Immortal

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martyr View Post
read it all. nodded along mostly.

Old 04-23-2009, 11:28 AM   #33
Shallowed
Braindead

Anyone who wouldn't nod in silent agreement while reading this must be from another planet, because all that it is is a decade in review of what Billy has been doing.

Old 04-23-2009, 11:46 AM   #34
cardiac
Apocalyptic Poster

All in all, I agree with the original post. Well put, Billy oughta read it.

I would, however, add how quitting on the autobiography posts just as TFE was released made it seem like a marketing trick.

Old 04-23-2009, 12:34 PM   #35
Caine Walker
Braindead

wow, good post. hit all the bases, and i somehow feel... vindicated? i don't know, that was awesome.

Old 04-23-2009, 12:52 PM   #36
better than new
Apocalyptic Poster

Solid post.

Old 04-23-2009, 12:55 PM   #37
waltermcphilp
Socialphobic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caine Walker View Post
wow, good post. hit all the bases, and i somehow feel... vindicated? i don't know, that was awesome.

http://dic.academic.ru/pictures/enwi...Vindicated.jpg

Old 04-23-2009, 01:11 PM   #38
Caine Walker
Braindead

yes, i feel exactly like chris carrabba.

Old 04-23-2009, 01:11 PM   #39
Caine Walker
Braindead

and i'm screaming infidelities.

Old 04-23-2009, 01:12 PM   #40
Caine Walker
Braindead

YOUR HAIR IS EVERYWHERE

Old 04-23-2009, 01:12 PM   #41
waltermcphilp
Socialphobic

AND YOU KISSED ME LIKE YOU MEANT IT!

Old 04-23-2009, 01:46 PM   #42
RenewRevive
Minion of Satan

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by D. View Post
i'm not one to defend billy no matter what. i have issues with him, pretty much reflected very well in the OP.

but the following are kinda nit-picky

>I was just thinking about making a thread to list all of Corgan's blunders, good job dude.

>the wrestling advertisement

who cares? the man likes wrestling. he was on a wrestling show in 2001. we all just laughed, but we didn't crucify the man

>not saying anything about Jimmy's leaving

who cares? his personal business

>the whole idea of trying to release songs in non-album format 'if the beatles were around they wouldn't be making records!

it was an idea. a failed idea, but he tried

>hanging out with unbelievable human trash like Tila

who actually gives that much of a shit what billy does on his off time?

>dubbing SP with the absolutely meaningless title of 'american gothic' music

i take it you didn't see that as tongue-in-cheek as i did?

>caring so deeply about prosecuting the dudes who posted some of the Zeitgeist album artwork online

didn't nothing come out of that?

>putting Tilt on a fucking Target CD

how much was the CD, like $5 (free in some cases)?

>that's the way' on that car commercial

quit watching so much t.v.

>metro dvd promises

unforgiveable, i agree
QFT

Old 04-23-2009, 02:44 PM   #43
ravenguy2000
NO FATS

who writes a post that long and doesn't pull a fresh prince at the end

i mean really

Old 04-23-2009, 03:23 PM   #44
DaveKShape
Ownz

this was awesome to read. i agree with it all. but it's also awesome knowing that reyvngel spent so much writing this from the heart, and if billy was to actually read it, he'd dismiss it immediately.

Old 04-23-2009, 03:47 PM   #45
wHATcOLOR
THIS IS AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!

Location: || MY NAME IS KIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIID ROCK!!

good post. add in the mablak points, and we've covered pretty well the reasons why this guy isn't worth believing in. he's just so out of touch with reality. and a normal person should be grateful to have someone lay it out there for them, explain exactly why everyone thinks they are such a douchebag, but i don't think there's a chance in hell it'll actually get through to that piece of shit. fuck you bill!!!

Old 04-23-2009, 06:35 PM   #46
maoi
Apocalyptic Poster

you should repost this ont he open letters to billy section on the o-board. not that he'll ever read it. but he really should know the full scope of the situation from a point of view other than his own.

Old 04-23-2009, 06:49 PM   #47
maoi
Apocalyptic Poster

check that: i actually read some of it and i feel the op misses the point on some of the earlier things going back to Zwan. there's also a mischaracterization of billy's demeanor. billy would write off this post from the start and i wouldn't disagree with him from that. a lot of this is irrational ranting. i'll put more input when i get home

Old 04-24-2009, 01:20 AM   #48
D.
Consume my pants.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RenewRevive View Post
QFT
who are you, again?

yeah, go away.

Old 04-24-2009, 02:29 AM   #49
Starla

what happen to gatmog???????????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

fuck billy. I wanted gatmog.

Old 04-24-2009, 04:02 AM   #50
Cool As Ice Cream
Just Hook it to My Veins!

Quote:
Originally Posted by maoi View Post
a lot of this is irrational ranting.
agreed.

Old 04-24-2009, 05:17 AM   #51
My Blue Heaven
Ownz

Quote:
Originally Posted by D. View Post
who are you, again?

yeah, go away.
hey, f u, fatty.

but yeah, OP, while seeming really overtly bitchy, is more or less spot on

Old 04-24-2009, 05:19 AM   #52
Shallowed
Braindead

Red face Hey guise

Billy, rather than shout above the silly insults and back and forth in the main forum, I am writing an open letter to you about the subscription idea, hoping you will read it.

I wanted to start with reasons why people may be skeptical of the idea.

- You often announce ideas that do not come to pass (projects such as GATMOG, the Metro DVD, Djali Zwan, Chicago Songs). I understand that there are a million reasons for this, some within your control, others not. However, when presented with a half-formed idea which may not come to pass, there is going to be less buy-in.

- Some people do not understand that your songs appearing in television commercials is a good thing - you earn money that allows you to continue creating music, people who would never have heard your music are now exposed to it. Unfortunately, after several versions of your most recent album, your songs appearing in commercials, higher ticket and merchandise prices, and so forth, some would believe that this is another attempt to make money for anything but artistic reasons.

- You have been very unfortunate in that you are announcing this idea after many other artists have had varying levels of success doing similar things for free. For a smaller artist, the notion of covering costs for a project is understandable - people like Giant Drag, Jill Sobule and a few others even had fans contribute to recording costs in exchange for gifts and being name-checked in the liner notes. For an artist who has sold millions of records, appears to be very much in control of their business affairs, and has recently had songs in adverts, again, it looks like a cash grab.

- There is clearly confusion about how this project relates to the fan club, and Frank Quinto's archive project. Being asked to pay separate fees for ideas that could very easily overlap is confusing. A single, tiered, defined offering would have helped considerably. I know you wanted to have the fan community help shape the offering, but that clearly doesn't work.

From your email, I gathered you were most upset by the fact people were thinking of this in business terms. There is no solution for that - you are a highly successful musician who has made a lot of money because from your art. You continue to release music commercially, play shows to large audiences and sell merchandise. Nobody is suggesting you are jumping on bandwagons (please tell me there is no Timbaland collaboration in the works) or producing art to cater specifically to a business need, but money is always going to be involved.

And because I don't believe criticism is worth a jot unless it's constructive, here are ideas for the subscription offering that would make it appeal to me.

- Merge all of the rumoured offerings. $40 for the behind the scenes thing didn't really appeal to everyone. If that was $40/year for that, the archive and some other perks, I'd be in faster than you can say "Cash or credit?" and I dare say I am not alone. Some people have balked at the price, so that was why I suggested a tiered system. Not everyone would want the highest quality audio/video, so let people pay what they want and give them different formats, bitrates and extras accordingly.

- Make audio a bigger part of the behind the scenes peek. I really do not care for video - it's not what motivates me when it comes to music. However, one insight into the process I have always loved is hearing different takes of a song. From demo to single, a song goes through a million changes. Having access to alternative versions of songs before the final mix would be interesting.

- Learn from your peers. Everyone mentions Trent Reznor, Radiohead et al and how they have embraced the new musical future. In Rainbows and Ghosts I-IV weren't perfect executions by any means, but those artists and others have been very forthcoming with the pros and cons of operating in the digital world. Why suffer growing pains other people have gone through for you?

- Understand that not everyone is going to like everything, and that doesn't mean they hate you. Personally, I figure you to be a very intelligent person, so I don't think I even need to explain that it's a very good sign if, as an artist, people remain passionate about your work even when they don't necessarily like your current output. If and when you start sharing lyrics, music and the like, you are going to get a lot of different responses. I hope you are measured enough to accept that feedback without it compromising your music.

- Explain to everyone that Giordano's is better than Lou Malnati's. Please. They don't listen to common sense unless it comes from the mouth of a famous musician.

Thank you, and good luck.

Old 04-24-2009, 05:19 AM   #53
My Blue Heaven
Ownz

but honestly d that may be the most painful post ive ever read. you act like you're the king of netphoria, grow up you fatty boom boom.

Old 04-24-2009, 05:26 AM   #54
june_soma
Whore of Saul Goodman

Wonderful post. Reminds me of the email I sent to my x-bf after he broke my heart.

Cause that is what this is. A dear John-letter. Nothing wrong with that. It just goes to show how much love, time and energy we all have invested in this man. And how much it hurts when he fails to deliver.

I love Billy, just like you. That is why it hurts so much, when he fucks us all like he has the last year or so. I hear ya. I really do.

Gotta quote Brokeback Mountain on this: Man, I wish I knew how to quit him.

Old 04-24-2009, 05:33 AM   #55
Shallowed
Braindead

What did John fail to deliver to you?

Old 04-24-2009, 05:44 AM   #56
june_soma
Whore of Saul Goodman

An orgasm. It got very messy.

Old 04-24-2009, 05:46 AM   #57
Shallowed
Braindead

I bet he promised you that he was working on an orgasm, but then scrapped the idea for some unknown reason.

Old 04-24-2009, 05:48 AM   #58
june_soma
Whore of Saul Goodman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pasta of Muppet View Post
I bet he promised you that he was working on an orgasm, but then scrapped the idea for some unknown reason.
Yes, this is the reason why I am still single. Useless men.

Old 04-24-2009, 09:44 AM   #59
topleybird
Janis Jopleybird

Location: Let me see you do the booty hop. And now make the booty stop. Now drop, and do the booty wop.

Pasta I don't know if you wrote that or you're repasting from somewhere, but that was brilliant. And honest. And constructive. A++, would read again.

Old 04-24-2009, 10:23 AM   #60
Shallowed
Braindead

Repaste, courtesy of IWillEatYouSoul