Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Archives > Pumpkins Archive
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 01-15-2019, 10:11 PM   #31
johncg
Apocalyptic Poster

I guess what I’m trying to say is that...psychologically...Adore feels like the first step to this horror.

https://i.ibb.co/X2tzdxz/303-F73-B8-...91013661-A.jpg

Old 01-15-2019, 10:11 PM   #32
vixnix
Socialphobic

Location: we are champions, bathed in the heat of a thousand flame wars in the grim future of the internet there is only netphoria

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elphenor View Post
I suppose

just think it's weird to compare a trip hop album to a rock album in terms of what sounds better in production

because what you're looking for from the production is ideally different
Yeah I dunno what to tell you. Production/arrangement choices are a part of the finished product for me, as much as the songwriting. Good songwriting with bad production still = bad album IMO

If I hadn’t been listening to stuff like Mezzanine that year, I might have heard Adore differently. But that wasn’t the case.

I agree about the vocals though. And some of the quieter moments like Annie Dog, and To Sheila (without the Billy chorus) were really touching to me. But overall, it was a fail

Old 01-15-2019, 10:12 PM   #33
fuzzyroes
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by vixnix View Post
I guess in isolation from other music of that time, it can be heard that way, but as someone who was 18 in 1998, at that time, with things like Mezzanine and OK Computer in the pop charts, Adore sounded like shit to me, I dunno what to tell you :/
I remember buying Adore when I was 12 and then promptly trading it in at the music place.

This was literally me

http://s3.crackedcdn.com/phpimages/a...192181.jpg?v=1

Old 01-15-2019, 10:16 PM   #34
Fonzie
Dute of Seven Y's

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbreegull View Post
songs on Adore that score 10/10

Blank Page
How fucking high are you?

Old 01-15-2019, 10:16 PM   #35
fuzzyroes
Banned

Quote:
what the fuck are you smoking
haha yeah I don't hear it either

Old 01-15-2019, 10:21 PM   #36
wHATcOLOR
THIS IS AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!

Location: || MY NAME IS KIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIID ROCK!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoolofaTook View Post
Adore would be perfect if all the lame electronic songs got dropped (ava adore, pug) or reworked into acoutic ballads (perfect, nitemare, tear) and if lmgtwty, czarina, and once in a while were added. that shit would of been better than mcis. just imagine:

To Sheila
Czarina
Perfect
LMGTWTY
Daphne Descends
Crestfallen
Tear
Once in a While
Dusty
Nitemare
Shame
For Martha
Blank Page

A dark, subdued, haunting album. Yes!
this is pretty cool mostly but i'd want to cut tear for sure. annie dog, pug.. either of those would be find in its place

Old 01-15-2019, 10:21 PM   #37
FoolofaTook
Just Hook it to My Veins!

cut tear for annie dog

bro u be trippin

Old 01-15-2019, 10:23 PM   #38
FoolofaTook

i'd have tear redone though. make it acoustic and slow it down.

Old 01-15-2019, 10:23 PM   #39
fuzzyroes
Banned

Quote:
Machina was good but it was the start of being obsessed with capturing the MCIS level of fandom again
I like Machina for what it is now. It's a decent release, but at the time it came across as a wimper. It kind of suffered from the same thing Adore suffered from. It had this bad-ass, cool lead single and then nothing else on the album sounded anything remotely like it.

Old 01-15-2019, 10:23 PM   #40
Elphenor
Braindead

annie dog is underrated as fuck among SP fans

Old 01-15-2019, 10:24 PM   #41
Elphenor
Braindead

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzyroes View Post
I like Machina for what it is now. It's a decent release, but at the time it came across as a wimper. It kind of suffered from the same thing Adore suffered from. It had this bad-ass, cool lead single and then nothing else on the album sounded anything remotely like it.
Everlasting Gaze is a really cringe song

talk about aging poorly

Old 01-15-2019, 10:26 PM   #42
vixnix
Socialphobic

Location: we are champions, bathed in the heat of a thousand flame wars in the grim future of the internet there is only netphoria

Shame was fine until the sh-sh-sh bit

Couldn’t help thinking of Family Ties theme tune and Van Morrison’s Brown Eyed Girl because “Sha-la-la-la” was the only other time outside of nursery rhymes that I’d heard “sh” used in a song

Not good

Somebody sh-sh-shoulda reined him in at that point

Old 01-15-2019, 10:26 PM   #43
Elphenor
Braindead

nah that song is stunning and should be iconic to all in SP fandom

I pretty much like every song on Adore

so I guess I'm with RBG motherfuckers be tripping

Old 01-15-2019, 10:27 PM   #44
vixnix
Socialphobic

It

Is terrible

Old 01-15-2019, 10:28 PM   #45
Elphenor
Braindead

replace Crestfallen with LMGTWY or something though =)

the rick rubin version is really good and I cant believe that shit was not on the record I mean what

I don't know the history behind that I just know it's on the remaster bonus thing

Old 01-15-2019, 10:31 PM   #46
vixnix
Socialphobic

I think people could not listen to Adore, and really miss nothing in terms of SP greatness.

Nothing particularly noteworthy

Old 01-15-2019, 10:32 PM   #47
fuzzyroes
Banned

Quote:
Everlasting Gaze is a really cringe song

talk about aging poorly
You think so? For me it's the highlight of the album. That outro man, kicks ass... That was the Jimmy I was stoked to have back.

The thing with Machina is, you hear a lot of kicks at the can to replicate 1979. That was the whole fulcrum as to why their sound changed. You can hear the 1979 influence in Try, Try Try, This Time, I of the mourning, SIYL, Wound ETC... It marked a direct shift in their sonic attack.

It's a shame, but it happens to a lot of bands at the time... Sugar Ray comes to mind with "Fly". And of course Green Day who had scored their first hit in a few years with Good Riddance and then of course their next album is acoustic based with tracks like this

In a sense, 1979 was the worst thing that happened to the band because they kept on trying to chase that dragon and it marked a direct change in their jam-band kind of sound.

Old 01-15-2019, 10:32 PM   #48
wHATcOLOR
THIS IS AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!

Location: || MY NAME IS KIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIID ROCK!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoolofaTook View Post
i'd have tear redone though. make it acoustic and slow it down.

it's so melodramatic and cringeworthy the way it is, with it's cheesy fake strings/synths, and his wailing.. i'd be interested in this redo you refer to though. please post your soundcloud link when it is ready.

Old 01-15-2019, 10:33 PM   #49
redbreegull

Quote:
seems the real problem is after Adore he became super hurt it wasn't as well received by jackass buttrock fans who would be listening to Limp Bizkit by the end of the 90's or whatever else dumb fad
I agree with this pretty hard. The problem was not that Billy made Adore, it's that he couldn't accept that the mass of fake fans he collected in 95/96 wouldn't follow him on a completely different journey. Billy's reaction to the fans is what ruined the band. The guy just craves validation too much to take any kind of serious artistic risk. He put himself out there with Adore, he got burned, and just never did it again.

and it's not like there aren't fuck loads of artists out there who were successful and then had divisive albums. it's normal and many artists have gone on to keep creating plenty of more great albums, and those divisive albums are often more appreciated later. again, it's 100% Billy's reaction that is the problem.

Old 01-15-2019, 10:34 PM   #50
redbreegull

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzyroes View Post
In a sense, 1979 was the worst thing that happened to the band because they kept on trying to chase that dragon.
you've said this like a dozen times and I don't think you've found anyone who agrees with you yet.

1979 was not some big game changer that caused him to alter his style.

Old 01-15-2019, 10:34 PM   #51
Mals Marola
Socialphobic

Quote:
replace Crestfallen with LMGTWY or something though =)

the rick rubin version is really good and I cant believe that shit was not on the record I mean what

I don't know the history behind that I just know it's on the remaster bonus thing
the history is that his label allegedly wanted it as first single so billy tossed it altogether

tbh, he was right in picking Ava as lead single but dropping that song altogether just seems like a pivotal move in destroying his career (or at least, the sheer magnitude of it in the mid-90s.) sure what we got isn't amazing but something tells me that's not exactly what it would have been in 1998. feels more like an unfinished product that got tidied up a bit for the big reissue

Old 01-15-2019, 10:34 PM   #52
Elphenor
Braindead

re: fuzzy

it's some nu metal bullshitttt

with the addition of that spoken word bit that's OH GOD MAKE IT STOP bad

Old 01-15-2019, 10:35 PM   #53
Elphenor
Braindead

love is good and love is mine
love is drunk all the time

now that's a lovah line right there

Old 01-15-2019, 10:37 PM   #54
Mals Marola
Socialphobic

what the fuck does TEG have to do with nu-metal aside from being in a drop-C tuning. it's a "cybermetal disco" song and an easy highlight of the era. stop having such a dumb reaction to anything slightly related to some genre your punk rock textbooks tell you not to like

Old 01-15-2019, 10:38 PM   #55
Elphenor
Braindead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mals Marola View Post
the history is that his label allegedly wanted it as first single so billy tossed it altogether

tbh, he was right in picking Ava as lead single but dropping that song altogether just seems like a pivotal move in destroying his career (or at least, the sheer magnitude of it in the mid-90s.) sure what we got isn't amazing but something tells me that's not exactly what it would have been in 1998. feels more like an unfinished product that got tidied up a bit for the big reissue
what do I know, but I do feel like that track had hit potential

Old 01-15-2019, 10:41 PM   #56
fuzzyroes
Banned

Quote:
Billy's reaction to the fans is what ruined the band. The guy just craves validation too much to take any kind of serious artistic risk. He put himself out there with Adore, he got burned, and just never did it again.
Funny how we again see an obvious parallel with Rivers Cuomo. The exact situation happened with their Pinkerton release.

Old 01-15-2019, 10:42 PM   #57
FoolofaTook

how drunk are you?

Old 01-15-2019, 10:43 PM   #58
Elphenor
Braindead

Quote:
I agree with this pretty hard. The problem was not that Billy made Adore, it's that he couldn't accept that the mass of fake fans he collected in 95/96 wouldn't follow him on a completely different journey. Billy's reaction to the fans is what ruined the band. The guy just craves validation too much to take any kind of serious artistic risk. He put himself out there with Adore, he got burned, and just never did it again.

and it's not like there aren't fuck loads of artists out there who were successful and then had divisive albums. it's normal and many artists have gone on to keep creating plenty of more great albums, and those divisive albums are often more appreciated later. again, it's 100% Billy's reaction that is the problem.

yeah and it's not like if he made another MCIS it was going to hold in popularity

it was kind of a fluke that they sold so many records to begin with

Old 01-15-2019, 10:44 PM   #59
fuzzyroes
Banned

Quote:
1979 was not some big game changer that caused him to alter his style.
I think it was. It was clearly their biggest hit of their career and it offered a blue-print for how to move forward from the grunge thing. You hear aspects of 1979 littered all over Adore. Hell, there couldn't have been more of a shameless aping than Perfect.

Old 01-15-2019, 10:46 PM   #60
fuzzyroes
Banned

Quote:
with the addition of that spoken word bit that's OH GOD MAKE IT STOP bad
I agree with you on that one. I can't believe that someone in the band didn't tap him on the shoulder and say "hey, Bill, maybe we oughta come up with something different for the interlude".