Netphoria Message Board


Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > General Boards > General Chat Message Board
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-27-2021, 08:08 PM   #1
vixnix
Socialphobic
 
vixnix's Avatar
 
Location: we are champions, bathed in the heat of a thousand flame wars in the grim future of the internet there is only netphoria
Posts: 12,147
Default Have you ever felt good after a job interview

Just wanna know if that’s a thing

In this last one they asked me to describe a significant recent achievement in my personal life

I described…getting a job

Please form an orderly queue folks, I can’t work for all of you

If you need me, I will be in this same job, eating my feelings

 
vixnix is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2021, 08:59 PM   #2
MyOneAndOnly
Shut the fuck up!
 
MyOneAndOnly's Avatar
 
Location: "Okay, white power feminist" - yo soy el mejor
Posts: 22,756
Default

I interviewed with at least a dozen companies this year. It was nerve wracking and unpleasant. I hated most of it. The only interviews i did that i really felt good about were companies that i had to say no to because the pay was too low.

I think i did 10+ hours of interviews for my current job. I never want to go through that again.

 
MyOneAndOnly is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2021, 11:16 PM   #3
butthurt
Apocalyptic Poster
 
butthurt's Avatar
 
Location: on the internet
Posts: 1,910
Default

The only person who has ever felt good after a job interview is Nimrod's Son.

 
butthurt is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2021, 12:53 AM   #4
Ram27
dumb
 
Ram27's Avatar
 
Location: corgan cult
Posts: 8,863
Default

no

job interviews are fucking trash. i mean i get why they have to exist but all the hyper-wankoff corporate meaningless standards and etiquettes you have to meet just to say 'pls gib money' is very dumb

furthermore society should divide into two factions - those who are comfortable and personable in these situations and don't have social anxiety, and the rest of us.

 
Ram27 is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2021, 12:56 AM   #5
Shallowed
Braindead
 
Shallowed's Avatar
 
Posts: 18,370
Default


 
Shallowed is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2021, 10:59 AM   #6
topleybird
Janis Jopleybird
 
topleybird's Avatar
 
Location: Let me see the booty hop. And now make the booty stop. Now drop, and do the booty wop.
Posts: 4,849
Angry

Most behavioral questions are such bullshit. There is no way that asking about an achievement in your personal life is going to tell the interviewer anything about you, other than you know how to play the interview game. Yes, I've prepared 20 extensive answers in STAR format, which indicates I'm perfect for this barista position. Or, what, I'm good at storytelling? That's a crucial skill for a web developer.

I did come away feeling pretty good about the many interviews I did for my current job, particularly the last round, where I talked to three people in a row for half an hour each. I'm certain they deliberately did this to make it as stressful as possible, which is ridiculous because the job involves very little stress. I'd prepared for like three full days before this and had fortunately guessed correctly about most of the questions they ended up asking. But otherwise, no, I've always come out of previous interviews feeling like shit, ultimately successful or not, which I have sometimes suspected was the interviewer's goal for some reason.

 
topleybird is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2021, 11:50 AM   #7
yo soy el mejor
Just Hook it to My Veins!
 
yo soy el mejor's Avatar
 
Location: all over the Internet
Posts: 43,834
Default

;_; <--that's how i feel about interviews

i have another meeting with the community arts center tomorrow and the pay is hot, but i think i might turn it down if offered because i am afraid of the responsibility and possible failure that comes along with a director role and that much money (i'm a freak, i know). i have a second interview with another community center to be associate director. the pay is 25k less, but i still have never made that much money in my life and i'd be more comfortable with some tutelage and working up to a higher role. interviews are just 'opportunities' to be judged by strangers and who the fuck likes that?

 
yo soy el mejor is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2021, 06:03 PM   #8
reprise85
BOTTLEG ILLEGAL
 
reprise85's Avatar
 
Location: I'm faced with so many changes that I just might change my face
Posts: 32,409
Default

i didn't have to interview for my jobs, I just constantly get audited for quality and have to periodically take skill check tests for one of them. obv freelance.

interviews suck though. i only ever felt good about one, the first one I did after not working for like 5 years because of depression. i knew I nailed it and it was nice knowing I could present myself well

 
reprise85 is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2021, 07:19 PM   #9
ovary
Ownz
 
Posts: 521
Default

i kind of like them. very exciting. kind of a rush.

 
ovary is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2021, 07:28 PM   #10
yo soy el mejor
Just Hook it to My Veins!
 
yo soy el mejor's Avatar
 
Location: all over the Internet
Posts: 43,834
Default

you must work in HR

 
yo soy el mejor is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2021, 07:32 PM   #11
ilikeplanets
Socialphobic
 
ilikeplanets's Avatar
 
Location: Ignore List
Posts: 14,316
Default

I only feel good after an interview because it's over. I'd rather have constant quality checks and qualification quizzes than traditional interviews, which is what I do to retain my current jobs/contract. I only have to communicate with someone about technical issues. I can do the work but suck at explaining why I can in a way that doesn't seem to making fun of the question.

 
ilikeplanets is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2021, 08:10 PM   #12
teh b0lly!!1
Braindead
 
teh b0lly!!1's Avatar
 
Location: PROWLING THE BADLANDS
Posts: 16,538
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by vixnix View Post
Just wanna know if that’s a thing

In this last one they asked me to describe a significant recent achievement in my personal life

I described…getting a job

Please form an orderly queue folks, I can’t work for all of you

If you need me, I will be in this same job, eating my feelings
sorry vix

it's cool tho, i think not doing great in job interviews means you're actually a real and decent person and not some modern shitstain psychopath equipped to ace these completely meaningless constructs

what gave you the impression the interviewer didn't appreciate your answer, anyway? did he give you the stink eye?

 
teh b0lly!!1 is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2021, 08:22 PM   #13
teh b0lly!!1
Braindead
 
teh b0lly!!1's Avatar
 
Location: PROWLING THE BADLANDS
Posts: 16,538
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by reprise85 View Post
i didn't have to interview for my jobs, I just constantly get audited for quality and have to periodically take skill check tests for one of them. obv freelance.

interviews suck though. i only ever felt good about one, the first one I did after not working for like 5 years because of depression. i knew I nailed it and it was nice knowing I could present myself well
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovary View Post
i kind of like them. very exciting. kind of a rush.
definitely the best way to go about it is going in like you don't give a shit about their answer

it's harder to do when you actually really really need the job, ofc, but having that swagger like you're the one interviewing THEM is so much more powerful. inversely, the more you come in showing dependency and tremor at their every nuance, the more they get a power trip over you that if you stay really quiet and pay attention you can actually feel growing a little larger in every passing moment

 
teh b0lly!!1 is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2021, 08:23 PM   #14
ovary
Ownz
 
Posts: 521
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by yo soy el mejor View Post
you must work in HR
fun fact: there is not one hr officer in the united states that prefers the soft fluff of peat to the crass splash of the water toilet

 
ovary is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2021, 08:24 PM   #15
teh b0lly!!1
Braindead
 
teh b0lly!!1's Avatar
 
Location: PROWLING THE BADLANDS
Posts: 16,538
Default

people are generally fucking cunt scum filth filled skin bags and I am very much done with this planet

however my heart is filled with love

 
teh b0lly!!1 is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2021, 08:27 PM   #16
ovary
Ownz
 
Posts: 521
Default

and also yes the goal is to take control of the conversation when you are coming in as a big underdog. it is a fun challenge and feels great when it works. i have failed miserably a couple times but it didn't really bother me because i'll never see those fuck shits again

 
ovary is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2021, 08:31 PM   #17
ovary
Ownz
 
Posts: 521
Default

gotta walk in and plop your balls down on the table and be like "hello sirs i've come here today so you can evaluate this fine pair of testicles"

 
ovary is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2021, 08:43 PM   #18
yo soy el mejor
Just Hook it to My Veins!
 
yo soy el mejor's Avatar
 
Location: all over the Internet
Posts: 43,834
Default

woof woof woof

 
yo soy el mejor is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2021, 10:48 PM   #19
Dogfighter28
ILL KILL UR DOG
 
Dogfighter28's Avatar
 
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 11,444
Default

I would absolutely love it if I could do only behavioral interviews. They feel quite natural if the job is a good fit and I want to work with the people at the company.

Unfortunately, as a software engineer, the process is incredibly stressful and time consuming. I would say a minimum of three rounds of interviews - on standard 30 min chat, a second hour long technical screen, and then typically at least 3-4 hours onsite meeting with different people who are grilling you with technical questions every hour. Sometimes with a lunch thrown in.

The technical parts are usually you being presented with some sort of logic puzzle you've never seen before and having to solve it on a timer. This wouldn't be so bad by itself, but you've got the interviewer asking you about your thought process and how you decided to code things a certain way. It's hell for someone with any type of attention problems.

It also gets my goat that once you get into these engineering positions, you will never again in all your time work on something remotely resembling a logic problem. You'll be dealing with working with teammates, building UI stuff, setting up IT infrastructure stuff and solving mundane problems with how to test and deploy code.

I've had to go through it before, but I was laid off during COVID and am just now getting ready to crunch through talking to companies. Very nervous. Nothing feels worse than bombing a technical interview to me. It's awful.

So yeah, being asked about my strengths and weaknesses as a leader or whatever bullshit, bring it on.

 
Dogfighter28 is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2021, 10:51 PM   #20
Dogfighter28
ILL KILL UR DOG
 
Dogfighter28's Avatar
 
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 11,444
Default

I've heard the flight attendant positions are highly competitive and the interviews are awful. They basically pit everyone against each other in a giant room, call you in one by one and cut people every hour like on a reality show.

 
Dogfighter28 is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2021, 11:59 PM   #21
reprise85
BOTTLEG ILLEGAL
 
reprise85's Avatar
 
Location: I'm faced with so many changes that I just might change my face
Posts: 32,409
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogfighter28 View Post
I would absolutely love it if I could do only behavioral interviews. They feel quite natural if the job is a good fit and I want to work with the people at the company.

Unfortunately, as a software engineer, the process is incredibly stressful and time consuming. I would say a minimum of three rounds of interviews - on standard 30 min chat, a second hour long technical screen, and then typically at least 3-4 hours onsite meeting with different people who are grilling you with technical questions every hour. Sometimes with a lunch thrown in.

The technical parts are usually you being presented with some sort of logic puzzle you've never seen before and having to solve it on a timer. This wouldn't be so bad by itself, but you've got the interviewer asking you about your thought process and how you decided to code things a certain way. It's hell for someone with any type of attention problems.

It also gets my goat that once you get into these engineering positions, you will never again in all your time work on something remotely resembling a logic problem. You'll be dealing with working with teammates, building UI stuff, setting up IT infrastructure stuff and solving mundane problems with how to test and deploy code.

I've had to go through it before, but I was laid off during COVID and am just now getting ready to crunch through talking to companies. Very nervous. Nothing feels worse than bombing a technical interview to me. It's awful.

So yeah, being asked about my strengths and weaknesses as a leader or whatever bullshit, bring it on.
Good luck with your interviews

 
reprise85 is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2021, 12:44 AM   #22
vixnix
Socialphobic
 
vixnix's Avatar
 
Location: we are champions, bathed in the heat of a thousand flame wars in the grim future of the internet there is only netphoria
Posts: 12,147
Default

Thanks for the commiserations everyone

My current job had a 2-hour assessment centre/group interview - there were 2 groups of 12, and we had a couple of quite excruciating tasks to do - collaborating and competing simultaneously, while 5-6 members of the team circled the room and made notes. Then the callbacks each had a 1 hour panel interview.

Job before that had an initial phone interview, then online screening tests for typing, logic and behaviour… then an assessment centre with an email writing task and a role played phone call, then a behavioural interview, and then a panel interview - that was for a govt call centre. A call centre! On basically minimum wage. We were hired on six month contracts and then every three months they would release another 5 permanent positions and we’d all have to submit CVs and cover letters again, and do panel interviews again. It was brutal

My main problem is I just haven’t worked that much so I have very little to talk about when I’m asked for examples…but I guess it will get easier. If I don’t quit first lol

 
vixnix is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2021, 03:31 AM   #23
Cool As Ice Cream
Just Hook it to My Veins!
 
Cool As Ice Cream's Avatar
 
Location: František! How's the foot of your turtle?
Posts: 32,264
Default

i once had an interview where one person was asking me loads of technical questions, another person didn't say a thing, but was making notes. (i think she was from hr maybe?)
i barely knew any answers, but apparently that didn't matter. i think they looked at the way i dealt with them? afterwards they asked me to come back for the last round. (i didn't end up getting the job.)

 
Cool As Ice Cream is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2021, 09:33 AM   #24
MyOneAndOnly
Shut the fuck up!
 
MyOneAndOnly's Avatar
 
Location: "Okay, white power feminist" - yo soy el mejor
Posts: 22,756
Default

my current job had a long interview process

phone call with the recruiter

one hour interview

online job assessment (90 min) consisting of a series of questions (like an intelligence test), then an interactive work simulation which included answering emails and responding/contacting fake coworkers to manage a project.

one hour interview

one hour q&a session with an employee of the company where i could ask questions... this was optional and they allowed me to schedule with someone in the LGBTQ group at the company.

1 hour final interview prep session with the recruiter. This was to help me prep and for final round.

5 hour "loop" interview, which was all on one day, one hour each with 5 different interviewers.



All of that took about 2 months. Prior to this I had made it all the way to the Loop stage for a position with this company, only to find out that the job had been given to someone else. So this most recent time was my second time through the end to end process.

Earlier this year i went through a nearly identical process with another tech company, but didn't get an offer at the end. Each of these instances took about 2 months because of scheduling between each stage.

On top of these instances i interviewed with about 9 other companies this year... but the rest of them only went one or two rounds deep. Some of those ended because they disclosed that the salary and benefits package was too low for me to proceed. Also, when i was given an offer for my current job i was on a 3rd round interview with another company...

At any given time between February and September I was interviewing or scheduling to interview with 2 or more companies. And on top of that working 60 hours at a job i hated. It was exhausting. I wish i could have taken a long vacation at the end.

 
MyOneAndOnly is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2021, 03:42 PM   #25
yo soy el mejor
Just Hook it to My Veins!
 
yo soy el mejor's Avatar
 
Location: all over the Internet
Posts: 43,834
Default

my first in-person interview in 4ever was today with three people at a community arts organization and it ended with a hug from the ED. did i get the job?


i interviewed with him over the phone last week and he seemed like an extremely casual dude. i wasn't exactly sure of the premise for today's meeting, but i wore black jeans and kicked up black sweatshirt with sneakers but that turned out to be the right call because i would have been out of place otherwise and i think it would have made a difference in whether they consider me a good 'fit' or not. i dunno. \o/ maybe i goofed and the hug was to say goodbye 4ever lol

 
yo soy el mejor is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2021, 03:45 PM   #26
vixnix
Socialphobic
 
vixnix's Avatar
 
Location: we are champions, bathed in the heat of a thousand flame wars in the grim future of the internet there is only netphoria
Posts: 12,147
Default

Gosh that’s such a grind

I was working from home the day I had the interview - it was on teams. It started at 10:45am and I was working up until 10:44am and then went straight back to work afterwards. In some ways it’s good to have something to think about but it did also mean I went into the interview not being 100% prepared. I went into a chat about a secondment in the same way and said all the wrong things that time, as well

What topleybird said about preparing for three days beforehand really resonates because I think if I had more time to prepare I’d probably do better - but I can’t take the time off…and I already spend so little time with my kids it’s hard to eat into weekend or early evening time

Someone shared a YouTube channel with me called self made millenial and she seems to have good interview advice basically as teh bolly said, advice on how to make myself psychopathic scum, she seems to give easy to implement advice so hopefully I will be a lying and vapid shit stain in no time at all

 
vixnix is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2021, 04:47 PM   #27
Dogfighter28
ILL KILL UR DOG
 
Dogfighter28's Avatar
 
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 11,444
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by yo soy el mejor View Post
my first in-person interview in 4ever was today with three people at a community arts organization and it ended with a hug from the ED. did i get the job?


i interviewed with him over the phone last week and he seemed like an extremely casual dude. i wasn't exactly sure of the premise for today's meeting, but i wore black jeans and kicked up black sweatshirt with sneakers but that turned out to be the right call because i would have been out of place otherwise and i think it would have made a difference in whether they consider me a good 'fit' or not. i dunno. \o/ maybe i goofed and the hug was to say goodbye 4ever lol
How do you feel about the gendered goodbye? As a guy, I have never been hugged to close a business transaction.

 
Dogfighter28 is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2021, 05:08 PM   #28
yo soy el mejor
Just Hook it to My Veins!
 
yo soy el mejor's Avatar
 
Location: all over the Internet
Posts: 43,834
Default

Of course, I thought about that after the fact and that sort of shit bothers me deeply. I did not get a toxic vibe from this guy, though, considering he's a pastor and I saw him hugging some youths (most of whom were young men) as he gave me a tour. I think he's just a hugger...gulp. But, yeah, that is the first time I have been hugged after an interview. It's better than the time I cried during one.

Would you like a hug after a business transaction?

 
yo soy el mejor is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2021, 05:09 PM   #29
MyOneAndOnly
Shut the fuck up!
 
MyOneAndOnly's Avatar
 
Location: "Okay, white power feminist" - yo soy el mejor
Posts: 22,756
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by vixnix View Post
Gosh that’s such a grind

I was working from home the day I had the interview - it was on teams. It started at 10:45am and I was working up until 10:44am and then went straight back to work afterwards. In some ways it’s good to have something to think about but it did also mean I went into the interview not being 100% prepared. I went into a chat about a secondment in the same way and said all the wrong things that time, as well

What topleybird said about preparing for three days beforehand really resonates because I think if I had more time to prepare I’d probably do better - but I can’t take the time off…and I already spend so little time with my kids it’s hard to eat into weekend or early evening time

Someone shared a YouTube channel with me called self made millenial and she seems to have good interview advice basically as teh bolly said, advice on how to make myself psychopathic scum, she seems to give easy to implement advice so hopefully I will be a lying and vapid shit stain in no time at all

Prepping for the interviews for my current employer I wrote about 40 "stories" or outlines and categorized them under the business principles the company operates under. As I was asked questions I was able to pick from those story outlines to answer the questions. And all of them used the STAR method. Which i suggest using anytime you give an inverview.

It helps that all of their interview questions are themed to align with their corporate principles. But the stories i used are practical for any interview. I spent a LOT of time prepping. I have a friend who is interviewing with us now and I basically handed her pages and pages of my notes for her to use

 
MyOneAndOnly is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2021, 05:38 PM   #30
topleybird
Janis Jopleybird
 
topleybird's Avatar
 
Location: Let me see the booty hop. And now make the booty stop. Now drop, and do the booty wop.
Posts: 4,849
Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by vixnix View Post
What topleybird said about preparing for three days beforehand really resonates because I think if I had more time to prepare I’d probably do better - but I can’t take the time off…and I already spend so little time with my kids it’s hard to eat into weekend or early evening time
Yeah, I completely lucked out by having that much time — I was freelancing and managed to arrange a later delivery for a few things — and it is, again, utter bullshit that someone in a more normal situation has to really scramble to master a skill that they will only use in the hiring process and never at the actual job.

I don't know what I'd have done if I hadn't had that time to dredge up a halfway decent story for all the questions I thought they'd ask. Is anyone out there winning an award at work every week or being the highest-selling rookie salesperson or some shit? Don't we all just kind of show up roughly on time, do the work by the book, and clock out? Is there anything wrong with that? Almost all my stories came from the one job I've had in 20 years where they'd actually valued and encouraged me, and I actually wanted to teach my coworkers a new skill, or bother to suggest a better way of doing things or whatever.

I feel like, to stand out, your responses have to be on the level of, like, "Tell me about a time when you disagreed with your manager's decision, and how you handled it." "The year was 2003. Early March. At the beginning of February, the space shuttle Columbia had disintegrated upon reentry, killing all ten astronauts aboard, and Fred Rogers had died at the end, leaving America with the feeling that our childhoods had been irretrievably lost... [Twenty minutes later] ...And that's when I found my manager's body in the last stall of the men's fifth floor bathroom. He'd committed seppuku, and the suicide note clutched in his hand demanded that I take over his role at the company, marry his widow, and adopt his kids. He said he'd been wrong, and he was sorry."

Anyway, good luck to everyone out there, interviewing. It fucking sucks, but at least it's a different suck than filling out online applications all day and never getting so much as an automated "Thank you, but we've chosen to go with..." back from 99% of them.

 
topleybird is offline
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Google


Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Echo & the Bunnymen singer is good friends with Chris Martin Catherine Wheel Music News and Discussion 76 04-14-2015 11:15 AM
netphorian haikus Dogfighter28 General Chat Archive 93 08-04-2013 10:53 AM
bystarlight.org - am i doing something wrong? slunken Pumpkins Archive 326 05-16-2013 11:40 PM
Billy mentions Netphoria on facebook MonteLDS Pumpkins Archive 248 12-18-2010 03:09 AM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:21 AM.




Smashing Pumpkins, Alternative Music
& General Discussion Message Board and Forums
www.netphoria.org - Copyright © 1998-2020