Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Archives > Pumpkins Archive
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 04-19-2010, 05:46 PM   #31
slunken
Virgo

TBH if I had my laptop I woulda been all over these 7"s. No homo.

Old 05-01-2010, 01:29 PM   #32
songs by mister
Amish Rake Fighter

paid $10 for the chicago 7" and $77 for the LA 7". really not a fan of what record store day is turning into. it's gone from an attempt to expose record stores to new people to an attempt to bleed dry the people who already frequent them.

Old 05-01-2010, 06:26 PM   #33
Pizza Club
Apocalyptic Poster

No one made you buy anything.

Old 05-02-2010, 01:51 AM   #34
songs by mister
Amish Rake Fighter

did anybody say that someone made me buy something?

:::scratches head:::

Old 05-02-2010, 02:34 AM   #35
redbull
Immortal

Quote:
Originally Posted by songs by mister View Post
paid $10 for the chicago 7" and $77 for the LA 7". really not a fan of what record store day is turning into. it's gone from an attempt to expose record stores to new people to an attempt to bleed dry the people who already frequent them.
maybe if you're buying pumpkins shit, yeah. otherwise, that's pretty much bullshit

Old 05-02-2010, 11:49 AM   #36
Pizza Club
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:

:::scratches head:::
Shut up and stop complaining. No one is getting bled dry. No one made you spend $77 on ebay. You're complaining over something you have complete control over.

Old 05-02-2010, 11:52 AM   #37
slunken
Virgo

No he's talking about how the record store day IN GENERAL has become an event to bleed regular record shop goers dry, as opposed to introducing new people to record stores, which was the original intent. I have to agree.

Him paying @ $100 for 2 sucky 7"s is just ancillary to that fact.

Old 05-03-2010, 02:34 AM   #38
songs by mister
Amish Rake Fighter

thank you slunken. the first record store day focused more on free records much like free comic book day, which is intended to encourage new people to visit comic book stores.

the first record store day only had 10 exclusive releases and they were not intentionally super limited to cause consumers headaches.

two years later, record store day has 150 exclusive releases, many of which were intentionally under pressed.

while i have complete control over whether or not i choose to pay inflated prices from resellers, i have no control over the fact that an item i wanted was intentionally pressed in small quantities to generate hype.

i personally am very fortunate to be able to afford to spend a few hundred on records every week, so record store day didn't necessarily put a dent in my wallet compared to the week before or the week after, but that doesn't mean i agree with the direction RSD has gone in.

if you disagree with my opinion, that's cool. but there's no need to be rude or hostile simply because i'm a stranger on the internet. would you be so unkind if we were having this conversation in person?

Old 05-03-2010, 08:23 AM   #39
Rider
Minion of Satan

Location: I was born a snake handler, and I'll die a snake handler

Quote:
thank you slunken. the first record store day focused more on free records much like free comic book day, which is intended to encourage new people to visit comic book stores.

the first record store day only had 10 exclusive releases and they were not intentionally super limited to cause consumers headaches.

two years later, record store day has 150 exclusive releases, many of which were intentionally under pressed.

while i have complete control over whether or not i choose to pay inflated prices from resellers, i have no control over the fact that an item i wanted was intentionally pressed in small quantities to generate hype.

i personally am very fortunate to be able to afford to spend a few hundred on records every week, so record store day didn't necessarily put a dent in my wallet compared to the week before or the week after, but that doesn't mean i agree with the direction RSD has gone in.

if you disagree with my opinion, that's cool. but there's no need to be rude or hostile simply because i'm a stranger on the internet. would you be so unkind if we were having this conversation in person?
For 20 years the entire vinyl record market has been based purely on collecting and limited quantiles. Stop crying about limited editions it's what made buying 7' records fun in the first place. If labels like Sub Pop, Merge and Tsunami had not been creating limited edition records 20 years ago no one would be collecting them.

Old 05-03-2010, 09:00 AM   #40
slunken
Virgo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rider View Post
For 20 years the entire vinyl record market has been based purely on collecting and limited quantiles. Stop crying about limited editions it's what made buying 7' records fun in the first place. If labels like Sub Pop, Merge and Tsunami had not been creating limited edition records 20 years ago no one would be collecting them.
entirely? purely? really?

Old 05-03-2010, 10:47 AM   #41
songs by mister
Amish Rake Fighter

rider, for 20 years quantities have been limited because demand was limited. an unknown band isn't pressing 500 copies to cause an instant sell out, they're pressing 500 copies because that is plenty to satisfy demand. sub pop is in the business of selling as many records as they can. they would have gone out of business a long time ago if they purposely under pressed major releases. you're way off base man.

Old 05-04-2010, 04:16 PM   #42
Rider
Minion of Satan

Quote:
rider, for 20 years quantities have been limited because demand was limited. an unknown band isn't pressing 500 copies to cause an instant sell out, they're pressing 500 copies because that is plenty to satisfy demand. sub pop is in the business of selling as many records as they can. they would have gone out of business a long time ago if they purposely under pressed major releases. you're way off base man.
No quantities were purposefully limited. Watch the movie Hype! they very clearly explain why the 7" market was designed by sub pop to be a limited edition frenzy market. There was always a demand. Limited editions, subscription clubs... It was all to create a collectors market.

Old 05-04-2010, 04:48 PM   #43
Rider
Minion of Satan

Old 05-05-2010, 08:31 AM   #44
slunken
Virgo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rider View Post
the 7" market was designed by sub pop
You're really talking about a very small piece of a much bigger pie is all.

But now that you mentioned HYPE I wanna listen to Dead Moon all day.

Old 05-05-2010, 10:48 AM   #45
Rider
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by slunken View Post
You're really talking about a very small piece of a much bigger pie is all.

But now that you mentioned HYPE I wanna listen to Dead Moon all day.
Yes and that piece took over and became basically the entire market over the past 20 years. Trust me without collectors the market would be dead.

But the main point is they have been purposely putting out collectors only limited runs of vinyl for at least 20 years. This is in no way some new concept for record store day.

Old 05-05-2010, 11:37 AM   #46
slunken
Virgo

I know that when I started buying vinyl it had absolutely nothing to do with the fact that I thought the records may or may not be an investment (ie - worth more in the future) because of it's collectability or its limited-run nature. I've never bought a record because there were only 200 made, as opposed to 2 million. If it has good jams I'll buy it.

Old 05-05-2010, 05:07 PM   #47
Cool As Ice Cream
Just Hook it to My Veins!

Quote:
no. why? did anybody say so?

(repeat endlessly.)

Old 05-05-2010, 05:11 PM   #48
Rider
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by slunken View Post
I know that when I started buying vinyl it had absolutely nothing to do with the fact that I thought the records may or may not be an investment (ie - worth more in the future) because of it's collectability or its limited-run nature. I've never bought a record because there were only 200 made, as opposed to 2 million. If it has good jams I'll buy it.
I know when I started buying 7" records I bought bands I loved, but the fact that the merge catalog would have things crossed out in it and second pressings and limited editions made me a fanatic about it.

I've never bought anything simply because it's collectible, I either like the music or like the design in some way.

Old 05-07-2010, 08:09 PM   #49
werideatdusk
Ownz

Unhappy Anyone actually listen to these?

Anyone actually listen to these?

I put on "A Song for a Son" and was underwhelmed with the quality. A lot of the texture of the guitars and keyboard/organs was lost on me, compared with the digital. The rhythm section sounded pretty round and thick, but it wasnt a worthy trade off. Also, on the 7" it fades out around the 4 minute mark.

I feel a lot less driven to try to get the "Astral Planes" one now.