Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Smashing Pumpkins Boards > Smashing Pumpkins/Billy Corgan Discussion
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 09-27-2022, 12:39 PM   #61
BlissedandGone2
Minion of Satan

Location: You don't play guitar hero if you are a guitar hero.

Quote:
Originally Posted by topleybird View Post
Yes, yes, not really imo

I don't have the vocabulary to describe it, but I feel like Billy's been doing this with a lot of choruses on the past few records: it feels like it ought to be one of those big choruses, a big dynamic shift, and he might have some synths come in or something, but it just falls flat and feels muted. It feels to me like he wrote a stadium rocker and then, in the studio, got cold feet and decided not to record it that way.

On a first listen, this is definitely the most promising track to me, but I was pretty disappointed to hear him doing that same bogshite

Edit: I will say, this is my favorite song title of his in quite a while
Ok I listened based on this. I agree, it feels like they pull back in the studio. I think the perfectionist side of him is so focused on clean takes and clarity that it makes everything feel sterile and one note. I need to listen on better speakers but the drum sound is falling flat for me. Not the drumming itself, jimmy is killing it, but am I crazy or is there like a bad digital reverb on the drums?

Anyways, I find the song pretty catchy at least and I like Billy's solo because it's so clerly him. And the VOX are way hot as usual but the melody is pleasant enough to not be distracting.

Old 09-27-2022, 12:50 PM   #62
MyKeyZ
Apocalyptic Poster

Royalty Free Loops Studio Drummer Guitar Rig Preset Dad Rock
Cold, sterile, lifeless, paint by numbers

Billy has set the bar so low with his later output that we get all excited over a generic guitar solo.

Old 09-27-2022, 12:53 PM   #63
dustrocck
Demi-God

Yeah his singing isn't the most grating it's ever been, but it's so controlled it's almost lifeless.

I agree this is going to breathe better live.

Old 09-27-2022, 01:00 PM   #64
enthusaroo
Apocalyptic Poster

I listened to Adore today for the first time in more than 5 years.. standouts: Pug, Behold, Shame, For Martha.. such great songs, lyrics, and production.

Old 09-27-2022, 01:14 PM   #65
AveryLoren
Apocalyptic Poster

I kept waiting and waiting for this face melting guitar solo and then I had to listen to the track again because I missed it. I guess that little guitar lick is the solo.

Title is actually pretty great.

Song is also telling about the albums overall sonic signature: that being this disjointed, almost unstructured and pasted together arrangement.

Production is some of the worst I have ever heard from a band with Jimmy Chamberlin, Billy Corgan, engineer Howard Willing, millions of dollars worth of the best gear and a slew of absolutely amazing world class Nashville studios. Seriously, look at all their IG feeds and see just where this stuff was recorded. How the hell does my 20k home studio absolutely destroy their production? To me Corgan's ability to spend six figures on recordings that sound worse than teenagers recording to a laptop rarely gets the detailed scrutiny that it deserves.

Old 09-27-2022, 01:15 PM   #66
ilikeplanets
Braindead

I think this is going to be the absolute best the band is capable of from now on. Definitely better, but missing magic.

Old 09-27-2022, 01:17 PM   #67
New Art Rioter
Apocalyptic Poster

Just goes back to hire a decent producer really, think whilst BC is at the helm for production it's always going to be similar issues with the way the albums turn out. Goes for double when synths get involved

Old 09-27-2022, 01:23 PM   #68
Shadaloo
Apocalyptic Poster

!ENIHS

Not too shabby at all.

Old 09-27-2022, 01:27 PM   #69
dustrocck
Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by AveryLoren View Post
I kept waiting and waiting for this face melting guitar solo and then I had to listen to the track again because I missed it. I guess that little guitar lick is the solo.

Song is also telling about the albums overall sonic signature: that being this disjointed, almost unstructured and pasted together arrangement.

Production is some of the worst I have ever heard from a band with Jimmy Chamberlin, Billy Corgan, engineer Howard Willing, millions of dollars worth of the best gear and a slew of absolutely amazing world class Nashville studios. Seriously, look at all their IG feeds and see just where this stuff was recorded. How the hell does my 20k home studio absolutely destroy their production? To me Corgan's ability to spend six figures on recordings that sound worse than teenagers recording to a laptop rarely gets the detailed scrutiny that it deserves.
I wonder if he has hearing damage at this point.

Old 09-27-2022, 02:18 PM   #70
houseofglass11
Minion of Satan

There is no way Corgan di’d amp modeling guitar tracks. He’s too much of a purist with his guitar tone for that. It sounds like his Laney Supergroup and old Marshall’s to me. He also carts around a 600lb rack when a three space Axe Fx could do everything those modules that he uses live do.

Old 09-27-2022, 02:38 PM   #71
brothahi4L
Apocalyptic Poster

Now u cry for a producer. For ficken sake...rubin didnt make difference....besides belly wouldnt listen...i wouldnt bother if goodbye had a xhorus...but instead he chose to come up with a weird melody( shine on....)...that takes out the vibe.... Sure it was intended , but it shows that bollys writing on this will be strange.

Butterflys best part( where the guitar kicks in) isnt repeated, atum has a weird structure, beguiled bires the fuk outta my brain and goodbye has a great vive, drums but no real chorus where my cock could stand up high in the air and make a shuffle

Old 09-27-2022, 02:55 PM   #72
houseofglass11
Minion of Satan

brothabigcock4u, chill. Everything’s gonna be alright.

Old 09-27-2022, 03:12 PM   #73
mpp
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilikeplanets View Post
I think this is going to be the absolute best the band is capable of from now on. Definitely better, but missing magic.
a very reasonable and likely true take, sadly

Old 09-27-2022, 03:25 PM   #74
brothahi4L
Apocalyptic Poster

Lol.... I chill boy...u chill too..... I just wanted to say that my cock doesnt really get hard enuff when listening to good bye...

And mpp hope you ate wrong, although even the guy on the podcast was praising good bye as his favourite track on atum...
Jesus...

And empires? Well, all i can rememver was one heavy riff for 3 min and barcy singing empires 47 times.....

I miss the mix of heavy parts and softer parts inbetween songs( soma, porcelina, etc..)

Fuck man...my cock

Old 09-27-2022, 03:52 PM   #75
phang
Ownz

I dig it I guess. Agree with everyone who mentioned how digital and lifeless it sounds, but that's all we're gonna get nowadays. At least it's a rocker and it'll probably rip live.

!ENIHS

Old 09-27-2022, 04:45 PM   #76
VoxUpDoc
Apocalyptic Poster

Usual production problems aside… this is pretty good.

Old 09-27-2022, 05:08 PM   #77
slunken
Virgo

Quote:
Originally Posted by eviltimeban View Post
You can tell it was recorded remotely - drums first, guitars next, etc. I know SD was recorded that way but it had a lot of analogue warmth. This sounds digital and lifeless.
yes

Old 09-27-2022, 05:22 PM   #78
slunken
Virgo

He always brings up Neil Young as if they're contemporaries but Neil Young was back to doing cool shit at this stage (30-ish years later) of his career

Old 09-27-2022, 07:30 PM   #79
Ram27
dumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by AveryLoren View Post

VERY good point. i know they don't wanna live in apartments in atlanta for 6 months like for SD but fucking at least spend some non-zero amount of time tracking together

Old 09-27-2022, 07:45 PM   #80
pinetree
Ownz

[double post]

Old 09-27-2022, 07:46 PM   #81
pinetree
Ownz

i think

setting aside the horrible personality, stupid costumes and embarassing makeup

the guy is a family man in his mid 50s. there's no replacing the energy, determination and raw passion of a single 20 year old.

that musical output in his 20s was mind bendingly good

so given this context, I'm happy he's still putting out music. even if it kinda sucks most of the time, there's still some excitement of hearing what the old bastards been working on

Old 09-27-2022, 08:42 PM   #82
slunken
Virgo

or also we could rag on him because he's a dork and his music stinks

Old 09-27-2022, 09:04 PM   #83
LoveIsSuicide42
Demi-God

I definitely do get what people are hearing when they compare this to Oceania, but this has a little more swagger to it than anything on that album. I dig it. There is some edge to this band that hasn't been there in years.

Old 09-27-2022, 11:13 PM   #84
ourruseoffools
Apocalyptic Poster

since none of you listened to the actual podcast... him and jimmy basically confirmed that the drums for the whole album were recorded before the songs were even written, and then the songs were built from scratch off the drums

im not ENTIRELY talking smack on this method but its just a horrible result for a band who really really cared about spending ample time writing and refining their compositions

this is why everything sounds like a demo... this is why everything sounds cold and lifeless... this is why all the riffs are kinda similar and not satisfying... its all just done on the spot as a by numbers project

Old 09-27-2022, 11:21 PM   #85
Ram27
dumb

before even written? how? why?

i don't believe he would, given a total blank slate, play stuff this boring

Old 09-27-2022, 11:35 PM   #86
houseofglass11
Minion of Satan

Yeah no. He didn’t say that at all. In the podcast they said Jimmy’s drums were often recorded before the lyrics were finished. Billy said Jimmy is great at anticipating what the vocals are going to do even before hearing them. Jimmy didn’t just go in and a play a bunch of random drums and have Billy write around that.

Old 09-27-2022, 11:43 PM   #87
Big Truck05
Apocalyptic Poster

The podcast is actually quite good. Anyone with interest in the band should listen to it.

Old 09-27-2022, 11:57 PM   #88
ourruseoffools
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Truck05 View Post
The podcast is actually quite good. Anyone with interest in the band should listen to it.
its interesting for sure... though its kinda tough for them to be like "ok now we are discussing the everlasting gaze" but just have them go on and on about the music video and how it was a tough sell as a pop single... then right as they are closing out he briefly briefly mentions the process of them recording it at pumpkinland... like talk more about this PLEASE... like talk about the songwriting... go in depth about how you took a rough and undesirable demo such as disco king and polished it into a perfect fucking song... they wont do this because it shows holes in their current process

Old 09-28-2022, 12:00 AM   #89
Big Truck05
Apocalyptic Poster

I agree with the "lifeless" sound and recorded in different areas/ times.

My question. Do you think this is because of a money issue? Like getting everyone together, recording for 6 months plus, etc. is too costly compared to album sales or ROI? Or is this just the way things are done nowadays.

Old 09-28-2022, 12:05 AM   #90
Big Truck05
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by ourruseoffools View Post
its interesting for sure... though its kinda tough for them to be like "ok now we are discussing the everlasting gaze" but just have them go on and on about the music video and how it was a tough sell as a pop single... then right as they are closing out he briefly briefly mentions the process of them recording it at pumpkinland... like talk more about this PLEASE... like talk about the songwriting... go in depth about how you took a rough and undesirable demo such as disco king and polished it into a perfect fucking song... they wont do this because it shows holes in their current process
Agree with you 100%. But like anything, I think it's just new and they are trying to figure it out. Meaning, if this was episode 134, it might have better direction. If you noticed in the cast, Billy is laughing with Jimmy at one point saying these "stories" could go on forever. And, also, I don't know why they have a specified time to end the show. If this was, and it should be, a long format discussion, they would be able to dive way deeper than what we have now.