Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Archives > Pumpkins Archive
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 06-19-2012, 07:32 PM   #1
slippedonshoe
Pledge

Thumbs down Billy's imploding voice

Listening to Oceania I realize what really puts me off his new stuff: His voice. It just doesn't sound as engaging as his old voice. There's not as much emotion in it anymore. It almost seems as if he's trying to sound more mature and not as weepy as in the old days. I cannot imagine him singing "Today" or "33" with his new voice and making the songs work as well as with his old voice. And one more thing: Where the heck does "Oceania" sound like Old School Pumpkins? I expected a heavy album and instead we get 11 songs reminiscent of elevator music. The first two songs rock but the remaining songs are ruined by Billy's lame-ass voice AND the lame melodies reminiscent of ZWAN crap.

Old 06-19-2012, 07:35 PM   #2
Catherine Wheel
Banned

His voice definitely sinks the quality of the album.

Old 06-19-2012, 08:09 PM   #3
iPumpkin
Ownz

Best Bill vocals in 10-12 years.

Old 06-19-2012, 08:11 PM   #4
Trotskilicious
Banned

Location: I believe in the transcendental qualities of friendship.

yeah i'm not buying all this whining about his vox on the album, i actually kind of enjoy some of the things he does with his vocals. honestly it seems he's actually thinking about how to sing it or deliver it instead of just belting it out with every emotional bone in his body. we can't all be angsty 20 somethings forever.

guys i dunno if you know this but the older you get the less incredibly emotional and important it all seems, so uh

Old 06-19-2012, 08:56 PM   #5
redbreegull
Just Hook it to My Veins!

agreed his voice is better on this album. Still wish he would stick some reverb or something on it but at least it is mixed back a bit

Old 06-19-2012, 09:31 PM   #6
slippedonshoe
Pledge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trotskilicious View Post
yeah i'm not buying all this whining about his vox on the album, i actually kind of enjoy some of the things he does with his vocals. honestly it seems he's actually thinking about how to sing it or deliver it instead of just belting it out with every emotional bone in his body. we can't all be angsty 20 somethings forever.

guys i dunno if you know this but the older you get the less incredibly emotional and important it all seems, so uh
So phoning it in is okay instead of just calling it a day? What great things does Billy do with his voice on OCEANIA? He sounds monotonous in vain search for a melody. He sounds tired and old. Even on ZEITGEIST he sounded better.

Old 06-19-2012, 11:26 PM   #7
meangreensp
Ownz

Quote:
Originally Posted by slippedonshoe View Post
So phoning it in is okay instead of just calling it a day? What great things does Billy do with his voice on OCEANIA? He sounds monotonous in vain search for a melody. He sounds tired and old. Even on ZEITGEIST he sounded better.
Hahahahahahahhaha.

Fuck off.

Corgan's vocals are way better here.

And, sorry that it's not metul snuff for u. Not MCIS.

His voice is definitely not that good anymore, but it's the best it's been in years here.

Old 06-19-2012, 11:36 PM   #8
fluxequalsrad
Apocalyptic Poster

His vocals need more reverb/delay. It is beyond me why every single aging musician dries up their studio treatment in the vocal booth - is this a pride thing or something?

Billy even back upped his guitars with too much verb, which seems completely at odds with his whole 'metal ideology'...

Old 06-20-2012, 01:22 AM   #9
BlissedandGone2
Minion of Satan

Location: You don't play guitar hero if you are a guitar hero.

stop making this fucking thread