Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Archives > General Chat Archive
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List

Old 01-27-2012, 01:28 PM   #31
reprise85
BOTTLEG ILLEGAL

Location: I'm faced with so many changes that I just might change my face

i really love my new car, toyota matrix and it has tons of room considering how tiny it is, it was about 9k with 60k miles (from a dealer). they hold value well though so it might not be the best bang for your buck

Old 01-27-2012, 04:19 PM   #32
duovamp
Brazilian Blouselord

Been talking to a guy at a dealership in Ohio about a C6 Corvette but the jackass keeps dragging his feet on the specifics of the rate and trade-in info. I'm probably gonna pass on buying it at this point just because he's a slow-ass bitch. Wutevs.

Old 01-27-2012, 04:29 PM   #33
slunken
Virgo

Quote:
Originally Posted by duovamp View Post
Been talking to a guy at a dealership in Ohio about a C6 Corvette but the jackass keeps dragging his feet on the specifics of the rate and trade-in info. I'm probably gonna pass on buying it at this point just because he's a slow-ass bitch. Wutevs.
not shocked to hear this. my dad went to 4 dealerships and after 4 months finally got a 2012 dodge charger in ohio. he said one dealership the guy physically could not give him any numbers for rate/trade-in. at all. he was all wtf and walked out.

is this common in other states i wonder?

Old 01-27-2012, 04:41 PM   #34
sppunk
Netphoria's George Will

When we thought about trading in our 2006 Rav4 - which was in basic mint condition and low miles - an Audi dealership guy here said he'd give us $8,000. I laughed out loud and walked out.

I'm pretty sure dealerships these days screw over any trade ins since the profits of the car sale itself is harder to make due to Edmunds.com, etc.

Old 01-27-2012, 05:36 PM   #35
Mooney
Socialphobic

i drive a 2007 mazda6 five door now. i miss my first car, a 1987 Chrysler Fifth avenue which i inherited from my grandfather with 25,000 miles on it.

http://i.imgur.com/s9k7t.jpg

the seats were more comfortable than la-z-boys. pretty much my favourite car in the world. i miss it. at least i sold it to a musician that used it to tour across the country a couple of times, so it will have some stories.

Old 01-27-2012, 06:03 PM   #36
barden
Braindead

That's a nice car.

Old 01-27-2012, 06:05 PM   #37
barden
Braindead

My dad and I share a Citroën C2 VTR or whatever. It's blue.
Fucking barbie doll car. It accelerates alright. I have taken it on some journeys jeeps and vans would be proud of. Mostly cause I didn't have much of an option.

Old 01-27-2012, 09:22 PM   #38
duovamp
Brazilian Blouselord

Quote:
Originally Posted by sppunk View Post
When we thought about trading in our 2006 Rav4 - which was in basic mint condition and low miles - an Audi dealership guy here said he'd give us $8,000. I laughed out loud and walked out.

I'm pretty sure dealerships these days screw over any trade ins since the profits of the car sale itself is harder to make due to Edmunds.com, etc.
Honestly they make so much damn money with shitty trade-ins. It's a ton easier to buy a used car for cheap and sell it higher than it is a brand new one that the manufacturer gives you a price on.

I wish there were any other business where I could tell the seller how much I want for their good, and then tell the buyer how much I want to sell it for. It's why so many car salesmen go off and start little used car dealerships with 12 cars on the lot. That alone is enough to make them a living.

Quote:
Originally Posted by slunken View Post
not shocked to hear this. my dad went to 4 dealerships and after 4 months finally got a 2012 dodge charger in ohio. he said one dealership the guy physically could not give him any numbers for rate/trade-in. at all. he was all wtf and walked out.

Probably. I think it's why so few people stay in sales very long too. Either you work your ass off and make a ton of money, or you sit on your ass and that money goes to someone else.

I didn't even want to argue on price, or the ridiculous trade-in they gave me. I just wanted to get one email back saying "Okay, everything should be good to go," and I'd be making plans to drive there tomorrow morning. Fuuuuuuuck that guy.

Yesterday he was like "I'll talk to the bank today and get back to you." I email him back saying the price he gave me on the trade in was fine (It wasn't, but I just wanted to hurry this up). Then I sent him another email asking if he heard anything. He said he'd "talk to the bank tonight or in the a.m." Haven't heard from him since last night. Now I can't even make plans for my weekend because of this dick.

Old 01-27-2012, 11:49 PM   #39
brendo_91
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by reprise85 View Post
there definitely is a buzz around about kias being made better in recent years - i've heard lots of people say it
fair enough. i wasn't aware the company had changed hands. yours was from the dark ages of kia though, right?

Old 01-27-2012, 11:58 PM   #40
duovamp
Brazilian Blouselord

Hyundai-Kia still makes mediocre cars tbh. I mean if you want something cheap, go Korean or American. I really like the 2013 Genesis front-end, but I wouldn't buy one expecting to get top-notch reliability or engineering.

Old 01-28-2012, 12:04 AM   #41
sppunk
Netphoria's George Will

We're going to the PA Auto Show tomorrow. The new Porsche 911 is being unveiled. I'm hoping the have the Audi Q3, though I doubt they will.

The Q5 is my favorite thing in earth.

Old 01-28-2012, 12:09 AM   #42
duovamp
Brazilian Blouselord

I didn't know they had one over in Hburg. I may go to the Pgh one this year, idk. I was going to go last year, but when we got there, a line a mile long made me turn right around and do something else that day.

I've been to the NAIAS twice, and each time it's been fucking incredible. I wish I went this year - could've seen the next-gen NSX and the BRZ/FR-S.

Old 01-28-2012, 12:13 AM   #43
sppunk
Netphoria's George Will

I'm not a huge car guy since I don't drive, but I enjoy a well made vehicle. That's why we go. And why I make my wife, who couldn't care less, drive nicer SUVs.

I'll let you know if anything unique is on display, I know they're having 2013 Ford models, but junk is junk. (though many say new Fords are decent)

Old 01-28-2012, 12:14 AM   #44
duovamp
Brazilian Blouselord

Get pics anyhow and post them, especially of the Scion FR-S or Subaru BRZ if it's there. I had a deposit down on one that I withdrew earlier because I decided to go another (equally douchebaggy) route.

Old 01-28-2012, 12:20 AM   #45
sppunk
Netphoria's George Will

The Scion should be, so I'll do my best. We have a 2011 Q5, so I will be upset if that Q3 truly is there ...

We thought closely about an Outback, but the interior was terrible. I know nothing about the BRZ.

Old 01-28-2012, 12:23 AM   #46
duovamp
Brazilian Blouselord

BRZ is the FR-S with Subaru badges and a slightly better interior and revised front bumper.

The Q5 is built on the same platform as the Cayenne, isn't it? I could be wrong. I'm not crazy about how the Cayenne came together, but I'm in love with Audi's design language lately. They've done a great job just making a very attractive and unique line.

Subaru's interiors have always been pretty horrendous (except for the BRZ). My buddy got a 2011 WRX and its interior looked like a fucking Chrysler from 2002.

Old 01-28-2012, 12:27 AM   #47
sppunk
Netphoria's George Will

Yeah, same frame I believe. The Cayenne is pretty badass, though again I pay little attention to cars themselves.

It took 3 months to get our Q5, kinda crazy but all the revamped stylings I guess made them more popular here in America finally. An old shitty car is a great way to describe that interior, it was so bad.

Old 01-28-2012, 02:32 PM   #48
reprise85
BOTTLEG ILLEGAL

Location: I'm faced with so many changes that I just might change my face

Quote:
Originally Posted by brendo_91 View Post
fair enough. i wasn't aware the company had changed hands. yours was from the dark ages of kia though, right?
It was a 2007. Wikipedia says Hyundai partially bought them out in August 2009. So, yeah.

edit: Wait, I read that incorrectly. It was actually 1998. So if they are being made better (and not just having a good marketing buzz) it isn't because of that.

Last edited by reprise85 : 01-28-2012 at 02:38 PM.

Old 01-28-2012, 02:59 PM   #49
agenda suicide
cunt cookies

Quote:
Originally Posted by slunken View Post

First time I went in to look at the cars I was interested in at both the Honda and Mazda dealerships, I got numbers right away no problem at all.

Old 01-28-2012, 03:05 PM   #50
duovamp
Brazilian Blouselord

That's because some dealerships are pieces of shit. I've had awesome experiences at dealerships, and awful experiences at dealerships. I've been asked to leave one before. That was cool.

Other times they let me drive two different cars like a mad man and walk away.

Old 01-28-2012, 03:06 PM   #51
Mayfuck
Banned

vroom vroom!!!

hey duovamp remember the time i consulted you about buying a car? I ended up buying the 2008 civic dx. but I sold it last year because i'm a raging progressive and I ride a bike everywhere now

Old 01-28-2012, 03:07 PM   #52
Mayfuck
Banned

Good memories though, I took old Speedy (named him Speedy cause I got 6 speeding tickets in 6 different states) all the way to Jasper, Alberta.

Old 01-28-2012, 03:18 PM   #53
duovamp
Brazilian Blouselord

Oh man, I do remember that.

That's a pretty awesome record imo. 6 tickets in 6 states?

I got switched to a different branch for 2012, otherwise if I were working at the place I was last year, I'd probably bike to work too like damn hippie.

Old 01-28-2012, 03:19 PM   #54
agenda suicide
cunt cookies

Quote:
Originally Posted by duovamp View Post
That's because some dealerships are pieces of shit. I've had awesome experiences at dealerships, and awful experiences at dealerships. I've been asked to leave one before. That was cool.

Other times they let me drive two different cars like a mad man and walk away.
Yeah... I was worried about being treated poorly since I was going in alone, but I was pleasantly surprised why how awesome and straightforward both salesmen were.

Old 01-28-2012, 04:11 PM   #55
sppunk
Netphoria's George Will

duovamp, they had neither of the cars you were seeking. They had the R8 for test drives though, so that was awesome. Honda needs to get new designers, they're all ugly (interiors too). I was somewhat impressed with the new Mazda's, though I'm sure they're still fairly shitty quality.

There are so many f'n Chevy models. Good God.

Old 01-28-2012, 04:19 PM   #56
Netphorian Gadabout
The Broom of the System

Quote:
I was somewhat impressed with the new Mazda's, though I'm sure they're still fairly shitty quality.
We've owned two mazda 3's and for what its worth, neither had any major repairs when we sold them around 100,000 miles. They are what they are, but as far as reliability goes, we had no complaints.

Old 01-28-2012, 04:23 PM   #57
sppunk
Netphoria's George Will

I was thinking more of construction and materials - I've not head many negatives about Mazda's engines before. Aren't they somewhat related to Suzuki now?

Old 01-28-2012, 04:37 PM   #58
Netphorian Gadabout
The Broom of the System

Quote:
Aren't they somewhat related to Suzuki now?
I... wouldn't be the person to ask. Alot of my family works for Ford and I've always got family discounts (the S-plan) on Mazdas, but I know Ford only owns a few percent of Mazda stock at this point.

Old 01-28-2012, 04:45 PM   #59
brendo_91
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by agenda suicide View Post
Yeah... I was worried about being treated poorly since I was going in alone, but I was pleasantly surprised why how awesome and straightforward both salesmen were.
Girl I know was asking around for a guy to accompany her to the dealership once. She said "I've got the car, I know how much I want to pay, I just need a boy to stand next to me while I badger the salesman into submission"...

Old 01-28-2012, 04:53 PM   #60
agenda suicide
cunt cookies

Quote:
Originally Posted by brendo_91 View Post
Girl I know was asking around for a guy to accompany her to the dealership once. She said "I've got the car, I know how much I want to pay, I just need a boy to stand next to me while I badger the salesman into submission"...
It sound ridiculous, but there are still some assholes out there that will treat women like they're complete idiots.
My mother once had a salesman refuse to sell her a car with out my father there. She gave him a piece of her mind and then walked out the door. I can't believe some people are still like this, and I'm glad I haven't had to deal with any of them.