Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Smashing Pumpkins Boards > Smashing Pumpkins/Billy Corgan Discussion
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 05-17-2023, 02:54 PM   #1
AveryLoren
Apocalyptic Poster

Default Billy Corgan on Apple Music Podcast

He actually makes some solid observations at 20:26. Pretty much nails what eats up the youth culture today.

Old 05-17-2023, 03:05 PM   #2
Ram27
dumb

i like the beard as well

Old 05-17-2023, 03:07 PM   #3
Ram27
dumb

Quote:
which makes bearded journalists from brooklyn have to go to their therapist, you know what i mean
ugh

Old 05-17-2023, 03:15 PM   #4
AveryLoren
Apocalyptic Poster

He genuinely looks sad when he mentions Kurt's death and that he was his rival. It makes me think just how crazy things must have been for Billy in the journey he went through during the late 80's into the mid 90's.

He comes out of the woods with Gish and blows away all indie sales records, plucks a woman from virtually obscurity that goes on to leave him for an unknown guy that supplants his position as king of the alternative world. What are the odds of that? I actually feel some sympathy for Corgan.

Old 05-17-2023, 03:40 PM   #5
TheAlter
Apocalyptic Poster

You're romanticizing it a bit there, methinks. That scene had probably 'summer of love' levels of sex and drugs.

Old 05-17-2023, 04:01 PM   #6
Ram27
dumb

jelly

Old 05-17-2023, 04:01 PM   #7
Ram27
dumb

all that sounds like an integral component of the romanticization

Old 05-17-2023, 05:30 PM   #8
LaBelle
Socialphobic

that's the first Billy interview I listened to in years (didn't listen to the podcast outside of a few clipped songs)

But damn that's a lot of self aggrandizing right there.

Old 05-17-2023, 05:38 PM   #9
LaBelle
Socialphobic

Quote:
Originally Posted by AveryLoren View Post
He genuinely looks sad when he mentions Kurt's death and that he was his rival. It makes me think just how crazy things must have been for Billy in the journey he went through during the late 80's into the mid 90's.

He comes out of the woods with Gish and blows away all indie sales records, plucks a woman from virtually obscurity that goes on to leave him for an unknown guy that supplants his position as king of the alternative world. What are the odds of that? I actually feel some sympathy for Corgan.
LOL
he said he cried because he wouldn't be able to "beat" the best anymore... literally what the fuck.

Old 05-17-2023, 06:33 PM   #10
AveryLoren
Apocalyptic Poster

If Kurt hadn't have perused music Billy would have been the face of alternative music in the early 90's. Also, if he didn't lose his hair...

Old 05-17-2023, 08:12 PM   #11
GreenDogGlynis
Demi-God

Nah, can't forget Eddie, Chris, and Layne were also out there. Billy doesn't have the type of charisma that translates to being the symbol of a generation/movement/whatever. He's a guy who people can't ignore because he's great at music, but he's not those other guys who people wanted to be like just because of the way they carried themselves. This seems to be where tons of the insecurity stems from. There's rock stars and people who are great at rock music, one can be both, but Billy is definitely the latter.

Last edited by GreenDogGlynis : 05-17-2023 at 10:47 PM.

Old 05-18-2023, 12:36 AM   #12
Joey Goldberg
Minion of Satan

I was drawn to Billy through the Rocket video because he had a certain apparent lightness that was absolutely foreign to a lot of the others you just mentioned, this odd pairing of levity and absolutely devastating childhood trauma, depression, anxiety that I didn't even know was possible to hear or see presented in the way that they did it.

seeing them in the SD era was a lot more disarmingly relatable than the Smashing Pumpkins I thought I knew beore, but even then, when billson became the bald lord, that was his iconography. the heralded bald king in his zero shirt/silver pants and/or gauthier

bill may have been just a bit too weird or multi-faceted to be that easy face of a generation or whatever the fuck, especially with his whole "playing the heel" mentality, but there was and is something there that you don't get in most other "rockers." even if the music he puts out now is fucking garbage compared to his fellow surviving peers

Old 05-18-2023, 12:46 AM   #13
GreenDogGlynis
Demi-God

I agree, part of what I've always liked about SP and SD era Billy was that he wasn't a typical rock star, he looked a like kid in your high school. That was part of what was great about the band. There is an authenticity there and it's refreshing that he's not trying to look like a typical rock star, as he's obviously not. I was just saying that I don't think Billy would have enjoyed top status in popularity had Kurt never been around. Plus, Billy may have had thought he was in competition with Kurt, but I doubt Kurt ever thought he was in some rivalry with Billy.

Old 05-18-2023, 12:53 AM   #14
Joey Goldberg
Minion of Satan

Old 05-18-2023, 06:56 AM   #15
eviltimeban
Apocalyptic Poster

Why are there two threads on this?

Old 05-18-2023, 09:11 AM   #16
TheAlter
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenDogGlynis View Post
I agree, part of what I've always liked about SP and SD era Billy was that he wasn't a typical rock star, he looked a like kid in your high school.
A 26 year old high school kid, sure that's what he was after, the pedophile-in-disguise attire

jesus fucking christ these posters...

Old 05-18-2023, 09:51 AM   #17
topleybird
Janis Jopleybird

Location: Let me see you do the booty hop. And now make the booty stop. Now drop, and do the booty wop.
Question

I'm a little too irritated to listen to the whole thing, but where is the song Billy's commenting on at the time AveryLoren recommended? I skimmed a bit up to that point and didn't hear anything. Is it like a ten-second clip or something?

Old 05-18-2023, 11:45 AM   #18
brothahi4L
Apocalyptic Poster

Typical billy..... He wished for a song at a radio station and suddenly people popped up online and wanted to hear that song again. Bill isthegreatest,most intelligent people of all time. Butin reality i believe 50 percent coming out of his mouth....

Clickbait made up stories.....fbi is arresting the guy who had theleaks...lol...
Reminds me.of big lebowskis scene where he askes the officer about his car

Old 05-18-2023, 12:14 PM   #19
Joey Goldberg
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by eviltimeban View Post
Why are there two threads on this?
so there could be 2 "why are there two threads on this?" responses in each one, respectively

i say that as the provider of such a comment in the other thread

think this calls for a high five

Old 05-18-2023, 01:32 PM   #20
eviltimeban
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey Goldberg View Post
so there could be 2 "why are there two threads on this?" responses in each one, respectively

i say that as the provider of such a comment in the other thread

think this calls for a high five

Old 05-19-2023, 02:32 AM   #21
Morlock
Ownz

Someone please explain to Billy what some of these big words mean that he is using.