Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Archives > Pumpkins Archive
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 10-08-2008, 03:04 PM   #691
xezton
Ownz

Oh I've been gone for like months. I never thought I would ...ugh... miss...

But I've been out of the loop and I'm hearing about this G.L.O.W. song. Just listened to it here and I have to say this song is great.

Old 10-08-2008, 03:10 PM   #692
avsfan7733
Apocalyptic Poster

glow debuted at 36 on the alt rock charts and has reached 1.76 million listeners since debuting.

http://www.radioandrecords.com/Forma.../Alt_Chart.asp

not THAT bad.

Old 10-08-2008, 03:14 PM   #693
Northern_Hazel
Pledge

That's 1.76 million people who now hate the pumpkins for there move to mediocrity.

Old 10-08-2008, 03:18 PM   #694
avsfan7733
Apocalyptic Poster

according to R and R, only 24 songs were heard by more people than GLOW on the alt rock formats

Talk trash all you want. The song is being played quite a bit and people seem to be enjoying it.

Old 10-08-2008, 03:27 PM   #695
BlissedandGone2
Minion of Satan

Location: You don't play guitar hero if you are a guitar hero.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sigma View Post
Wow, after hearing a decent quality version, this song is actually really pretty awesome. It's definitely much closer to that great classic pumpkins guitar sound.
Quote:
Originally Posted by avsfan7733 View Post
glow debuted at 36 on the alt rock charts and has reached 1.76 million listeners since debuting.

http://www.radioandrecords.com/Forma.../Alt_Chart.asp

not THAT bad.
Quote:
Originally Posted by avsfan7733 View Post
according to R and R, only 24 songs were heard by more people than GLOW on the alt rock formats

Talk trash all you want. The song is being played quite a bit and people seem to be enjoying it.
people need to stop kidding themselves. is it even a good thing it would play semi-well on alternative rock stations? are there any respectable alternative rock stations in existence? alternative rock is horrible. if the average listener seems to like glow and the average listener also enjoys 3 doors down and Puddle of Mud, i see this as a failure. the song also is not really worth comparing to "classic" pumpkins either. its a song for a video game and it has bad lyrics and bad vocals.

dont get me wrong, billy still has it in him to write great songs, and i think the new REAL music he starts putting out will be exceptional and different. this song is weak.

Old 10-08-2008, 03:58 PM   #696
avsfan7733
Apocalyptic Poster

its been discussed to death.. but I dont really think the point in glow was to be some harmonic/lyrical masterpiece.. it was a promotional tool for the band to be put into a video game to reach a different demographic than say the netphorian age range/social pool.

any plays that this song receives on any radio station can only help the band. You ever hear anybody say that any press is good press?? Its true. Just because you're too cool for mainstream radio doesn't mean that 7.87 million other people aren't listening to it.

People aren't gonna listen to it and say "wow that song sucks.. now, by default, I hate every song I've ever heard or will ever hear by the smashing pumpkins." The pumpkins have an established fan base.. they can't really lose. If anything, this song is going to make the new audiences it is reaching towards more interested in the catalog/brand.

Old 10-08-2008, 04:42 PM   #697
Northern_Hazel
Pledge

One thing that I mentioned before, is that if I had heard this song on the radio, I would not be interested in finding out more about the band behind it. However, since its getting quite a lot of airplay, I can assume that the audience it's reaching is a pretty shitty one. It might have a buzz, but it's not a good one.

Old 10-08-2008, 04:44 PM   #698
BlissedandGone2
Minion of Satan

Location: You don't play guitar hero if you are a guitar hero.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern_Hazel View Post
One thing that I mentioned before, is that if I had heard this song on the radio, I would not be interested in finding out more about the band behind it. However, since its getting quite a lot of airplay, I can assume that the audience it's reaching is a pretty shitty one. It might have a buzz, but it's not a good one.
+

Old 10-08-2008, 06:06 PM   #699
Shallowed
Braindead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern_Hazel View Post
That's 1.76 million people who now hate the pumpkins for there move to mediocrity.
Man, this stuff is gold

Old 10-09-2008, 05:54 AM   #700
jczeroman

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewface View Post
Danke!