Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Archives > Pumpkins Archive
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List

Old 12-29-2014, 03:12 PM   #1
dreams of glass
Apocalyptic Poster

Default Corgan on Ask Anything Chat

You are all probably burnt out on hearing Corgan interviews, but this popped up in my youtube recs, and it's actually quite good, in that he answers questions from fans, just like the Reddit AMA.

Old 12-29-2014, 03:17 PM   #2
Cool As Ice Cream
Just Hook it to My Veins!

http://i61.tinypic.com/xo0i89.jpg

Old 12-29-2014, 03:17 PM   #3
dreams of glass
Apocalyptic Poster

thanks

Old 12-29-2014, 03:22 PM   #4
dreams of glass
Apocalyptic Poster

He basically says that Oceania was an attempt to balance people's expectations with what he wanted to do creatively, but that it didn't work, so he decided to "punch everyone in the face", make a pop album, and if it was a success, go back to being an art band.

Pretty much sums it up

Old 12-29-2014, 03:41 PM   #5
Elphenor
Braindead

But MTAE was less of a success lol

Old 12-29-2014, 03:44 PM   #6
MyOneAndOnly
Shut the fuck up!

Not a punch. More like a limp wristed slap.

Old 12-29-2014, 03:45 PM   #7
MyOneAndOnly
Shut the fuck up!

Bill should spend a couple of years doing soundtracks for animated movies. That might get him the popular acclaim he's searching for.

Old 12-29-2014, 03:56 PM   #8
toase
Apocalyptic Poster

http://i.imgur.com/XdgPKK9.png

Old 12-29-2014, 04:01 PM   #9
Araneae
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottytheoneand View Post
Bill should spend a couple of years doing soundtracks for animated movies. That might get him the popular acclaim he's searching for.
It's not from a lack of trying. I don't think anyone wants to hire Billy to make soundtracks, everything seems to fall through. He just doesn't seem to be on the same page. He did the Ransom soundtrack and apparently the people he worked with hated it. He was also supposed to do the soundtrack for CNN's Chicagoland but it fell through because they didn't like the direction he was going in (they felt it didn't fit the scenes or the content). Movie soundtracks, especially great movie soundtracks, are an art form. Whereas Billy just seems to want to make whatever he wants rather than really try and understand a film and what it needs. Often times subtly and editing are very much needed in those situations, which are two of Billy's weaknesses.

Old 12-29-2014, 04:04 PM   #10
Araneae
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreams of glass View Post
and if it was a success, go back to being an art band.
When was SP ever an "art band?"

Last edited by Araneae : 12-29-2014 at 04:09 PM.

Old 12-29-2014, 04:05 PM   #11
Elphenor
Braindead

100% no

Old 12-29-2014, 04:06 PM   #12
Elphenor
Braindead

SP is a pop band with some Art Band influences

Edit: And also a Prog and heavy metal band at times

Old 12-29-2014, 04:07 PM   #13
Ram27
dumb

Quote:
He basically says that Oceania was an attempt to balance people's expectations with what he wanted to do creatively, but that it didn't work, so he decided to "punch everyone in the face", make a pop album, and if it was a success, go back to being an art band.

Pretty much sums it up
http://i.imgur.com/tJaBJjl.gif

Old 12-29-2014, 04:08 PM   #14
pavementtune

Location: I'm a quitter. I come from a long line of quitters. It's amazing I'm here at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Araneae View Post
It's not from a lack of trying. I don't think anyone wants to hire Billy to make soundtracks, everything seems to fall through. He just doesn't seem to be on the same page. He did the Ransom soundtrack and apparently the people he worked with hated it. He was also supposed to do the soundtrack for CNN's Chicagoland but it fell through because they didn't like the direction he was going in (they felt it didn't fit the scenes or the content). Movie soundtracks, especially great movie soundtracks, are an art form. Whereas Billy just seems to want to make whatever he wants rather than really try and understand a film and what it needs. Often times subtly and editing are very much needed in those situations, which are two of Billy's weaknesses.
speaking of soundtracks, I read up on the producer of Manson's new album, Tyler Bates, he also did the Watchmen soundtrack.
Watchmen had a Pumpkins track in the trailer, but it never ended up on the actual soundtrack. Does anybody know why? Seems odd.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Watchme...Motion_Picture
Quote:
The Grammy Award-winning song The End Is the Beginning Is the End originally composed by American alternative rock band The Smashing Pumpkins for Batman & Robin's soundtrack, although used in a promotional trailer, was not included in Watchmen's soundtrack.

Old 12-29-2014, 04:11 PM   #15
Araneae
Apocalyptic Poster

If I'm not mistaken rumor had it that it was because Watchmen was released by Warner Bros., which was the same label that Zeitgeist was released on (Reprise). It was meant to be a sort of promo vehicle.

Old 12-29-2014, 04:21 PM   #16
topleybird
Janis Jopleybird

Location: Let me see you do the booty hop. And now make the booty stop. Now drop, and do the booty wop.
Question

Quote:
He did the Ransom soundtrack and apparently the people he worked with hated it.
When that report came out recently of all the songs the CIA has used to torture prisoners, do you think Billy scanned through the list real quick and was disappointed they hadn't used his contributions to the Ransom soundtrack

Because I did and I was

Old 12-29-2014, 04:37 PM   #17
Araneae
Apocalyptic Poster

If they knew about its existence I think it would have made the list...but I feel like nobody deserves to be exposed to that. Maybe AEGEA will make the next list.

Old 12-29-2014, 04:59 PM   #18
Araneae
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elphenor View Post
SP is a pop band with some Art Band influences
Edit: And also a Prog and heavy metal band at times
SP has generally been accessible alt rock/pop/metal music. I guess you can kind of make an argument for Adore but it's not really art band music. It borrows more heavily from the electronica and trip hop genres of the time. None of it has really been avant-garde. I wouldn't even classify anything SP has done as progressive rock. Maybe Machina makes an argument for it, as it borrows heavily from the shoegaze genre.

I don't know, I've just never thought of SP as an art band and I've never seen or heard anyone who does either. So it's kind of weird to see Billy say that he's going to go back to being an art band.

Last edited by Araneae : 12-29-2014 at 05:07 PM. Reason: double quote

Old 12-29-2014, 05:07 PM   #19
Elphenor
Braindead

I think most of his music is pop with a ton of influences from other genres and that's where his commercial success comes from.

But he does have 7+ minute hard Rock and metal epics

Old 12-29-2014, 05:10 PM   #20
Catherine Wheel
Banned

Adore has some art rock moments. Machina is shoegaze. So You can kind of make a case for them being an art band with those two albums.

Old 12-29-2014, 05:10 PM   #21
Araneae
Apocalyptic Poster

I guess it really comes down to Billy's own definition of what art band music means to him (if it's 7+ minutes of hard rock/metal epics or something like AEGEA). If he thinks MTAE is a punch in the face then who knows what direction he's going to take D4N.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catherine Wheel View Post
Adore has some art rock moments. Machina is shoegaze. So You can kind of make a case for them being an art band with those two albums.
That's what I said, but I still think it's kind of a stretch, especially the way he phrased it.

Old 12-29-2014, 05:20 PM   #22
Elphenor
Braindead

The term doesn't really mean anything

But when I think of "Art music" I'm thinking of music that's not necessarily enjoyable in the traditional sense like pop is. It's meant to stretch the boundaries of what's possible in the medium while making some sort of statement.

Old 12-29-2014, 05:27 PM   #23
Araneae
Apocalyptic Poster

I've seen a few attempts at defining the term but it is quite broad. I've seen it more used to describe unconventional themes and unconventional juxtapositions of music genres (i.e. chamber music and rock music).

Old 12-29-2014, 09:17 PM   #24
absof
Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by pavementtune View Post
speaking of soundtracks, I read up on the producer of Manson's new album, Tyler Bates, he also did the Watchmen soundtrack.
Watchmen had a Pumpkins track in the trailer, but it never ended up on the actual soundtrack. Does anybody know why? Seems odd.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Watchme...Motion_Picture
Watchmen was set in the 80's. That's my guess for why it wasn't actually used in the film.
I'm pretty sure the trailer was debuted during screenings of The Dark Knight, too.

Old 12-29-2014, 09:26 PM   #25
Araneae
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by absof View Post
Watchmen was set in the 80's. That's my guess for why it wasn't actually used in the film.
The soundtrack included a song by My Chemical Romance, though it is a Dylan cover. I think it was featured in the end credits.

TEITBITE was made for Batman & Robin, another Warner Bros. film. They must have some usage rights there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by absof View Post
I'm pretty sure the trailer was debuted during screenings of The Dark Knight, too.
It was, that's where I first saw it. I think it was summer of 2008.

Last edited by Araneae : 12-29-2014 at 11:35 PM.

Old 12-29-2014, 09:50 PM   #26
Modern90's
Demi-God

He got really pissed on the last question

Old 12-29-2014, 10:07 PM   #27
seign
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
You are all probably burnt out on hearing Corgan interviews, but this popped up in my youtube recs, and it's actually quite good, in that he answers questions from fans, just like the Reddit AMA.

Just like a reddit AMA only, the questions are screened before hand and only the ones he wants to answer are included so exactly the opposite of what "ask me anything" really means.

Old 12-29-2014, 10:15 PM   #28
SensibleChuckle
Pledge

Quote:
Originally Posted by seign View Post
Just like a reddit AMA only, the questions are screened before hand and only the ones he wants to answer are included so exactly the opposite of what "ask me anything" really means.
Eh, at least Reddit's AMA's are more transparent. In AMA's you are able to ask anything and the answers are mostly spontaneous, but he doesn't have to answer everything. You get to see what the person chose to ignore.

These questions could have been prepared in advance and given to him, there's really no way of knowing.

Old 12-29-2014, 10:47 PM   #29
dreams of glass
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
When was SP ever an "art band?"
his words, not mine.

Old 12-29-2014, 10:50 PM   #30
dreams of glass
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by seign View Post
Semantics, he didn't answer every question on Reddit.