Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Smashing Pumpkins Boards > Smashing Pumpkins/Billy Corgan Discussion
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List

Old 07-04-2022, 08:25 PM   #1
TuralyonW3
Immortal

Default Best 1999 soundboard

Best-sounding 1999 soundboard? they all sound pretty assy IIRC

Old 07-04-2022, 09:35 PM   #2
ourruseoffools
Apocalyptic Poster

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CUqoun8_LzY prolly this

Old 07-04-2022, 09:47 PM   #3
Ram27
dumb

there's only the NYC one i think? and yeah it's pretty bad. the bill/darcy banter is fun, but the guitars are so low and it's so dry

Old 07-05-2022, 12:01 AM   #4
TuralyonW3
Immortal

Quote:
Originally Posted by ourruseoffools View Post
Yeah that's probably the best Melissa show, and the Tramps NYC show mentioned above is the best Arising. thx

Old 07-05-2022, 12:02 AM   #5
Shallowed
Braindead

There aren't even that many soundboard recordings circulating

1999-04-10
* webcast of soundcheck https://archive.org/details/tsp1999-04-10.shn
* pro shoot of first three songs

1999-04-12
* ends during Soma, mp3 only

1999-04-14
* complete, mp3 only

1999-10-30
* complete, matrix of satellite broadcast and audience recording http://www.archive.org/details/tsp1999-10-30.shn
* complete, pro shoot

1999-10-31
* complete, matrix of satellite broadcast and audience recording https://archive.org/details/tsp1999-10-31.shn
* pro shoot, missing last song

1999-12-21
* complete, pro shoot

Old 07-05-2022, 12:51 AM   #6
houseofglass11
Minion of Satan

I remember hearing those Arising shows at the time and the sense of excitement within the fan community. Like “wow they’re back, this band can do anything”. And then everyone was let down by Machina. It was muddy and poorly mixed and removed all of the energy and rawness the Arising versions had. That’s what happens when the producer lets heavy hand Corgan control too much of the session.

Old 07-05-2022, 06:29 AM   #7
ourruseoffools
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by houseofglass11 View Post
I remember hearing those Arising shows at the time and the sense of excitement within the fan community. Like “wow they’re back, this band can do anything”. And then everyone was let down by Machina. It was muddy and poorly mixed and removed all of the energy and rawness the Arising versions had. That’s what happens when the producer lets heavy hand Corgan control too much of the session.
so funny that this was the opinion after they had just released and finished up touring their BEST ALBUM...... like yea virex and speed kills are really gonna take the band places

Old 07-05-2022, 06:30 AM   #8
ourruseoffools
Apocalyptic Poster

i reckon hearing early bootlegged versions of stand inside your love was probably exciting... the other songs debuted during arising welllllllllllllll

Old 07-05-2022, 08:16 AM   #9
houseofglass11
Minion of Satan

Ok so we’ve established that you don’t know what the fuck you’re talking about. And clearly you weren’t there at the time either. You sound like a casual fan.

Old 07-05-2022, 08:32 AM   #10
Butt Pope
Apocalyptic Poster

This one is probably the best

https://youtu.be/v-xUwDARVb4

Old 07-05-2022, 11:09 AM   #11
run2pee
Minion of Satan

Quote:
i reckon hearing early bootlegged versions of stand inside your love was probably exciting... the other songs debuted during arising welllllllllllllll
Ourruseoftrolls

Stick to the whacky jokes your smashpump analysis sux granny dick

Old 07-05-2022, 06:34 PM   #12
Ram27
dumb

Quote:
like yea virex and speed kills are really gonna take the band places
????

Old 07-05-2022, 07:26 PM   #13
slunken
Virgo

1999-04-12 or 1999-04-14?

04-12 sounds better

04-14 is a pure unmixed feed which is kind of cool for different more advanced reasons

Old 07-05-2022, 07:28 PM   #14
slunken
Virgo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shallowed View Post
There aren't even that many soundboard recordings circulating
no duh dummy

Old 07-05-2022, 08:15 PM   #15
trev
charm

i have the tramps 04-14 already, but is there anywhere we can get the 04-12 mp3's?

Old 08-27-2022, 12:10 AM   #16
MisterLove
Pledge

Quote:
Speed Kills, Blue Skies Bring Tears, and Stand Inside Your Love were the highlights from Arising along with maybe Glass and the Ghost Children, the other more rocking songs from Arising tour (Dross, Glass Theme, ) were probably better than what ended up on the album (esp Heavy Metal Machine and Everlasting Gaze). Hell they could have recorded all those songs live in studio as they were on the Arising tour and it probably was a better album than Machina ended up.

Even Glass Theme and Cash Car Star came off alright during Arising Tour, but I can see why they were left off the album. They didn't come off with the right energy in the studio. Ditto for the album version of Virex/Imploding Voice.

There was plenty of material for a really solid album. The main problem was that some of the best songs were either butchered in the studio or left off the album entirely. Stand inside your love was the only one that really came off well. The Everlasting Gaze I always thought was one of their worst songs from the first time i heard it played on FM radio, not just one of their worst singles but one of their worst period. Raindrops and Sunshowers and Age of Innocence were good songs, but they didn't seem to fit the sound of the album even as it was constructed.

Last edited by MisterLove : 08-27-2022 at 12:19 AM.

Old 08-27-2022, 02:25 AM   #17
Big Truck05
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butt Pope View Post
This one is probably the best

https://youtu.be/v-xUwDARVb4
I don't play guitar, but how could you do this, capture that sound, and have it play off to the audience without sounding like it does. Honest question.

Old 08-27-2022, 02:26 AM   #18
Big Truck05
Apocalyptic Poster

I guess it's just isolated and the soundboard track takes care of the rest? Seems easy with voices, but instruments... IDK

Old 08-27-2022, 02:28 AM   #19
Big Truck05
Apocalyptic Poster

The Tramps NY show is the only one I care for.

Old 08-27-2022, 10:52 AM   #20
Ram27
dumb

i'm glad that guitar went to a new home in corgan's reverb auction

Old 08-27-2022, 10:53 AM   #21
Ram27
dumb

it's much quieter and hidden under the actual guitarist's playing

Old 08-28-2022, 12:35 AM   #22
ourruseoffools
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterLove View Post
Speed Kills, Blue Skies Bring Tears, and Stand Inside Your Love were the highlights from Arising along with maybe Glass and the Ghost Children, the other more rocking songs from Arising tour (Dross, Glass Theme, ) were probably better than what ended up on the album (esp Heavy Metal Machine and Everlasting Gaze). Hell they could have recorded all those songs live in studio as they were on the Arising tour and it probably was a better album than Machina ended up.

Even Glass Theme and Cash Car Star came off alright during Arising Tour, but I can see why they were left off the album. They didn't come off with the right energy in the studio. Ditto for the album version of Virex/Imploding Voice.

There was plenty of material for a really solid album. The main problem was that some of the best songs were either butchered in the studio or left off the album entirely. Stand inside your love was the only one that really came off well. The Everlasting Gaze I always thought was one of their worst songs from the first time i heard it played on FM radio, not just one of their worst singles but one of their worst period. Raindrops and Sunshowers and Age of Innocence were good songs, but they didn't seem to fit the sound of the album even as it was constructed.
My opinion just couldn’t be farther from yours bro… obv stand inside your love is an all timer but I find everlasting gaze far superior to speed kills, blue skies (arising), dross, glass, etc… not only in construction but also in execution

I think try try try is by far the best song on machina I although I am aware it’s a hot take… to me that’s the ultimate manifestation of the machina sound, a continuation of adore beefed up with plenty of saturation and jimmys most jimmy drumming to date… the key to ‘continuation of adore’ is the masterful songwriting, and to my ears songs like speed kills and virex are wildly underdeveloped in a similar way that modern tsp is, while everlasting gaze, under the mud, is a truly well thought out piece of music that compsitionally stands up against billy’s best

Old 09-02-2022, 09:05 AM   #23
strtj
Pledge

Which one of you felt the need to protect D'arcy's honor so badly that you removed my transcription of the off-mic stuff from 1999.04.14

Fess up, fucker

https://www.splra.org/wiki/index.php...82&oldid=40427

Old 09-02-2022, 09:49 AM   #24
Ram27
dumb

Quote:
Wretzky (off-mic): Sorry, my shirt's falling off. I'm like, um, I'll just stand this way.
Corgan (off-mic): Go with it, please.
lollllll

thanks for transcribing this!

Old 09-02-2022, 09:52 AM   #25
topleybird
Janis Jopleybird

Location: Let me see you do the booty hop. And now make the booty stop. Now drop, and do the booty wop.
Angry

Quote:
so funny that this was the opinion after they had just released and finished up touring their BEST ALBUM...... like yea virex and speed kills are really gonna take the band places
Totally unrelated story from a time shortly before these shows started: I was in college, walking past my friend's dorm on my way to lunch. He happened to see me passing and stuck his head out of the window and called out, from like 20 floors up, "Did you hear about Jimmy?" and I yelled back "WOOOOOOO!" and he screamed "THE GREATEST ROCK DRUMMER IN THE WORLD, BABY!" and I repeated my earlier affirmation.

Anyway, again totally unrelated: Could you delete your account