Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Smashing Pumpkins Boards > Smashing Pumpkins/Billy Corgan Discussion
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 06-21-2024, 12:48 AM   #541
brothahi4L
Apocalyptic Poster

Well Goldenboy.....nanana..... It is for real.
I havent listened to pumpkins for almost a year.
I am more into fred again, digitalism or moderat these days.

Old 06-21-2024, 03:02 AM   #542
Big Truck05
Apocalyptic Poster

I think Gossmer is and will always be a work in progress. Billy wont release it, because it essentially a jam. There's no hook with a song like this. It sounds pretty, but it's basically Atum as a summary, as an album liner notes, about how it was conceived.

Orchid is a song.

Old 06-21-2024, 07:13 AM   #543
Morlock
Ownz

It's weird to say that tracks on a record must be songs or shouldn't be jams or work in progress. I think Gossamer would be a great middle of second to final track on an album, but that comes with so many "ifs" - if the album itself works, if the production is good enough.

Old 06-21-2024, 08:00 AM   #544
amoergosum
Minion of Satan

Jimmy's fill....YEAH!!! >>>

Old 06-21-2024, 10:21 AM   #545
eviltimeban
Apocalyptic Poster

He genuinely looks like he's enjoying himself there. James too.

Old 06-21-2024, 02:49 PM   #546
eyeboogers
Demi-God

A late report from the Dublin show. I've seen SP six times over the years (+ a "TheFutureEmberace" show), and this is the best the band has been since reforming. With Jeff out, James has reclaimed his spot in a big way, both as an inventive guitarist and in terms of assuming a co-host type role, that made the multi hour set seem breezy.

Unlike the second Zeitgeist run of shows and especially the post-Oceania european tour, the band seemed like they wanted to play and enjoyed being in front a mostly appreciative audience. "Springtime" with Katie taking over the first verse was a highlight for me, but definitely the biggest going to the toilet or phone checking moment for casual fans in the crowd.

The only serious mistake of the SP/Weezer tour was adding the very one-note Teenage Mortgage to the line-up. My wife is not really a SP fan and could only name one song prior to the gig("Ava Adore" or actually "Adore" was as close as she got), at the end of the show, when I asked her what her favorite moment in the set had been, it was "Gossamer".

Old 06-22-2024, 09:37 AM   #547
Morlock
Ownz

I also enjoyed Springtimes live. On the record it is a decent song brought down by Billy's vocals in the intro, so Katie taking over that intro was very much the right choice. I generally appreciated her singing, she supported Billy's voice very well. Make her a permanent member.

Old 06-23-2024, 03:07 AM   #548
This is a username crisis.
Apocalyptic Poster

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by amoergosum View Post
Jimmy's fill....YEAH!!! >>>

Holy shit Jimmy actually sounds like Jimmy here. He's hitting with power and conviction and that sweet sweet push/pull as opposed to click track tippy-taps.

Billy seems to also be using his Corgan voice, which sounds very Machina-esque. A sine?

Old 06-23-2024, 03:42 AM   #549
amoergosum
Minion of Satan

Full Berlin show >>>

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KhT_zzcj7MU

The Everlasting Gaze
Doomsday Clock
Zoo Station
Today
Thru the Eyes of Ruby
Spellbinding
Tonight, Tonight
That Which Animates the Spirit
Ava Adore
Disarm
Springtimes
Mayonaise
Bullet With Butterfly Wings
Empires
Beguiled
Birch Grove
Gossamer (with “The Spaniards” ending)
Jellybelly
Cherub Rock
Zero

Old 06-23-2024, 10:26 AM   #550
jimmy drevpile
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by amoergosum View Post
Full Berlin show >>>

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KhT_zzcj7MU

The Everlasting Gaze
Doomsday Clock
Zoo Station
Today
Thru the Eyes of Ruby
Spellbinding
Tonight, Tonight
That Which Animates the Spirit
Ava Adore
Disarm
Springtimes
Mayonaise
Bullet With Butterfly Wings
Empires
Beguiled
Birch Grove
Gossamer (with “The Spaniards” ending)
Jellybelly
Cherub Rock
Zero
+vibes. This tour is great

Old 06-23-2024, 11:05 AM   #551
VoxUpDoc
Apocalyptic Poster

Yeah the vibe is different from most of the live shows I’ve seen before in person and otherwise.

In that Berlin vid the crowd is so joyous during 1979, it’s like a celebration of the band.
Also a lot of younger fans there. Corinne doing a damn good job on the ‘gram and it’s paying off for the band. Love to see it.

Old 06-23-2024, 12:47 PM   #552
houseofglass11
Minion of Satan

Someone saying make Katie Cole permanent and that Corrine is doing a great job on ig? Man some of y’all are on some heavy Reddit shit here.

Old 06-23-2024, 12:54 PM   #553
houseofglass11
Minion of Satan

What I’m getting from all the reviews here is that Kiki is an unnecessary addition. Not terrible but not adding anything essential. Billy needs to just play guitar on Ava and stop Trump dancing and they wouldn’t need her. James definitely seems to be shining more with that albatross Jeff gone.

Also sorry spguitar you’re still not getting the gig. You need some tough love here. Kiki isn’t going to just disappear so they can call you. Ease up on those “practice sessions” and go spend some time with your family or write some original music instead of endlessly stroking BC’s ego.

Old 06-23-2024, 02:03 PM   #554
Ram27
dumb

she's adding sex appeal which is unironically an important part of the band/stage presence. plus she's taking away jef; her parts actually have some personality to them

i have a bigger problem with katie cole who's about as unlistenable as corgan is now. it sounds so so cheesy and lame, like a woman in a commercial or something

Old 06-23-2024, 03:08 PM   #555
mayonaisedream4
Pledge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morlock View Post
I also enjoyed Springtimes live. On the record it is a decent song brought down by Billy's vocals in the intro, so Katie taking over that intro was very much the right choice. I generally appreciated her singing, she supported Billy's voice very well. Make her a permanent member.
Lol true, true

Old 06-23-2024, 03:26 PM   #556
ourruseoffools
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by houseofglass11 View Post
Also sorry spguitar you’re still not getting the gig. You need some tough love here. Kiki isn’t going to just disappear so they can call you. Ease up on those “practice sessions” and go spend some time with your family or write some original music instead of endlessly stroking BC’s ego.
you're right in your messaging but why do you even feel compelled to say this considering your public crisis over kiki getting hired in the first place

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ram27 View Post
she's adding sex appeal which is unironically an important part of the band/stage presence.
sex appeal is such cringy terminology but yes she got hired for her appearence though i bet she also has an easier personality to work with than 99% of the milquetoast men who wanteed the job

Old 06-23-2024, 03:28 PM   #557
ourruseoffools
Apocalyptic Poster

my mom told me when she saw mcis tour with my dad that he was so locked into darcy the whole time and it ruined the show for her and that was the only resounding memory she had of it despite the epic evening of music she must have witnessed....

Old 06-23-2024, 03:58 PM   #558
houseofglass11
Minion of Satan

The public crisis was you throwing a fit over me daring to point out her hollow social media narcissism when they announced hiring her. You are such a textbook zoomer that you get emotional in these threads when someone literally uses words or terminology that you can’t handle. Oh no someone said sex appeal! They’re denigrating her! Please be kind!

Old 06-23-2024, 04:11 PM   #559
houseofglass11
Minion of Satan

Oh is that the clacking of your keyboard I hear??? I’m sure you’ll have something really scathing to put me in my place!

Old 06-23-2024, 06:02 PM   #560
TheSultanOfCyr
Ownz

MONSTERRRRRRR TRRRRRRRRRRUCK!!!!!!!!!

Old 06-23-2024, 06:04 PM   #561
TheSultanOfCyr
Ownz

Listening to Zodeon at Crystal Hall as I type this. Burr is pretty good!

Old 06-23-2024, 06:07 PM   #562
TheSultanOfCyr
Ownz

Old 06-23-2024, 06:29 PM   #563
ourruseoffools
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by houseofglass11 View Post
Oh is that the clacking of your keyboard I hear??? I’m sure you’ll have something really scathing to put me in my place!

Old 06-23-2024, 11:21 PM   #564
run2pee
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ram27 View Post
i have a bigger problem with katie cole who's about as unlistenable as corgan is now. it sounds so so cheesy and lame, like a woman in a commercial or something
Not a fan of the backing vocals on any of the new recordings but live she props up that croak in such a way u can even, if u squint real hard, begin to pretend it’s not even a croaking at all

Old 06-23-2024, 11:28 PM   #565
run2pee
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ourruseoffools View Post
my mom told me when she saw mcis tour with my dad that he was so locked into darcy the whole time and it ruined the show for her and that was the only resounding memory she had of it despite the epic evening of music she must have witnessed....
Wow i feel so bad for your mom. Either she was really pitifully insecure in herself or your dad has preternatural eye boners…never heard of d’arcy causing any relationship problems before…

Old 06-23-2024, 11:34 PM   #566
ourruseoffools
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by run2pee View Post
Wow i feel so bad for your mom.
LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by run2pee View Post
your dad has preternatural eye boners
yes

Old 06-24-2024, 06:32 PM   #567
Spaldz
Apocalyptic Poster

Vienna show just finished. Ran till about 11:30pm. Key takeaways:

- Setlist still seems to be unbalanced. Real highs such as Mayonaise to snoozefest Springtimes and Birch Grove

- Band were in a good mood. Hell of a lot of teases starting with Kiki doing AC/DC with James singing during band introductions. There was even some classical music teases before Zero

- Band abandoned Rhinoceros as Billy's guitar wasn't working before restarting

- No Panopticon

- No Shame tease before Jellybelly. Went straight into it which I didn't expect and don't think it worked as well

- Gossamer was mega extended compared to some of the other shows

- Overall band in good shape. Kiki was decent again. Fits in really well

- No kids during Beguiled. Chloe was standing outside main door after show so guessing they are all still on tour

Old 06-24-2024, 08:05 PM   #568
Forgotten Child
Apocalyptic Poster

I like Birch Grove live, even tho I don't like the studio version. I also don't like Springtime live, even though I live the studio version (Jimmy's drums don't work here). They should have an acoustic set with a few song instead.

Old 06-24-2024, 08:11 PM   #569
pepper666
Pledge

Really enjoyed the Vienna show. James introduced the whole band - Billy as leading guitar Billy Corgan (is he back to Billy? William seemed weird), nobody introduced James though - I felt a bit bad for him . Some banter from Billy but not much response from audience (I also didnt hear/understand what he was saying). But band was in good mood, new songs sounded great. Springtimes was actually amazing w Katie singing in the beginning.

Old 06-25-2024, 06:44 AM   #570
New Art Rioter
Apocalyptic Poster

From the Berlin show vids they seemed to be in a really great mood there too. Think the tour is probably going well for them and it's not unlikely they're pleased the audience is a lot more energetic/younger

Also think I'd take extended Gossamer over Panopticon/Shame tease, it's not a bad trade off if the minutes are going there

Last edited by New Art Rioter : 06-25-2024 at 06:51 AM.