Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Smashing Pumpkins Boards > Smashing Pumpkins/Billy Corgan Discussion
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 01-16-2022, 07:26 PM   #1
Ram27
dumb

Default Have you met any of the Pumpkins?

how was it

i met jimmy and he was cool

Old 01-17-2022, 07:45 AM   #2
Funbags
Apocalyptic Poster

Red face

I met Billy during the tour with the kazoos n' shit.

It felt like he was making fun of me for liking his band. That's when I realized he thinks fans are disposable. He can take his anger out on fans, and what are they going to do? Not buy his music? Post on Netphoria?

Old 01-17-2022, 01:14 PM   #3
brothahi4L
Apocalyptic Poster

It was in colmar( france) when me and my friend were having a coffee after we had smoked a spliff in the hotel. Suddenly a really strangely dressed dude came towards our café. It was bill, jimmy following him. I guess they were just walking the old town. Nobody approached them. So i did. We had a small conversation and i took a photo with bith of them. Bill was friendly, but jimmy was really cool, polite and funny.

After that lot of other fans asked for pics ...

The concert was great.....

I wont forget that moment and i wont forget how bill was dressed..

Old 01-17-2022, 01:16 PM   #4
topleybird
Janis Jopleybird

Location: Let me see you do the booty hop. And now make the booty stop. Now drop, and do the booty wop.
Unhappy

Yeah I met them all right, but not the one you care about

And I'm still in therapy about it frankly

Old 01-17-2022, 01:18 PM   #5
topleybird
Janis Jopleybird

Location: Let me see you do the booty hop. And now make the booty stop. Now drop, and do the booty wop.
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by brothahi4L View Post
I wont forget that moment and i wont forget how bill was dressed..
Sincere question: Can you describe his clothes for us, or ideally describe and draw us a picture in MS Paint or Photoshop or something

Old 01-17-2022, 01:59 PM   #6
Spaceboy88
Apocalyptic Poster

I've met Billy, Jimmy and James on multiple occasions. I used to work in the music biz and had a handful of opportunities to work closely with the band.

Billy was always hot or cold...sometimes he was nice and engaging, but more often than not he was a curmudgeon. Even when he's "nice" it's short-lived. Definitely proves the old adage correct about "never meet your idols."

Jimmy has always been cool as fuck. Makes you feel like you're the center of his attention when talking to you. Never had really in-depth convos with him but once asked him a random gear question and he lit up. Guy truly loves the craft of drumming and it shows.

James was always different person when he was around the band or solo. I'd run into him many times in NYC dive bars and he was much more loose and relaxed. Also during tour for his second solo record he would actively come into the crowd and mingle after his set and was a true pleasure to be around.

Never met D'arcy...started working in the biz after she was booted. I did get to spend some time with Paz, Matt and David with Zwan, and Paz was a sweetheart, Matt was a pompous prick and David seemed cut from the same cloth as James. The few interactions I had with Matt were always post-Zwan show and knowing how him and Billy feel about each other now, I kinda give him a pass.

Old 01-17-2022, 02:29 PM   #7
brothahi4L
Apocalyptic Poster

....i guess bills character fits the 90s best....

Old 01-17-2022, 04:19 PM   #8
smashingjj
real estate cowboy

I met Jimmy after a Complex show in Utrecht where I told him I preferred Life Begins Again to TheFutureEmbrace and he reacted rightly awkward to that unsolicited opinion.

Old 01-17-2022, 05:57 PM   #9
ninsp
Apocalyptic Poster

Met Billy once
Was a raging asshole

Old 01-17-2022, 06:14 PM   #10
themadcaplaughs
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaceboy88 View Post
I've met Billy, Jimmy and James on multiple occasions. I used to work in the music biz and had a handful of opportunities to work closely with the band.

Billy was always hot or cold...sometimes he was nice and engaging, but more often than not he was a curmudgeon. Even when he's "nice" it's short-lived. Definitely proves the old adage correct about "never meet your idols."

Jimmy has always been cool as fuck. Makes you feel like you're the center of his attention when talking to you. Never had really in-depth convos with him but once asked him a random gear question and he lit up. Guy truly loves the craft of drumming and it shows.

James was always different person when he was around the band or solo. I'd run into him many times in NYC dive bars and he was much more loose and relaxed. Also during tour for his second solo record he would actively come into the crowd and mingle after his set and was a true pleasure to be around.

Never met D'arcy...started working in the biz after she was booted. I did get to spend some time with Paz, Matt and David with Zwan, and Paz was a sweetheart, Matt was a pompous prick and David seemed cut from the same cloth as James. The few interactions I had with Matt were always post-Zwan show and knowing how him and Billy feel about each other now, I kinda give him a pass.
How did Matt act like a pompous prick?

Old 01-18-2022, 03:28 AM   #11
Cool As Ice Cream
Just Hook it to My Veins!

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninsp View Post
Met Billy once
Was a raging asshole
no surprise there. you usually are.

Old 01-18-2022, 04:54 AM   #12
TheAlter
Apocalyptic Poster

Oh yeah, good ol' Matt

Old 01-18-2022, 07:15 AM   #13
Forgotten Child
Apocalyptic Poster

I've met Billy and James, and Jeff briefly

James was on tour for his second solo album and played a very small venue in London. He stopped the concert to talk and asked the crowd where we traveled from. Most of the people were from England. Someone said they traveled from Japan, and he was very impressed. My friend points to me and shouts "he came from Brazil". "Where!?" "Brazil!". "Oh sure I'll believe that". When the concert was over some people just decided to follow him backstage which made him come out to talk to everybody. We queued up as well. I got my Brazilian passport out "told you I was coming from Brazil" and he was like "wow". I was actually coming from Ireland tho lol. My friend goes by "Pumpkin", so when he asked our names it was funnily awkward. He was cool.

I've met Billy twice, once in London and once in Dublin. He didn't stop to talk to us in London as he had played 2 concerts that same day and was playing a concert in Paris the following morning. He says "sorry guys, I can't stop to talk today". Marilyn Manson was there and that same friend was with me, and pregnant. She asked him to be the baby's godfather and he said "you couldn't afford me" or something like that.

The second time I talked to Billy was after his concert in Dublin (cottilions). We waited outside. Doug came out to "brief" us first. He says Billy would come out to talk to was, that we could take pictures of him but he would not sign anything or take any pictures with anybody. When he came he was pretty cool. Answered a lot of questions and talked to everybody.

Old 01-18-2022, 08:25 AM   #14
brothahi4L
Apocalyptic Poster

In colmar he wore like 2 different colored tshirts, a too short hoody. A 3/4 trousers in green. Combined with violet/red striped stockings. And he wore fat big golden nike boots.... He was very thin at that time...... In austria we rarely see guys dressed like that, but if we do , we call em "freaks".

Nothing fitted, but i found it cool.... And bill had/has the guts to wear whatever he feels like. He doesnt give a shit about fashion

Old 01-18-2022, 09:21 AM   #15
Shallowed
Braindead

lol

Old 01-18-2022, 10:11 AM   #16
Spaceboy88
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by themadcaplaughs View Post
Basically couldn't be bothered to talk to anyone, and when he did he was barking orders around to the venue staff like a fucking diva. Truly had this attitude like he was the most important person in the room—some sort of indie God that was above all this shit—and wanted to be anywhere but there.

Again, knowing what I know now, I wouldn't be surprised if he was just over the whole Zwan experience and was counting down his days.

Old 01-18-2022, 10:20 AM   #17
TheAlter
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaceboy88 View Post
Basically couldn't be bothered to talk to anyone, and when he did he was barking orders around to the venue staff like a fucking diva. Truly had this attitude like he was the most important person in the room—some sort of indie God that was above all this shit—and wanted to be anywhere but there.

Again, knowing what I know now, I wouldn't be surprised if he was just over the whole Zwan experience and was counting down his days.
Looks like someone who orders $100 of lobster every day.

Old 01-18-2022, 12:17 PM   #18
Joey Goldberg
Minion of Satan

Old 01-18-2022, 02:07 PM   #19
topleybird
Janis Jopleybird

Question

Quote:
In colmar he wore like 2 different colored tshirts, a too short hoody. A 3/4 trousers in green. Combined with violet/red striped stockings. And he wore fat big golden nike boots.... He was very thin at that time......
Is this the man you saw?

Old 01-18-2022, 02:55 PM   #20
Fonzie
Dute of Seven Y's

Quote:
Originally Posted by topleybird View Post
Is this the man you saw?

You should NFT that glorious artwork.

Old 01-18-2022, 03:51 PM   #21
BlissedandGone2
Minion of Satan

Location: You don't play guitar hero if you are a guitar hero.

met them a bunch. one time i saw billy at ORD and i went to say hi as we've met and conversed enough I thought he might know me. he backed away and said he didn't shake hands because of germs. i've also seen him driving around chicago in what i think is an old lincoln continental or something, but not sure if he still has it.

separately met all of zwan and the rest of the band was way more chill than billy + jimmy. i asked for a photo with billy in that gathering and he said "don't make me punch you."

Old 01-18-2022, 03:57 PM   #22
BlissedandGone2
Minion of Satan

Location: You don't play guitar hero if you are a guitar hero.

actually this just reminded me. i chatted billy after one of his future embrace shows, which was after he had put out that ad about "wanting his band back" and all that. the two questions i asked were:

how do you power that wall of lights? (the main visual feature of the TFE tour was a giant wall of square lights that made large pixelated visuals behind the silhoutted band. was kinda a cool look.) he said it just plugged into a regular outlet and laughed about setting it up at home after the tour.

is james going to be back in the band?
this sent him into a rant about not wanting "the same old problems to come up" and "not being able to do that ever again" after which he ended the convo short.

Old 01-18-2022, 06:21 PM   #23
AveryLoren
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by themadcaplaughs View Post
Yeah I am curious to this as well. I have met him a few times and he was really, genuinely a nice, funny and smart dude. Seemed really humble to be in the music biz. This was all years removed from Zwan, though.

Edit: should have kept reading lol.

Last edited by AveryLoren : 01-18-2022 at 06:30 PM.

Old 01-18-2022, 06:34 PM   #24
AveryLoren
Apocalyptic Poster

I worked at the Cain’s Ballroom in Tulsa and got to meet James while he was with the band Tinted Windows back in 2009. It was basically like talking to a wall, absolutely no emotion. Later on, after the show there was catering from a local barbecue place called Billy Sims. He didn’t seem to enjoy the food.

Not a band member and I have mentioned this in greater detail on here before, but I met Linda Strawberry back in 2007 at a flophouse in LA.

I camped out in front of the Palladium Ballroom in Dallas on the Shamrocks tour and Billy and Jeff drove up in a covered golf car and Billy looked at the girl I was with, looked at me and had the most disgusted look on his face. That night at the show he literally spit on me.

Also, I grew up with the Hanson's and I actually played Taylor Hanson Pisces Iscariot on cassette in my grandmothers car when we were kids.

Last edited by AveryLoren : 01-18-2022 at 06:43 PM.

Old 01-18-2022, 07:09 PM   #25
topleybird
Janis Jopleybird

Question

Thank you for your service

Old 01-18-2022, 07:24 PM   #26
topleybird
Janis Jopleybird

Angry

Are we just going with random famous people now

My dad claims he went on a date with Peggy Fleming and I've never been 100% sure if he was pulling my leg; I believe it primarily because I had no idea who that was when he told me, and I feel like he could've gone for someone in my wheelhouse for maximum impact if he were fibbing, you know? I mean I was like six when this came up so it'd have to be Cyndi Lauper or Maria from Sesame Street, but, hell

I disbelieve it because Fleming was a total smokeshow when this would've happened, and way out of his league

I grew up with my dad and I actually played my dad Pisces Iscariot on cassette in my dad's car when I was a kid. He liked the drumming. So in a way—in a very real way—Peggy Fleming heard it too.

Old 01-18-2022, 08:01 PM   #27
DiscoJon
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:

My dad claims he went on a date with Peggy Fleming and I've never been 100% sure if he was pulling my leg; I believe it primarily because I had no idea who that was when he told me, and I feel like he could've gone for someone in my wheelhouse for maximum impact if he were fibbing, you know? I mean I was like six when this came up so it'd have to be Cyndi Lauper or Maria from Sesame Street, but, hell

I disbelieve it because Fleming was a total smokeshow when this would've happened, and way out of his league

I grew up with my dad and I actually played my dad Pisces Iscariot on cassette in my dad's car when I was a kid. He liked the drumming. So in a way—in a very real way—Peggy Fleming heard it too.
We all had to look up who the fuck Peggy Flemming was, you fucking moron.

Old 01-18-2022, 08:11 PM   #28
AveryLoren
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:

I'm guessing you're referring to me? I mentioned Billy, James and Jeff. What more do you want? I've been saying the same Hanson story on here for 20 years.

Old 01-18-2022, 08:48 PM   #29
trev
charm

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to topleybird again.

Old 01-18-2022, 10:27 PM   #30
Funbags
Apocalyptic Poster

Red face

Quote:
In austria we rarely see guys dressed like that, but if we do , we call em "freaks".
lol this sounds very European.

"If we see someone different, we naturally call them names"

Last edited by Funbags : 01-18-2022 at 10:33 PM.