Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Smashing Pumpkins Boards > Smashing Pumpkins/Billy Corgan Discussion
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List

Old 04-19-2023, 06:29 PM   #31
houseofglass11
Minion of Satan

It’s pretty common knowledge that Paul broke up the Beatles isn’t it? Then he went on to have a thoroughly mediocre solo career while John and George released vastly superior material. And no, Macca had the biggest ego in the Beatles. George even once said if given the choice he would never be in a band with Paul again.

Old 04-19-2023, 06:34 PM   #32
TheAlter
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyKeyZ View Post
Ehh, I'm happy to not be a part of that demographic. Foo Fighters are more commercial and radio friendly than Nirvana. I'll take the raw emotion and sound of Nirvana.
For a brief moment at the end of the 90s they kinda "made sense", Nothing left to lose being this brilliant rock record in world of Blinks and Limps. But at that point it was still three friends in a room. I think Dave just let it all go to his head right after that.

Old 04-19-2023, 06:38 PM   #33
TheAlter
Apocalyptic Poster

Understandably they were all a bunch of blowhards by the end of it, but i think it's obvious who broke up the band. John would fucking have Yoko sing during the sessions ffs

Old 04-19-2023, 06:59 PM   #34
houseofglass11
Minion of Satan

Yeah FF were pretty good up through the third album. When that fourth album came out with “All My Life” I was like yeah ok this is douchecore buttrock.

Old 04-19-2023, 07:23 PM   #35
ourruseoffools
Apocalyptic Poster

I really wanted to be a foo fighters hater but colour and the shape has been one of my fav albums recently… still think he only got worse and worse from there and no I am NOT interested in wasting light

Old 04-19-2023, 07:27 PM   #36
ourruseoffools
Apocalyptic Poster

Everlong gets me emotional when I think from a producers perspective because even now 20 some years later it’s still so damn ubiquitous… it came on when I was with my friend in Walmart recently and it literally felt like we were in a movie all of a sudden… they really accomplished something sonically with that song that just works no matter how overplayed

Old 04-19-2023, 08:08 PM   #37
MyOneAndOnly
Shut the fuck up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by houseofglass11 View Post
Yeah FF were pretty good up through the third album. When that fourth album came out with “All My Life” I was like yeah ok this is douchecore buttrock.
It was always douche rock

Old 04-19-2023, 08:18 PM   #38
Machinist
Ownz

On the first few albums it really wasn't. The douche element really came in hard though following the release of the third album.

Old 04-19-2023, 08:25 PM   #39
MyKeyZ
Apocalyptic Poster

The only time I listen to Foo Fighters is when The Prodigy's Remix to White Limo comes on

Old 04-19-2023, 08:58 PM   #40
T&T
Socialphobic

yeah, FF have been an AI version of themselves for many years. DG won't hide that. he does what he does and isn't looking to change the recipe.
despite the alleged ego, he is a nice guy and done nice things.

it's kind of hard to believe a grown adult like TH couldn't just 'quit' the band. I'm not buying it.

the mecca/lennon duo was prodigious songwriting pairing.
I wonder what Cobain/Ghrol co-writing would have been like. I like to think Kurt would have given Dave more and more room to contribute with time.

Old 04-19-2023, 09:25 PM   #41
Joey Goldberg
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ourruseoffools View Post
and no I am NOT interested in wasting light
uh, why?

Old 04-19-2023, 09:25 PM   #42
Joey Goldberg
Minion of Satan

that and the first album are the only two i've heard from FF, can't say there was a huge quality gap between the two. Wasting was quite good tho he obv picked up a thing or two working w/ Josh Homme the times he did

Old 04-19-2023, 09:29 PM   #43
houseofglass11
Minion of Satan

The first FF album and the bsides (Winnebago, Podunk, How I Miss You, etc) were great. I also think that the live lineup with William Goldsmith and Pat Smear was much better than the T-Hawk version tbh.

Old 04-19-2023, 10:26 PM   #44
T&T
Socialphobic

Old 04-19-2023, 10:47 PM   #45
Ram27
dumb

Quote:
Yep. The last Rolling Stone interview with Taylor pretty much confirms that. He said that he didn’t want to go back out on a world tour and that it puts him in a 24/7 state of constant anxiety. He said he enjoyed being home with his family during the pandemic. It sounded like he was over the band, but felt some weird sense of obligation to Dave. Ultimately we saw the end result of the self-medicating he did. I hated that he seemed to be forced back into touring and then Dave got to be the hero with the tribute concert after he died. Fuckin asshole.
i don't understand why grohl wants to keep touring? so he can drink all night? he surely has the money

cobain killed himself rather than do lolla

Old 04-19-2023, 10:47 PM   #46
Ram27
dumb

Quote:
spot on

Nothing Left to Lose was a great great record

Old 04-19-2023, 10:59 PM   #47
MyOneAndOnly
Shut the fuck up!

Is this a Billy hatred forum, or a Dave Grohl circle jerk?

Old 04-19-2023, 11:10 PM   #48
houseofglass11
Minion of Satan

There’s been plenty of hating on Dave in this thread

Old 04-19-2023, 11:56 PM   #49
Joey Goldberg
Minion of Satan

i love how that's the response to that post

as if we have some sort of "hatred quota" we have to fulfill just to keep up the reputation

at what point do we simply & fully embrace the ♥ L O V E ♥

Old 04-19-2023, 11:56 PM   #50
Raskolnikov
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squish Squash View Post
Let’s calm down there, Joseph.
Yeah, I'm no drummer... but let's calm down here. Jimmy can work circles around Grohl on a drum kit.

Old 04-19-2023, 11:57 PM   #51
Raskolnikov
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ram27 View Post
spot on

Nothing Left to Lose was a great great record
Bingo. The third one is the best one.

Old 04-19-2023, 11:57 PM   #52
Joey Goldberg
Minion of Satan

Old 04-20-2023, 01:14 AM   #53
LoveIsSuicide42
Demi-God

Foo Fighters are one of the most boring bands to ever exist. The Colour and the Shape and Wasting Light are both really good as relatively straightforward alt rock records go, but I would take ATUM and Cyr over the rest of their discography hands down.

Old 04-20-2023, 02:04 AM   #54
ilikeplanets
Braindead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey Goldberg View Post
i love how that's the response to that post

as if we have some sort of "hatred quota" we have to fulfill just to keep up the reputation

at what point do we simply & fully embrace the ♥ L O V E ♥
When earned. So, there will be none for Foo Fighters version of Grohl. His switch from Nirvana drummer to Milquetoast Champion of modern rock is about as shocking as the switch from MCIS to ATUM, but Billy's artistic decline has hit many many branches on the way down to new lows.

Old 04-20-2023, 02:56 AM   #55
Fonzie
Dute of Seven Y's

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveIsSuicide42 View Post
Foo Fighters are one of the most boring bands to ever exist. The Colour and the Shape and Wasting Light are both really good as relatively straightforward alt rock records go, but I would take ATUM and Cyr over the rest of their discography hands down.
That’s a hot take right there!

Old 04-20-2023, 04:27 AM   #56
TheAlter
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey Goldberg View Post
that and the first album are the only two i've heard from FF
You might want to consider the possibility to hop in the ratcar and go visit that one neighbour with the “lighted house” for one hour of his Tidal account. You’re missing out on a handful of absolute bangers here.

sorry Joey Goldberg that was rude and i should not have phrased it like that

perhaps if i was not so enraged by the sheer idiocy of your words i... oh goddamn i'm doing it again!!!

Old 04-20-2023, 06:16 AM   #57
ourruseoffools
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyOneAndOnly View Post
Is this a Billy hatred forum, or a Dave Grohl circle jerk?
It’s weird because I seriously dislike him but have lots of good things to say about the songs he released in the 90s… wait are we talking about billy or Dave?

Old 04-20-2023, 07:49 AM   #58
eviltimeban
Apocalyptic Poster

Paul didn't break up the Beatles. John literally broke up the band in September 1969, when at a meeting he announced he wanted a divorce from the band. They didn't announce anything, and there was a sort of a "are they or aren't they" period, where no one really knew what was going on.

In January 1970, Paul, George, and Ringo recorded "I Me Mine", which John was invited to attend, but he was in Denmark and usually liked to absent himself when recording George's songs.

John then released "Instant Karma!" in early 1970, a proper pop song, which made Paul then change his approach to the "McCartney" album from a collection of home made lofi recordings, to record some 'proper' songs (e.g. "Maybe I'm Amazed", "Every Night", "Teddy Boy"). And probably made him realise John was serious about leaving the band.

The press saw the Q&A he included with promo copies of McCartney and assumed the Beatles broke up and made it front page news. So they sort of broke up by accident. The Beatles themselves never announced "we have split". Throughout 1970 both George and Ringo said they would be happy to make more music with the others.

By the time John did his infamous Rolling Stone interview in late 1970, there was no going back. And at that point Paul had to sue the others to get out of his contract, otherwise they would have kept getting a cut of his solo sales.

Oh and btw, "vastly superior material"?? George managed one album (All Things Must Pass) and John managed two (Plastic Ono Band and Imagine). The rest of their albums were decidedly middle of the road.

Paul on the other hand released many quality albums (McCartney, Ram, Band on the Run, Venus and Mars, McCartney II, Tug of War, Flowers in the Dirt, Flaming Pie, Chaos and Creation in the Backyard, McCartney III, to be specific).

Last edited by eviltimeban : 04-20-2023 at 10:53 AM.

Old 04-20-2023, 07:53 AM   #59
TheSultanOfCyr
Ownz

You reckon Macca’s ever heard Quasar?

Old 04-20-2023, 07:56 AM   #60
incubator
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
It’s pretty common knowledge that Paul broke up the Beatles isn’t it?
You're prob the only person who's ever thought that.

Quote:
Then he went on to have a thoroughly mediocre solo career while John and George released vastly superior material. And no, Macca had the biggest ego in the Beatles. George even once said if given the choice he would never be in a band with Paul again.
John had a couple of brilliant albums and a bunch of mediocre ones. People rip Yoko but her songs on Double Fantasy are better than his and it's not even close. George had ATMP I guess...?