Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Smashing Pumpkins Boards > Smashing Pumpkins/Billy Corgan Discussion
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 02-22-2022, 03:45 PM   #151
eviltimeban
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyKeyZ View Post
You do realize Radiohead sold more albums in the US than the UK?
Apparently, and don't quote me on this, there's more people in the US than in the UK.

Old 02-22-2022, 04:05 PM   #152
Shallowed
Braindead

so

Old 02-22-2022, 04:06 PM   #153
Joey Goldberg
Minion of Satan

look i'm gonna need these numbers crunched if i'm expected to negotiate with the Big Man if you know what i mean

Old 02-22-2022, 04:06 PM   #154
Shallowed
Braindead

u think ur all that

Old 02-22-2022, 04:06 PM   #155
Joey Goldberg
Minion of Satan

these are very raw numbers, can't do much with them in the current state

Big Man is going to be furious

Old 02-22-2022, 04:46 PM   #156
MyKeyZ
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by eviltimeban View Post
Apparently, and don't quote me on this, there's more people in the US than in the UK.
Did you miss the part of my post where it was a response to the previous person's comment stating "Outside UK, nobody gave a flying fuck about Radioheads"? Last I checked, more people buying your albums in a country equals popularity. How can you say a band is more popular in the UK when there were sales in another country surpassing the UK? Also, their UK sales dropped to 300k after OK Computer, meanwhile US sales remained at million+ through to In Rainbows. The numbers show they were more popular in the US than the UK, even more so from Kid A on.

Last edited by MyKeyZ : 02-22-2022 at 04:57 PM.

Old 02-22-2022, 04:54 PM   #157
topleybird
Janis Jopleybird

Location: Let me see you do the booty hop. And now make the booty stop. Now drop, and do the booty wop.
Lightbulb

You have 100% missed the point there, but regardless, look, I think we need to be objective about this, and I think what we need is a ratio of residents vs purchasers for each country. This is important and needs to be settled in a rational manner. Let us know when you have the numbers. You know, like, 1 in 27 US residents bought a Radiohead album, etc. Okay, thanks.

Old 02-22-2022, 05:27 PM   #158
MyKeyZ
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by topleybird View Post
You have 100% missed the point there, but regardless, look, I think we need to be objective about this, and I think what we need is a ratio of residents vs purchasers for each country. This is important and needs to be settled in a rational manner. Let us know when you have the numbers. You know, like, 1 in 27 US residents bought a Radiohead album, etc. Okay, thanks.
That would be like saying a country with a population of just 100,000 that had 5,000 people who bought the latest Radiohead album somehow means Radiohead is more popular there than anywhere else in the world.

And, again, in the UK, sales dropped to just 300,000+ copies from Kid A to In Rainbows, then dropped again to 100,000 for The King Of Limbs and A Moon Shaped Pool compared to the US continuing to sell over a 1 million copies from Kid A to In Rainbows before dropping to dropping to 370,000 for The King Of Limbs and rising to 500,000 for A Moon Shaped Pool.

OK Computer
US - 2 million+
UK - 1.5 million+

Kid A
US - 1.4 million+
UK - 300k+

2,000,000 to 1,400,000 is a 30% drop in sales
1,500,000 to 300,000 is an 80% drop in sales

That's a 600,000 drop in US sales between those albums compared to a 1,200,000 drop in the UK. That means double the amount of Brits stopped listening to Radiohead compared to Americans. So a country with less people had double of the amount of people not buy the band's next album. In the end, Radiohead was able to retain more American fans than British ones throughout their career.

Last edited by MyKeyZ : 02-22-2022 at 05:41 PM.

Old 02-22-2022, 05:38 PM   #159
topleybird
Janis Jopleybird

Location: Let me see you do the booty hop. And now make the booty stop. Now drop, and do the booty wop.
Thumbs up

Quote:
That would be like saying a country with a population of just 100,000 that had 5,000 people who bought the latest Radiohead album somehow means Radiohead is more popular there than anywhere else in the world.
Yes.

Old 02-22-2022, 05:57 PM   #160
Shallowed
Braindead

radiohead probably give even less of a flying fuck about themselves and their record sales

Old 02-22-2022, 06:03 PM   #161
MyKeyZ
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Yes.
Sorry, no, just because 50 people in Nauru love Radiohead doesn't make them the #1 country of Radiohead. Radiohead ain't racing to perform in Nauru because 50 of its 10,876 people bought their CD. Total population doesn't matter. Actual sales do. And, again, this is about the claim that no one outside the UK cared about Radiohead, which was clearly the opposite as they were popular in the US and Europe. And, also, longevity. Radiohead kept their 1 million+ numbers going in the US for the most part until their last two albums while the UK dropped quickly to 300k after OKC, then to 100k, and sales haven't gone up in the UK. Unlike the UK, A Moon Shaped Pool saw a rise in US sales to 500k, selling 5x more copies than UK sales. Goes back to longevity.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...uk.theobserver

https://ultimateclassicrock.com/radiohead-pink-floyd/

Last edited by MyKeyZ : 02-22-2022 at 06:30 PM.

Old 02-22-2022, 06:04 PM   #162
MyKeyZ
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shallowed View Post
radiohead probably give even less of a flying fuck about themselves and their record sales
Very true. Another interesting number I've learned, The Downward Spiral only sold 100,000 copies in the UK compared to 3.7 million in the US. Hell, even Canada saw 300,000 copies sold. Another album the UK slept on.

Old 02-22-2022, 06:33 PM   #163
topleybird
Janis Jopleybird

Talking

Quote:
Sorry, no, just because 10 people in Nauru love Radiohead doesn't make them the #1 country of Radiohead. Radiohead ain't racing to perform in Nauru because 50 of its 10,876 people bought their CD. Total population doesn't matter. Actual sales do.
If every single person in the UK bought the last RH album (about 67.4 million buyers according to some probably out-of-date data I just looked up), and only 1 in 4 people in the States bought it (about 83 million buyers (see earlier note)), that to me makes them more popular in the UK. It sounds like that same info tells you they're more popular in the States. Data is pretty fucked up when you think about it. All this info. And it's just. It's a fucked up world, brother, I think we can shake hands on that.

Just went back up the thread and realized this all started from something croPUMPKINS said. Now I feel like I've been played for a fool. Nuke Croatia.

Old 02-22-2022, 06:51 PM   #164
MyKeyZ
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
If every single person in the UK bought the last RH album (about 67.4 million buyers according to some probably out-of-date data I just looked up), and only 1 in 4 people in the States bought it (about 83 million buyers (see earlier note)), that to me makes them more popular in the UK. It sounds like that same info tells you they're more popular in the States. Data is pretty fucked up when you think about it. All this info. And it's just. It's a fucked up world, brother, I think we can shake hands on that.

Just went back up the thread and realized this all started from something croPUMPKINS said. Now I feel like I've been played for a fool. Nuke Croatia.
I tried to point out my response with numbers was to him in regards of his statement that no one outside the UK was listening to Radiohead rather than popularity. But Radiohead is household name in the US like it is in the UK.

I'm still shocked by how drastic of a drop in UK sales from OK Computer to Kid A was compared to the US, especially since the UK is all about electronic music. It was a very odd album to be so popular in the US. Massive Attack's Mezzanine sold 600,000 copies in the UK, double the amount of Kid A. And even though Kid A and Amnesiac had less sales than OK Computer in the US, it still was when Radiohead presence peaked here. More people may have picked up a copy of OK Computer in the US, but it was the Kid A/Amnesiac tour when they were selling out shows instantly.

Last edited by MyKeyZ : 02-22-2022 at 06:58 PM.

Old 02-22-2022, 11:00 PM   #165
T&T
Socialphobic

are these numbers facts?
can we please use MonteIT* populations of these countries? USA 1.5 BILLION, UK ????

Popularity has ZERO to do with per capita of albums sold if the people buying the albums are losers. Popularity has to do with how many COOL people bought the album.
now, since SP fans were outcast losers, on par with Radiohead fans... can we say that neither of these bands were cool and popular?

coo coo coo coo coo COO

Old 02-23-2022, 07:34 AM   #166
trev
charm

Quote:
If every single person in the UK bought the last RH album (about 67.4 million buyers according to some probably out-of-date data I just looked up), and only 1 in 4 people in the States bought it (about 83 million buyers (see earlier note)), that to me makes them more popular in the UK. It sounds like that same info tells you they're more popular in the States.
that's because they don't understand what the word popular means.

this has been like playing chess with a pigeon...

Old 02-23-2022, 07:50 AM   #167
trev
charm

Quote:
Very true. Another interesting number I've learned, The Downward Spiral only sold 100,000 copies in the UK compared to 3.7 million in the US. Hell, even Canada saw 300,000 copies sold. Another album the UK slept on.
pretty much everything you wrote here is wrong

Old 02-23-2022, 08:27 AM   #168
eviltimeban
Apocalyptic Poster

I'm so glad I'm a member of Radiophoria.

Or is it Nethead?

Old 02-23-2022, 06:35 PM   #169
MyKeyZ
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by trev View Post
As I stated, I was basing off Wikipedia, which numbers are gonna be more rounded as they're based on certification. We can easily go deeper.

In the UK, you have to sell 300,000 copies to be certified platinum, 100,000 for gold.

The Downward Spiral was certified gold by BPI in 2013...

I checked BPI and there have been no new certifications for The Downward Spiral. It may have sold more than 100,000 copies since its cerification in 2013, but sales of The Downward Spiral have not surpassed 300,000 sales since it would have been certified platinum if it did. On July 22nd, 2013, it finally sold 100,000 copies after its release in 1994. It has been several years since the gold certification, so The Downward Spiral sales could be anywhere between 100,000 and 299,999 copies since 2013. But, then again, it took nearly 20 years from its release just to sell 100,000 copies in the UK.

And as for certification in Canada...

Music Canada recognizes the following Album Award tiers:
Gold: 40,000 Units
Platinum: 80,000 Units
Multi-Platinum: 160,000 Units (increments of 80,000 thereafter)
Diamond: 800,000 Units

They would have had to sell 320,000 copies to be certified quadruple platinum, making sales in Canada somewhere between 240,000 to 319,999 copies.

And here is the RIAA for US sales...
In the US, 1,000,000,000 sales to go platinum, 10,000,000 for diamond.

Wiki got that 3.7 million number from a Hollywood Reporter article in 2011 where the "journalist" stated that number, but we know The Downward Spiral sold at least 4 million copies by the RIAA certification, but hasn't sold 5 million to go 5x platinum.

Last edited by MyKeyZ : 02-23-2022 at 07:13 PM.

Old 02-23-2022, 07:17 PM   #170
Ram27
dumb

this is the most boring fucking thread on here

Old 02-23-2022, 07:50 PM   #171
topleybird
Janis Jopleybird

Unhappy

Quote:
As I stated, I was basing off Wikipedia, which numbers are gonna be more rounded as they're based on certification. We can easily go deeper.

In the UK, you have to sell 300,000 copies to be certified platinum, 100,000 for gold.

The Downward Spiral was certified gold by BPI in 2013...

I checked BPI and there have been no new certifications for The Downward Spiral. It may have sold more than 100,000 copies since its cerification in 2013, but sales of The Downward Spiral have not surpassed 300,000 sales since it would have been certified platinum if it did. On July 22nd, 2013, it finally sold 100,000 copies after its release in 1994. It has been several years since the gold certification, so The Downward Spiral sales could be anywhere between 100,000 and 299,999 copies since 2013. But, then again, it took nearly 20 years from its release just to sell 100,000 copies in the UK.

And as for certification in Canada...

Music Canada recognizes the following Album Award tiers:
Gold: 40,000 Units
Platinum: 80,000 Units
Multi-Platinum: 160,000 Units (increments of 80,000 thereafter)
Diamond: 800,000 Units

They would have had to sell 320,000 copies to be certified quadruple platinum, making sales in Canada somewhere between 240,000 to 319,999 copies.

And here is the RIAA for US sales...
In the US, 1,000,000,000 sales to go platinum, 10,000,000 for diamond.

Wiki got that 3.7 million number from a Hollywood Reporter article in 2011 where the "journalist" stated that number, but we know The Downward Spiral sold at least 4 million copies by the RIAA certification, but hasn't sold 5 million to go 5x platinum.
ok

Old 02-23-2022, 08:47 PM   #172
MyKeyZ
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ram27 View Post
this is the most boring fucking thread on here

Old 02-23-2022, 09:06 PM   #173
trev
charm

Quote:
Another interesting number I've learned
it wasn't interesting

Quote:
The Downward Spiral only sold
not 'sold', units shipped

Quote:
100,000 copies in the UK
that's only the minimum, it could be anywhere up to 299,999

Quote:
3.7 million in the US
again, units shipped not 'sold'

Quote:
Canada saw 300,000 copies sold
same issues as above

Quote:
Another album the UK slept on.
it got to number 9 in the uk charts, but only 13 in the canadian charts.

great move, pigeon.

Old 02-23-2022, 11:38 PM   #174
MyKeyZ
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by trev View Post
it wasn't interesting

1) not 'sold', units shipped

2) that's only the minimum, it could be anywhere up to 299,999

3) again, units shipped not 'sold'

4) same issues as above

5) it got to number 9 in the uk charts, but only 13 in the canadian charts.

6) great move, pigeon.
1) If you look beyond Wiki, you'd see that only UK's BPI was originally based on units shipped to retailers, but then they switched over to basing it on actual sales in July of 2013. The Downward Spiral gold certification happened on July 22nd, 2013. As for Music Canada and RIAA, they have done their certifications based on verified sales, which you can find their rules on their official sites.

2) I stated this very thing in my post that it could possibly be up to 299,999. Again, it only reached 100,000 on July 22nd, 2013, the date it was certified. If you want to argue that it was still just based on units shipped, then that is even worse. Copies shipped don't equal sold. Also, taking nearly 20 years to just hit 100,000 isn't good either.

3) Again, gold certification happened once BPI moved over to sales rather than units shipped.

4) Same issues as above

5) If you click Wiki's citation, the screenshot from RPM magazine shows the Canadian charts for the week of April 4th and has The Downward Spiral at #15, not #13. Not sure where Wiki got #13 from. But the album had been charting for 3 weeks. Debuted at #28 in its first week, then moved up to #15 the second week, and stayed at #15 on its third week. Even wilder, it stayed in Canada's top 100 album's for 48 weeks, compared to a mere 6 weeks in UK's top 100.

It didn't drop out of the Canada's top 100 until March 1995, just shy of the album's 1 year anniversary. It slowly dropped over the next several months into the #80s/90s before suddenly rising back up to #34 on October 3rd, 1994. It then began dropping again over the next few months, ending up at #99 on February 27th, 1995, before finally falling out of the top 100 the next week. A mere 6 weeks in the UK's top 100 is nothing compared to a continuous 48 weeks. It debuted at #9 in the UK for the week of March 19, 1994, dropped to #35 in its second week, and quickly left the top 100 just a few weeks later.

6) OK there, Goofy.

Last edited by MyKeyZ : 02-24-2022 at 04:02 AM.

Old 02-24-2022, 10:36 AM   #175
topleybird
Janis Jopleybird

Unhappy

Old 02-24-2022, 12:36 PM   #176
MyKeyZ
Apocalyptic Poster

Old 02-24-2022, 01:33 PM   #177
themadcaplaughs
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:

FINALLY! Someone explained it in a way that I could understand!

Old 02-24-2022, 03:15 PM   #178
MyKeyZ
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by themadcaplaughs View Post
FINALLY! Someone explained it in a way that I could understand!

Last edited by MyKeyZ : 02-24-2022 at 03:33 PM.

Old 02-24-2022, 04:31 PM   #179
Joey Goldberg
Minion of Satan

thread summary

Old 04-29-2022, 01:22 AM   #180
AveryLoren
Apocalyptic Poster

February 1998 magazine blurb.