Old 02-06-2015, 04:33 PM   #61
Elphenor
Braindead

Sex and Drugs and RockRoll

is very good indeed

Old 02-06-2015, 04:36 PM   #62
Eulogy
huh

What acceptable songs are on Oceania outside of Pale Horse? Which is mostly just inoffensive iirc.

Like. Quasar? Really guys?

Old 02-06-2015, 04:43 PM   #63
Elphenor
Braindead

Quasar is awful, got absolutely neutered in the studio, same with the title track (That fade out ugghh)

Glissandra is cool, Inkless has dumb non-lyrics but the riff and solo jams, Pinwheels has pretty guitar tones, The Chimera is a lot of fun

Old 02-06-2015, 04:45 PM   #64
Elphenor
Braindead

Oceania sounds like early Yes like A LOT spacey proggy but light and airy as well

Old 02-06-2015, 05:24 PM   #65
slunken
Virgo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eulogy View Post
What acceptable songs are on Oceania outside of Pale Horse? ?
no that's it

and i'll kiss anyone this night
this drum and fife
tonight
i feel alright i feel alright
tonight
tonight tonight
ten times removed
this drum and fife
tonight
i'll kiss anyone this night

Old 02-06-2015, 05:25 PM   #66
slunken
Virgo

http://i207.photobucket.com/albums/b...ps6e421ae2.jpg

Old 02-06-2015, 06:33 PM   #67
Trotskilicious
Banned

Location: I believe in the transcendental qualities of friendship.

So much col. Kurtz vibes

Old 02-07-2015, 06:52 AM   #68
teh b0lly!!1
Braindead

Quote:
Originally Posted by reprise85 View Post
cease = seize, yes?
fuck me that wasn't even on purpose

Old 02-07-2015, 06:55 AM   #69
teh b0lly!!1
Braindead

Quote:
Originally Posted by slunken View Post
no that's it

and i'll kiss anyone this night
this drum and fife
tonight
i feel alright i feel alright
tonight
tonight tonight
ten times removed
this drum and fife
tonight
i'll kiss anyone this night
i neva felt so good and right

Old 02-07-2015, 07:56 AM   #70
Lucky Day Spa
mirrar quit netphoria

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eulogy View Post
What acceptable songs are on Oceania outside of Pale Horse? Which is mostly just inoffensive iirc.

Like. Quasar? Really guys?
OKAY EVERYONE HERE'S MY EXTREMELY BELATED TRACK-BY-TRACK REVIEW OF THIS ALBUM

quasar: an easy skip. nothing new here

panopticon: verse starts out bloated, and overwrought later in the song when it takes that chromatic descent. prechorus (0:43) is lovely, chorus is perfunctory but pretty cool whenever it appears. mix is really muddy and doesn't help the arrangement which is overly dense

the celestials: i dig the start of this song. great vocal performance from bill. elegant string/mellotron arrangements, 101% silliness aside. crinkly bass and electric guitar dynamic lifts work really well. then the distortion kicks in and i'm like, uh, you killed the song man what's this bullshit – in isolation, 2:23 onwards would be pretty satisfying but come on we just listened to this ornate delicate thing what's with the rock bullshit, i mean yeah you can do that if you've written your lyrics carefully but this ain't your mother's to sheila

violet rays: oh good synth arpeggios. someone's been playing with a limiter. the production on this sounds busted. like, the guitars are in another building, or something. bill sounds good, and it's a decent enough song, I THINK?! i dunno, it's not surprising. i of the mourning by way of tom petty or something. that bridge is killer Songwriting Tricks 101. i love it. seriously. this is an impressive song. the kind that i wish i'd written. but i hate it for some reason

my love is winter: i love how late the bass is when it really counts. that must really piss bill off if/when he listens back to this. this is better than all the bits of zeitgeist that tried to be mainstream pop-rock, in the same way that stand inside your love angled for whatever the fuck it was angling for in 2,000. trouble is, bill sounds bored. if you sing "my love is lost", man – especially when your performance doesn't imply that you give a shit either way – you can't keep running through the same chord progression for a few bars and then go back to your lazy prechorus from a minute earlier. well okay, you can, that's your right as an american or whatever, but it's shit songwriting

one diamond, one heart: bill does latter-day u2/coldplay but somehow does it right where they totally fucked the dog. yeah, i know, it doesn't sound like either of those bands. bear me out. i think this is a brave and excellent song. sorry, haters. here's no way you write this and record it and think your core fans are going to like it. yeah, the whole thing is wrapped around that sugary chorus but there's a surprising amount of subtlety hiding in the verses. i could take or leave the ostinato synths which sound unavoidably cheesy and it ends badly and the lyrics are lazy as hell but eh i still like it fuck you jerks

pinwheels: starts off sounding like a synth demo that kevin from the back office decided to lay some guitars over the top of. my principle regret in listening to this is that it never segues into wake me up before you go go. then it gets into some very pretty but obviously regressive siamese-dreamy-luna harmony that promises much but then beats you over the head with more kevin bullshit

oceania: i'm so alone, so alone. and you're still writing this at 40-something-whatever? come on, man. grow up. anyway, this starts off like sub-machina plod, then hits a chorus that doesn't really sit with anything else the pumpkins have done, which makes it pretty awesome IMHO, and kind of goes from there. i like the vocal harmonies, dynamic shifts and melodic surprises… but then it has to go and pull its own "HEY LOOKEE HERE" with the chimes and the 12-string. which sounds great. but i have no idea what this is doing here. goddamn those vocal harmonies sound good… but what are they doing here? what's going on? oh, it's done. fade in the next bit. plucky bass and synths. queensryche? is this a queensryche song? silent lucidity? i could use some of that right now

pale horse: thorazine. yeah, not-so-good-verses. fuck though, that prechorus is pretty. adore-calibre. and i love the instrumental parts, and the "so many lies" quiet vocal overlays. reverse cymbals are cool, too. "please come back" and thereon kind of loses me; i think it's the plosiveness and the lack of passion in the singing

the chimera: guitarmonies remind me of frail and bedazzled but otherwise it's an extracurricular self-pastiche from someone who's almost universally otherwise said fuck you homework

glissandra: this puts me in mind of other mid-tempo pumpkins songs from the past that have, to some degree, suffered from the aesthetic constraints of their parent album. "my love is winter" is another oceania track that would be more expressive with less going on, but so would this, and "bleeding the orchid", and "stand inside your love".

inkless: pumpkins weezer

wildflower: i appreciate that this is texturally different from the rest of the album but ultimately it's like "pomp and circumstance" on zeitgeist; it doesn't fit, it's not terribly interesting, and it bares a striking resemblance to at least one popular disney film soundtrack

Last edited by Lucky Day Spa : 02-14-2015 at 05:25 AM.

Old 02-07-2015, 07:57 AM   #71
Lucky Day Spa
mirrar quit netphoria

probably the last time i'm going to listen to that album. feels… eh

Old 02-07-2015, 08:01 AM   #72
Lucky Day Spa
mirrar quit netphoria

i tried listening to zeitgeist just now but i cracked up at "GAS MASKS ON!" and had to stop

Old 02-07-2015, 08:37 AM   #73
Lucky Day Spa
mirrar quit netphoria

palate cleanser: starlight mints, "the dream that stuff was made of"

bloody excellent album

Old 02-07-2015, 09:47 AM   #74
Elphenor
Braindead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky Day Spa View Post
one diamond, one heart: bill does latter-day u2/coldplay but somehow does it right where they totally fucked the dog. yeah, i know, it doesn't sound like either of those bands. bear me out. i think this is a brave and excellent song. sorry, haters. here's no way you write this and record it and think your core fans are going to like it. yeah, the whole thing is wrapped around that sugary chorus but there's a surprising amount of subtlety hiding in the verses. i could take or leave the ostinato synths which sound unavoidably cheesy and it ends badly and the lyrics are lazy as hell but eh i still like it fuck you jerks
I really agree with this

Old 02-07-2015, 12:59 PM   #75
run2pee
Minion of Satan

Agree about one diamond, especially your "brave" comment. To me it's the sound of bill giving less fucks. I feel similarly about run2me. Even if I don't like it as much, it's brave, which I can respect more than chickenshit warmed-over worn-out "sp" tricks.

Old 02-07-2015, 01:13 PM   #76
yo soy el mejor
Just Hook it to My Veins!

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky Day Spa View Post
palate cleanser: starlight mints, "the dream that stuff was made of"

bloody excellent album

ugh i love the starlight mints

thanks for reminding me

Old 02-07-2015, 01:51 PM   #77
Eulogy
huh

Maybe I should try Oceania again? I could never even get through it. It's almost as though it doesn't exist in my mind.

Old 02-07-2015, 01:51 PM   #78
Eulogy
huh

Def the only album I can't give you a track list for

Old 02-07-2015, 01:59 PM   #79
Elphenor
Braindead

Nah you should honestly listen to a different band

Old 02-07-2015, 05:36 PM   #80
Trotskilicious
Banned

Location: I believe in the transcendental qualities of friendship.

ThE kid is right