Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Archives > Music Board Archive
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 10-10-2007, 06:09 PM   #181
BlissedandGone2
Minion of Satan

Location: You don't play guitar hero if you are a guitar hero.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shapan
the new modest mouse record was pretty disappointing

no. because they always sucked.

Old 10-10-2007, 06:12 PM   #182
InfinityNow
Pledge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shapan
i like the album and all but wow this is wrong
I don't know - I'm not saying they're note for note written like jazz pieces, nor so they all have the awesome blues/jazz brass that Life In A Glass House has - but I think most of the tunes on the album do feel a lot like that.

Old 10-10-2007, 06:19 PM   #183
davin
Physiopathic Paralysis

From wired magazine's website:

Radiohead Hides Several Pots of Gold 'In Rainbows'

By Eliot Van Buskirk October 10, 2007 | 12:28:14 PMCategories: MP3s and Music Reviews

With all the attention Radiohead's new In Rainbows album (released digitally today) has received due to its unique sales plan, it's possible to forget that this is an album with actual songs on it, rather than a way to turn the music industry on its ear. But it is, in fact, an album, and that album has a sound.

Fans expecting a sonic revolution on the magnitude of Kid A are likely to be disappointed, In Rainbows representing an expansion of earlier Radiohead ideas rather than a departure from them. Likewise, anyone looking for the dramatic anthems from the band's earlier albums will prefer to keep listening to those. But the more I listen to In Rainbows, the more I notice the sort of subtle touches, sonic variety and chordal development that could make the album a so-called "grower" with Radiohead fans. It simply gets better with each listen.

Making your way through In Rainbows, you understand why Radiohead refuses to release their albums as individual songs on iTunes and other digital outlets: the songs flow into each other with a sense of purpose, and sound like they're meant to be heard in a row. In general, the trend throughout the album is from fast to slow tempos, but, of course, the overall progression is a lot more complex than that.

The album kicks off with Thom Yorke declaring, "How come I end up where I started, how come I end up where I went wrong" on top of a stomping beat that feels like an IDM-type deconstruction of the sparse, cheerleader style pioneered by Gwen Stefani in "Holla Back Girl," but soon the guitar and bass kick in to envelope the listener in a rapidly-expanding layer of Radiohead lushness.

Then it's time for the live favorite "Bodysnatchers," a whirling dervish of a track that rouses on the level of Kid A's "National Anthem." After these two driving tracks, In Rainbows wends its way into slower, more haunting territory with "Nude," a waltz with velvety bass and string swells that sounds like it would be perfect accompaniment for slow space footage a la 2001: Space Odyssey. The ambitious, beautiful "Weird Fishes/Arpeggi" expands a jittery acoustic guitar riff into a glittering crescendo that resolves into the underwater aesthetic hinted at by its title, ultimately ensnaring the listener in a whirlpool.

"All I Need," a nicely disorienting track, sounds somewhat like Thom Yorke fronting The Boards of Canada, while "Faust Arp" could be an answer to The Beatles' "Blackbird." Then the album takes a turn for the experimental, with the wide, watery drum sounds of "Reckoner" which adds Fender Rhodes and more string swells, and *******s a few suprising/satisfying major chords.

Old 10-10-2007, 06:27 PM   #184
InfinityNow
Pledge

Haha - bloody digital nonsense!!

I've been perplexed. Even though I've listened to the album 5 times today - I could swear there was something missing. Bodysnatchers!! rather Track 2!!

Ha - Somehow I missed it when I dragged the files from the folder I downloaded over to iTunes. So my second impression of this digital download thing is a little bit sour. Although, I'm glad I found this out before the day was over. And yes - I am extremely embarrassed, but oh well.

Old 10-10-2007, 06:28 PM   #185
BumbleBeeMouth
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by davin
From wired magazine's website:

The album kicks off with Thom Yorke declaring, "How come I end up where I started, how come I end up where I went wrong" on top of a stomping beat that feels like an IDM-type deconstruction of the sparse, cheerleader style pioneered by Gwen Stefani in "Holla Back Girl,"
What.... the fuck?

haha pioneered?!!!!?

Old 10-10-2007, 06:28 PM   #186
monkeyfritters
Minion of Satan

reckoner is glorious. i love it so much. its the supernaut beat but now with radiohead!

Old 10-10-2007, 06:28 PM   #187
BlissedandGone2
Minion of Satan

Location: You don't play guitar hero if you are a guitar hero.

i hate that. theyve been doing that since the 50s.

Old 10-10-2007, 06:41 PM   #188
TheMilstead
Minion of Satan

Oh, dear God. This album has been owning me all day long. I can't stop listening to it. Definitely a step up from Hail to the Thief.

Bodysnatchers, Nude, and Reckoner are all awesome.

Old 10-10-2007, 06:57 PM   #189
redbull
Immortal

GOD DAMN Arpeggi is awesome!

Old 10-10-2007, 06:59 PM   #190
sans anatomy
Ownz

it is definitely way better than httt

httt has good songs but it isnt really cohesive

Old 10-10-2007, 06:59 PM   #191
Tchocky
Minion of Satan

This album smacks of overproduction. They're trying too hard to make their music sound weird. If they're gonna make rock music, then make rock music dammit! If they're gonna make electronica, then make electronica.

That said, I did enjoy it. They went in a direction I didn't expect, and it made for an interesting album. 15 Step is okay. Bodysnatchers needed more guitars and less effects. The original version of Nude is better than this version. Weird Fishes and All I Need were solid. Faust Arp was meh. Reckoner was nice. House of Cards was pleasant but a bit dull. Jigsaw was probably my favorite track on the album. As for Videotape, they should have just tracked Thom playing it solo on the piano on that In The Basement show. I don't like the version they made for the album, which sucks considering it was the track I was most excited to listen to.

8.5 out of 10. Better than Hail To The Theif, but not on part with their best work.

Old 10-10-2007, 07:00 PM   #192
relaxor!
Apocalyptic Poster

This album is great. It's strange to be so much older than I was when I was really into Radiohead, hearing this. It's essentially the Radiohead album for old dudes.
It's instantly accessible, catchy, there doesn't seem to be some overarcing concept to the album. It's just short, great, and perfect. I mean, nobody will call it the best Radiohead album in a few weeks, but it will be in it's own league, so to speak.
It's not going to be counted in The Bends/OKC/Kid A/Amnesiac/Hail to the Thief chronology because it's too easy in a way. Easier even than The Bends. It's an extremely mature, no bullshit, regular album by the best rock band out there. If this is their last, that's fine, if they take another four years to crank out a perfect, great little album, awesome. It's just weird to be getting older with Radiohead. My priorities aren't in making grandiose difficult concept albums, and that's great for me. But in a sense I wouldn't feel sad if they did; it would make me feel more youthful.

Old 10-10-2007, 07:02 PM   #193
Andy /

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tchocky
This album smacks of overproduction. They're trying too hard to make their music sound weird. If they're gonna make rock music, then make rock music dammit! If they're gonna make electronica, then make electronica.

That said, I did enjoy it. They went in a direction I didn't expect, and it made for an interesting album. 15 Step is okay. Bodysnatchers needed more guitars and less effects. The original version of Nude is better than this version. Weird Fishes and All I Need were solid. Faust Arp was meh. Reckoner was nice. House of Cards was pleasant but a bit dull. Jigsaw was probably my favorite track on the album. As for Videotape, they should have just tracked Thom playing it solo on the piano on that In The Basement show. I don't like the version they made for the album, which sucks considering it was the track I was most excited to listen to.

8.5 out of 10. Better than Hail To The Theif, but not on part with their best work.

"Solid". "Nice". "Pleasant (but dull)". "Positive" comments, yes, but you bitch more than you praise and it's still an 8.5 to you? Come on.

Old 10-10-2007, 07:02 PM   #194
Nate the Grate
Minion of Satan

It has a lot in common with the new Wilco album, methinks...

Old 10-10-2007, 07:03 PM   #195
Banana
Banned

I'm really liking the new album, I'm just very disapointed with the studio version of Videotape. Also Nude does nothing for me.

Old 10-10-2007, 07:06 PM   #196
Tchocky
Minion of Satan

It sounds like another Thom Yorke solo album. Honestly.

Old 10-10-2007, 07:09 PM   #197
sans anatomy
Ownz

Quote:
The original version of Nude is better than this version.

the live bootleg version, or is there a demo out there floating around

Old 10-10-2007, 07:13 PM   #198
redbull
Immortal

WHAT THE FUCK HAPPENED TO RECKONER

Old 10-10-2007, 07:16 PM   #199
monkeyfritters
Minion of Satan

Quote:
It sounds like another Thom Yorke solo album. Honestly.
yeah... that's the worst part. this is what the eraser shouldve been but it really doesn't sound like the next radiohead album.

Old 10-10-2007, 07:17 PM   #200
monkeyfritters
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbull
WHAT THE FUCK HAPPENED TO RECKONER
it sounds nothing as it did

Old 10-10-2007, 07:17 PM   #201
redbull
Immortal

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyfritters
yeah... that's the worst part. this is what the eraser shouldve been but it really doesn't sound like the next radiohead album.
currently on house of cards (first listen) and I agree

Old 10-10-2007, 07:23 PM   #202
Tchocky
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndySlash
"Solid". "Nice". "Pleasant (but dull)". "Positive" comments, yes, but you bitch more than you praise and it's still an 8.5 to you? Come on.
What good is on the album is VERY good. I can't deny that. And I didn't bitch more than I praised it. I said that it was overproduced (a fair criticism) and I was disappointed with Videotape and Nude and irritated with Bodysnatchers (just 'cause it rocks doesn't mean it's good folks). I basically liked the rest of the album. What more do you want, for me to gush about how amazing I thought the end of All I Need was or spooge more about Jigsaw? Good grief.

Old 10-10-2007, 07:24 PM   #203
wangcomputers
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Art is often about experimentation, blurring the lines and being free from conformity or being boxed in. Overproduction is a valid criticism, but criticizing them for 'trying too hard to make their music sound weird' is stupid. That's one of their main selling points; if you prefer bands that don't try to push the envelope then radiohead isn't for you. Stick to zeitgeist.

Old 10-10-2007, 07:25 PM   #204
monkeyfritters
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbull
currently on house of cards (first listen) and I agree
god i hate house of cards. it sounds like it should be on the lion king sound track.

other than that i think all the tracks are strong if not great. reckoner, all i need, bodysnatchers and videotape especially.

Old 10-10-2007, 07:27 PM   #205
monkeyfritters
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by wangcomputers
Art is often about experimentation, blurring the lines and being free from conformity or being boxed in. Overproduction is a valid criticism, but criticizing them for 'trying too hard to make their music sound weird' is stupid. That's one of their main selling points; if you prefer bands that don't try to push the envelope then radiohead isn't for you. Stick to zeitgeist.
i think what he was saying was that the sound of this album didnt come from genuine experimentation. it was a straightforward album that they dressed up to sound like "radiohead."

Old 10-10-2007, 07:33 PM   #206
Tchocky
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by wangcomputers
There's a difference between interesting experimentation and sounding weird for the sake of sounding weird. In Rainbows isn't pushing many envelopes...it's mostly Nigel adding too much production. In contrast, I loved Kid A.

Old 10-10-2007, 07:34 PM   #207
Tchocky
Minion of Satan

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyfritters
i think what he was saying was that the sound of this album didnt come from genuine experimentation. it was a straightforward album that they dressed up to sound like "radiohead."
Gold star for fritters.

Old 10-10-2007, 07:39 PM   #208
Tchocky
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by sans anatomy
the live bootleg version, or is there a demo out there floating around
The OK Computer live era version. I liked the organ and the fact that there were verses at the end as opposed to a minute of Yorke's falsetto (which there seemed to be a lot of on this album).

Old 10-10-2007, 07:44 PM   #209
waltermcphilp
Socialphobic

care to point me in the direction to some of these live boots of these songs so i can compare?

Old 10-10-2007, 07:45 PM   #210
Andy /

Quote:
What more do you want, for me to gush about how amazing I thought the end of All I Need was or spooge more about Jigsaw?
I want to know why you gave it an 8.5 because your review (and the subsequent responses) makes it sound like it's a middle of the road record, if that. If you're going to give something an 8.5 out of 10, there should be a reason, no? You provide little reason for it to be marked so high. I want to know why it's an 8.5 record, that's all. If it means stating how "amazing I thought the end of All I Need was" and other things you fail to outline to support your score, then so be it.

But no, you give an album an 8.5 and "praise" it with a couple half-compliments and several criticisms. DOES NOT COMPUTE.