Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > General Boards > General Chat Message Board
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 04-28-2022, 11:25 PM   #1
Gooch
Apocalyptic Poster

Default Would YOU send the Ukraine 33 billion?!??!

Wtf!? I mean yeah it’s awful what’s going on to the poor people in Ukraine, but the people of the US (and plenty of other worthy people and causes) really could use that money right now, (as opposed to buying missiles and bullets and padding the pockets of war mongers) PLUS Putin specifically said if any one gets in the way or supports Ukraine’s fight they will be subjected to horrors beyond comprehension. So the US decided to send the Ukraine billions of dollars and unlimited weapons and tanks? I don’t see the logic in this. But no ones talking about this. Why??!? Am I seeing things wrong? Did the US just sign their death warrant??!? Everyone’s cool with this?!?

Old 04-28-2022, 11:40 PM   #2
reprise85
BOTTLEG ILLEGAL

Location: I'm faced with so many changes that I just might change my face

I have no problem with sending them as much money as they need. I am glad we are not bombing anyone or getting involved otherwise. Obviously if it's inevitable maybe it's better to get involved earlier to avoid a Hitler-like appeasement scenario, but I'm not convinced that is what is going on.

Obviously I don't know shit about shit but money at that scale is bullshit, how much 'in debt' are we? So we'll add more to a debt we will never pay and no one actually expects us to pay. Who gives a fuck.

Old 04-29-2022, 11:23 AM   #3
topleybird
Janis Jopleybird

Location: Let me see you do the booty hop. And now make the booty stop. Now drop, and do the booty wop.
Thumbs down

Money, especially at this scale, is fake, I agree. We've been sending money and lethal aid since the start of this shit, and unless Putin is too busy to launch a few nukes our way, I imagine we're in the clear in terms of the Extinction Level Event Busta warned us about so many years ago.

This "others could really use the money" thing... this money was not sitting somewhere in a pile marked "solve the homeless crisis" or something. It's made up. You notice how Congress "doesn't have the money" to do much in terms of solving problems in the country, but when it's time to fund the military they end up like doubling what the actual armed forces even asked for, which is already a fucking absurd amount? They can solve any problem they want to. They don't want to.

Old 04-29-2022, 11:29 AM   #4
yo soy el mejor
Just Hook it to My Veins!

i (don't) love how people are sympathetic toward refugees when they look like a ukranian person looks. probs so many honkies in the u.s flippin' out that white people exist over there, too. like, oh shit! look at their skin! they don't deserve to be treated like that!

meanwhile, look at the mexican border and the narrative surrounding people escaping the country that the US has totally fucked. plus, russia is doing the same thing to ukraine that the US did to afghanistan which george bush lied about to justify the same way putin and his administration are doing to russian citizens. f the world!

my answer is no.

Old 04-29-2022, 11:37 AM   #5
topleybird
Janis Jopleybird

Location: Let me see you do the booty hop. And now make the booty stop. Now drop, and do the booty wop.
Unhappy

The "refugees who look like us" thing is fuckin' dismal, I agree; it's all over Europe, too, not just here

Re: the money being better used elsewhere: Here's an article on poverty in the States last year. Look at this:

Quote:
The researchers also looked closely at the expanded child tax credit, put in place by Congress’ March 2021 American Rescue Plan. When the expanded credit went into effect in July, it raised benefits from $2,000 to $3,600 for children under 6 and to $3,000 for children ages 6 to 17. It reached families that didn’t earn enough income to owe taxes, and it was paid in monthly installments from July to December 2021, instead of all at once in 2022.

The Columbia researchers found that measure alone kept roughly 3.5 million children out of poverty in each month for which data is available.
That ended in December, and those 3.5 million kids went right back into poverty. We could have kept that going forever. They just didn't want to.

Old 04-29-2022, 01:20 PM   #6
reprise85
BOTTLEG ILLEGAL

Quote:
Originally Posted by yo soy el mejor View Post
i (don't) love how people are sympathetic toward refugees when they look like a ukranian person looks. probs so many honkies in the u.s flippin' out that white people exist over there, too. like, oh shit! look at their skin! they don't deserve to be treated like that!

meanwhile, look at the mexican border and the narrative surrounding people escaping the country that the US has totally fucked.
Collectively people in the USA care about the Ukrainians more (which is absolutely wrong), I agree. But it's not as if it's a choice between Mexicans and Ukrainians. If it was I'd absolutely feel differently about sending the money to Ukraine.

Quote:
plus, russia is doing the same thing to ukraine that the US did to afghanistan which george bush lied about to justify the same way putin and his administration are doing to russian citizens. f the world!
I'm not sure how comparable these two things are (not saying they aren't, truly don't know) but what Bush did is widely condemned now. Is anyone defending it?

Old 04-29-2022, 01:20 PM   #7
reprise85
BOTTLEG ILLEGAL

Quote:
Originally Posted by topleybird View Post
The "refugees who look like us" thing is fuckin' dismal, I agree; it's all over Europe, too, not just here

Re: the money being better used elsewhere: Here's an article on poverty in the States last year. Look at this:

That ended in December, and those 3.5 million kids went right back into poverty. We could have kept that going forever. They just didn't want to.
Honestly think this is criminal.

Old 04-29-2022, 01:43 PM   #8
yo soy el mejor

Quote:
Originally Posted by reprise85 View Post
Collectively people in the USA care about the Ukrainians more (which is absolutely wrong), I agree. But it's not as if it's a choice between Mexicans and Ukrainians. If it was I'd absolutely feel differently about sending the money to Ukraine.
i didn't even imply there is a choice (choice about what?) between the two. i was noting the difference in collective attitude and narrative surrounding immigrants based on their skin color.

Old 04-29-2022, 01:50 PM   #9
yo soy el mejor

Quote:
Originally Posted by reprise85 View Post

I'm not sure how comparable these two things are (not saying they aren't, truly don't know) but what Bush did is widely condemned now. Is anyone defending it?
they are. and most people do not defend it in retrospect but did at the time--very much so. war and colonization is cool when its our country inflicting it on others for the right reasons, but such an atrocity when others do the same and especially when blonde hair and blue-eyed people get hurt.

Old 04-29-2022, 01:54 PM   #10
yo soy el mejor

the government should've sent 33 billion smackers to Mexico or the people of Afghanistan, but it gets sent to Ukraine? ugh, what a performative and expensive ass joke!

enjoy the show, folks. at least when war comes knocking on our door, it will be a good excuse to call off work.

Old 04-29-2022, 04:10 PM   #11
MyOneAndOnly
Shut the fuck up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gooch View Post
Wtf!? I mean yeah it’s awful what’s going on to the poor people in Ukraine, but the people of the US (and plenty of other worthy people and causes) really could use that money right now, (as opposed to buying missiles and bullets and padding the pockets of war mongers) PLUS Putin specifically said if any one gets in the way or supports Ukraine’s fight they will be subjected to horrors beyond comprehension. So the US decided to send the Ukraine billions of dollars and unlimited weapons and tanks? I don’t see the logic in this. But no ones talking about this. Why??!? Am I seeing things wrong? Did the US just sign their death warrant??!? Everyone’s cool with this?!?
If you think that $33billion will go to "the people" if it doesn't go to Ukraine, I got a MAGA hat to sell you. LOL

This is akin to people in the 1930s complaining about FDR's obsession with Poland. "Who cares if Germany wants their land back? America first! We can't afford another war."

FDR's support for England after the start of Hitler's assault on the UK was not popularly supported in the United STates. Prior to Pearl Harbor only 35% of Americans supported helping the English. Even after Hitler had bombed London to pieces and Japan had invaded most of Asia, two thirds of Americans thought it was a waste American time and money to get involved.

Thank god FDR didn't listen to them. Had he it's likely every last Jew in Europe would have died, and every Nation in Europe today would be under Fascist rule

Old 04-29-2022, 05:02 PM   #12
reprise85
BOTTLEG ILLEGAL

Quote:
i didn't even imply there is a choice (choice about what?) between the two. i was noting the difference in collective attitude and narrative surrounding immigrants based on their skin color.
my point was that while it's true that it's clearly wrong that white people are favored in everything vs. other races (including getting help during war/violence in other countries), that's not actually a good reason to not help people being slaughtered who are white.

Old 04-29-2022, 05:03 PM   #13
reprise85
BOTTLEG ILLEGAL

Quote:
the government should've sent 33 billion smackers to Mexico or the people of Afghanistan, but it gets sent to Ukraine? ugh, what a performative and expensive ass joke!

enjoy the show, folks. at least when war comes knocking on our door, it will be a good excuse to call off work.
clearly money should be going to Mexico and/or Afghanistan, but that doesn't mean it's performative to send money to people from another country who will use it to defend themselves

Old 04-29-2022, 05:05 PM   #14
yo soy el mejor

make that 33 billion and twenty dollars!

Old 04-29-2022, 05:26 PM   #15
slunken
Virgo

a real geopolitical thought chamber we have here

Old 04-30-2022, 07:04 PM   #16
Toast
Apocalyptic Poster

I wouldn't send that shitty corrupt country a single penny.

Old 05-01-2022, 02:42 AM   #17
ilikeplanets
Braindead

I'm just generally against violence, war, and death but I'm not sure how to meaningfully assist that cause at this point

Old 05-01-2022, 07:15 AM   #18
smashingjj
real estate cowboy

I'll send some rubles!

Old 05-01-2022, 07:35 PM   #19
ovary
Ownz

cash grab by the military industry. just like covid was for the medical/pharma industries. federal government exists to fund/support corporations. ce la vie

Old 05-02-2022, 10:30 AM   #20
Cool As Ice Cream

CE LA VIE
WHALLAH
ROCKSLIDE

Old 05-02-2022, 10:56 AM   #21
smashingjj
real estate cowboy

gazpacho police

Old 05-02-2022, 01:06 PM   #22
Cool As Ice Cream

SCAN ARTIST

Old 05-02-2022, 03:13 PM   #23
smashingjj
real estate cowboy

commander and chief

Old 05-03-2022, 03:42 PM   #24
MyOneAndOnly
Shut the fuck up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by smashingjj View Post
commander and chef
fixed

Old 05-03-2022, 05:35 PM   #25
Shallowed
Braindead

shit's fucked

Old 05-03-2022, 10:56 PM   #26
slunken
Virgo

what if we put on a talent show?

Old 05-03-2022, 10:57 PM   #27
slunken
Virgo

to raise money

Old 05-03-2022, 11:11 PM   #28
MyOneAndOnly
Shut the fuck up!

Remember when Bush was president and he told Americans to keep shopping at the Mall and spending money while he invaded two countries for oil.

Old 05-19-2022, 09:52 AM   #29
Baffler_Meal
Mothmonsterman

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyOneAndOnly View Post
Remember when Bush was president and he told Americans to keep shopping at the Mall and spending money while he invaded two countries for oil.
Speaking of Ukraine, Iraq, and Bush...

https://twitter.com/sahilkapur/statu...92111195226114

Old 05-19-2022, 01:27 PM   #30
MyOneAndOnly
Shut the fuck up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baffler_Meal View Post
Speaking of Ukraine, Iraq, and Bush...

https://twitter.com/sahilkapur/statu...92111195226114
LOL

Funny how his conscience keeps fucking up his speeches