pale_princess
spanish harlem mona lisa

Default who the fuck is james iha

it's his 40th bday anyway.

Old 03-26-2008, 11:44 AM   #2
MonteLDS
*sigh*

holy crap it is the 26th!

Happy Birthday to the last real Smashing Pumpkin!

Old 03-26-2008, 11:45 AM   #3
tcm
Braindead

Thumbs up

yo james. you are a fucking old man.

Old 03-26-2008, 11:47 AM   #4
T&T
Socialphobic

when is jimmy gonna be 50?

Old 03-26-2008, 11:48 AM   #5
MonteLDS
*sigh*

Quote:
Originally Posted by T&T View Post
when is jimmy gonna be 50?
i think in about 33 days

Old 03-26-2008, 11:59 AM   #6
skipgo
Minion of Satan

Old 03-26-2008, 12:06 PM   #7
mistle
bonnie stars

JAMES IHA IS THE BEST!!!

Old 03-26-2008, 12:39 PM   #8
RenewRevive
Minion of Satan

hey james, time to man up and rejoin the band ya lazy fuck.

best wishes!

Old 03-26-2008, 12:59 PM   #9
pale_princess
spanish harlem mona lisa

he's better off without bill.

i requested be strong now on my radio we listen to at work but she played ava adore instead and gave him a shout out. bittersweet!

Old 03-26-2008, 03:04 PM   #10
Skradgee
Boardcaster

James Iha
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Background information
Born March 26, 1968 (1968-03-26) (age 40)
Chicago, Illinois, U.S.
Genre(s) Indie Rock
Occupation(s) Musician (guitarist, producer, writer, singer)
Instrument(s) Guitar, Vocals
Associated acts Smashing Pumpkins
Starchildren
A Perfect Circle
Vanessa and the O's
James Yoshinobu Iha (Japanese: 井葉吉伸, Iha Yoshinobu or ジェームス・イハ, Jēmusu Iha) born March 26, 1968 in Chicago, Illinois, U.S.) is an American rock musician. He is most famous as having been a guitarist in the alternative rock band The Smashing Pumpkins and for his eclectic musical projects of recent years, including A Perfect Circle.

Contents [hide]
1 Early life and brief background
2 In Smashing Pumpkins
3 Post Pumpkins work
3.1 2001-2004: A Perfect Circle, producing, Japan
3.2 2005-2006: Soundtracks, collaborations, remixes
3.3 2007-present: Second solo album
4 Discography
4.1 Singles
5 Smashing Pumpkins songs written, co-written or covered by Iha
5.1 Written by James Iha
5.2 Co-written with Billy Corgan
5.3 Covers sung by Iha
6 References
7 External links

[edit] Early life and brief background
Iha attended Elk Grove High School in Elk Grove Village, Illinois, which he described as "a boring, middle class suburb of Chicago."[1] Iha received average grades in high school, and, after a successful two-year stint at a local junior college, he majored in graphic design at Loyola University Chicago before dropping out to dedicate himself to the Smashing Pumpkins.[2] He currently lives in Manhattan, New York and co-owns independent record label Scratchie Records with Adam Schlesinger of Fountains of Wayne. Bands on the Scratchie label ******* The Sounds, Albert Hammond Jr., and Office. He also co-owns a recording studio with Adam Schlesinger and Andy Chase of Ivy called Stratosphere Sound in Manhattan.

He is a second-generation Japanese-American, and is only able to speak a little Japanese.[3] Like his former bandmate Billy Corgan, he has a brother with a disability.[1]

[edit] In Smashing Pumpkins

James Iha in Bangkok, ThailandIn 1987 Iha, then the guitarist for the Chicago band Snake Train, met Billy Corgan via a friend. Corgan had already been telling people he was in a band called "Smashing Pumpkins," and decided to make it a real band with Iha. Iha stayed in the Smashing Pumpkins until their 2000 breakup.

Iha later became romantically involved with the band's bassist D'arcy Wretzky, but the couple broke up just prior to the band's performance at the Reading Festival in 1992. After a brief feud between the two, James sustained a friendly and close relationship with D'arcy[4], citing her as a best friend.

Iha wrote and sang a number of Smashing Pumpkins' songs, such as, "Blew Away" on Pisces Iscariot, "Bugg Superstar" on Vieuphoria, "Take Me Down" on Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness, "...Said Sadly", "Believe", "The Boy", and "The Bells" on The Aeroplane Flies High, "Summer" on the "Perfect" single and "Go" on Machina II/The Friends & Enemies of Modern Music. He co-wrote with Billy Corgan "I Am One" on Gish, "Soma" and "Mayonaise" on Siamese Dream, "Plume" on Pisces Iscariot and "Farewell and Goodnight" on Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness. He also sang the band's covers of The Cure's "A Night Like This" and Syd Barrett's "Terrapin". During his time with the Pumpkins, James also appeared on recordings with other bands, including Ivy, to which Adam Schlesinger also contributes, and The Sounds.

While Iha was a credited guitarist on the first five Smashing Pumpkins albums, Billy Corgan would later discount his contributions to recordings, saying in 2007 that Corgan and Jimmy Chamberlin accounted for "ninety-seven percent" of the performances on every Pumpkins album.[5]

Iha was often considered the "quiet one" in Smashing Pumpkins, but he was known to engage in ad-libbed jokes and rap sessions. His humor was encapsulated in his use of the catchphrase, "I've seen a million faces, and I've rocked them all," originally from the Bon Jovi song "Wanted Dead or Alive".[6][7]

In 1998, Iha released a moderately successful solo album, Let It Come Down, his only solo effort to date. One music video was produced from this album, for the song "Be Strong Now", which was also released as a four-track single.

While his former bandmates Billy Corgan and Jimmy Chamberlin have revived the "Smashing Pumpkins" name, James is not participating, and in fact has not spoken to Corgan in years.[8]

[edit] Post Pumpkins work

[edit] 2001-2004: A Perfect Circle, producing, Japan
Since the Pumpkins' breakup in 2000, Iha has pursued many projects. He continues to contribute to other artists' recordings, such as "Don't Be Sad" on Whiskeytown's Pneumonia released in 2001 and further guest appearances for bands Ivy and Fountains of Wayne, with which he kept close friendship and appeared on virtually every release by both bands since 1997. Andy Chase of Ivy, and Adam Schlesinger of both Ivy and Fountains, appeared on most songs James produced or wrote for other artists. Schlesinger first appeared on Iha's song on "The Bells" by The Smashing Pumpkins.

James Iha made bigger news when he joined rock band A Perfect Circle in July 2003 in time for their Thirteenth Step club tour. He has since appeared on their 2004 album eMOTIVe as well as contributed remixes of Blue and Outsider. In 2003, he joined Vanessa and the O's. The group released an EP Plus Rien in Sweden the same year and followed up with the album "La Ballade d'O" in 2005-2006 on the bands own label RushmoreRecordings playing live shows in Sweden summer of 2005.

More recently, Iha has collaborated on musical and fashion design projects in Japan. He collaborated and produced two tracks with Japanese musician Chara for her 2001 album Madrigal. The tracks are called "Boku ni Utsushite" and "Skirt", the latter accompanied with music video featuring Iha as a hunter in a forest. With the help of longtime friend and manager Isao Izutsu, he started the clothing label Vapor in 2001, and recorded "Never Ever", his first solo song since Smashing Pumpkins demise for first runway of Vapor.

In 2001 James played live with The Blank Theory and appeared on their album Beyond the Calm of the Corridor producing the song "Addicted" together with Schlesinger and contributing guitar playing.

[edit] 2005-2006: Soundtracks, collaborations, remixes
In 2004 A Perfect Circle went on hiatus and James spent much of the year DJing exclusive parties in New York.

Iha also scored the Japanese film Linda, Linda, Linda, released in late summer 2005. In the same year he teamed with Adam Schlesinger again to produce a duet cover of "Splish Splash" by Bobby Darin for Because of Winn-Dixie soundtrack.[9] The same year Iha contributed guitar to some tracks of Chino Moreno's band Team Sleep self-titled album.[10]

Iha recently appeared on the track "The Ballad of Bonnie and Clyde" from the tribute album to Serge Gainsbourg entitled Monsieur Gainsbourg Revisited. Singer Kazu Makino (of Blonde Redhead) duets with him. He also produced two tracks on the album "I love you (me either)" that featured Cat Power singing and "L'Hotel" featuring Michael Stipe singing.

In February of 2006, a digital ep "In the Sun" produced by Iha featuring Michael Stipe and Chris Martin was released. This ep was for the benefit of Gulf Coast victims of Hurricane Katrina. The song was featured on an episode of Grey's Anatomy.[11] Also in collaboration with Michael Stipe, Iha played guitar at the Bring Em Back Home concert benefit on March 20th of 2006 in Nyc.[12]

On March 31st, 2006, Pitchfork Media reported that Iha will be featured on Norwegian pop singer Annie's follow-up to her highly successful debut, Anniemal, which will reportedly be out near the year's end.[13] Iha also remixed "Me Plus One", a track off of Anniemal.[14]

Released in October 2006, The Postmarks Goodbye EP features a remix by Iha.[15] Also in 2006, Iha teamed up with Adam Schlesinger to co-produce America's comeback album, Here & Now, and appeared on Isobel Campbell album collaborating on her renditions of traditional Irish and Scottish folk songs. In 2006 James Iha recorded a cover of "Judy Is a Punk" by The Ramones for 30th anniversary of a Japanese clothing label Beams.[16]

In February 2007, Side-Line announced that James Iha delivered a remix for the Ladytron single "Weekend Mixes" out on March 9th via Smoke & Mirrors. [17]. In April 2007, he recorded remix for the Midnight Movies track "Patiet Eye".[18]

Iha appeared on stage with Swedish band The Sounds, on the season finale of Bam's Unholy Union in April 2007.

Iha contributed guitar to the song "Seatbacks and Traytables", on Fountains of Wayne's 2007 album Traffic and Weather. His former bandmate Melissa Auf der Maur also contributed to that album.

[edit] 2007-present: Second solo album
Iha has been mentioning the possibility of a second solo album since 1998. There are reports that he will soon begin work on the album.[citation needed]

[edit] Discography
Let It Come Down (album) (1998) U.S. #171
Upcoming second solo album (2008)

[edit] Singles
"Be Strong Now" (single) (1998)
"Jealousy" (UK promo-only single) (1998)

[edit] Smashing Pumpkins songs written, co-written or covered by Iha

[edit] Written by James Iha
"Blew Away" from Pisces Iscariot
"Bugg Superstar" from Vieuphoria and Earphoria
"Take Me Down" from Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness
"...Said Sadly" from The Aeroplane Flies High
"Believe" from The Aeroplane Flies High
"The Boy" from The Aeroplane Flies High
"The Bells" from The Aeroplane Flies High
"Summer" from the "Perfect" single
"Go" on Machina II/The Friends & Enemies of Modern Music

[edit] Co-written with Billy Corgan
"I Am One" from Gish
"Soma" and "Mayonaise" from Siamese Dream
"Plume" from Pisces Iscariot
"Farewell and Goodnight" from Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness

[edit] Covers sung by Iha
Syd Barrett's "Terrapin" from I Am One
The Cure's "A Night Like This" from The Aeroplane Flies High
The Human League's "Don't You Want Me" (performed live as a duet with Melissa Auf der Maur in 2000 tour)

[edit] References
a b Marks, Craig. "Zero Worship." Spin Magazine: June 1996.
Mundy, Chris. "Strange Fruit: Success Has Come at a High Price for This Chicago Band." Rolling Stone, 1994/04/20.
Smashing Pumpkins interview, Japanese TV, 1992. Available on Vieuphoria just prior to the performance of "Slunk."
Corgan, Billy (2005-04-23). The Blogs of Pumpkins.
Chamberlin, Jimmy; Corgan, Billy (interview subjects). Inside the Zeitgeist (Reprise Records, 2007).
Smashing Pumpkins. Interview Magazine, February 1996.
Iha, James. On-stage banter. Smashing Pumpkins live at the United Center. 2000-11-29.
Goodman, Elizabeth (2007-04-06). Exclusive: James Iha Speaks Out Regarding His Involvement in Pumpkins Reunion. RollingStone.com. Retrieved on 2007-04-06.
spfc.org : discography : Because of Winn-Dixie - Original Motion Picture Soundtrack
JAMES IHA DOT ORG :: News Database
CMJ News Story
http://archive.salon.com/ent/audiofi...ome/index.html
Pitchfork: Annie Working With James Iha, Alan Braxe on New LP
http://www.mtv.com/news/articles/152...headlines=true
http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/M...63440&s=143441
spfc.org : discography : VARIOUS ARTISTS: 1976-2006 Beams 30th Anniversary
ex-Smashing Pumpkins member remixes Ladytron - news, torrent, wikipedia, free MP3, download, lyrics
New Midnight Movies - "Patient Eye (James Iha Remix)" - Stereogum

Old 03-26-2008, 03:08 PM   #11
Glopaiswe
Pledge

Old 03-26-2008, 03:32 PM   #12
SquashinPumpkin
Oblivious Virgin

Yup. That really is him.

Old 03-26-2008, 03:54 PM   #13
duovamp
Brazilian Blouselord

Angry

MAY IT BE HIS LAST!!!!

Old 03-26-2008, 08:30 PM   #14
mayday
Apocalyptic Poster

Happy Birthday James!!!!!!

Old 03-26-2008, 09:58 PM   #15
pete
Apocalyptic Poster

I'm looking out for Let it Come Down 2.

Old 03-26-2008, 10:35 PM   #16
CrabbMan
Amish Hoe Fighter

If you want to know who James Iha is, just look in the mirror.*

*Note, this only works if you are already James Iha.

Old 03-26-2008, 11:59 PM   #17
jm9843
Ownz

Sarcasm -> I wonder how work on that new solo album is coming along?

Iha is nothing without Corgan. Maybe when the money that he made playing Bill's songs runs out he'll come crawling back to the Pumpkins. Lets hope not.

Old 03-27-2008, 12:11 AM   #18
stumpycat
Apocalyptic Poster

Umm...actually, it sounds as if James is doing quite well enough for himself by dipping his fingers into whatever projects suit his fancy. Even if he isn't under a constant spotlight it seems rather difficult if not absurd to argue that he has done "nothing much." Just because he grew tired of working under Billy, doing exactly what Billy wanted, and would rather just pursue his own interests and leave the past as the past, does not mean that he's some worthless piece of shit for doing so.

Old 03-27-2008, 01:21 AM   #19
wHATcOLOR
THIS IS AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!

Location: || MY NAME IS KIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIID ROCK!!

"the boy" came up on random today and i was really liking the way the guitar sound. between that, and his song "falling", i think you get a good sense of the kind of influence he's had on some of the pumpkins music, and i definitely miss that influence

Old 03-27-2008, 02:50 AM   #20
tcm
Braindead

Arrow

pleeease... it is james's day. do you realize how much it sucks to ruin that with your squabbling? empty party afternoons... please don't fight. thank you.

Old 03-27-2008, 03:53 AM   #21
tcm
Braindead

Arrow

the birthday is a sacred institution prescribed by the practices and laws of every civilized culture i can think of and state in the world. you must have quite a lot of balls on your person to flout the centuries of canon, hard-earned tradition and practical ordinance, and the inborn goddamn savvy we the people share in knowing birthdays to be just and an absolute right. now balls i will admire, but not any balls, not dumb balls nor the balls of the wicked. i caution you that to proceed as you have in this thread may well jeopardize the moral security not only of james and not only of this forum, but of indeed our very way of life.

Old 03-27-2008, 04:02 AM   #22
duovamp
Brazilian Blouselord

<<< appreciates a good pair of balls

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
i mean if she didnt want to be buried, raised, and killed over and over again she shouldnt have worn that miniskirt

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 03-27-2008, 04:05 AM   #23
duovamp
Brazilian Blouselord

It's pretty much 80% of the entire deal, man. In fact, it's the point.