. Feel like I'd be terrified to get back in a car if that had happened to me at that age; how are they doing emotionally?

Now I'm fuckin' pissed at this guy. Sounds like he wasn't drunk at least, but people need to learn how to drive in the winter. You get an inch of snow on the ground and suddenly it's fucking bumper cars all over the place.

Old 03-03-2022, 04:33 PM   #830
run2pee
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by topleybird View Post
Jesus fuck, I was ready to congratulate you on having a badass injury, like, who besides Batman recovers from a broken spine, rock on.

But your three-year-old, goddamn, I'm so sorry. Feel like I'd be terrified to get back in a car if that had happened to me at that age; how are they doing emotionally?

Now I'm fuckin' pissed at this guy. Sounds like he wasn't drunk at least, but people need to learn how to drive in the winter. You get an inch of snow on the ground and suddenly it's fucking bumper cars all over the place.
He's been in the car a couple times going to the doctors and hasn't had a problem, we've been trying to talk a lot about it so he can kind of process it or whatever, i think that's helping, also he is a very happy little jolly bastard so he's resilient about life and shit

My 4 y/o is having a rougher time, even though he wasn't hurt, he's been really pleading for attention in the nuclear way that small boys sometimes do and it's sad b/c u have to say, dammit don't murder your brother his leg is broken, but also come here you lil fucker u must be having a hard time since we almost died, and evertyhing

Old 03-04-2022, 05:12 AM   #831
ilikeplanets
Braindead

Trying to explain death/terrible situations is something I'm dreading. To relate this back to video games, my 4 year old plays them and it has introduced words like "kill" and "dead" into her vocabulary, so that's kind of broken the ice for me, but obviously she has no idea what that means for a human versus a computerized zombie that she smashes. I hope your kiddos push through this experience easily. How long do they expect before you both recover? Do you guys need surgery? I'm sure you had some already for your back...? Ouch.

Old 03-04-2022, 04:47 PM   #832
run2pee
Minion of Satan

No surgery yet they initially dx fracture of L3 spinous process but that was only bone scan i have to go to mri tomorrow nite b/c i have pain/numbness left leg

Fucken hurts man, they gave me norcos and some muscle relaxers are coming and then a medrol dose pak which is steroids. Thank our dark lord i never liked opiates or i would be much worse off

But no thc; staying strong, it took a little bit too much from my life n tiems there with the everyday all day there for last couple years, kinda turned into autopilot for any discomfort or for what felt like the intolerable conditions of being 1) awake 2) alone or 3) with somebody

Old 03-04-2022, 04:52 PM   #833
run2pee
Minion of Satan

Good news is animal crossing is pretty soothing i lost my island on accident when i transferred my saves to the new switch (they released an oled with an bigger screen which of course i had to trade in and get) but anyway started from scratch and doing an almost total nature based island called Breezeweed, having fun fishing and planting flowrs today

Afterward gonna continue chipping away at trying to get into dark souls for like the fifth or 6th tiem god this game is hard but alluring but infuriating but addictive but fuck you asshole piece of shit game

Old 03-05-2022, 01:05 AM   #834
ilikeplanets
Braindead

If I played video games, I would play things like Animal Crossing or Harvest Moon. I loved Harvest Moon Back to Nature in the ancient days of the original Playstation.

Old 03-07-2022, 04:11 PM   #835
run2pee
Minion of Satan

Hey guys Darkwood is awesome

Did u ever stop to remember that The Woods are scary af?

So clearly it's about time someone made a game regarding of it

The premise is you wake up in an (apparently?) apocalyptic scenario where (possibly?) the forest is all mutated and malevolent and trying to (hmm?) swallow all flesh and blood? Dunno guys, it's friekin cryptic in the storyways

But anyway the loop is you roam by day midst the suffocating darkness under the eaves, avoiding snarling/growling packs of wild dogs (and other nasty things), for what scant scraps of supplies you can scavenge in order to barricade your little bombed out shack so you can have a chance in hell to hope to survive the night

Sound design is amazing, up there with my fave horror like silent hill or alien isolation. The feeling of rushing to nail boards to the windows, make sure there's gas in the generator to keep the lamps alight (the swirling, sentient darkness itself can prove lethal), set a couple bear traps, and then squeeze yourself behind a bath tub or whatever little hole you can find/make, as the sun sets and the shadows grow long, wow it's some special little horror feeling they nailed, here

Anyway, later, gonna try to survive another night and figure out what the hell or who i am hopefully, someday

Old 03-21-2022, 08:15 PM   #836
BumbleBeeMouth
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by reprise85 View Post
This was my game of 2021 for sure. I really enjoyed the aesthetic, I played my guy Tom Selleck from Magnum PI

Old 04-06-2022, 05:02 AM   #837
Shallowed
Braindead

playing Dark Souls for the first time

holy shitballs, it really is as difficult as i've heard

it was extremely satisfying to finally ACHIEVE VICTORY over the first boss, after dying and respawning at least a dozen times. i don't begrudge the game for giving me endless opportunities to bloody-mindedly practice and perfect my approach.

Old 04-06-2022, 08:19 AM   #838
MeAndMyLlama

Were you fighting the Asylum Demon with the broken sword by chance? You're not supposed to do that.

Old 04-06-2022, 10:12 AM   #839
Baffler_Meal
Mothmonsterman

Asylum Demon is hard even on the second attempt when you're new to the series. The "Souls Dance" for combat is so different compared to other games even though on the surface it just seems like a standard ARPG.

I've never beat a Souls game on the PC without a trainer. I have never been able to "git good" and when I do it is only up to a certain area and then I'm overwhelmed and throw in the towel.

A bought Bloodborne a few years ago. At that point I struggled to even make it to Cleric Beast and he just destroyed me. I swore it off for a few years then picked it back up late last year. I am making TINY bits of progress over the course of months, but I'm helped immensely by the Future Press official guides. I've beaten the first chalice dungeon and every boss up to Vicar Amelia.

It might take me the rest of the year at this rate, but I hope this is the first Souls game I complete without explicitly cheating.

Old 04-09-2022, 01:07 PM   #840
Shadaloo
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Run To Me View Post
Hey guys Darkwood is awesome

Did u ever stop to remember that The Woods are scary af?

So clearly it's about time someone made a game regarding of it

The premise is you wake up in an (apparently?) apocalyptic scenario where (possibly?) the forest is all mutated and malevolent and trying to (hmm?) swallow all flesh and blood? Dunno guys, it's friekin cryptic in the storyways

But anyway the loop is you roam by day midst the suffocating darkness under the eaves, avoiding snarling/growling packs of wild dogs (and other nasty things), for what scant scraps of supplies you can scavenge in order to barricade your little bombed out shack so you can have a chance in hell to hope to survive the night

Sound design is amazing, up there with my fave horror like silent hill or alien isolation. The feeling of rushing to nail boards to the windows, make sure there's gas in the generator to keep the lamps alight (the swirling, sentient darkness itself can prove lethal), set a couple bear traps, and then squeeze yourself behind a bath tub or whatever little hole you can find/make, as the sun sets and the shadows grow long, wow it's some special little horror feeling they nailed, here

Anyway, later, gonna try to survive another night and figure out what the hell or who i am hopefully, someday
This sounds right up my alley. Thanks, I'm gonna check it out.

Hope you heal up soon, and your little one too. That's fucked up.