Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Smashing Pumpkins Boards > Smashing Pumpkins/Billy Corgan Discussion
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 05-17-2023, 09:01 PM   #181
TheSultanOfCyr
Ownz

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAlter View Post
That is so compelling, guys, really.

You should seriously consider doing a web series about it. The tale of two roommates trying not to listen to their teenage heroes' shitty new albums.

Comedy of errors, Sultan hearing one song but not wanting to tell his roommate etc...

'The Sultans of Nisp' how about that
Digging this.

Old 05-18-2023, 10:47 AM   #182
djzap
Pledge

The more I come back to this album the more I feel like it is sonically a follow-up to TheFutureEmbrace. Obviously mainly the electronic stuff but like, yeah it's a good sound and there are tracks on here that are really really emotive that I love like Every Morning and Springtimes.

IDK the dust has settled a bit and I think I have settled into my opinion that this is in fact an album I really like.

Old 05-18-2023, 11:20 AM   #183
brothahi4L
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by djzap View Post
The more I come back to this album the more I feel like it is sonically a follow-up to TheFutureEmbrace. Obviously mainly the electronic stuff but like, yeah it's a good sound and there are tracks on here that are really really emotive that I love like Every Morning and Springtimes.

IDK the dust has settled a bit and I think I have settled into my opinion that this is in fact an album I really like.
Well my dear,

You cant talk.anybody here into atum...no.matter what u try.....this is not a.lollow up to.anything.....this is atum- a lousy rock opera with horrid voice toppings, stock synths and bubblegum lyrics all over.....and it is a 3/10 ....

Go back to the sad machines at reddit and spread your love there.

Old 05-18-2023, 11:28 AM   #184
brothahi4L
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilikeplanets View Post
I'm just glad a couple of you haven't gone completely deaf. I'm so thrown off by the "Zodeon is 7 out of 10" crowd. Would any of that crowd like to confirm if they'd rate it that way if it was from a new or unknown artist? Would you even finish the album? Be honest. What is a 10/10 if this is a 7/10?
Well the bar is so.low that people compare it to anything aftermachina 2..........so yeah...it is the first 10 tracks that i can.listen in one take witbout getting earchache, feeling aggression or vomitting.

So in comparison to the 90s album it is a 5/10...but in comparison to cyr, scheissi or atumnlol it is a 7/10

Old 05-18-2023, 11:31 AM   #185
brothahi4L
Apocalyptic Poster

Well and obviously it is a new band, and if sp werent that famous back.in the day and they would come up with atum as their first al um....noone would give a shit....

We all know that atum has some decent aongs yeah and god bless i use spotify and didnt buy that overpriced boxsets...so i can kick out all those embarrassing trax.like " where rain, hooray, embracrr etc etccccc

Old 05-18-2023, 12:28 PM   #186
eyeboogers
Demi-God

Quote:

I have been listening to this record every day this week. At this point I have completely revised my opinion about the ATUM project. First reaction upon following the weekly podcast was that I hated the synth heavy sound, the melodies weren't registering with me and it all seemed a hastily produced blur. I even semi-stopped listening to the podcast halfway through Act 2.

I was wrong. ATUM is a worthy successor to "Machina", in completed form the work seems epic, ambitious, socially relevant and most importantly tuneful. Even the most critical pumpkin fan should be able to piece together at least a single discs worth of songs they really like. This is not just another album it is an art work.

On vinyl vs. podcast the guitars sound like guitars rather than effects, the drums sound like JC drums not Logic loops, the vocals blend better and in general there is so much going on that there is something new to discover sonically every time you put the record on.

Basically I have gone from a 3/10 to an 8/10. Sometimes an artists best work is not the material that jumps at you at first listen. If you give ATUM a second, third and fourth chance it will click.

Old 05-18-2023, 12:34 PM   #187
djzap
Pledge

Quote:
Originally Posted by brothahi4L View Post
Well my dear,

You cant talk.anybody here into atum...no.matter what u try.....this is not a.lollow up to.anything.....this is atum- a lousy rock opera with horrid voice toppings, stock synths and bubblegum lyrics all over.....and it is a 3/10 ....

Go back to the sad machines at reddit and spread your love there.
im just sharing my opinion man, chill out

Old 05-18-2023, 12:37 PM   #188
Ram27
dumb

remember this motherfucker said this was a sequel to MCIS and Machina

and it's at least 75% synth

Old 05-18-2023, 01:38 PM   #189
MyKeyZ
Apocalyptic Poster

The goalposts have been shifted again. First it was "It's the podcast quality, it'll be better when lossless audio comes out." Now we have 24 bit audio and it has become "It's the digital audio, you actually have to listen to this on vinyl." I love when people bring up the vinyl and instrument separation, meaning Billy's horrible voice is even more separated and pronounced. Oh goodie.

Old 05-18-2023, 01:41 PM   #190
MyKeyZ
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyeboogers View Post
I have been listening to this record every day this week. At this point I have completely revised my opinion about the ATUM project. First reaction upon following the weekly podcast was that I hated the synth heavy sound, the melodies weren't registering with me and it all seemed a hastily produced blur. I even semi-stopped listening to the podcast halfway through Act 2.

I was wrong. ATUM is a worthy successor to "Machina", in completed form the work seems epic, ambitious, socially relevant and most importantly tuneful. Even the most critical pumpkin fan should be able to piece together at least a single discs worth of songs they really like. This is not just another album it is an art work.

On vinyl vs. podcast the guitars sound like guitars rather than effects, the drums sound like JC drums not Logic loops, the vocals blend better and in general there is so much going on that there is something new to discover sonically every time you put the record on.

Basically I have gone from a 3/10 to an 8/10. Sometimes an artists best work is not the material that jumps at you at first listen. If you give ATUM a second, third and fourth chance it will click.
I honestly cannot tell if this was written in jest or not.

Hey ChatGPT, write me a couple paragraphs trying to convince someone who hates Atum that it's actually a good album.

Old 05-18-2023, 01:56 PM   #191
TheAlter
Apocalyptic Poster

djzap and eyeboogers, bunch of over-zealous baristas trying to impress the boss. Bet they even do it for free.

Old 05-18-2023, 02:33 PM   #192
eyeboogers
Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ram27 View Post
remember this motherfucker said this was a sequel to MCIS and Machina

and it's at least 75% synth
Not at all. Since the story is chronological - with Shiny being absent in any form for the entire first act (or at least until "The Gold Mask"), we initially got the impression that the entire record would be New Ordery. Listening to the album as a whole there is a gradual shift towards rock. Some hybrid between Pink Floyd and the Machina sound. More or less all of act 3 and half of act 2 is this.

Old 05-18-2023, 02:53 PM   #193
Joey Goldberg
Minion of Satan

lol

Old 05-18-2023, 03:36 PM   #194
djzap
Pledge

i forgot we're not allowed to like things here

Old 05-18-2023, 04:09 PM   #195
VoxUpDoc
Apocalyptic Poster

I’m no audiophile and stating the obvious but… listening on headphone versus computer speakers his voice is more buried and the instrumentation is coming at you from all angles. It sounds relatively better fwiw.

Old 05-18-2023, 09:13 PM   #196
paranoid
Minion of Satan

I’m glad ram27 and mykeyz have stated their absolute disdain for this album because I almost completely forgot. Thanks for keep all of netphoria up to date you guys. Now take your bands and go make some killer records! Show ‘em how it’s done!

Last edited by paranoid : 05-18-2023 at 09:24 PM.

Old 05-19-2023, 05:32 PM   #197
MyKeyZ
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by paranoid View Post
I’m glad ram27 and mykeyz have stated their absolute disdain for this album because I almost completely forgot. Thanks for keep all of netphoria up to date you guys. Now take your bands and go make some killer records! Show ‘em how it’s done!
Aww, it's okay that you miss me.

Old 05-22-2023, 12:23 AM   #198
krackhead
Apocalyptic Poster

I actually never listened to this new album yet after buying the Pink Haze vinyl of CYR and never opening it. The only song I heard so far was the newest single (I think) on the radio, but I actually forgot the name of the song. After it was over I looked it up and played it again in full on spotify, but did not listen to any other tracks still. I heard that new single was supposed to be the best song on the album, so I figured everything else would sound worse.

Old 05-22-2023, 04:39 AM   #199
eyeboogers
Demi-God

"Beguiled" is far from the best song on "Atum". Even if you want that kind of straight up dinosaur rock crunch the follow up single "Empires" does a better job of it.

Old 05-22-2023, 11:50 AM   #200
TheSultanOfCyr
Ownz

Harmageddon probably the best ‘rockin choon’ I would say.

Old 05-22-2023, 11:58 AM   #201
TheSultanOfCyr
Ownz

Have now listened in full. Not as disappointed in it as I thought I’d be. Still, the band’s weakest album in my view.

Now, that there Zodeon album… now, that there’s got something going there. Goldberg’s Magdalena theory seems pretty sound. Overall decent by Pumpkins standards. Maybe, on par with Zeitgeist-ish. Which is to say, it’s alright I suppose! Ya dig?

Old 05-22-2023, 12:05 PM   #202
NovaFritz
Apocalyptic Poster

I find it hard to appreciate the third record in ATUM. There is nothing in Part 3 that we haven't already heard on the first two records. The songs, production, instrumentation, etc. all start to sound the same after a while. This could definitely have been one part.

Old 05-22-2023, 12:45 PM   #203
Ram27
dumb

i haven't listened to a fucking thing from atum in a month.

as far as i'm concerned Zodion is all that matters from the era. hell, if they ONLY put out zodion i'd be happy

Old 05-22-2023, 04:05 PM   #204
ourruseoffools
Apocalyptic Poster

It’s really weird going on the subreddit and seeing that there’s still so much enthusiasm there for it. Even a year or two ago I felt as tho the pumpkins sub didn’t have strong reddit vibes but now it’s textbook.

And yes I was enthusiastic when act 1 dropped because of how funny I thought it was. But then I watched the jt Leroy documentary where billy sounds gross in it. Yuck

Old 05-22-2023, 08:35 PM   #205
Ram27
dumb

zodion has me back in. atum is ass i will not be a SM about that. but zodion is IT

Old 05-23-2023, 04:51 AM   #206
horsefly
Oblivious Virgin

Atum's decent. The peaks are really fucking good, and the lows are still enjoyable.

Old 05-23-2023, 04:56 AM   #207
TheAlter
Apocalyptic Poster

proper horsefly comment that

Old 05-23-2023, 05:53 AM   #208
TheSultanOfCyr
Ownz

Quote:
Originally Posted by ourruseoffools View Post
It’s really weird going on the subreddit and seeing that there’s still so much enthusiasm there for it. Even a year or two ago I felt as tho the pumpkins sub didn’t have strong reddit vibes but now it’s textbook.
Yeah I’m with you here, I get cognitive dissonance going on there and looking at the gushing Atum praise. I get thinking it’s fine - I think it’s a fine album, but some people are putting it on par with the classics, and I just don’t get it. I JUST DON’T! Even rating it higher than Cyr I don’t understand. I’m kinda jealous - what are they hearing that I’m not?

Old 05-23-2023, 06:07 AM   #209
enthusaroo
Apocalyptic Poster

ATUM has scattered moments

but it's straight up trash

2/10 after giving it another listen on good headphones (revised from my 1/10 rating originally)

at least Zodeon has real songs that are a joy to hear and a real band playing at times fun music with a few eye worms and I've actually came back to listen to some Zodeon songs on repeat.. nothing from ATUM pulls me in or makes me wanna listen again.. except I game the entire album one more attempt in case I missed anything the first two times.. I didn't

Old 05-23-2023, 07:08 AM   #210
TheAlter
Apocalyptic Poster

I don't see what's so crazy about the subreddit's endless praise of ATUM when even those who loathe it like Enthusaroo are willing to listen to it multiple times front to back 'just to be sure'.

But i get it, the band has sucked for too long for people to have a somewhat healthy relationship with it.

Thanks for nothin' Billy!