Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Archives > General Chat Archive
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 10-03-2011, 01:35 PM   #1
rottenugly
Banned

Default Does anyone else have depression?

This isn't going to be a gigantic cry for help, but I have depression, which is why I've neglected to post in my recent thread, I've had depression for years, I also think I have bipolar.

I had ADHD as a young child, I grew out of this by the time I was ten, can Ritalin trigger suicidal thoughts and/or depression?

Old 10-03-2011, 01:37 PM   #2
rottenugly
Banned

I mean if you take Ritalin for a long time, I remember having suicidal thoughts as early as eight years old and that was when I was using Ritalin for my ADHD.

Old 10-03-2011, 01:44 PM   #3
Banana
Banned

14 year old depressed kid on netphoria.

I think I have an idea as to how this saga is going to inevitably end.

Old 10-03-2011, 03:04 PM   #4
dean_r_koontz
Apocalyptic Poster

fuck you banana, i hope agenda suicide and charmbag are proud for supporting this humongous piece of shit. there are a bunch of posters here who have been suffering from mental illness but the good news for you rottenugly is that manic depression can be treated quite decently, the same can be said for ADHD (which i guess you're aware of already).

Old 10-03-2011, 03:07 PM   #5
dean_r_koontz
Apocalyptic Poster

It is important that you start taking medication/medications to treat your illness however, i would strongly advice against just going to therapy.

Old 10-03-2011, 03:10 PM   #6
dean_r_koontz
Apocalyptic Poster

also major depressive disorder can be treated well by numerous medications, there are some boarders here who are on medication for this and it's given them the chance to live good lives.

Old 10-03-2011, 03:18 PM   #7
Banana
Banned

dean r koontz also suffers from the mental illness known as being a geenz.

Old 10-03-2011, 03:19 PM   #8
dean_r_koontz
Apocalyptic Poster

do not go off the ritalin just because you think it might cause suicidal ideation. i looked at the list of side effects and there is stuff like anxiety and dysphoria there, but there is a risk that if you stop taking the medication, things get even worse for you and you'll lose impulse control. a better road is to continue with the ritalin and try some nice new antidepressant with few side effects and see how that goes.

Old 10-03-2011, 03:33 PM   #9
yo soy el mejor
Just Hook it to My Veins!

get a kitten 2

Old 10-03-2011, 03:35 PM   #10
dean_r_koontz
Apocalyptic Poster

and if people come in and start talking about "u got to face reality bro and start thinking differently" or "i know of this alternative oitment that works great for depression", don't listen. some ppl on this very board have refused to take medications for years and years and it only made them lamer than they could have been.

Old 10-03-2011, 03:40 PM   #11
duovamp
Brazilian Blouselord

No.

Old 10-03-2011, 03:40 PM   #12
Banana
Banned

Honestly though I wouldn't listen to any suggestions from dean. That guy seems seriously mentally screwed up. You're young, it's still possible for you to avoid the mess of a person he's become.

Old 10-03-2011, 04:13 PM   #13
agenda suicide
cunt cookies

Quote:
Originally Posted by dean_r_koontz View Post
fuck you banana, i hope agenda suicide and charmbag are proud for supporting this humongous piece of shit.
You're expending way too much energy over this shit. Give it a rest.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dean_r_koontz View Post
It is important that you start taking medication/medications to treat your illness however, i would strongly advice against just going to therapy.
Yes, clearly the answer is to throw medication at the problem. I'm so sick of people with this mind set. Therapy is a good tool to figure out what the root of the problem is and if medication is a good option to look into. Not everyone needs medication to solve their problems, but if you are going down that route, you sure as hell don't need to start popping pills with out having done in depth research as to what is best for yourself.

Old 10-03-2011, 04:16 PM   #14
dean_r_koontz
Apocalyptic Poster

i'm just trying to help the guy. if you want him to continue to live in pain, that's your trip man.

Old 10-03-2011, 04:21 PM   #15
agenda suicide
cunt cookies

I never said anything about being against helping him. Strongly advising against therapy is complete bull shit. BUT HEY, lets take the word of random people on a Smashing Pumpkins board because we're all experts right?
If rottenugly feels like this and he wants to do something about it, then he can go talk to a doctor that specializes in his issue. Plain and simple.

Old 10-03-2011, 04:23 PM   #16
dean_r_koontz
Apocalyptic Poster

you dumb bitch i wrote that i was strongly against JUST going to therapy.

Old 10-03-2011, 04:24 PM   #17
dean_r_koontz
Apocalyptic Poster

at least given what i've heard in this case i would recommend medication. there are obviously other situations were therapy is enough and no medication is needed.

Old 10-03-2011, 04:25 PM   #18
agenda suicide
cunt cookies

Excuse the piss out of me for misreading your sentence. However, my argument still stands. Let a doctor tell him if medication is good for him.

Old 10-03-2011, 04:35 PM   #19
reprise85
BOTTLEG ILLEGAL

Location: I'm faced with so many changes that I just might change my face

Ritalin can DEFINITELY cause suicidal ideation and depression. It's speed. Many if not most SSRIs, SNRIs, DRIs, trycilic anti-depressants etc can cause SI and depression especially in children, teens and young adults (up to 24). It's definitely good that you don't take it anymore if you don't need it.

If your depression is anywhere more than mild and you have any thoughts about suicide ever for more than a few minutes, I would recommend seeing a psychiatrist. I do not think medication is the way to go for teenagers unless depression is severe. But only you know how much you suffer.

I am personally on a few different psychiatric medications for depression and PTSD (etc), and my life has tremendously improved since I've gotten on a combination that has worked for me (which took 3-ish years). But I would definitely go for therapy first, perhaps see a psychologist and see what they think about medication. They can't prescribe personally so they don't have a personal stake in their recommendation. It's impossible to understand how severe your symptoms are over the internet. Again, meds have totally improved my life but I do think they are overprescibed and shouldn't be the first resort especially in teenagers where your brain is still developing.

The important thing is that you are working to improve your life and your symptoms so that you won't live with depression chronically. I wish I fucking started getting good psychiatric help at 14. Hopefully this can happen all through therapy but again if you are suffering you have every right to decide when it's enough to get on medication.

Last edited by reprise85 : 10-03-2011 at 04:40 PM.

Old 10-03-2011, 05:03 PM   #20
bahnzah
Apocalyptic Poster

what could a 14 year old possibly be depressed about.

Old 10-03-2011, 05:04 PM   #21
StuckInVain
Pledge

Depression should be treated.

Definitely.

It's not unusual to have suicidal thoughts. One-third (!!) of the population reports suicidal ideation.

Old 10-03-2011, 05:21 PM   #22
duovamp
Brazilian Blouselord

Is it like cool to be depressed or something? God damn, sounds like everybody who's had a bad day is depressed now.

Old 10-03-2011, 05:23 PM   #23
yo soy el mejor
Just Hook it to My Veins!

i'm not depressed, but i am very moody. : )

Old 10-03-2011, 05:36 PM   #24
Trotskilicious
Banned

Location: I believe in the transcendental qualities of friendship.

Quote:
Originally Posted by agenda suicide View Post
Yes, clearly the answer is to throw medication at the problem. I'm so sick of people with this mind set.
yeah i'm sure since you don't have any mental illnesses you'd know all about it

Old 10-03-2011, 05:37 PM   #25
Trotskilicious
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bahnzah View Post
what could a 14 year old possibly be depressed about.
boy this is the dumbest fucking thing you've said this week

Old 10-03-2011, 05:40 PM   #26
dean_r_koontz
Apocalyptic Poster

he must have been trolling.

Old 10-03-2011, 05:45 PM   #27
Trotskilicious
Banned

i thought bons0r had become mr. sensitives with appreciation, respect and love for all of the creatures on this earth or whatever

or is he still a hyperjudgemental dickhead with a new set of criteria to be judgemental about

Old 10-03-2011, 05:47 PM   #28
stripes
Apocalyptic Poster

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IRsPh...&feature=share

Old 10-03-2011, 05:55 PM   #29
duovamp
Brazilian Blouselord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trotskilicious View Post
i thought bons0r had become mr. sensitives with appreciation, respect and love for all of the creatures on this earth or whatever

or is he still a hyperjudgemental dickhead with a new set of criteria to be judgemental about
Yeah I thought he was our resident white knight.

You know, if someone else had said what he did first, he'd quote it and bitch to that person for their lack of perspective.

Old 10-03-2011, 06:15 PM   #30
agenda suicide
cunt cookies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trotskilicious View Post
yeah i'm sure since you don't have any mental illnesses you'd know all about it
I know that medication is abused too often in this country. I find nothing wrong with it when the proper steps are taken. It is scary knowing there are general practitioners that will write a perscription simply because someone walks in and says they think they're bipolar. Just because I don't have issues myself does not mean I don't know anything about the topic. When your family and close friends deal with problems, you're a bit clued in on what's going on.
I'm simply saying you don't need to jump to medication as the first step.

Last edited by agenda suicide : 10-03-2011 at 06:26 PM.