Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Smashing Pumpkins Boards > Smashing Pumpkins/Billy Corgan Discussion
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List

Old 01-20-2022, 05:54 PM   #61
Joey Goldberg
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaceboy88 View Post
Isn't it that bullshit "wrestling" mentality he talks about? Where he plays a character to generate a visceral audience reaction.
Just like will.i.am

Old 01-20-2022, 06:28 PM   #62
Shallowed
Braindead

I saw Billy Corgan at a grocery store. I told him how cool it was to meet him in person, but I didn’t want to be a douche and bother him and ask him for photos or anything. He said, "Oh, like you’re doing now?" I was taken aback, and all I could say was "Huh?" but he kept cutting me off and going "huh? huh? huh?" and closing his hand shut in front of my face. I walked away and continued with my shopping, and I heard him chuckle as I walked off. When I came to pay for my stuff up front I saw him trying to walk out the doors with like fifteen Milky Ways in his hands without paying. The girl at the counter was very nice about it and professional, and was like "Sir, you need to pay for those first". At first he kept pretending to be tired and not hear her, but eventually turned back around and brought them to the counter. When she took one of the bars and started scanning it multiple times, he stopped her and told her to scan them each individually "to prevent any electrical infetterence", and then turned around and winked at me. I don’t even think that’s a word. After she scanned each bar and put them in a bag and started to say the price, he kept interrupting her by yawning really loudly.

Old 01-20-2022, 06:52 PM   #63
topleybird
Janis Jopleybird

Location: Let me see you do the booty hop. And now make the booty stop. Now drop, and do the booty wop.
Red face

I met Billy on the street as I was walking my dog, and he offered to walk it for me and accompany me home. I thought that was so sweet. But I don't know what happened. I was telling him "home" was my boyfriend's place and he just... he just...

Old 01-21-2022, 04:19 AM   #64
Cool As Ice Cream
Just Hook it to My Veins!

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shallowed View Post
I saw Billy Corgan at a grocery store. I told him how cool it was to meet him in person, but I didn’t want to be a douche and bother him and ask him for photos or anything. He said, "Oh, like you’re doing now?" I was taken aback, and all I could say was "Huh?" but he kept cutting me off and going "huh? huh? huh?" and closing his hand shut in front of my face. I walked away and continued with my shopping, and I heard him chuckle as I walked off. When I came to pay for my stuff up front I saw him trying to walk out the doors with like fifteen Milky Ways in his hands without paying. The girl at the counter was very nice about it and professional, and was like "Sir, you need to pay for those first". At first he kept pretending to be tired and not hear her, but eventually turned back around and brought them to the counter. When she took one of the bars and started scanning it multiple times, he stopped her and told her to scan them each individually "to prevent any electrical infetterence", and then turned around and winked at me. I don’t even think that’s a word. After she scanned each bar and put them in a bag and started to say the price, he kept interrupting her by yawning really loudly.
where's that one from again? i recognise it.

edit: i think i found it: https://www.reddit.com/r/SmashingPum...billy/e3t5yx5/

Old 01-21-2022, 09:27 AM   #65
incubator
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaceboy88 View Post
Isn't it that bullshit "wrestling" mentality he talks about? Where he plays a character to generate a visceral audience reaction.

God, wrestling is so fucking dumb.
kinda. but he said it was about "being part of the conversation". if someone meets you they've got to remember you - even if it's for being weird or horrible - and they've got to talk about you and have something meaty to say because that's how doors get opened. and you need to treat everyone the same as you don't know who some random fan might be, who they might know, who might be watching

he'd "consumed" interviews, gossip, gig recordings/reviews and mapped out the common behaviours of successful artists + determined which he had the chops to credibly emulate. he said also that seeming "difficult" or "troubled" gives you some extra artistic credibility and attention/help from labels/management who confused difficulty with potential and genius.

oh and I met Jeff once and he was nice

Old 01-21-2022, 11:03 AM   #66
topleybird
Janis Jopleybird

Location: Let me see you do the booty hop. And now make the booty stop. Now drop, and do the booty wop.
Cool

I hung out with one of David Geffen's nieces, who turned out to be the reptilian who'd freaked out Billy so much; she was actually super chill

She said they were at an industry party, and all she'd done was start singing along to the song that was playing ("La Di Da Di" by Slick Rick) while generally but not intentionally facing him, and he made a cross with his fingers and backed out of the room hissing

Later, she told me La Croix had actually gotten so popular because lizard people discovered it got them high as fuck, and finally that whole thing made sense to me

Old 01-21-2022, 12:29 PM   #67
themadcaplaughs
Apocalyptic Poster

I saw Mike Byrne the other night and gave him a tip.

I figured he deserved it for delivering my pizza on time.

Old 01-21-2022, 12:42 PM   #68
Joey Goldberg
Minion of Satan

and it was at that point that the madcap tilted his head back, as far as it could go, and laughed.