Netphoria Message Board


Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Smashing Pumpkins Boards > Smashing Pumpkins/Billy Corgan Discussion
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-18-2022, 10:40 PM   #31
enthusaroo
Apocalyptic Poster
 
enthusaroo's Avatar
 
Location: ameriKKKa
Posts: 1,853
Default

I met Jimmy and Jeff in New Zealand.. later on Jeff sucked Jimmy's dick in the bathroom.

 
enthusaroo is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2022, 12:13 AM   #32
Big Truck05
Ownz
 
Big Truck05's Avatar
 
Location: Riverside, CA
Posts: 836
Default

I've met Billy 3 times and Jimmy once... with Billy.

You know... the important ones.

 
Big Truck05 is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2022, 12:15 AM   #33
Big Truck05
Ownz
 
Big Truck05's Avatar
 
Location: Riverside, CA
Posts: 836
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaceboy88 View Post
I've met Billy, Jimmy and James on multiple occasions. I used to work in the music biz and had a handful of opportunities to work closely with the band.

Billy was always hot or cold...sometimes he was nice and engaging, but more often than not he was a curmudgeon. Even when he's "nice" it's short-lived. Definitely proves the old adage correct about "never meet your idols."

Jimmy has always been cool as fuck. Makes you feel like you're the center of his attention when talking to you. Never had really in-depth convos with him but once asked him a random gear question and he lit up. Guy truly loves the craft of drumming and it shows.

James was always different person when he was around the band or solo. I'd run into him many times in NYC dive bars and he was much more loose and relaxed. Also during tour for his second solo record he would actively come into the crowd and mingle after his set and was a true pleasure to be around.

Never met D'arcy...started working in the biz after she was booted. I did get to spend some time with Paz, Matt and David with Zwan, and Paz was a sweetheart, Matt was a pompous prick and David seemed cut from the same cloth as James. The few interactions I had with Matt were always post-Zwan show and knowing how him and Billy feel about each other now, I kinda give him a pass.
This was exactly my interactions with Billy and Jimmy. Spot on.

 
Big Truck05 is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2022, 12:46 AM   #34
Machinist
Pledge
 
Posts: 211
Default

In short

Billy & JC - a few times. BC once during the TFE tour. Was friendly enough, if not business-like signing stuff for fans. Then at a signing in London for American Gothic. He was fairly reserved again, as was JC.

James - briefly before an APC gig. Was fairly emotionless.

MADM - I've met her a few times, and she has always been really engaging and good fun. She seemed to go out of her way to talk to fans. Chatted about photography for ages.

Others:

Strawberry - met her in London and chatted for a bit. Was quite cute in person if I recall.


Now in 2022 I question why the fuck I'd stop people to ask them inane questions they have answered a million times. Poor bastards.

 
Machinist is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2022, 01:39 AM   #35
deadlecturer
Amish Rake Fighter
 
Posts: 18
Default

Hey you guys, I met Billy twice in 2000 (?). One was at a meet and greet (no concert but I suppose the Resume the Pose tour). I was in high school and was mortified when I watched my friend ask Billy if she could touch his head. He gave a sheepish smile and bowed his head to her. Could you imagine Billy doing anything like that today? He was another person, was breaking up the band, and maybe was excited about the next stage in his career. In retrospect, he was so generous. Unfortunately, I can't remember what, if anything, I said to him. I was too shy to speak, and I'd just taken a photo of James with my camera right in his face. (Sorry, James, I should've asked first, but I was nervous and young.) Machina mustn't have come out yet, so I had no idea what to ask them to sign. I brought Adore, so I have a copy of Adore signed by Jimmy (a prominent John Hancock-esque "JC") and MAdM (very modest, in the corner), along with the two guys who actually played on it.

At a 2000 show, one of my pals got me a backstage pass. I met Billy and gave him a copy of Brave New World. I was obsessed with the book and thought that soma must have been a SINE. Billy was nice but was facing a line of about 100 radio contest winners. In retrospect, it was sweet how accessible he was---very gracious while closing this chapter in his life. It obviously meant tons to those people in line, including me. After those folks left, Billy came to where I and my friend and her friends were hanging and complained about how poorly the show went. His voice was bad, he said. I think my friend had told me of the potential breakup, so I was pretty crushed that what I thought was my last SP show was a disappointment to its creator.

(Meanwhile, I had ditched my girlfriend to go backstage, and she and her dad, who was driving us, was livid.)

I met Jimmy briefly back in 2016. I was mostly scouting out the theater because Iggy Pop was playing there the next week, and I wanted to meet him (I did, and he kissed me on the mouth. As a homosexual man, I was thrilled, and worried about what diseases I'd just contracted.). I only had my journal for him to sign, which he did. After Jimmy left, security asked us to move around the corner of the theater, so like the Little Rascals, we had to poke out heads around the corner to watch Billy walk into the car that was waiting for him about 200 FEET AWAY.

Oh, when I was living in New York in the mid-00s, I was walking through the East Village to the subway. I was too, too drunk, but across the street was James walking his dog. I should have apologized for shoving that camera in his face, but instead, I asked the first question that came to mind: "James, where's Bugg?" I was too inebriated to have done the math that would ensure my answer. I only remembered the happy puppy face in the Gish liner notes. James, however, had a very kind, diplomatic response.

 
deadlecturer is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2022, 01:55 AM   #36
brothahi4L
Apocalyptic Poster
 
Posts: 1,242
Default

Funny, but your try to rebuild bill in colmar was really great.

You come pretty close.... He really looked like that...

 
brothahi4L is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2022, 02:37 AM   #37
Big Truck05
Ownz
 
Big Truck05's Avatar
 
Location: Riverside, CA
Posts: 836
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadlecturer View Post
Hey you guys, I met Billy twice in 2000 (?). One was at a meet and greet (no concert but I suppose the Resume the Pose tour). I was in high school and was mortified when I watched my friend ask Billy if she could touch his head. He gave a sheepish smile and bowed his head to her. Could you imagine Billy doing anything like that today? He was another person, was breaking up the band, and maybe was excited about the next stage in his career. In retrospect, he was so generous. Unfortunately, I can't remember what, if anything, I said to him. I was too shy to speak, and I'd just taken a photo of James with my camera right in his face. (Sorry, James, I should've asked first, but I was nervous and young.) Machina mustn't have come out yet, so I had no idea what to ask them to sign. I brought Adore, so I have a copy of Adore signed by Jimmy (a prominent John Hancock-esque "JC") and MAdM (very modest, in the corner), along with the two guys who actually played on it.

At a 2000 show, one of my pals got me a backstage pass. I met Billy and gave him a copy of Brave New World. I was obsessed with the book and thought that soma must have been a SINE. Billy was nice but was facing a line of about 100 radio contest winners. In retrospect, it was sweet how accessible he was---very gracious while closing this chapter in his life. It obviously meant tons to those people in line, including me. After those folks left, Billy came to where I and my friend and her friends were hanging and complained about how poorly the show went. His voice was bad, he said. I think my friend had told me of the potential breakup, so I was pretty crushed that what I thought was my last SP show was a disappointment to its creator.

(Meanwhile, I had ditched my girlfriend to go backstage, and she and her dad, who was driving us, was livid.)

I met Jimmy briefly back in 2016. I was mostly scouting out the theater because Iggy Pop was playing there the next week, and I wanted to meet him (I did, and he kissed me on the mouth. As a homosexual man, I was thrilled, and worried about what diseases I'd just contracted.). I only had my journal for him to sign, which he did. After Jimmy left, security asked us to move around the corner of the theater, so like the Little Rascals, we had to poke out heads around the corner to watch Billy walk into the car that was waiting for him about 200 FEET AWAY.

Oh, when I was living in New York in the mid-00s, I was walking through the East Village to the subway. I was too, too drunk, but across the street was James walking his dog. I should have apologized for shoving that camera in his face, but instead, I asked the first question that came to mind: "James, where's Bugg?" I was too inebriated to have done the math that would ensure my answer. I only remembered the happy puppy face in the Gish liner notes. James, however, had a very kind, diplomatic response.
**mods** please moderate Amish Meth Fighter.

 
Big Truck05 is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2022, 07:37 AM   #38
TheAlter
Ownz
 
TheAlter's Avatar
 
Location: Purple house on N. Greenview Ave Chicago, the year is 1993
Posts: 946
Default

These unsubstantiated reports are hilarious, thank you!

proper wankered liam gallagher

 
TheAlter is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2022, 09:20 AM   #39
eviltimeban
Apocalyptic Poster
 
eviltimeban's Avatar
 
Posts: 1,164
Default

I think the question that should be asked is have any of the Pumpkins ever met you?

 
eviltimeban is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2022, 12:10 PM   #40
topleybird
Janis Jopleybird
 
topleybird's Avatar
 
Location: Let me see the booty hop. And now make the booty stop. Now drop, and do the booty wop.
Posts: 5,306
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiscoJon View Post
We all had to look up who the fuck Peggy Flemming was, you fucking moron.
Glad to have taught one of you "I refuse to learn about or acknowledge any notable people or events from before I was born" folks about the woman who popularized figure skating

 
topleybird is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2022, 12:11 PM   #41
topleybird
Janis Jopleybird
 
topleybird's Avatar
 
Location: Let me see the booty hop. And now make the booty stop. Now drop, and do the booty wop.
Posts: 5,306
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by brothahi4L View Post
Funny, but your try to rebuild bill in colmar was really great.

You come pretty close.... He really looked like that...
Beautiful. I should be a police sketch artist!

 
topleybird is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2022, 12:16 PM   #42
Shallowed
Braindead
 
Shallowed's Avatar
 
Posts: 18,501
Default

fuck the police!

 
Shallowed is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2022, 12:17 PM   #43
Joey Goldberg
Minion of Satan
 
Joey Goldberg's Avatar
 
Location: in the line for drinks (or is it just tickets to buy the drinks?)
Posts: 5,122
Default

comin' straight from

 
Joey Goldberg is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2022, 12:21 PM   #44
topleybird
Janis Jopleybird
 
topleybird's Avatar
 
Location: Let me see the booty hop. And now make the booty stop. Now drop, and do the booty wop.
Posts: 5,306
Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shallowed View Post
fuck the police!
Oh, hmm

I fully agree, not sure what came over me

Just got excited for a second there about a new career

I'm sure within weeks, they'd have me drawing an insulting stereotype of a Black man regardless of what the victim was telling me

 
topleybird is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2022, 12:24 PM   #45
Joey Goldberg
Minion of Satan
 
Joey Goldberg's Avatar
 
Location: in the line for drinks (or is it just tickets to buy the drinks?)
Posts: 5,122
Default

it's too late to back down now topleybird, your true colors have been shown

hell, i'm starting to wonder if you're even actually a grey cat!

 
Joey Goldberg is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2022, 02:39 PM   #46
themadcaplaughs
Apocalyptic Poster
 
Posts: 2,299
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AveryLoren View Post
I worked at the Cain’s Ballroom in Tulsa and got to meet James while he was with the band Tinted Windows back in 2009. It was basically like talking to a wall, absolutely no emotion. Later on, after the show there was catering from a local barbecue place called Billy Sims. He didn’t seem to enjoy the food.

Not a band member and I have mentioned this in greater detail on here before, but I met Linda Strawberry back in 2007 at a flophouse in LA.

I camped out in front of the Palladium Ballroom in Dallas on the Shamrocks tour and Billy and Jeff drove up in a covered golf car and Billy looked at the girl I was with, looked at me and had the most disgusted look on his face. That night at the show he literally spit on me.

Also, I grew up with the Hanson's and I actually played Taylor Hanson Pisces Iscariot on cassette in my grandmothers car when we were kids.
You're like this Forrest Gump character in the SP world; having all these stories, intersections with the band, and knowledge. But not the good years of the band; just the period from 2007 to 2013ish when absolutely nobody cared about Billy Corgan and the media didn't even consider him an important enough figure to report his transphobia.

 
themadcaplaughs is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2022, 02:56 PM   #47
topleybird
Janis Jopleybird
 
topleybird's Avatar
 
Location: Let me see the booty hop. And now make the booty stop. Now drop, and do the booty wop.
Posts: 5,306
Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by AveryLoren View Post
I'm guessing you're referring to me?
Look I'm gonna level with you

Do you know how often an opportunity, even a terribly flimsy one, comes along to say "My dad claims he went on a date with Peggy Fleming"

 
topleybird is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2022, 03:42 PM   #48
AveryLoren
Apocalyptic Poster
 
AveryLoren's Avatar
 
Location: Upside Down Narnia
Posts: 1,678
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by themadcaplaughs View Post
You're like this Forrest Gump character in the SP world; having all these stories, intersections with the band, and knowledge. But not the good years of the band; just the period from 2007 to 2013ish when absolutely nobody cared about Billy Corgan and the media didn't even consider him an important enough figure to report his transphobia.
But not the good years of the band... Right! I had a tiny amount of connections in that weird era (exactly like you say 07-13) and absolutely nothing became of it. I tried my best to meet Billy. I am also I think a good 10 years younger than the average person around here or the OG Pumpkins fan despite being somewhat OG myself. I wonder if I had shown Billy the VHS recordings my mother made in the summer of 97 when I turned my entire room into a Pumpkins shrine he might have been more willing to talk to me.

 
AveryLoren is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2022, 03:45 PM   #49
AveryLoren
Apocalyptic Poster
 
AveryLoren's Avatar
 
Location: Upside Down Narnia
Posts: 1,678
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by topleybird View Post
Look I'm gonna level with you

Do you know how often an opportunity, even a terribly flimsy one, comes along to say "My dad claims he went on a date with Peggy Fleming"
While I have no idea who that is, I love the cat in your avatar. I have been associating that as being you in my mind and I just want to say I think you're really cute.

 
AveryLoren is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2022, 04:21 PM   #50
topleybird
Janis Jopleybird
 
topleybird's Avatar
 
Location: Let me see the booty hop. And now make the booty stop. Now drop, and do the booty wop.
Posts: 5,306
Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by AveryLoren View Post
I have been associating that as being you in my mind
Buddy if I had a nickel...

 
topleybird is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2022, 04:59 PM   #51
smashingjj
the actual guy
 
smashingjj's Avatar
 
Location: if Monsanto and Purdue Pharma had a baby
Posts: 36,446
Default

you'd knock it off the edge of the table it was on with your paw while looking your human straight in the eye?

 
smashingjj is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2022, 06:27 PM   #52
Joey Goldberg
Minion of Satan
 
Joey Goldberg's Avatar
 
Location: in the line for drinks (or is it just tickets to buy the drinks?)
Posts: 5,122
Default

no need to spoil the ending of Inception

 
Joey Goldberg is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2022, 11:47 AM   #53
BurtSampson
Apocalyptic Poster
 
BurtSampson's Avatar
 
Location: Billy's Buttcrack
Posts: 1,672
Default

Honestly all these James stories track with what I've always thought. He's kind of a prick with some kind of personality disorder. Not excusing Billy, but imagine being in a band with someone who is so emotionless and aloof all the time

 
BurtSampson is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2022, 11:49 AM   #54
Joey Goldberg
Minion of Satan
 
Joey Goldberg's Avatar
 
Location: in the line for drinks (or is it just tickets to buy the drinks?)
Posts: 5,122
Default

I had a long-term but still relatively hidden/quiet relationship with D'arcy in the 90s. Being on tour with the Pumpkins, & additionally, the hottest woman in rock, it was irresistable. She was married at the time, I'm not proud of it, but I'll be damned if I said I'd change a thing. Wonder what she's up to now, I did write a platinum-selling album after that ended and you know, if I'm being completely honest, I still kind of miss her sometimes

 
Joey Goldberg is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2022, 01:49 PM   #55
KManXC
Ownz
 
KManXC's Avatar
 
Location: Charlottesville, VA
Posts: 571
Default

I met Billy and Jimmy after the Glass House Zwan show in LA. Billy refused to take pictures or sign an autograph. In his defense (which I don't like to do) he was likely tired after the show. Jimmy, however, was super chill/ cool and gave me and the guy I was with a homemade cookie. Sat with him for a bit and chatted.
__________________
Chances are excellent I don't like you

 
KManXC is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2022, 01:56 PM   #56
incubator
Apocalyptic Poster
 
Posts: 1,044
Default

I've met WPC a few times. Once in the early 90s as a fan and a few times in the last couple of years in business (not music) contexts.

When I met him in the 90s he was a complete dick to me.

I mentioned it to him when I first met him properly and he kinda closed his eyes, scrunched up his face for about 5 seconds before pointing at me and saying "Nottingham..Rock City... 1993!" (which was the correct place and I think the right year, it was definitely around then!).

He kinda apologised and explained his "method" for communicating with fans and the press. It sounded like 1. he'd put a lot of thought into it. 2. it made some sort of sense..and 3. a lot like pickup artist / "mystery method" stuff. Complete with like "negging" and "peacocking". BUT I've found him to be an absolute JOY.

I've met Jimmy once, again, in a business context and he was as great as everyone says but honestly doesn't know wtf he's talking about regarding tech or business.

 
incubator is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2022, 02:45 PM   #57
Spaceboy88
Apocalyptic Poster
 
Spaceboy88's Avatar
 
Location: NYC
Posts: 1,256
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by incubator View Post
...doesn't know wtf he's talking about regarding tech or business.
Just like will.i.am

 
Spaceboy88 is online now
Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2022, 04:46 PM   #58
New Art Rioter
Apocalyptic Poster
 
Location: vortex of lost souls
Posts: 1,710
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by incubator View Post
I've met WPC a few times. Once in the early 90s as a fan and a few times in the last couple of years in business (not music) contexts.

When I met him in the 90s he was a complete dick to me.

I mentioned it to him when I first met him properly and he kinda closed his eyes, scrunched up his face for about 5 seconds before pointing at me and saying "Nottingham..Rock City... 1993!" (which was the correct place and I think the right year, it was definitely around then!).

He kinda apologised and explained his "method" for communicating with fans and the press. It sounded like 1. he'd put a lot of thought into it. 2. it made some sort of sense..and 3. a lot like pickup artist / "mystery method" stuff. Complete with like "negging" and "peacocking". BUT I've found him to be an absolute JOY.

I've met Jimmy once, again, in a business context and he was as great as everyone says but honestly doesn't know wtf he's talking about regarding tech or business.
More details please - how was he a dick? I'd love to hear what the 'method' entails

 
New Art Rioter is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2022, 05:19 PM   #59
Cool As Ice Cream
Just Hook it to My Veins!
 
Cool As Ice Cream's Avatar
 
Location: František! How's the foot of your turtle?
Posts: 32,372
Default

lol

 
Cool As Ice Cream is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2022, 05:41 PM   #60
Spaceboy88
Apocalyptic Poster
 
Spaceboy88's Avatar
 
Location: NYC
Posts: 1,256
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Art Rioter View Post
More details please - how was he a dick? I'd love to hear what the 'method' entails
Isn't it that bullshit "wrestling" mentality he talks about? Where he plays a character to generate a visceral audience reaction.

God, wrestling is so fucking dumb.

 
Spaceboy88 is online now
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Google


Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Smashing Pumpkins 'Shiny And Oh So Bright' Tour 2018 amoergosum Pumpkins Archive 5079 02-26-2019 09:35 PM
Machina II: In The Shade, A Spider Waits In Lies warewolf95 Pumpkins Archive 61 01-14-2017 10:25 AM
You guys have no idea how lucky you are... Day dreaming Of Darcy Pumpkins Archive 152 10-20-2009 11:48 PM
ISO: Daydream (Live) and Callout Hooks glued_on_wings Pumpkins Archive 16 12-14-2008 04:50 PM
attn: Randall Sandell agenda suicide General Chat Archive 14 04-15-2006 11:33 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:33 AM.




Smashing Pumpkins, Alternative Music
& General Discussion Message Board and Forums
www.netphoria.org - Copyright © 1998-2022