Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Archives > General Chat Archive
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 09-21-2006, 11:53 PM   #31
Orchestra
Minion of Satan

You'll be able to get a BlueRay burner 2 weeks after the ps3 is out.The code will be cracked before it comes out.If they release it people will crack it, most likely through the network card in the system, playing br rips from harddrives. Don't kid yourself esty.

Old 09-22-2006, 12:01 AM   #32
Esty
Netphorian of the Decade

One reason Sony went that way is to A) Push their shitty new format, and B) Try and prevent piracy. I don't doubt that they will break it eventually, but to do so cheaply and quickly is another story.

Old 09-22-2006, 12:19 AM   #33
Orchestra
Minion of Satan

The 360 had a multitude of protection. Look at it now.

Thats the beauty of the internet, some dumbshit wannabe coder spends all the money breaking them(ps3's) till he gets it right, then feeds it to everyone else on the internet like the staving pack of gayfags we are. Its fool proof.

Old 09-22-2006, 12:20 AM   #34
Effloresce
Banned

Yeah. Even if the code is cracked it won't matter THAT much. You will still need a burner and also blank media which will be a FORTUNE.

Old 09-22-2006, 12:21 AM   #35
Orchestra
Minion of Satan

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Effloresce
Yeah. Even if the code is cracked it won't matter THAT much. You will still need a burner and also blank media which will be a FORTUNE.

WRONG

Network card > computer that holds BR rips > Streaming > free games, just like what happened to the GC

Old 09-22-2006, 12:26 AM   #36
Effloresce
Banned

This is true.

But it will be interesting to see how long it takes for that to get cracked.

Old 09-22-2006, 12:48 AM   #37
Nimrod's Son
Master of Karate and Friendship

how many people in this thread have had sex within the last six months

Old 09-22-2006, 12:49 AM   #38
duovamp
Brazilian Blouselord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nimrod's Son
Including you?

And... now me?

Old 09-22-2006, 12:51 AM   #39
Effloresce
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nimrod's Son
ha ha, funny.

Old 09-22-2006, 01:27 AM   #40
GlasgowKiss
Quaid Hates You

Quote:
Originally Posted by celluloid_love
what do PS3 and Xbox 360 bring to the table besides improved graphics
Well consider that gaming experiences like GTA3 were only possible with the move up to DVD and the increased storage/data transfer from storage that it allowed. Sure if you only want to play scrolling shooters for the rest of your life then yeah, its just a graphical leap to the next system. But even as a ps3 detractor i can see that the technology will open up gameplay options for farsighted developers.

Old 09-22-2006, 01:49 AM   #41
celluloid_love
Minion of Satan

GTA3 got boring after about a week.

Old 09-22-2006, 01:59 AM   #42
GlasgowKiss
Quaid Hates You

Hopefully they'll have text adventure versions of the new Zelda game for you to run on your ZX81 then.

Old 09-22-2006, 02:01 AM   #43
Dead
Deaddy is your daddy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Effloresce
People hate on BR-ROM now, but I think in the long run it will prove to be useful because of the fact that it has extra capacity. Remember, Oblivion devs already said they had to water down a lot of the textures so they could fit on a DVD-9.

That said, I also wish Sony would have used HD-DVD instead. It's cheaper. It would've also been nice if 360 used HD-DVD by default so all games can use it.
I'm not an expert but I'm resonably informed so here goes.. I think that Sony's real reason for the blu-ray PS3 was to put the technology in peoples houses. They want to promote their new hd format and this is their way to do it. I think that DVD9 should be adequate for most if not all games, and hardly any PS2 were in DVD9 (I don't know about Xbox or 360.) Well you just said one game had to be watered down, if necessary they could spread something across a DVD9 and a DVD5, all of the Resident Evils for Cube were 2 disc. If they had stuck to DVD, the console would be a lot cheaper, Sony would have been able to release it way sooner, and we wouldn't have to deal with the extra complications that come with Blu-Ray (I don't have specific examples of this.) I don't know about HD-DVD but if it was ready a year ago and is cheaper, then yeah PS3 should have gone with it but I don't think their studio supports it, whatever. It's just another part of the format wars, extended to gaming consoles.

I saw a program on TV where they were saying that video games are not the end game for microsoft and sony, they want their unit in your home as a means to an end, which I think they said was content through online.

Well I rambled and maybe got some things wrong but that's what I had to say about that. They should have just stuck to DVD! They are losing a ton of money on each unit this way, but I suppose they plan to make it up in the long run by getting the technology into your house.

Oh, Edit: When Sony was trying to justify the 25GB or whatever capacity, they said it would be useful so that they could store multiple languages on one disc and then be able to release one version all over the world. I don't think this feature is important to the consumers if it forces them to spend an extra $200 on the machine. I think that's a shitty rationale.

Last edited by Dead : 09-22-2006 at 02:06 AM.