Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Archives > Pumpkins Archive
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 02-24-2019, 10:13 PM   #1
fuzzyroes
Banned

Default Were The Connells an influence for Billy?

Checking out some of the jangle-rockers stuff and the lead singer definitely sings in a similar style. Have they ever been cited as an influence?

Old 02-24-2019, 11:14 PM   #2
NovaFritz
Apocalyptic Poster

why do you always make it seem like you have a legitimate reason for posting these random music videos?

Old 02-24-2019, 11:32 PM   #3
Mals Marola
Socialphobic

that's what happens when you confine the fuzz man to the SP boards alone!

Old 02-25-2019, 12:23 AM   #4
LoveIsSuicide42
Demi-God

I feel like the Pumpkins were somehow able to avoid being "labeled" by media/culture and evade being tightly knit to a scene. They always felt like a bit of a lone figure in the 90s music/alternative rock scene to me.

They are more of the time than of the place: When I think Nirvana, I think of Seattle and the other grunge rock bands immediately; when I hear Pumpkins, I just think 90s. This makes the Pumpkins feel more unique-- their influences feel a lot harder to pin down and much more unexpected than their peers. I feel like they're just as likely to get lumped in with the grunge "Big 4" as they are to get lumped in with Marilyn Manson and Nine Inch Nails. And yet none of those bands really has much of a Boston influence, to my ears-- it's just a weird mixture of aesthetics and sounds that are difficult to pin down once they are all splayed out next to each other (they scatter from each other, toward opposites poles of the social spectrum), so the band feels like a bit of a singularity-- and it manages to cohere as something special because those first three albums are so well done. I feel like Billy was probably deeply influenced by a lot of stuff other people in that vague alt-rock landscape hated and rejected. It's the hated/rejected element that was disguised, that allowed him to stand out. Also probably explains why the band had weak hipster cred.

Anyway, we perceive this mixture of disparate influences to be "originality": We want to say we never heard anything like it before. But the fact is, we have-- It's just kind of disguised in its representation to us, by cloaking itself in other more obvious bands that were influencing the time. Billy's narcissism sees this originality (projected toward him from culture in the 90s) from a god-like perspective. He's fixated on the idea that he's something real special, while forgetting that he was influenced by other people's music in the first place. He just expects the greatness to come out of him, like he's some kind of deep wellspring. What we get is pumpkins albums that sound adrift, connected with nothing. The gesture toward nothing. There's too much Billy because there only is Billy! The last few Pumpkins albums don't feel like they borrow inspiration from anybody. and that's why they often feel so lifeless. People will ignore these albums in the future. Zeit, Oceania, Monuments, and Shiny are the Zelda CD-i games of the Pumpkins discography.

Old 02-25-2019, 12:24 AM   #5
FoolofaTook
Just Hook it to My Veins!

mods ban pls

thank u

Old 02-25-2019, 12:31 AM   #6
LoveIsSuicide42
Demi-God

I also think this has created a situation where Billy thinks as the band as primarily an "idea" in his head and not as like, an actual band with other people in it. Meaning he doesn't think about how anyone other than himself influences the band's music, but more how their appearances and contributions influence the band's image.

Old 02-25-2019, 01:06 AM   #7
Elphenor
Braindead

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveIsSuicide42 View Post
People will ignore these albums in the future. Zeit, Oceania, Monuments, and Shiny are the Zelda CD-i games of the Pumpkins discography.
lol this is a sick burn

Old 02-25-2019, 02:50 AM   #8
Corgan's Bluff
Minion of Satan

Arrow

Checking the influence in appearance of people still getting 22 years older:

Last edited by Corgan's Bluff : 02-25-2019 at 02:57 AM.

Old 02-25-2019, 03:18 AM   #9
smashingjj
real estate cowboy

I actually played zelda on cdi

Old 02-25-2019, 09:32 AM   #10
Mals Marola
Socialphobic

i actually listened to Zeitgeist

Old 02-25-2019, 10:26 AM   #11
fuzzyroes
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by NovaFritz View Post
why do you always make it seem like you have a legitimate reason for posting these random music videos?
If I was simply wanting an excuse to post some Connells, don't you think I would've chosen a better track than 74-75? Open your eyes, fellow.

Old 02-25-2019, 10:29 AM   #12
fuzzyroes
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mals Marola View Post
that's what happens when you confine the fuzz man to the SP boards alone!
Yeah, hey mods, can we do a switcheroo? I'll be banned from the SP forum but able to roam free on the general forums? I thought that the new music and tour would be cool and that it would be fun to discuss, but sadly, we all know how that turned out.

Old 02-25-2019, 11:25 AM   #13
Mals Marola
Socialphobic

someday i'll get the full story on why you're actually banned from the "outerworld" in the first place

Old 02-25-2019, 11:35 AM   #14
NovaFritz
Apocalyptic Poster

Maybe just relegate Fuzzy to the leet forum or the archives.

But seriously, yes of course SP was influenced by a genre of music that was very popular in the 1980s. But the Connells? Doubtful. The Smiths, of course.

Old 02-25-2019, 11:36 AM   #15
FoolofaTook

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mals Marola View Post
someday i'll get the full story on why you're actually banned from the "outerworld" in the first place
He got on Ram27's bad side, duh.

Old 02-25-2019, 11:39 AM   #16
Mals Marola
Socialphobic

haven't we all...

Old 02-25-2019, 02:01 PM   #17
smashingjj
real estate cowboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzyroes View Post
Yeah, hey mods, can we do a switcheroo? I'll be banned from the SP forum but able to roam free on the general forums? I thought that the new music and tour would be cool and that it would be fun to discuss, but sadly, we all know how that turned out.
we all know how your presence on the general board the past 10+ years turned out, too

Old 02-25-2019, 09:53 PM   #18
fuzzyroes
Banned

You're being too strict with your Netphoria managing process. Netphoria has always been a platform that's thrived on dysfunction. To try and change things at this point in the juncture seems futile.

Old 02-25-2019, 10:01 PM   #19
fuzzyroes
Banned

And I don't mean that with any air of an insubordinate attitude, it's simply some constructive criticism based on my own observations

Old 02-25-2019, 10:05 PM   #20
fuzzyroes
Banned

Me and another fellow that was banned were joking around that it would be great if Netphoria had a "start over" phase... Just let every single person that was ever banned have the opportunity to post again and then start over. Even if it turned out to be a disaster, one could not argue against the entertainment factor of it all.

Old 02-25-2019, 10:33 PM   #21
FoolofaTook

c wilson?

Old 02-26-2019, 12:12 AM   #22
wHATcOLOR
THIS IS AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!

Location: || MY NAME IS KIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIID ROCK!!

furry corgan was heavily influenced by this video when he saw it on youtube in his early twenties

Old 02-26-2019, 01:38 AM   #23
Corgan's Bluff
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoolofaTook View Post
c wilson?
You can still find him with Google. Got a little out of shape...

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/40/58...cc2d912c1d.jpg