davin
Physiopathic Paralysis

Default another lawsuit...Corgan sues videographer

http://www.chicagotribune.com/busine...,2519532.story

Billy Corgan sues Gurnee filmmaker
Smashing Pumpkins lead singer charges the work's unsatisfactory
By Ameet Sachdev | Tribune reporter
4:06 PM CDT, July 29, 2008
Billy Corgan, lead singer of the Smashing Pumpkins, has sued a Gurnee filmmaker because he is unhappy with the work the man produced. The singer also claims the filmmaker refuses to turn over all of the footage he shot unless he receives more money.

Corgan is seeking more than $100,000 in damages from Lester Cohn of Pure DV Productions, according to the suit filed July 22 in Lake County.

The singer said he paid Cohn to videotape some of his concerts and studio sessions from 2003 through at least 2005. At the time Corgan was performing as a solo act and with other musicians, according to his lawyer Marc Silver of Barnes & Thornburg.

Corgan planned to use the footage to create works in different media, Silver said. But Cohn allegedly has provided only a portion of the footage, which Corgan said in the suit "was completely unsatisfactory and not completed in a professional, workmanlike manner in accordance with the standards of a music filmmaker."

Corgan said in the suit that Cohn misrepresented his filmmaking expertise and does not deserve the money he was paid. The singer also would like the rest of the footage, which he charged Cohn is holding hostage.

"Mr. Corgan is trying to obtain what's rightfully his in a format that was promised," Silver said.

Phone calls to Cohn and his attorney were not immediately returned.

The Smashing Pumpkins are scheduled to play a host of shows in the coming months to celebrate their 20th anniversary.

god damn, all this non-music related bullshit sucks.

Old 07-29-2008, 05:45 PM   #2
MonteLDS
*sigh*

maybe this lawsuit will help pay for any money virgin might have to request back after Iha and D'arcy win their case

Old 07-29-2008, 05:46 PM   #3
Caine Walker
Braindead

god, you're stupid.

Old 07-29-2008, 05:48 PM   #4
Slurpee
Minion of Satan

Wow, maybe if this gets resolved we'll actually get a proper studio release of the Chicago songs?

And I here I thought the only reason Billy hadn't released them - which, IMHO, are the best songs he's written since 2000 - was because he was crazy and thought they were too personal.

Old 07-29-2008, 05:50 PM   #5
laaazy
Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slurpee View Post
Wow, maybe if this gets resolved we'll actually get a proper studio release of the Chicago songs?
doubt it

but hopefully

Old 07-29-2008, 05:51 PM   #6
mayday
Apocalyptic Poster

wait so he wants his money back? you never ever pay people in full until the job is completed and are you are satisfied.
well i hope he sorts it out.

Old 07-29-2008, 05:55 PM   #7
Caine Walker
Braindead

yeah, god's gonna smite that guy for not doing his best for billy.

Old 07-29-2008, 05:57 PM   #8
T&T
Socialphobic

i hope something from this gets released.
at least.

Old 07-29-2008, 05:57 PM   #9
Esty
Netphorian of the Decade

This is the perfect chance for those dumbfucks who "broke into" the bands place and stole pictures to redeem themselves.

Davin, find out where this video faggot lives and give the guys the address. I'm sure the bald bastard will be happy.

Don't you just hate videographers? Always thinking they are better than other people when really, they are just fucking useless pieces of shit?

"Look at me, I can hold a camera. dur dur dur"

Old 07-29-2008, 05:59 PM   #10
davin
Physiopathic Paralysis

Quote:

And I here I thought the only reason Billy hadn't released them - which, IMHO, are the best songs he's written since 2000 - was because he was crazy and thought they were too personal.
yea, i was thinking the same thing. but i thought corgan was not releasing them because he felt they didn't "turn out right" or somethign like that....maybe it does have to do with the shit with lester.

from what i know of these kinds of things, which isn't much, it kinda reads to me like maybe the footage is all he's really after, not the money. they seem to have gone out of their way to mention the footage being held hostage repeatedly in their comments, which makes me think they would rather have that as part of a settlement vs. the money. maybe?

Old 07-29-2008, 06:01 PM   #11
Caine Walker
Braindead

maybe he'd be too busy to be a mod, then.

Old 07-29-2008, 06:02 PM   #12
Esty
Netphorian of the Decade

Quote:

I thought bill said he wasn't going to release them because his fanbase is too stupid and wouldn't appreciate them like Adore.

Old 07-29-2008, 06:04 PM   #13
Ol' Couch Ass
Socialphobic

I think that all these lawsuits make it abundantly clear that Corgan has turned his back on Jesus and is now a Scientologist.

Old 07-29-2008, 06:07 PM   #14
Esty
Netphorian of the Decade

Yeah, I loved his excuse about how people don't listen to albums anymore so he's just going to stop doing them.

I mean, how fucking pathetic. How about your "true" fans? Don't they listen to albums? Maybe the assholes who show up based on your radio singles don't give a fuck but what about the people that really matter? What about them? He spends too much time trying to please the casuals that he fucks his real supporters.

Its not just his fault. His real supporters are too goddamn stupid to see this and keep shelling out their money.

Old 07-29-2008, 06:13 PM   #15
MonteLDS
*sigh*

Quote:
Originally Posted by ciGarski View Post
why would he want the rest of the footage when the footage he got was so unsatisfactory he's filing suit because of it.

"these videos suck. give me the rest".
he might be talking about the video editing could of had an effect on how it looked.

but garbage in garbage out

Old 07-29-2008, 06:17 PM   #16
vbshlofbvgos
Apocalyptic Poster

oh billy

Old 07-29-2008, 06:23 PM   #17
Esty
Netphorian of the Decade

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonteLDS View Post
but garbage in garbage out
Like most of your videos huh monte

Old 07-29-2008, 06:25 PM   #18
Rider
Minion of Satan

Location: I was born a snake handler, and I'll die a snake handler

LOL that's the bastard that accused me of stealing the taproot video.

Old 07-29-2008, 06:39 PM   #19
Ol' Couch Ass
Socialphobic

Quote:
that doesn't make a lick of sense oca.
It's a bit of a thinker. Reflect on it for a bit and get back to me, I think you'll be pleasantly surprised. ::uffs on pipe:::

Old 07-29-2008, 06:53 PM   #20
davin
Physiopathic Paralysis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esty View Post
Yeah, I loved his excuse about how people don't listen to albums anymore so he's just going to stop doing them.

I mean, how fucking pathetic. How about your "true" fans? Don't they listen to albums? Maybe the assholes who show up based on your radio singles don't give a fuck but what about the people that really matter? What about them? He spends too much time trying to please the casuals that he fucks his real supporters.

Its not just his fault. His real supporters are too goddamn stupid to see this and keep shelling out their money.
its statistically true that single songs sell on itunes more than whole albums. its also statistically true, based on major music magazines ranking single song downloads and individual tracks from albums seperately (it used to just be singles and albums, no even non-single album tracks get singled out).

this is just an approach. they'er gonna piece meal the songs and construct the album later. just not lock themselves in a room and close the door on a "style" or "body of work" and not re-emerge until its done. this will allow for more flexibility.

and yes, for the record, i prefer albums. and also for the record, i wish billy would give up on main-stram mass success. i have commented several times before that i would love them to continue on with a strong but loyal following, like a band like WEEN for example, who can sell out shows and play smaller venues and actually benefit from being non-mainstream...not be confined by it. however, we all know this is not good enough for billy. he wants to be like U2.

and therein lies the duality. i simultaneously think they're grandeur and epic KISS-like nature lends itself better to mainstream success. that showmanship stuff doesn't work as well on a smaller scale.

Old 07-29-2008, 07:02 PM   #21
Esty
Netphorian of the Decade

Quote:
Originally Posted by davin View Post
its statistically true that single songs sell on itunes more than whole albums. its also statistically true, based on major music magazines ranking single song downloads and individual tracks from albums seperately (it used to just be singles and albums, no even non-single album tracks get singled out).

this is just an approach. they'er gonna piece meal the songs and construct the album later. just not lock themselves in a room and close the door on a "style" or "body of work" and not re-emerge until its done. this will allow for more flexibility.

and yes, for the record, i prefer albums. and also for the record, i wish billy would give up on main-stram mass success. i have commented several times before that i would love them to continue on with a strong but loyal following, like a band like WEEN for example, who can sell out shows and play smaller venues and actually benefit from being non-mainstream...not be confined by it. however, we all know this is not good enough for billy. he wants to be like U2.

and therein lies the duality. i simultaneously think they're grandeur and epic KISS-like nature lends itself better to mainstream success. that showmanship stuff doesn't work as well on a smaller scale.
This is pretty much covered by what I said before.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esty View Post

Old 07-29-2008, 07:16 PM   #22
davin
Physiopathic Paralysis

Quote:
yeah but ween never had the success like the pumpkins. low key bands like that who never touched the threshold of musical world domination are pointless to compare to the pumpkins.
i suppose you have a point there, however i would argue that SP has always skirted that fine line. they're not like your typical world dominating mass appeal band my any means.

sure, they have massively successful singles, yet always had weird, uncommon material on all their albums. you always had the moments at shows, in every era, be it silverfuck, starla, of whatever, where the mass public is just confused by what they are hearing. thats what made them great, they had world domination but in some ways, there music was too good/non-conformist for that.

i think they could pull it off if they stopped aiming so high. then like last time, success would just come naturally when the public decides to fucking wake up and take notice. and if not, who cares, they just press on.

Old 07-29-2008, 09:28 PM   #23
toadkat9
Pledge

Quote:
Originally Posted by T&T View Post
i hope something from this gets released.
at least.
uhhh. Most likely not. That's probably why Billy wants ALL of the footage. Because he wants to make sure none of that footage ever sees the light of day. If he's seen some of the footage and is un-satisfied... it means he doesn't want it being released.

Last edited by toadkat9 : 07-29-2008 at 09:29 PM. Reason: sp

Old 07-29-2008, 09:39 PM   #24
Ramdust
Apocalyptic Poster

What's going on?

Old 07-29-2008, 11:14 PM   #25
toadkat9
Pledge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramdust View Post
What's going on?
This thread is hardley over 1 page long. Read page one.

Old 07-29-2008, 11:47 PM   #26
slunken
Virgo

this is a good format; every other page should be a recap of the one preceding it

Old 07-30-2008, 12:29 AM   #27
Dajjal
Pledge

So why wait until now to sue? I'm guessing the statute of limitations must be up, but why wasn't action taken earlier?

Old 07-30-2008, 12:56 AM   #28
tcm
Braindead

Arrow

there's no statute of limitations ON MURDER

Old 07-30-2008, 12:56 AM   #29
stumpycat
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
corgan looking for a new videographer.

somewhere, monte's little pecker just sprung to attention
Hah! probably. Still I'm inclined to believe that as "sue happy" as all this seems, there's truth in jack-offs presenting themselves as "professionals"...probably quite a lot in the entertainment and media-related industry, actually. It's not like there's such thing as a PhD that one must possess to represent themselves as a videographer. (So Monte could probably just as well do it as some of the professionals out there.) Billy is well known for having the mentality of a demanding perfectionist, too.

Old 07-30-2008, 02:33 AM   #30
DrumSynch Error
Amish Rake Fighter

doesn't he post here under dr. benway? or was that just the z-board?