Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Smashing Pumpkins Boards > Smashing Pumpkins/Billy Corgan Discussion
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 10-05-2022, 07:10 PM   #241
slunken
Virgo

Quote:
Originally Posted by teh b0lly!!1 View Post
= "I can't be bothered of going through the grind of making a great album cuz I just do it for the money anyway, so I'm just gonna dump this gigantic load of crap on you so that YOU can do the work of squeezing out a decent sequence of songs from all this stuff, and if you think none of it is good you're not even a real fan anyway"

-Billy "Successful Competitive Business Model" Corgan
how sick was this though when he pulled it off 25-ish years ago

Old 10-05-2022, 07:12 PM   #242
slunken
Virgo

the pure mind-dump of Billy/Smashing Pumpkins from 1995-1996 was absolutely insane

Old 10-05-2022, 11:13 PM   #243
enthusaroo
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by slunken View Post
the pure mind-dump of Billy/Smashing Pumpkins from 1995-1996 was absolutely insane
now all he does now is take normal dumps
cheesy dumps
peanut filled dumps
etc

Old 10-06-2022, 12:13 AM   #244
selection7
Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadaloo View Post
I feel like it's impossible to have a functional SP message board. The vast majority of Bill's fans are very likely mostly emotionally unstable and I'm no exception.

I'm pretty much in the same boat you are. I'm going to enjoy what I can, and whatever sucks, sucks. If people want to shit on it, fine, I'm not going to stop them, but I wish the criticism was more often well informed and not just an ongoing stupid joke, like seems to be the case more often than not. I really appreciate it when people like houseofglass11 actually point out what sucks, even if I don't always agree.

It's not like there's a shortage of shortcomings to actually highlight.

IMO Hatephoria is largely a meme and I think it honestly feeds itself, to the point where some folks out there won't even let themselves even try to find anything to enjoy.
Years ago I posted one particular serious comment meant to provoke lots of thoughtful back and forth discussion and the only reply I got was a generic one along the lines of "How about it, though?!" Couple of years later, I posted a throw-away comment and somehow stirred up tons of replies. Once you accept that you're not coming here for thoughtful discussion and that 4 out of 5 posts will be misanthropes, wannabe comedians, or some combo of both, it frees you up to skim through all the fluff as fast as possible to get to the legit new news (assuming there is any), and then you just move on. YMMV, but it works for me.

Old 10-06-2022, 01:50 AM   #245
run2pee
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by selection7 View Post
Years ago I posted one particular serious comment meant to provoke lots of thoughtful back and forth discussion and the only reply I got was a generic one along the lines of "How about it, though?!" Couple of years later, I posted a throw-away comment and somehow stirred up tons of replies. Once you accept that you're not coming here for thoughtful discussion and that 4 out of 5 posts will be misanthropes, wannabe comedians, or some combo of both, it frees you up to skim through all the fluff as fast as possible to get to the legit new news (assuming there is any), and then you just move on. YMMV, but it works for me.
i for one would like to thank u for skimming our posts

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Netphoria is one of the most embarrassing sites I've ever visited. A bunch of 35 to 45-year-old trolls trying to out-extreme each other with the cliche shock humor of internet boards.None of those people represent their actual personalities there. It's just unfunny creeps in real life who get off on pretending to be aggressive, detached, and above-it-all in an anonymous setting."

u/halfmast

Old 10-06-2022, 02:45 AM   #246
VoxUpDoc
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Years ago I posted one particular serious comment meant to provoke lots of thoughtful back and forth discussion.
Why would you do this?

Old 10-06-2022, 04:43 AM   #247
eviltimeban
Apocalyptic Poster

Oh I thought the "10 song rock album" was the bonus 10 songs on this. So there's another 20 songs to come from this band after this 33 songs?

Have SP2 released more songs than SP 1 at this stage?

Old 10-06-2022, 05:50 AM   #248
pumpkins
Ownz

There's not even an individual thread for the new song?

Old 10-06-2022, 06:37 AM   #249
eviltimeban
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by pumpkins View Post
There's not even an individual thread for the new song?
Probably better not to. Cos then eventually there'll be 33 separate threads.

Old 10-06-2022, 06:41 AM   #250
enthusaroo
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by eviltimeban View Post
Probably better not to. Cos then eventually there'll be 33 separate threads.
plus the vast majority of the new songs suck

Old 10-06-2022, 09:48 AM   #251
TheAlter
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
How many years ago was it? been round for two and still have to see anything even remotely "thoughtful"

rofl

Old 10-07-2022, 01:35 AM   #252
Raskolnikov
Apocalyptic Poster

I listened to the first two episodes of the podcast... and I'm with some of you in that I don't want to hear these songs in Apple Podcast 16 kbps or whatever. But I also feel like I'm missing out if I don't listen to these in real time because of yeah, well, obviously, to get all of the "story" that I can outta the gate.

Whole thing is a slog anyways.

Tempted to just skip to the back 20 minutes of each and listen to the old song chatter, as there's bound to be some pearls in there, right?

Old 10-07-2022, 06:29 AM   #253
eviltimeban
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raskolnikov View Post
Tempted to just skip to the back 20 minutes of each and listen to the old song chatter, as there's bound to be some pearls in there, right?
That's the best approach to this.

Old 10-07-2022, 08:13 AM   #254
enthusaroo
Apocalyptic Poster

Billy & co. spent many months of hard work coming up with the marketing strategies and the fantastical story behind ATUM.

you guys skipping through the first 16 minutes? WTF

/s

Old 10-07-2022, 09:50 AM   #255
Jesus Cambodia
Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadaloo View Post
I feel like it's impossible to have a functional SP message board. The vast majority of Bill's fans are very likely mostly emotionally unstable and I'm no exception.

I'm pretty much in the same boat you are. I'm going to enjoy what I can, and whatever sucks, sucks. If people want to shit on it, fine, I'm not going to stop them, but I wish the criticism was more often well informed and not just an ongoing stupid joke, like seems to be the case more often than not. I really appreciate it when people like houseofglass11 actually point out what sucks, even if I don't always agree.

It's not like there's a shortage of shortcomings to actually highlight.

IMO Hatephoria is largely a meme and I think it honestly feeds itself, to the point where some folks out there won't even let themselves even try to find anything to enjoy.
'Hatephoria' is an essential part of following this band.
I fell in love with Corgan's songs as a teen and still enjoy most of the songs he writes, but I also enjoy laughing at him and his absurdities.

I remember going to an Oceania-era show. It was in a small club, had a great setlist, etc. Great time. They were selling USB's with a recording of the show for a ridiculous price. We asked the guy about it, and he said 'Well, it also includes a special message from Billy.' So we rolled our eyes, laughed, and walked away. A special message! LOL! Fast forward ten years later, and he's talking about 'June' and 'Shiny' in spaceships. LOL!
Oh, I should mention that on that Oceania tour he hired a teenage drummer in an attempt to become a viral sensation! LOL!

So yeah, I enjoy coming here for this sort of niche humor. Apparently we lost Monte IT* mormon micropenis or whatever, which is tragic. But Bill has been providing enough to keep it going.

Old 10-07-2022, 10:57 AM   #256
enthusaroo
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesus Cambodia View Post
'Hatephoria' is an essential part of following this band.
I fell in love with Corgan's songs as a teen and still enjoy most of the songs he writes, but I also enjoy laughing at him and his absurdities.

I remember going to an Oceania-era show. It was in a small club, had a great setlist, etc. Great time. They were selling USB's with a recording of the show for a ridiculous price. We asked the guy about it, and he said 'Well, it also includes a special message from Billy.' So we rolled our eyes, laughed, and walked away. A special message! LOL! Fast forward ten years later, and he's talking about 'June' and 'Shiny' in spaceships. LOL!
Oh, I should mention that on that Oceania tour he hired a teenage drummer in an attempt to become a viral sensation! LOL!

So yeah, I enjoy coming here for this sort of niche humor. Apparently we lost Monte IT* mormon micropenis or whatever, which is tragic. But Bill has been providing enough to keep it going.
this reply hits so hard

Old 10-07-2022, 11:44 AM   #257
themadcaplaughs
Apocalyptic Poster

Finally got around to listening to the one with Jimmy where they talk about "The Everlasting Gaze". Cool tidbit that James played bass on that song. It was so aggressive that I always assumed Billy handled that one.

Old 10-07-2022, 12:00 PM   #258
Ram27
dumb

why isn't a band member on every one? instead of [who the FUCK is youngblood] and AGAIN I SWEAR TO GOD THESE FUCKING WRESTLING RANDOS

completely kills any semblance of taste or art or curation or polish

Old 10-07-2022, 12:33 PM   #259
Spaceboy88
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ram27 View Post
why isn't a band member on every one? instead of [who the FUCK is youngblood] and AGAIN I SWEAR TO GOD THESE FUCKING WRESTLING RANDOS

completely kills any semblance of taste or art or curation or polish
Agree completely. They can't even disguise the scripted nature of the questions, and you know that at least one of them thought it was called "Rat in a Cage" back in the day.

And of all the legendary musicians Billy has crossed paths with throughout his career, he brings on Yungblud?! He also was singing the praises of Machine Gun Kelly, as if the people that give a shit about SP enough to listen to this podcast have any intention of listening to those terrible artists.

Imagine someone like Eddie Vedder doing a podcast to promote a new album. You just know that it would have A-list celebs and competent and respectable hosts. How does Billy continue to be so bad at all of this?

Old 10-07-2022, 12:40 PM   #260
ourruseoffools
Apocalyptic Poster

I thought yungblud was fine on the episode and even said some cool stuff

Old 10-07-2022, 01:26 PM   #261
paranoid
Minion of Satan

LOL if you're expecting top tier celebs on a Billy Corgan podcast.

Mike Garson was a good one to get for the pod. But there's only been 4 episodes, I expect at LEAST Jack Bates will make an appearance.

Old 10-07-2022, 01:39 PM   #262
run2pee
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by themadcaplaughs View Post
Finally got around to listening to the one with Jimmy where they talk about "The Everlasting Gaze". Cool tidbit that James played bass on that song. It was so aggressive that I always assumed Billy handled that one.
Awesome bit of tid, there

(Duuuuuuuuuude what r tids lol…..rofl)

Wish one of u would list for us all the bits so we don’t all have to suffer. Who’s been listening to each one? We see u lurkin there, get the fuck in here and contribute to the community u utter

Old 10-07-2022, 01:40 PM   #263
run2pee
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by paranoid View Post
LOL if you're expecting top tier celebs on a Billy Corgan podcast.

Mike Garson was a good one to get for the pod. But there's only been 4 episodes, I expect at LEAST Jack Bates will make an appearance.
Someone on Reddit said Tila tequila was seen headed into the building where they are recording these…..

Old 10-07-2022, 01:46 PM   #264
themadcaplaughs
Apocalyptic Poster

Started the following one (with Yungblud). One of the co-hosts (in his opening speech) said Gish came out in 1992. SP camp is probably pissed. Yungblud conversation is actually fairly interesting back and forth, with intelligent questions being asked and the two of them actually teaching each other new things. After the other episodes, this seems surprisingly...dare I say...enjoyable.

Another interesting tidbit. At least according to Corgan, the band was interested in signing to Virgin right off the bat, but Virgin did not have enough confidence in their material and selling power to do anything other than place them on Caroline. If that is true, and it could very well be Billy revisionist history, it goes against the common belief you read that he purposefully signed to Caroline for the credibility factor of starting off on an "indie" label.

Old 10-07-2022, 02:21 PM   #265
run2pee
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Started the following one (with Yungblud). One of the co-hosts (in his opening speech) said Gish came out in 1992. SP camp is probably pissed. Yungblud conversation is actually fairly interesting back and forth, with intelligent questions being asked and the two of them actually teaching each other new things. After the other episodes, this seems surprisingly...dare I say...enjoyable.

Another interesting tidbit. At least according to Corgan, the band was interested in signing to Virgin right off the bat, but Virgin did not have enough confidence in their material and selling power to do anything other than place them on Caroline. If that is true, and it could very well be Billy revisionist history, it goes against the common belief you read that he purposefully signed to Caroline for the credibility factor of starting off on an "indie" label.
awesome, thank u for sharing the good stuff

Old 10-07-2022, 02:34 PM   #266
TheAlter
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
At least according to Corgan, the band was interested in signing to Virgin right off the bat, but Virgin did not have enough confidence in their material and selling power to do anything other than place them on Caroline. If that is true, and it could very well be Billy revisionist history, it goes against the common belief you read that he purposefully signed to Caroline for the credibility factor of starting off on an "indie" label.
Yeah apocryphal af

Back then everyone and their brother started out on indie. That was the way to go.

Probably he wanted to go Virgin right off the bat and they advised him differently

Old 10-07-2022, 02:49 PM   #267
VoxUpDoc
Apocalyptic Poster

Thoight the Yungblud chat was the most entertaining part of the pod.

Old 10-07-2022, 03:02 PM   #268
T&T
Socialphobic

obviously they advised him against it. indie cred was all the rage. who the fuck were these no-bodies from joliette?

Old 10-07-2022, 04:56 PM   #269
paranoid
Minion of Satan

when he talks about james playing bass, he means when they were recording to get a good drum track. So we still don't know who played the final take of bass on the track.

Old 10-07-2022, 04:57 PM   #270
paranoid
Minion of Satan

also in this last podcast, when referencing the dream of the original band, billy said the name "darcy wretzky" which is surprising as i thought he never wanted to utter her name.