Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Archives > General Chat Archive
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List

Old 05-21-2017, 01:57 AM   #1
teh b0lly!!1
Braindead

Red face Dinosaurs may have continued to exist if asteroid would hit Earth 30 seconds later

this is the kind of stuff that makes my psyche go Blue Screen of Death and hard reset and now i want to curl up into a ball under my bed and wish i could understand something, anything, about what it all means.

we're one possible avenue of unfolding reality in an infinite sea of breaking points, it's so incomprehensible gah this is mind boggling i need to think about something else
Quote:
http://www.nzherald.co.nz/world/news...ectid=11856490

New BBC documentary reveals the moment an asteroid nine-miles long made dinosaurs extinct

The asteroid impact that doomed the dinosaurs to extinction had such a devastating effect on Earth by pure chance, scientists say.

If it had struck 30 seconds later - or 30 seconds sooner - it would have caused far less damage and the dinosaurs would probably have survived.

As a result, man might never have become the planet's dominant species, a BBC documentary reveals tonight, according to Daily Mail.

The asteroid struck 66million years ago 24 miles off the Yucatan Peninsula in Mexico, causing a crater 111 miles wide and 20 miles deep. Scientists who drilled into the crater found the rock was rich in sulphur compounds.

The impact of the asteroid vaporised this rock, filling the air with a cloud of dust similar to that created by a catastrophic volcanic eruption.

This blocked out the sun and cooled the planet dramatically - below freezing for a decade - wiping out most life.

Those dinosaurs not killed by fumes, molten rock falling from the sky or tsunamis would have starved as their food ran out.

Yet if the asteroid, which is estimated to have been nine miles across and travelling at 40,000mph, had arrived a few seconds sooner or later, it could have landed in deep water in the Atlantic or Pacific.

Continued below.

Related Content

Watch: Truth about the dinosaurs demiseVideo
Watch: Truth about the dinosaurs demise
Carlisle Street Convenience Store owner Aman Deep says an employee was left shaken and scared after an armed robbery yesterday. Photo/George Novak
Armed robbery at Tauranga convenience store
A certain amount of personal sacrifice is needed for some jobs, it seems.
Sideswipe: May 8: Sacrifice needed for this job
That would have meant that mostly sea water would have been vaporised, causing far less harm. Instead, the effect of the impact of a comparatively tiny asteroid was magnified catastrophically.

Sean Gulick, professor of geophysics at the University of Texas at Austin, who organised the drilling with Professor Joanna Morgan, of Imperial College London, said: "That asteroid struck Earth in a very unfortunate place."

Professor Morgan said research suggests 100billion tons of sulphates were thrown into the atmosphere, adding: "That would be enough to cool the planet for a decade and wipe out most life."

The asteroid's impact was so huge that the blast led to the extermination of three quarters of all life on Earth, including most of the dinosaurs.

But this chance event allowed smaller mammals - and ultimately humans - the chance to thrive.

Had the asteroid crashed seconds earlier or later it would have hit the ocean, potentially causing much less vaporisation which may have allowed the dinosaurs to survive, scientists now believe.

Professor Joanna Morgan of Imperial College London has co-led a major new study with Sean Gullick, professor of geophysics at the University of Texas, Austin into the the impact of this earth-changing asteroid.

The results of this major study will be revealed in a new BBC documentary called The Night the Dinosaurs Died which will be screened in the UK tomorrow and is presented by Professors Alice Roberts and Ben Garod.

In the study, researchers have drilled into the peak ring of the Chicxulub crater in the Gulf of Mexico where the asteroid hit.

Their research has unearthed insights into how impacts can help shape planets and possibly even provide habitat for new origins of life.

It also established a new understanding of how violent asteroid impacts cause a planet's surface to behave like a fluid - previous scientific analysis suggested that such impacts deform the surface by melting most of the rock around the impact.

Prof Gullick said that the asteroid struck the earth at a very unfortunate place - a concentration of sulphur-rich rock which vaporised, catapulting a light-reflecting cloud into the air.

Prof Gullick explained that sulphate particles reflect light, which effectively shaded the earth from the sun, dramatically cooling the planet, limiting plant growth and ultimately cutting off food supplies.

This caused the decline and death of the dinosaurs as a species which had dominated earth for 150m years.

According to Professor Joanna Morgan, the samples suggest that more than 100bn tons of sulphates were thrown into the atmosphere with extra soot from the fires that followed.

"That would be enough to cool the planet for a decade and wipe out most life," Prof Morgan said as reported by The Times.

But this dark day for the dinosaurs provided an opportunity for mammals and ultimately humans to evolve.

"Just half a million years after the extinction of the dinosaurs, landscapes had filled with mammals of all shapes and sizes. Chances are, if it wasn't for that asteroid we wouldn't be here today," scientist and BBC presenter Prof Alice Roberts told The Times.

Rock analysis has allowed scientists to calculate the size of the impact which indicates that the asteroid was approximately nine miles wide and hit the planet at 40,000mph.

This would make the asteroid equivalent to a grain of sand hitting a bowling ball.

Last edited by teh b0lly!!1 : 05-21-2017 at 05:48 AM. Reason: just realized this is an oppressive amount of text without using a quote thing

Old 05-21-2017, 02:06 AM   #2
wHATcOLOR
THIS IS AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!

Location: || MY NAME IS KIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIID ROCK!!

maybe a dumb question, but where exactly did the asteroid hit? and is it a commonly known fact? do people go visit the impact site of the great asteroid that caused the dinosaurs to become extinct?

Old 05-21-2017, 03:45 AM   #3
Shallowed
Braindead

An asteroid could hit us right now and no-one would know or care once we're all dead.

Old 05-21-2017, 03:45 AM   #4
Shallowed
Braindead

Quote:
Originally Posted by wHATcOLOR View Post
maybe a dumb question, but where exactly did the asteroid hit? and is it a commonly known fact? do people go visit the impact site of the great asteroid that caused the dinosaurs to become extinct?
Here

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chicxulub_crater

Old 05-21-2017, 03:48 AM   #5
wHATcOLOR
THIS IS AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!

Location: || MY NAME IS KIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIID ROCK!!
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shallowed View Post
thanks Shallowed

Old 05-21-2017, 03:48 AM   #6
Shallowed
Braindead

Smile

No problem

Old 05-21-2017, 04:07 AM   #7
teh b0lly!!1
Braindead

30 seconds

fucking hell

Old 05-21-2017, 04:44 AM   #8
reprise85
BOTTLEG ILLEGAL

Location: I'm faced with so many changes that I just might change my face
Red face

that's crazy as fuck

Old 05-21-2017, 05:17 AM   #9
LaBelle
Socialphobic

So bad timing is the real reason the dinos went extinct.

Poor dinos

Old 05-21-2017, 08:16 AM   #10
duovamp
Brazilian Blouselord

Thanks Baphomet!

Old 05-21-2017, 08:27 AM   #11
MyOneAndOnly
Shut the fuck up!

Some dinosaurs did survive. All birds are decended from dinosaurs.

Old 05-21-2017, 08:40 AM   #12
ohnoitsbonnie
Banned

The Permian extinction is the good one

Old 05-21-2017, 09:33 AM   #13
duovamp
Brazilian Blouselord

YEAH. Asshole!!

Old 05-21-2017, 10:33 AM   #14
MyOneAndOnly
Shut the fuck up!

i hope you all enjoy the Holocene extinction!

Old 05-21-2017, 10:38 AM   #15
FlamingGlobes
Socialphobic

Location: I’ve been trying to move to the Nordic countries for 5 years but the cost is astronomical to become an expatriate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poots View Post
you're a fucking idiot. take your trash science and shove it up your ass
https://media.giphy.com/media/CQAw5r...ized-large.gif

Old 05-21-2017, 10:39 AM   #16
FlamingGlobes
Socialphobic

Location: I’ve been trying to move to the Nordic countries for 5 years but the cost is astronomical to become an expatriate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shallowed View Post
An asteroid could hit us right now and no-one would know or care once we're all dead.
Honestly, thoughts like this are re-assuring to me. Like, for all of the pain and struggle of human existence, in the end, it won't matter. So just relax and try to enjoy the ride.

Old 05-21-2017, 10:53 AM   #17
teh b0lly!!1
Braindead

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottytheoneand View Post
i hope you all enjoy the Holocene extinction!
somewhere baby part of me apart from me

Old 05-21-2017, 10:57 AM   #18
ohnoitsbonnie
Banned

It took a long time for everything to die and it may not have just been the asteroid. Climate had been changing before that. Which is why after I learned that climate changes throughout the history of the Earth have led to extinctions/disruptions of the existing flora and fauna and knew that this is currently also a mass extinction

Old 05-21-2017, 10:57 AM   #19
ohnoitsbonnie
Banned

It's no big deal really. Couldn't be worse than the Permian.

Old 05-21-2017, 10:59 AM   #20
ohnoitsbonnie
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamingGlobes View Post
Honestly, thoughts like this are re-assuring to me. Like, for all of the pain and struggle of human existence, in the end, it won't matter. So just relax and try to enjoy the ride.
It's extremely unlikely to happen for many reasons but mostly because all the s p a c e.
Also so much as happen over a long time that we know a fraction so many things could have happened or not happened for the world to end up as it has. Timing was not changed from where it was so it doesn't matter

Old 05-21-2017, 02:18 PM   #21
crabshack
Apocalyptic Poster

didn't read the entire thread but i thought it was common knowledge by now that an asteroid did not cause dinosaur extinction

Old 05-21-2017, 03:26 PM   #22
Shallowed
Braindead

Quote:
http://www.bandswallpapers.com/data/...in_the_end.jpg

Old 05-21-2017, 03:44 PM   #23
reprise85
BOTTLEG ILLEGAL

Location: I'm faced with so many changes that I just might change my face

yeah i relate to that also

Old 05-22-2017, 04:14 AM   #25
teh b0lly!!1
Braindead

Red face

Quote:
this, and a dying universe, are my go to thoughts when i'm feeling pressured

can buzz come along and post the dog face with 'i want to disappear into the void'

wait, where is buzz? it's been a while since he posted.

don't tell me that he...?

Old 05-22-2017, 08:40 AM   #26
FoolofaTook
Just Hook it to My Veins!

Dinosaurs died during the flood. No room for them on the ark.

You would of taught that Noah might of saved a baby triceratops or two. But no he was too busy getting plastered and uncovering his precious.

Old 05-22-2017, 08:43 AM   #28
FoolofaTook

Btw there's a BORIS song called dino-soar. It think its about heavy shit learning to fly.

Old 05-22-2017, 09:23 AM   #29
LaBelle
Socialphobic

Can't we have a nice thread about dinosaurs without lame billco pictures?

Can't we debate whether they look better feathered or not like regular nerds?

Old 05-22-2017, 09:57 AM   #30
redbreegull

did you guys see this?

https://static.independent.co.uk/s3f...aur-fossil.jpg

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/content/d...ceod-large.jpg