Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Archives > General Chat Archive
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 04-21-2014, 07:56 PM   #61
Trotskilicious
Banned

Location: I believe in the transcendental qualities of friendship.

i wrote jesus walks i'm never going to hell

Old 04-21-2014, 07:58 PM   #62
redbreegull
Just Hook it to My Veins!

@Scotty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark 16.4-8
When [Mary Magdalene and Mary mother of James and Salome] looked up, they saw that the stone, which was very large, had already been rolled back. As they entered the tomb, they saw a young man, dressed in a white robe, sitting on the right side, and they were alarmed. But he said to them, "Do not be alarmed; you are looking for Jesus of Nazareth who was crucified. He has been raised; he is not here. Look, there is the place they laid him. But go, tell his disciples and Peter that he is going ahead of you to Galilee; there you will see him, just as he told you." So they went out and fled from the tomb, for terror and amazement had seized them; and they said nothing to anyone, for they were afraid.

THE END *Mark ends several other ways depending on what you are reading, but this is how the original text almost certainly ended
again, Mark was written before Christianity broke away from Judaism

edit: broke away in a widespread fashion, as I keep reiterating, early Christian belief is very complicated, very convoluted, and uniformity or consistency are not to be found.

Last edited by redbreegull : 04-21-2014 at 08:24 PM.

Old 04-21-2014, 07:59 PM   #63
pavementtune

Location: I'm a quitter. I come from a long line of quitters. It's amazing I'm here at all.

I thought Jesus was human until the Council of Nicaea voted that he should be regarded as divine. No?

Old 04-21-2014, 08:01 PM   #64
Trotskilicious
Banned

you guys are arguing about the council of nicaea now i am just amazed

Old 04-21-2014, 08:06 PM   #65
pavementtune

Location: I'm a quitter. I come from a long line of quitters. It's amazing I'm here at all.

Amazed, why?
I've simply forgotten most things I ever learned about Christianity, and didn't pay much attention in the first place.

Old 04-21-2014, 08:07 PM   #66
redbreegull

it was a point of contention amongst early Christians, there were a lot of different texts and theologies in circulation at the beginning (again, scotty is just wrong). Jesus as divine is an idea that way predates nicea though

Old 04-21-2014, 08:08 PM   #67
redbreegull

to even further complicate matters, Mark was possibly written by Romans in Syria or Antioch, not Jews (even though it is the earliest canonical gospel)

Old 04-21-2014, 08:09 PM   #68
Bread Regal
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbreegull View Post
you are incorrect about your "no bigger tent" point. First of all, Christianity began as many, many tiny little extremist cults, and the diversity of belief that existed in the first few decades after Jesus' death is striking.
so, honest question, is the concept of jesus being the savior, and not just a prophet, a common thread through all of these little factions?

Old 04-21-2014, 08:20 PM   #69
redbreegull

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bread Regal View Post
so, honest question, is the concept of jesus being the savior, and not just a prophet, a common thread through all of these little factions?
No. No one knows how he marketed himself while he was actually alive, but within a few decades of his death, there were already a lot of competing traditions about his message and who he was. One of these was that he was the Jewish Messiah, the foretold King of the Jews who will reunite all the Jews under one banner in the promised land. Others may have viewed Jesus as a cultish, mystery figure. Others may have viewed him as a reform hero and social provocateur, but more in a philosophical way. Not all of these conceptions would necessarily negate others either. I had a professor who told me that Mark's audience was very likely a mix of Jews and gentiles hanging out together.

the idea of Jesus as "the savior" or a divine figure though definitely came a little later. But of course by like the 2nd century there were big churches in Rome, Alexandria, Antioch, etc. and they were already mostly what we know today as "Christian," i.e. believed Jesus was the literal Son of God, both human and deity, savior of humankind whatever. and then in the 4th century Rome consolidates power, organizes the canon, and culls other strains of Christianity

Last edited by redbreegull : 04-21-2014 at 08:32 PM.

Old 04-21-2014, 08:37 PM   #70
redbreegull

If anyone is interested, Gnosticism is one of the most well-known, best recorded, and most completely understood "alternative" faiths that came from the Christian tradition.

Old 04-21-2014, 08:48 PM   #71
redbreegull

and now to blow your fucking minds, the JEWISH canon was not finalized until about 100 CE.

ok I'm done for tonight

Old 04-21-2014, 08:57 PM   #72
Trotskilicious
Banned

what is CE? Is that some dumb way to pretend like the way we number years doesn't have anything to do with jesus?

Old 04-21-2014, 08:59 PM   #73
redbreegull

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trotskilicious View Post
what is CE? Is that some dumb way to pretend like the way we number years doesn't have anything to do with jesus?
yes but it's been standard in academia for a long time now, I'm surprised you didn't learn that way

Old 04-21-2014, 08:59 PM   #74
Order 66
Socialphobic

Crimbus Everywhere

Old 04-21-2014, 09:00 PM   #75
slunken
Virgo

yea it was changed to BCE/CE

Old 04-21-2014, 09:00 PM   #76
slunken
Virgo

didn't learn that until college doe

Old 04-21-2014, 09:01 PM   #77
slunken
Virgo

but its still based on christ so i guess christ is common

Old 04-21-2014, 09:04 PM   #78
redbreegull

the alternative designations are actually hundreds of years old, they've just gained popularity in the last few decades.

CE and BCE are common (or christian) era and before common (or christian) era

so not necessarily pretending jesus isn't the basis for our year numbers, just taking out the part where we have to say we're living in the year of our lord 2014

Old 04-21-2014, 09:36 PM   #79
vixnix
Socialphobic

Location: we are champions, bathed in the heat of a thousand flame wars in the grim future of the internet there is only netphoria

Isn't there a newer custom where we say 1000 BP or something? Before Present time or something like that

Old 04-21-2014, 10:00 PM   #80
MyOneAndOnly
Shut the fuck up!

CE

common era

Old 04-21-2014, 10:36 PM   #81
redbreegull

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottytheoneand View Post
CE

common era
you really do not read threads do you

Old 04-22-2014, 01:30 AM   #82
Starla

Quote:
Originally Posted by slunken View Post
You and 21 others like this
Hope I didn't come off as a snob. :/ For me, I've wanted a feeling of connectedness or acceptance. I just haven't really found it yet. I might go to ceremonies, and feel okay but the reality is, I don't always feel like I belong, and I have trouble adhering to one way. Maybe that will change later in life.

Old 04-22-2014, 01:32 AM   #83
toase
Apocalyptic Poster

I used to be a church member, I can't return to church now that I am aware of all the bullshit behind the façade (my father used to be a priest).
I would if I could, I mean, that guy from Korn, that's I all need now, but I've already been there... *cries inconsolably*

Old 04-22-2014, 01:34 AM   #84
toase
Apocalyptic Poster

Have you tried Hare Krishna?
They serve free dinner after the service, but they are vegetarians....

Old 04-22-2014, 01:37 AM   #85
Starla

The most relaxed church I've ever been to was Unitarian, and that was in Kansas city. They basically kept to the teachings of Jesus, without fire, brimstone, and judgment ... which is nice if that's what you're looking for. I remember they meditated during service, which was okay too... but then they started talking about new agey stuff like healing with crystals and color therapy, which were things I'm not really into.

Old 04-22-2014, 04:01 AM   #86
Cool As Ice Cream

this church seemed quite chill to me: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bah%C3%A1%27%C3%AD_Faith
Quote:
Three core principles establish a basis for Bahá'í teachings and doctrine: the unity of God, that there is only one God who is the source of all creation; the unity of religion, that all major religions have the same spiritual source and come from the same God; and the unity of humanity, that all humans have been created equal, and that diversity of race and culture are seen as worthy of appreciation and acceptance.

Old 04-22-2014, 11:17 AM   #87
Trotskilicious
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbreegull View Post
yes but it's been standard in academia for a long time now, I'm surprised you didn't learn that way
I was being a smart ass because i ignored it

You cant pretend its not based on the theological traditions of one religion so why bother trying

Old 04-22-2014, 11:38 AM   #88
D.
Consume my pants.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cool As Ice Cream View Post
this church seemed quite chill to me: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bah%C3%A1%27%C3%AD_Faith
I had a co worker who was dating a Jewish girl who was just getting into this. That fact and the drive through information building they have in my neighborhood are the only thing j know about this.

Old 04-22-2014, 11:38 AM   #89
D.
Consume my pants.

I always think of Baja Blast Mt Dew when I see it though.

Old 04-22-2014, 12:02 PM   #90
Cool As Ice Cream

i don't know much about it either. but since they kind of include most other religions, a lot of religious people could feel at home there. it's set-up quite cleverly.
i didn't feel attracted personally, but that's probably because i don't believe in god.