Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > General Boards > General Chat Message Board
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 11-08-2021, 12:38 PM   #1
MyOneAndOnly
Shut the fuck up!

Default ITT Elon Musk is a cult leader

Quote:
Musk has inserted himself as a forefront spokesperson of human advancement. He is a libertarian hero, a savvy environmental advocate, pop-culture aficionado and STEM-lord wearing a suit of money. In many ways, Musk embodies the personification of the human will to live.

This image of a quirky science-messiah is completely intentional. Musk is aware of what he means to his fans and he cultivates their feelings. Musk has compared himself to Tony Stark, made direct references to memes, launched expensive publicity stunts and even smoked weed on a now legendary episode of Joe Rogan’s podcast.

Musk wants people to believe his myth. He wants people to like and idolize him; his business depends on it. As a venture capitalist, a great portion of investment is based on a promise of future financial security. Tesla wasn’t profitable until 2019, SpaceX operates on thin margins and his new Boring company is a money sink. All three rely on massive government subsidies to stay afloat. SpaceX and Tesla both face allegations of abusive work environments and substandard pay, while Musk’s own environmentally-conscious rhetoric is undercut by Tesla’s practice of selling zero-emissions credits to California automakers who fail to meet the state’s production requirements on manufacturing zero-emission vehicles.
https://studybreaks.com/thoughts/elon-musk-cult/

Old 11-08-2021, 01:36 PM   #2
Disco King
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyOneAndOnly View Post
Quote:
…while Musk’s own environmentally-conscious rhetoric is undercut by Tesla’s practice of selling zero-emissions credits to California automakers who fail to meet the state’s production requirements on manufacturing zero-emission vehicles.
I dislike Musk as much as anyone else, but isn't this how these systems are supposed to work?

You set a an emissions cap and force companies who want to pollute more to incur higher costs by buying the ability to do so from somebody else? That way, if they want to pollute, they have to at least internalize the negative externalities/social cost of doing so instead of being allowed to do it for free. It essentially acts as an emissions tax, while furthering incentivizing the cutting of emissions by allowing companies to make money on emitting less pollution than the next company.

Old 11-08-2021, 02:30 PM   #3
MyOneAndOnly
Shut the fuck up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disco King View Post
I dislike Musk as much as anyone else, but isn't this how these systems are supposed to work?

You set a an emissions cap and force companies who want to pollute more to incur higher costs by buying the ability to do so from somebody else? That way, if they want to pollute, they have to at least internalize the negative externalities/social cost of doing so instead of being allowed to do it for free. It essentially acts as an emissions tax, while furthering incentivizing the cutting of emissions by allowing companies to make money on emitting less pollution than the next company.

why are you complicating obvious chance to hate Elon Musk?

Old 11-08-2021, 03:06 PM   #4
ilikeplanets
Braindead

I hate anyone that spews Covid misinformation. I'm simple in that way, but unflinching.

Old 11-08-2021, 03:09 PM   #5
yo soy el mejor
Just Hook it to My Veins!

my big brudder works for spacex but he hardly talks about elon and i am not interested enough to ask. but he did mention seeing a "homeless kid" who gave him the evil-eye in elon's office and turned out be ol' grimes. she was probably offended by his naturally dark skin.

Old 11-08-2021, 03:24 PM   #6
Shallowed
Braindead

Lightbulb

Old 11-08-2021, 03:33 PM   #7
wHATcOLOR
THIS IS AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!

Location: || MY NAME IS KIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIID ROCK!!

why hate?

Old 11-08-2021, 04:40 PM   #8
reprise85
BOTTLEG ILLEGAL

Location: I'm faced with so many changes that I just might change my face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disco King View Post

it totally is, but are there some companies that don't use them OR sell them? no idea

Old 11-08-2021, 06:16 PM   #9
MyOneAndOnly
Shut the fuck up!

My whole life all I've done is create value for Billionaires

Old 11-08-2021, 07:24 PM   #10
ovary
Ownz

what a terrible way to conceptualize your existence

Old 11-08-2021, 07:27 PM   #11
ovary
Ownz

i duno about the rest of you but all my life all i've done is unfold the love that powers the universe

Old 11-08-2021, 07:29 PM   #12
ovary
Ownz

also the only thing worse than elon musk is the legions of rubes dumb and gullible enough to buy into his bullshit

Old 11-08-2021, 07:45 PM   #13
Shallowed
Braindead

don't get me started on the universe

Old 11-08-2021, 09:04 PM   #14
MyOneAndOnly
Shut the fuck up!

i don't buy in to any of his bullshit. I just like Teslas and rockets

Old 11-09-2021, 01:43 AM   #15
Shallowed
Braindead

we can have rockets and self-driving electric vehicles without real life simpsons characters

Old 11-09-2021, 04:17 AM   #16
Disco King
Minion of Satan

Hank Scorpio is funny, though.

I'd honestly like Musk if he were anything like Scorpio.

Old 11-09-2021, 04:35 AM   #17
vixnix
Socialphobic

Location: we are champions, bathed in the heat of a thousand flame wars in the grim future of the internet there is only netphoria

I wish I had bought more into Elon Musk’s bullshit a couple of years ago. I could have bought a Tesla with that money

Old 11-09-2021, 11:28 AM   #18
MyOneAndOnly
Shut the fuck up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vixnix View Post
I wish I had bought more into Elon Musk’s bullshit a couple of years ago. I could have bought a Tesla with that money
My stock picks for today

BYD - this will be the largest car company in the world by 2030... Will be all electric soon
Rivian - IPO this week... wait a couple of weeks to buy. They will be the next Tesla, at least in the USA

Old 11-09-2021, 01:27 PM   #19
topleybird
Janis Jopleybird

Location: Let me see you do the booty hop. And now make the booty stop. Now drop, and do the booty wop.
Unhappy

I wish I could afford a Tesla, because I would very much like my car to autopilot itself into a crowd of pedestrians and then ram into a "road closed" sign, instantly igniting the car in a fire that rescue crews will find incredibly difficult to put out, and, obviously, roasting me alive

Old 11-09-2021, 08:31 PM   #20
Shallowed
Braindead

oh i see, this thread was actually meant to hate the player but love the game

Old 11-10-2021, 07:22 AM   #21
vixnix
Socialphobic

Location: we are champions, bathed in the heat of a thousand flame wars in the grim future of the internet there is only netphoria

Quote:
My stock picks for today

BYD - this will be the largest car company in the world by 2030... Will be all electric soon
Rivian - IPO this week... wait a couple of weeks to buy. They will be the next Tesla, at least in the USA
Are you buying either of these?? Thanks for the tip

Old 11-10-2021, 12:47 PM   #22
Joey Goldberg
Minion of Satan

who cares about musky man i lost 2 dollars to a fucking parking meter last night and i'm STEAMED

not even 'cause of the money, it's the god damn principal, what am i funding the mayor's daughter's college education?

FUCK YOU DICK CHENEY

Old 11-10-2021, 12:48 PM   #23
Joey Goldberg
Minion of Satan

Old 11-10-2021, 01:04 PM   #24
reprise85
BOTTLEG ILLEGAL

Location: I'm faced with so many changes that I just might change my face

Quote:
My stock picks for today

BYDDY, right? imma buy some

Old 11-10-2021, 02:31 PM   #25
MyOneAndOnly
Shut the fuck up!

yes. it's the biggest Chinese car company. Exports globally. And Tesla buys some of its batteries from them

Old 11-10-2021, 02:32 PM   #26
MyOneAndOnly
Shut the fuck up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vixnix View Post
Are you buying either of these?? Thanks for the tip
I own some BYD shares. I am waiting on Rivian. They went public today and are over priced. Will likely drop in the next couple weeks.

Old 11-10-2021, 02:45 PM   #27
MyOneAndOnly
Shut the fuck up!

Rivian opened today at over $100k per share. The company is currently valued at close to $100 billion. That's insane. They were founded in 2009 and have only last month started to ship vehicles to customers.

One thing helping them is the increase in the Democrats EV proposal, currently part of Biden's Build Back Better program. Dems raised the price cap on eligible SUVs and Trucks to vehicles priced up to $80k. The Rivian SUV base price is $70k, which up till now was too high to get the $7500-$12000 federal credit.

I think this helped their stock today

Old 11-11-2021, 04:28 PM   #28
ovary
Ownz

"The prospectus of Rivian, a California-based startup that makes electric pick-up trucks, is a curious thing. Rather than detailing any profits or revenues from the first half of 2021, it shows losses nearing $1bn. Yet the firm, which started delivering its vehicles in September, sought a valuation of nearly $70bn when it floated in New York on November 10th. That is well above the market capitalisation of Honda, a Japanese car company, and just shy of Ford’s, an American carmaker (although it is less than one-tenth of the stockmarket value of Tesla, Elon Musk’s electric-car company). Together Honda and Ford sell millions of vehicles a year. Rivian plans to dispatch around 1,000 by the end of 2021."

https://www.economist.com/graphic-de...id-huge-losses

Old 11-11-2021, 07:18 PM   #29
MyOneAndOnly
Shut the fuck up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovary View Post
"The prospectus of Rivian, a California-based startup that makes electric pick-up trucks, is a curious thing. Rather than detailing any profits or revenues from the first half of 2021, it shows losses nearing $1bn. Yet the firm, which started delivering its vehicles in September, sought a valuation of nearly $70bn when it floated in New York on November 10th. That is well above the market capitalisation of Honda, a Japanese car company, and just shy of Ford’s, an American carmaker (although it is less than one-tenth of the stockmarket value of Tesla, Elon Musk’s electric-car company). Together Honda and Ford sell millions of vehicles a year. Rivian plans to dispatch around 1,000 by the end of 2021."

https://www.economist.com/graphic-de...id-huge-losses
Stock valuation isn't based on sales now. It is based on potential growth of the stock. It's a gamble that it will grow. Rivian has the potential to grow and gain market share. While Honda and Ford are only going to continue losing share. Especially Honda, which has fought against building electric cars. Ford can't even fill it's backlog of orders for the one electric car it offers. Try ordering a Mach E from a dealer. They'll add 10-20k to the MSRP. Ford is fucked... it can't control it's dealer network, it can't get chips to build ICE vehicles. They will never catch up to Tesla. By 2025 Tesla will be the number one car maker on Earth in revenue, and perhaps in units sold. If it isn't number one by then it will be BYD that is. They have a massive home market, and about a third of the cars they are currently selling are Electric.

i'm not necessarily defending Rivian. But the same things being said about them were said about Tesla over a decade ago. They spent years not actually selling anything. They aren't profitable, etc etc. And of all the US EV start-ups Rivian has the most going for it. Plus, they have a huge backlog of orders for their 80k dollar truck and massive Amazon order for it's Vans

Last edited by MyOneAndOnly : 11-11-2021 at 07:24 PM.

Old 11-11-2021, 07:48 PM   #30
ovary
Ownz

Quote:
By 2025 Tesla will be the number one car maker on Earth in revenue, and perhaps in units sold.
On Veteran's Day 2025 I will bump this thread. I swear to it.