Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Archives > General Chat Archive
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List

View Poll Results: Who will win the election?
Conservatices (Harper) 9 60.00%
Liberals (Dion) 5 33.33%
NDP (Layton) 1 6.67%
Voters: 15. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-07-2008, 10:19 AM   #1
Andrew_Pakula
Fine! I'll go make my own
web site. With Blackjack,
and Hookers... Actually,
forget the web site.

Default Canadian Election Thread

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servl...ory/Front/home

Quote:

Election called for Oct. 14
Campaign expected to begin later today

STEVEN CHASE
Globe and Mail Update and Canadian Press
September 7, 2008 at 10:00 AM EDT

OTTAWA — Conservative Leader Stephen Harper triggered a widely expected federal election campaign this morning, framing the vote set for Oct. 14 as a choice about who is best suited to lead Canada while the global economy stumbles.

The prime minister emerged from Rideau Hall, the official residence of Governor General Michaelle Jean to announce the coming vote after Ms. Jean granted his request to dissolve Parliament.

Mr. Harper defended his decision to call an election despite the fact he'd earlier vowed to fix the vote date for Oct. 19, 2009.

The Tory leader said his 31-month old minority government can no longer govern in a fractious Parliament and needs a new mandate from voters.

Mr. Harper took direct aim at his chief rival, Liberal Leader Stéphane Dion, over his proposed carbon tax, calling it a risky gamble Canadians should avoid.

"Between now and Oct. 14th, Canadians will choose a government to look out for their interests at a time of global economic trouble," the Conservative Leader said.

"They will choose between direction and uncertainty; between common sense or risky experiments; between steadiness or recklessness."

In what will likely be a regular riposte, the Liberals issued a press release Sunday under the headline "Conservative Broken Platform Promise of the Day," which quoted the Tory blue book of 2006.

"Elections are to be held every four years," said the 2006 Conservative campaign promise, "except when a government loses the confidence of the House."

Mr. Harper justified breaking his own law by saying Parliament, which was to resume Sept. 15, had become "dysfunctional" and by arguing he requires a fresh government mandate as the country sails into global economic turbulence.

Mr. Harper's managerial acumen in a slowing economy will be pitted against Mr. Dion's proposed carbon tax.

Mr. Harper said today as he kicked off his campaign that now is not the time to gamble on Mr. Dion's carbon tax.

"The opposition insists on large-sale spending and a new tax. But even they admit that their carbon tax proposal is a work in progress," he said.

"This tax will pack a cost on to every expenditure every family and every business makes."

"It's a message Mr. Harper is expected to pound home every day throughout the 37-day campaign.

Mr. Dion counters that his plan is revenue neutral — offset by income-tax cuts — and notes that carbon taxes have been endorsed by everyone from environmentalists to leading business groups.

"Between David Suzuki and the Conference Board (of Canada), we have a very large number of Canadians that Mr. Harper is calling crazy and insane," Mr. Dion said at a Liberal caucus meeting in Winnipeg this week.

Mr. Dion issued a news release today arguing that Canadians will be choosing "between two radically different visions for Canada: a progressive, ambitious and generous vision of a Liberal government or the narrow-minded, right-wing agenda of the Conservatives.

"Liberals know that Canadians are tired of this government and want change. We will give Canadians the principled, accountable and transparent government Stephen Harper promised and never delivered.

"Mr. Harper has a track record of breaking promises. He broke his word on accountability, income trusts, the Atlantic Accords and now he is doing it again by breaking his own fixed-date election law."

Mr. Harper's first stop on the election trail today will be Quebec City this afternoon.

All five major parties have their campaign plans ready, and the leaders are all expected to speak later in the day.

NDP Leader Jack Layton began his party's campaign by telling Canadians it is time to choose change.

Taking a page from the inspirational mantra of Democratic presidential candidate Barack Obama, Mr. Layton said he wants to bring a new way of doing business to Parliament Hill.

"Unlike Stephen Harper, I'll be a Prime Minister who puts you and your family first," he told reporters and about 100 supporters who gathered behind Hull's Museum of Civilization where the Parliament Buildings provided a scenic backdrop.

Mr. Layton lambasted Mr. Harper for what he said was a failure to protect jobs, make life more affordable for Canadian families, reduce heath care waiting times and protect the environment.

"Unlike Stephen Harper," he said, "I'll act on the priorities of the kitchen table, not just the boardroom table."

On Saturday, Mr. Harper said he expects the upcoming election campaign to be "very nasty" with him as a target.

"I anticipate a very nasty, personal attack campaign," he said in an interview with CTV. "That's what the opposition's done in the past.

"Whether Canadians agree with what we're doing or not, I don't think they're going to believe the kind of personal attacks and scare tactics we've seen in the past."

Old 09-07-2008, 02:50 PM   #2
Future Boy
The Man of Tomorrow

I must admit, Im going with my gut on this one.

Old 09-07-2008, 03:52 PM   #3
Travis Meeks
Rambling on

lol

Old 09-07-2008, 04:00 PM   #4
RopeyLopey
Braindead

in one month and one week and all those millions CAD down the road for organizing these elections, we will be where we are now.

Old 09-07-2008, 04:36 PM   #5
Gish08
Apocalyptic Poster

Go Dion.

Old 09-07-2008, 04:42 PM   #6
Travis Meeks
Rambling on

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gish08 View Post
Go Dion.
is she running as a VP?

Old 09-09-2008, 12:05 PM   #7
MrPantyFAce
Apocalyptic Poster

i'm going to donate to the ndp this year.

Old 09-09-2008, 02:23 PM   #8
Andrew_Pakula
and Hookers... Actually,
forget the web site.

http://www.notaleader.ca/

"do you think its easy to load websites?" lol

Old 09-11-2008, 12:08 PM   #9
Gish08
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis Meeks View Post
is she running as a VP?

Old 09-11-2008, 12:24 PM   #10
pale_princess
spanish harlem mona lisa

you forgot "bloc" and "other"

Old 09-11-2008, 12:37 PM   #11
christian zombie vampires
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by RopeyLopey View Post
in one month and one week and all those millions CAD down the road for organizing these elections, we will be where we are now.
totally, only NDP will gain a lot of seats in ontario and quebec and green will get their first real seat.

Old 09-11-2008, 12:50 PM   #12
pale_princess
spanish harlem mona lisa

pakula close this thread til you edit the options.

Old 09-11-2008, 01:40 PM   #13
Andrew_Pakula
and Hookers... Actually,
forget the web site.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pale_princess View Post
pakula close this thread til you edit the options.
The Question is who will win the election.

The Bloc have zero chance of winning as they are regional party and will never form the government.

The NDP also in reality have zero percent chance of winning the election but at least they are a national party and could even form the official opposition if the conditions are right so they are relevant.

"other" is not a valid option as there is no other party that can win.

Old 09-11-2008, 02:02 PM   #14
pale_princess
spanish harlem mona lisa

oh my bad. i thought it was who are you voting for?

Old 10-07-2008, 12:22 AM   #15
MrPantyFAce
Apocalyptic Poster

anyone watch the debates? i thought may came out pretty good.

Old 10-07-2008, 12:29 AM   #16
Ol' Couch Ass
Socialphobic

hey pantyface please come back over to the general board...the place really misses you.

Old 10-07-2008, 01:53 AM   #17
threetwooneZERO
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPantyFAce View Post
anyone watch the debates? i thought may came out pretty good.
Doesn't matter, it's just a matter of time before the green party is merged with NDP.

May needs a little gum reduction.

Old 10-07-2008, 02:16 AM   #18
MrPantyFAce
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by threetwooneZERO View Post
Doesn't matter, it's just a matter of time before the green party is merged with NDP.

May needs a little gum reduction.
if those morons were to do that now, they'd be in the lead with popular vote. with the conservatives at only 32.

Old 10-08-2008, 05:20 PM   #19
threetwooneZERO
Apocalyptic Poster

There are too many political parties IMO. It's ridiculous.