Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Smashing Pumpkins Boards > Smashing Pumpkins/Billy Corgan Discussion
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 03-25-2023, 12:18 PM   #1
Ram27
dumb

Default Better than atum

like, synth and edrums don't necessarily have to be bad and bland and evoke nothing, they're just chronically misused by corgan.

this sample sounds like the gish snare compared to atum

Old 03-25-2023, 12:57 PM   #2
TheAlter
Apocalyptic Poster

Still a pretty fucking cold and desperate affair compared to hybrid masterpieces like DM's Ultra or Radiohead's HttT

Old 03-25-2023, 02:24 PM   #3
redbreegull
Just Hook it to My Veins!

Talking

HTTT is the weakest Radiohead album*

*Elphenor will be triggered

Old 03-25-2023, 02:26 PM   #4
redbreegull

But I agree, it's just that his execution and the literal sounds are poor. The sounds/tones he uses are evocative of the presets on a toy keyboard. I'm not sure why he has been unable to move past this, because yes, plenty of artists manage to utilize synth in a really classy way in the context of guitar music

Old 03-25-2023, 02:27 PM   #5
redbreegull

And for instance, the Adore synth sounds are super "dated" but they just sound fucking good and sophisticated in the context, whereas with Atum I want to synths to disappear because they are bad and distracting

I think it was on Oceania that I realized like dang even when Bill spits out quality songs, I'm gonna have to learn to deal with poorly executed synth all over the studio versions of everything forever. Whatever happened to using synths to beef up songs and add atmosphere without being like WONK WONK WONK I AM A BORING SYNTH TONE INTERRUPTING THIS SONG WHICH OTHERWISE WOULD SEEM WELL ORCHESTRATED WONK WONK WONK

Old 03-25-2023, 03:02 PM   #6
TheAlter
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbreegull View Post
HTTT is the weakest Radiohead album

Old 03-25-2023, 05:17 PM   #7
ilikeplanets
Braindead

Quote:

I think it was on Oceania that I realized like dang even when Bill spits out quality songs, I'm gonna have to learn to deal with poorly executed synth all over the studio versions of everything forever.
And which quality Oceania track led to this realization? I must have missed that one

Old 03-25-2023, 07:03 PM   #8
T&T
Socialphobic

enosification is a skill. not one that billy possesses in the least.

can you guys just imagine billy doing his guitar thing and then brian eno shows up to add a light touch of synth as needed (think actung baby). damn would that be sweet...

Old 03-26-2023, 12:41 AM   #9
redbreegull

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilikeplanets View Post
And which quality Oceania track led to this realization? I must have missed that one
haha fair, but like imagine My Love Is Winter and Panopticon recorded how they were played live before the release

Old 03-26-2023, 12:50 AM   #10
redbreegull

I mean you don't even have to, there's plenty of live recordings of so many songs over the last two decades which have been brought down by the in-studio synthesizer, it's actually fucking hard to understand

Old 03-26-2023, 04:05 AM   #11
ilikeplanets
Braindead

It does seem like intentional sabotage sometimes. There's no way he can't hear how much worse that terrible synth makes basically every song. No fucking wonder he can't remember any of his song titles, because they're all the same crap.

Old 03-26-2023, 04:20 AM   #12
redbreegull

the funniest part of it is that in terms of the production, he's basically said over and over he needs to produce new music that sounds this way (loud synths, loud vox) because that's how people do it now and no one will listen otherwise

like dude. no. no one produces music the way you do. it sounds like shit.
the concept of him thinking this is what audiences want (while also simultaneously trying to buck what audiences want) is some real mental backflipping

Old 03-26-2023, 04:38 AM   #13
enthusaroo
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
It does seem like intentional sabotage sometimes. There's no way he can't hear how much worse that terrible synth makes basically every song. No fucking wonder he can't remember any of his song titles, because they're all the same crap.
this 100%

Old 03-26-2023, 04:40 AM   #14
enthusaroo
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
the funniest part of it is that in terms of the production, he's basically said over and over he needs to produce new music that sounds this way (loud synths, loud vox) because that's how people do it now and no one will listen otherwise

the concept of him thinking this is what audiences want (while also simultaneously trying to buck what audiences want) is some real mental backflipping
it's because he had a vision 30+ years ago with Siamese Dream and the dude still thinks he has a vision, except that vision is sadly long lost well.. he has A vision but not the one that makes good music that people with taste enjoy listening to

Old 03-26-2023, 04:49 AM   #15
redbreegull

This conversation could get pretty abstract and it has many times, but I really think Billy not listening to new music has had a big impact on his own music getting so stale and low in quality. Around Adore, he said he had stopped listening to new rock and was mostly listening to Mountain's greatest hits.

In the Zeitgeist era, some interviewer asked him what new bands he was into, and the guy literally could not think of any new artists he likes. He said the last new rock band that was interesting to him was the mars volta.

yeah no wonder you write shit songs now man you're like my fuckin dad

Old 03-26-2023, 04:50 AM   #16
redbreegull

except my dad hates synths

Old 03-26-2023, 07:50 AM   #17
New Art Rioter
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:

The great Corgan irony, the more he chases his perception of what will make him popular the less the albums sell

Old 03-26-2023, 12:12 PM   #18
Ram27
dumb

Quote:

i like how he won't write in the SD sound again because it's cheap to repeat a sound or whatever, but the last 200 fucking songs have the exact same shitty synth soundscape

Old 03-26-2023, 12:50 PM   #19
ilikeplanets
Braindead

Yeah, what's the difference between Cyr and Atum except for the storyline? Legit question

Old 03-26-2023, 12:51 PM   #20
ilikeplanets
Braindead

I guess Atum has a happier tone overall but they're more similar than any other 2 albums

I think Zeitgeist and MTAE are probably the next most similar pair

Old 03-26-2023, 12:54 PM   #21
MyKeyZ
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Meanwhile no one is listening.

Old 03-26-2023, 01:43 PM   #22
Forgotten Child
Apocalyptic Poster

Question

Matt Walker's of1000faces is much more interesting, synth-wise. I know it's a different approach, but the song Laos is an example of what Billy should've done

Old 03-26-2023, 01:44 PM   #23
T&T
Socialphobic

cyr was like complete synth driven songs.
Atum's got quite a lot of guitars on it (I'd say it's a 50/50). The guitars have this "scorpions" tone to them, not very SP in the least...

Billy credits his SD tone to the EHX microsynth > fuzz. so even at that point he's had the synth bug. Evebn their studio cyber metal blurs the lines between a buzzsaw guitar and buzzsaw synth.

Old 03-26-2023, 01:52 PM   #24
VoxUpDoc
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Yeah, what's the difference between Cyr and Atum except for the storyline? Legit question
Cyr is better.

Old 03-26-2023, 02:06 PM   #25
TheAlter
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by T&T View Post
Billy credits his SD tone to the EHX microsynth > fuzz.
Further proof he's a fucken imposter. Everyone knows the SD tone is a fuzz into JCM800 + Jimmy's secret stash of Red Rum.

Old 03-27-2023, 11:15 AM   #26
Joey Goldberg
Minion of Satan

Quote:
HTTT is the weakest Radiohead album*

*Elphenor will be triggered
in the words of Thom Yorke on this very album, "no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no"

Old 03-27-2023, 02:01 PM   #27
redbreegull

dude 2+2 doesn't equal 5 though I mean get real, Thom. who the fuck is gonna believe that