Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Smashing Pumpkins Boards > Smashing Pumpkins/Billy Corgan Discussion
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 05-31-2023, 07:06 PM   #31
Joey Goldberg
Minion of Satan

i don't think a hamfisted cultural/political statement was enough for a final nail on a coffin on a reunion project that had just started, lol

you gotta wait for at least the 2008 antics for that!

Old 05-31-2023, 07:22 PM   #32
TheAlter
Apocalyptic Poster

[laughs in 1fatslug]

Things are a bit blurry but IIRC the album had leaked and the reunion was already the Bill&Jimm roadshow at that point. The two-three SP obsessed people in my circle were already out of their minds and then… fucking PI on the cover.

So yeah maybe second to last nail in the coffin? Tila Tequila knows the truth

Old 05-31-2023, 07:36 PM   #33
ilikeplanets
Braindead

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAlter View Post
I definitely remember being turned on and confused by the Paris Hilton aesthetic.

No srsly fucking thang’s probably the last nail in the coffin for a lot of ppl
It was the casting of a dark cloud, for me. And truly painful, since it was the first SP album where I hated the music and the concept. Final nail on anything being better was Oceania, because it proved that even veering into the opposite direction of Zeitgeist wouldn't fix what I hated about the new "band."

Old 05-31-2023, 07:40 PM   #34
ilikeplanets
Braindead

Zeitgeist will always be the worst to me, emotionally, for that reason. I was just getting into the band around the time of its release, and could NOT have been more excited to be present for an album and tour. And then I heard it, and things have been on a perfect downward arc ever since.

Old 06-01-2023, 06:05 AM   #35
New Art Rioter
Apocalyptic Poster

Actually quite a decent watch, quite revealing to see glimpses of his Covid opinions which he's kept pretty quiet about

Amazed he did an interview with someone smoking weed next to him!

Old 06-01-2023, 06:07 AM   #36
TheAlter
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilikeplanets View Post
Zeitgeist will always be the worst to me, emotionally, for that reason. I was just getting into the band around the time of its release, and could NOT have been more excited to be present for an album and tour. And then I heard it, and things have been on a perfect downward arc ever since.
Mad props for getting into the band during the Zeitgeist. I would never have done it. Actually wouldn't be around these parts to-day. Double mad props!

Old 06-01-2023, 10:41 AM   #37
Joey Goldberg
Minion of Satan

I got into the band shortly after Zeitgeist and I gotta say, the disdain for it seemed pretty overwhelming at the time to the point where it was practically a "forbidden album"

then i actually god hold of it & realized most of the fans were full of shit

Old 06-01-2023, 01:39 PM   #38
Zer0 Hour
Apocalyptic Poster

The Zeitgeist aesthetic was weird. I'm not sure what he was going for with it all, and I'm not sure he even knows. The album cover seemed to imply a more liberal message around climate change and some of what Jimmy said in interviews at the time indicated that. But then Billy said some weird, xenophobic shit in an interview where he talked about how he stopped watching all news coverage because he was terrified "someone was going to come and blow us up," which, if he believed that, my guess is he was only watching "news" on one particular channel. But then, Bush was president at the time and the Grim Reaper president stuff seemed to be mocking him and his bloody war, so I'm not sure which way Billy was leaning back then. He initially supported Obama a couple years later but then went back on that and started sucking up to racist turds like Alex Jones.

Politics aside, including Paris Hilton was just weird. I don't really care about art for individual singles but it just seemed like Billy was trying to get a rise out of people. Also, did he ever explain why he pronounces the name of the song "TARAN-TOOLA"? What the fuck was that?

All that aside, I think it's an okay album but as I said in another thread, that's why it damaged the band. It needed to be a GREAT album to win over the skeptics. Some of us were just hoping for the return to the RAWK that Machina lacked and we got that... but then it sacrificed all the interesting artistry that Machina did get right. And the result was just kind of a middle-of-the-road, generic rock album. And I think it could have been better if he had included some of the more interesting songs he wrote back then as album tracks instead of ones that were only available via special editions or only heard during live shows. And some shit like "For God and Country" should have been left on the cutting room floor.

Old 06-01-2023, 03:47 PM   #39
topleybird
Janis Jopleybird

Location: Let me see you do the booty hop. And now make the booty stop. Now drop, and do the booty wop.
Unhappy

The fact that the album is called Zeitgeist and most of you motherfuckers don't understand why he used a picture of Paris Hilton is just... Christ Jesus save me

Also yeah Maher is a smug centrist who thinks he's being provocative or "saying what no one else is brave enough to say" (which, look around, Bill, you are nowhere near either extreme end of the discourse these days) but really just wants to ridicule anyone who wants anything about life to change. He's just a grumpy old man calling everything "woke" the same way Shapiro and company do—if he doesn't like it, it's "woke." He's an embarrassment.

Old 06-01-2023, 04:22 PM   #40
Disco King
Minion of Satan

Yeah, Maher doesn't register enough on my radar for me to hate him or anything, but he doesn't seem very smart to me. You know, the whole anti-vax, anti-GMO thing. Also, the "Republicans are dumb, but every left-wing issue that doesn't affect my specific demographic is also dumb, so trans stuff doesn't matter actually" thing is dumb.

But putting his boomer centrist takes aside, he's just not very funny, regardless of politics. Being smarmy and basing your entire routine on how intellectually superior you are to the blithering idiots is just boring, even if you're hitting the "correct" targets. Yeah, sure, bumpkin hicks are dumb, but nothing is more insufferable than a bunch of guys in suits standing together over champagne, laughing about how dumb the slack-jawed yokel hoi polloi are. Political comedy can be hard to do well, because there is wanting to be right and wanting to be funny, and sometimes the two might overlap. But many political comedians will always privilege wanting to be right.

Old 06-01-2023, 04:46 PM   #41
ilikeplanets
Braindead

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAlter View Post
Mad props for getting into the band during the Zeitgeist. I would never have done it. Actually wouldn't be around these parts to-day. Double mad props!

I didn't get into them during Zeitgeist, it was slightly before the comeback announcement. So Zeitgeist was the first "real-time" release I was a fan for. I got into them based on the Golden Era material, but it just happened to be around 2007.

Old 06-01-2023, 04:48 PM   #42
topleybird
Janis Jopleybird

Location: Let me see you do the booty hop. And now make the booty stop. Now drop, and do the booty wop.
Cool

Any time I see someone complaining about "coastal elites" laughing at the poor, real Americans, I picture Maher standing there with his suit and a snifter of brandy arching an eyebrow and saying "blue-collar workers are too stupid to be allowed to vote" with an ain't-I-a-stinker grin

Old 06-01-2023, 04:50 PM   #43
MyKeyZ
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by topleybird View Post
The fact that the album is called Zeitgeist and most of you motherfuckers don't understand why he used a picture of Paris Hilton is just... Christ Jesus save me
Or that people can understand a concept behind something and still think the execution is shit.

It really ain't that highbrow.

Billy’s concepts are like expecting a Stanley Kubrick film, but you get a Michael Bay movie instead.

Old 06-01-2023, 05:09 PM   #44
MyKeyZ
Apocalyptic Poster

Instead of David Fincher, you get M. Night Shyamalan.

Instead of Steven Spielberg, you get Roland Emmerich.

Instead of Christopher Nolan, you get Uwe Boll.

Old 06-01-2023, 05:12 PM   #45
Joey Goldberg
Minion of Satan

instead of Billy Corgan, you get 21st Century Willie Pat

Old 06-01-2023, 05:15 PM   #46
VoxUpDoc
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by topleybird View Post
The promo art featured a bunch of superficial, on-the-nose incoherent American Idiot style images and the music had nothing to do with the “zeitgeist” whatsoever, but then Billy thinks if he writes something with 6 degrees separation from what he’s thinking about, that’s clever and in some way discernible to the listener. So maybe it is about something coherent in Billy’s head… but like ATUM it’s nowhere to be found in the lyrics or music.

Old 06-01-2023, 05:42 PM   #47
LaBelle
Socialphobic

If we're doing filmmaker comparisons Billy Corgan is closer to an Alejandro Iñarritu, thinks he's artsy and deep but all he does is empty allegory completely devoid of new and fresh ideas.

Old 06-01-2023, 06:27 PM   #48
Ram27
dumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by VoxUpDoc View Post
Billy thinks if he writes something with 6 degrees separation from what he’s thinking about, that’s clever and in some way discernible to the listener.
this is the story of the band

Old 06-01-2023, 06:31 PM   #49
Brisk
Ownz

This is so shit, all they talk about is jerking off. Billy is pretty cringey as well, it's like he is trying to look cool to impress an older brother or kid. Then he goes on about being fat people when he's a fat shit.

Last edited by Brisk : 06-01-2023 at 06:38 PM.

Old 06-02-2023, 12:58 AM   #50
brothahi4L
Apocalyptic Poster

At least i.had the pression that bill is not dominating the interview.
Normally is he is trying to interrupt the interviewer, but this stoned guy gives a shit...and keeps talking.
Well.done maher.
Yeah bill you are fat too.....how can a vegan get soo fat?

Old 06-02-2023, 03:38 AM   #51
Butt Pope
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by NovaFritz View Post
I definitely remember being turned off and confused by the Zeitgeist aesthetic. I mean, the album cover was OK, but the single covers, the flags, the reapers, Paris Hiltons... it was like Billy had some kind of political message but of course it was incoherent and most likely empty.
He was influenced by the success of American Idiot, I believe

Old 06-02-2023, 03:52 AM   #52
ilikeplanets
Braindead

Quote:
Originally Posted by VoxUpDoc View Post
The promo art featured a bunch of superficial, on-the-nose incoherent American Idiot style images and the music had nothing to do with the “zeitgeist” whatsoever, but then Billy thinks if he writes something with 6 degrees separation from what he’s thinking about, that’s clever and in some way discernible to the listener. So maybe it is about something coherent in Billy’s head… but like ATUM it’s nowhere to be found in the lyrics or music.
So spot on

Old 06-02-2023, 03:53 AM   #53
ilikeplanets
Braindead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butt Pope View Post
He was influenced by the success of American Idiot, I believe
As if Billy Corgan could be a heart throb like Billie Joe

Old 06-02-2023, 04:04 AM   #54
T&T
Socialphobic

Billy think zeitgeist was dark counter-culture/political content, and that's why it didn't succeed at the time.
"everyone told me not to put it out" ... "I went too far" IIRC are exact quotes

I don't remember ANYONE discussing anything Zeitgeist related as political. The only cultural discussion related to the album was how billy was now old and out of touch with "culture".

Old 06-02-2023, 02:41 PM   #55
TheSultanOfCyr
Ownz

What’s the most scathingly political lyric on Zeitgeist? All I can think of is ‘come on let us go’?

Old 06-02-2023, 02:50 PM   #56
Joey Goldberg
Minion of Satan

i believe that would be the line "chicken in ma heart"