Netphoria Message Board


Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Smashing Pumpkins Boards > Smashing Pumpkins/Billy Corgan Discussion
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-09-2014, 02:04 AM   #241
Trotskilicious
Banned
 
Trotskilicious's Avatar
 
Location: I believe in the transcendental qualities of friendship.
Posts: 39,439
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elphenor View Post
He's missing the point of the word in terms of Art pretty hard.
it's because he doesn't seem to understand it

art, that is.

 
Trotskilicious is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 02:04 AM   #242
Kreatorkind
Demi-God
 
Kreatorkind's Avatar
 
Location: Chicago
Posts: 330
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trotskilicious View Post
let me guess, you never got around to going to college did you
I'm not trying to be combative... the definition is correct. I'm not going to say I am incorrect when, in fact, based on the definition, I am correct.

Were Tommy Lee and John Bonham not alive at the same time, both drumming in rock bands? If they were in fact both alive and drummers in rock bands at the same time, please explain how that does not make them contemporaries. Note, "contemporary" does not mean "as successful or famous as".

 
Kreatorkind is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 02:07 AM   #243
Trotskilicious
Banned
 
Trotskilicious's Avatar
 
Location: I believe in the transcendental qualities of friendship.
Posts: 39,439
Default

no you goddamn shithead, that's what it means in this context. you can drag out your m-w cut and paste job whenever you want but ultimately the rest of us think you need a fucking dunce cap if you consider tommy lee and john bonham to be contemporaries

but seriously dare to be stupid, i mean whatever just go ahead and be as dumb as you wanna be

 
Trotskilicious is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 02:08 AM   #244
Kreatorkind
Demi-God
 
Kreatorkind's Avatar
 
Location: Chicago
Posts: 330
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trotskilicious View Post
it's because he doesn't seem to understand or study art but he assumes that he does because he is one of those guys that plays open mics and calls it his "show".
Making things up may impress your lackies, but it doesn't make you smart or right.

 
Kreatorkind is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 02:08 AM   #245
Trotskilicious
Banned
 
Trotskilicious's Avatar
 
Location: I believe in the transcendental qualities of friendship.
Posts: 39,439
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kreatorkind View Post
I'm not trying to be combative... the definition is correct. I'm not going to say I am incorrect when, in fact, based on the definition, I am correct.

Were Tommy Lee and John Bonham not alive at the same time, both drumming in rock bands? If they were in fact both alive and drummers in rock bands at the same time, please explain how that does not make them contemporaries. Note, "contemporary" does not mean "as successful or famous as".
we already explained this to you

seriously what did you drop out of community college? holy fucking shit, there's like a half dozen people plus in this thread right now laughing at you and you're too fucking clueless to go "oh okay i guess I'm wrong"

 
Trotskilicious is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 02:09 AM   #246
Trotskilicious
Banned
 
Trotskilicious's Avatar
 
Location: I believe in the transcendental qualities of friendship.
Posts: 39,439
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kreatorkind View Post
Making things up may impress your lackies, but it doesn't make you smart or right.
oh good you're talking about lackies now

yes kreator me and my lackies have meetings about how we're going to gang up on the next stupid thing you say






if you only knew what i've done for you...

 
Trotskilicious is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 02:09 AM   #247
Kreatorkind
Demi-God
 
Kreatorkind's Avatar
 
Location: Chicago
Posts: 330
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trotskilicious View Post
no you goddamn shithead, that's what it means in this context. you can drag out your m-w cut and paste job whenever you want but ultimately the rest of us think you need a fucking dunce cap if you consider tommy lee and john bonham to be contemporaries

but seriously dare to be stupid, i mean whatever just go ahead and be as dumb as you wanna be
No. it doesn't mean "as successful as" in any context. Words mean things. Look them up.

 
Kreatorkind is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 02:10 AM   #248
amoergosum
Minion of Satan
 
amoergosum's Avatar
 
Posts: 6,007
Default

Billy posted the latest update also on his Facebook page...most liked comments >>>

"Lellius Rose
I believe I can speak for I can speak for many, many SP fans by expressing my sincere and genuine appreciation for Mike Byrne and Nicole Fiorentino and their artistic contributions to SP over the past 3-4 years. William Patrick Corgan , if you don't want to publicly discuss internal personal goings on in the band, then that's your right, however I think the least you could do is to simply acknowledge their existence and how much they contributed to your renewed success."

"Ivan Gonzalez
I would have preferred Josh Freese, but whatever. No one will ever outdo Jimmy Chamberlin."

 
amoergosum is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 02:12 AM   #249
Kreatorkind
Demi-God
 
Kreatorkind's Avatar
 
Location: Chicago
Posts: 330
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trotskilicious View Post
if you only knew what i've done for you...
I'm not trying to fight with you. If you don't want me around, and you're a mod here, why not just ban me?

 
Kreatorkind is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 02:15 AM   #250
Araneae
Apocalyptic Poster
 
Posts: 1,887
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kreatorkind View Post
I'm not trying to be combative... the definition is correct. I'm not going to say I am incorrect when, in fact, based on the definition, I am correct.

Were Tommy Lee and John Bonham not alive at the same time, both drumming in rock bands? If they were in fact both alive and drummers in rock bands at the same time, please explain how that does not make them contemporaries. Note, "contemporary" does not mean "as successful or famous as".
You have been combative this whole time, which you incited. Your inability to admit that you're wrong, and then act like a complete asshole during this whole thing, speaks volumes. Stop asking people to look up "words" when you don't understand them yourself. Go ahead, call up your local museum, university, or college and ask a professor what "contemporaries of" means. Fuck, I'm sure a random person on the street could even tell you.

It's amazing how you keep clinging to one broad definition from a dictionary, in which you don't even understand, just to try and prove your ridiculous point while completely ignoring every single other one from that dictionary.

Where it states "same time or age" it literally mean that the two came about at the same time/age. In this context, Tommy Lee came AFTER Bonham (much later).

 
Araneae is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 02:17 AM   #251
Trotskilicious
Banned
 
Trotskilicious's Avatar
 
Location: I believe in the transcendental qualities of friendship.
Posts: 39,439
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kreatorkind View Post
I'm not trying to fight with you. If you don't want me around, and you're a mod here, why not just ban me?
i mean, maybe one day i'll tell you of how amazingly ironic this question is.

someday.

 
Trotskilicious is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 02:20 AM   #252
Kreatorkind
Demi-God
 
Kreatorkind's Avatar
 
Location: Chicago
Posts: 330
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Araneae View Post
You have been combative this whole time, which you incited. Your inability to admit that you're wrong, and then act like a complete asshole during this whole thing, speaks volumes. Stop asking people to look up "words" when you don't understand them yourself. Go ahead, call up your local museum, university, or college and ask a professor what "contemporaries of" means. Fuck, I'm sure a random person on the street could even tell you.

It's amazing how you keep clinging to one broad definition from a dictionary, in which you don't even understand, just to try and prove your ridiculous point while completely ignoring every single other one from that dictionary.

Where it states "same time or age" it literally mean that the two came about at the same time/age. In this context, Tommy Lee came AFTER Bonham (much later).
How am I being a complete asshole? I haven't resorted to name-calling. I haven't insulted you in any way in this conversation. I understand the words just fine.

Bonham was 14 years older than Tommy Lee. That doesn't qualify as much later. Daniel Johns and Billy Corgan are 12 years apart... they're contemporaries.

I'm sure I could find lots of people who would think that two drummers in rock bands in the late 70's could be considered contemporaries.

Last edited by Kreatorkind : 05-09-2014 at 02:31 AM.

 
Kreatorkind is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 02:31 AM   #253
Araneae
Apocalyptic Poster
 
Posts: 1,887
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kreatorkind View Post
How am I being a complete asshole? I haven't resorted to name-calling. I haven't insulted you in any way in this conversation. I understand the words just fine.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kreatorkind View Post
"Words... what do they mean?"
Yeah, that wasn't meant to be insulting at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kreatorkind View Post
Bonham was 14 years older than Tommy Lee. That doesn't qualify as much later.

I'm sure I could find lots of people who would think that two drummers in rock bands in the late 70's could be considered contemporaries.
You still don't get it. Zeppelin formed in the 60s. Playing a couple of shows in "suite 19" in the very late 70s does not make them contemporaries, it also does not equate to the work that Bonham was producing with Zeppelin (unless of course Zeppelin was also a local American band playing in their mother's basement at the same time as Tommy was).

14 years is still a significant generational difference, especially since one was from England while the other was from America (two vastly different cultures, especially at the time). They didn't belong to the same movement/school of thought. I've tried to explain this to you in at least 3 different ways and you keep getting stuck on the fact that they were alive at the same time at one point.

 
Araneae is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 02:35 AM   #254
Funbags
Apocalyptic Poster
 
Funbags's Avatar
 
Posts: 3,047
Default

Gawd...shuut uuuup.

 
Funbags is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 02:40 AM   #255
Elphenor
Braindead
 
Elphenor's Avatar
 
Location: Shivers
Posts: 16,188
Default

I play in a band and Billy plays in a band.

I am Billy's contemporary

 
Elphenor is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 02:42 AM   #256
Kreatorkind
Demi-God
 
Kreatorkind's Avatar
 
Location: Chicago
Posts: 330
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Araneae View Post
Yeah, that wasn't meant to be insulting at all.



You still don't get it. Zeppelin formed in the 60s. Playing a couple of shows in "suite 19" in the very late 70s does not make them contemporaries, it also does not equate to the work that Bonham was producing with Zeppelin (unless of course Zeppelin was also a local American band playing in their mother's basement at the same time as Tommy was).

14 years is still a significant generational difference, especially since one was from England while the other was from America (two vastly different cultures, especially at the time). They didn't belong to the same movement/school of thought. I've tried to explain this to you in at least 3 different ways and you keep getting stuck on the fact that they were alive at the same time at one point.
Yeah, the "Words... what do they mean?" comment was snarky, but it isn't insulting or assholish... certainly not by internet standards. You may have a different view... I apologize if that was insulting to you.

14 years isn't that big of a difference. My brother is 18 years older than me. We're still from the same generation (parentally speaking). I think you replied after my edit, Daniel Johns from Silverchair is 12 years younger than Billy, but they're contemporaries.

Suite 19 was playing on sunset strip in LA... not mom's basement. I understand what you're saying and I see why you disagree with me, but they are also both rock drummers that were working in the same basic form at the same time. There was an overlap. This is really just an argument over semantics... so, I'm going to stop now.

 
Kreatorkind is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 02:55 AM   #257
amoergosum
Minion of Satan
 
amoergosum's Avatar
 
Posts: 6,007
Default

"karenmandall
#brooklynbowl is the place to be tonight! #janesaddiction just saw Tommy Lee and Billy Corgan cone in together to see the show!"



"karenmandall
I had a nice conversation with Billy Corgan before the Janes Addiction concert about music and Tommy Lee recording with Smashing Pumpkins. He's super nice it was great to meet him!"


 
amoergosum is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 03:00 AM   #258
Cool As Ice Cream
Just Hook it to My Veins!
 
Cool As Ice Cream's Avatar
 
Location: František! How's the foot of your turtle?
Posts: 32,372
Default

coning in together, eh? I KNEW IT!

 
Cool As Ice Cream is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 03:06 AM   #259
Araneae
Apocalyptic Poster
 
Posts: 1,887
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kreatorkind View Post
Yeah, the "Words... what do they mean?" comment was snarky, but it isn't insulting or assholish... certainly not by internet standards. You may have a different view... I apologize if that was insulting to you.

14 years isn't that big of a difference. My brother is 18 years older than me. We're still from the same generation (parentally speaking). I think you replied after my edit, Daniel Johns from Silverchair is 12 years younger than Billy, but they're contemporaries.

Suite 19 was playing on sunset strip in LA... not mom's basement. I understand what you're saying and I see why you disagree with me, but they are also both rock drummers that were working in the same basic form at the same time. There was an overlap. This is really just an argument over semantics... so, I'm going to stop now.
So your reasoning is that because Bonham was a drummer, Tommy's a drummer, and they were alive at the same time at one point, that makes them contemporaries?

I'm just going to repost this because it's probably the best and simplest way to explain it: where it states "same time or age" it literally mean that the two came about at the same time/age.

Age delineates a period of time that has a specific set of ideals or characteristics (i.e. a movement). SP, Nirvana, Pearl Jam, Hole, etc all belonged to the alternative early 90s movement.

But yes, since it's very obvious that this is going in circles, let's just agree to disagree then.

 
Araneae is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 03:21 AM   #260
null123
Minion of Satan
 
Location: bye
Posts: 7,266
Default

billy wanted to find someone whose hasbeen status could make him look relatively relevant

 
null123 is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 03:27 AM   #261
null123
Minion of Satan
 
Location: bye
Posts: 7,266
Default

i think to save the band billy needs to go in a room and practice screaming uncontrollably every day until his vocals don't sound airless and stilted and/or his vocal cords catch on fire because right now i don't think i can ever listen to this band again with billy singing. the musical chairs with the drummers doesn't even matter until that is resolved imho.

 
null123 is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 03:36 AM   #262
Cool As Ice Cream
Just Hook it to My Veins!
 
Cool As Ice Cream's Avatar
 
Location: František! How's the foot of your turtle?
Posts: 32,372
Default

"can't sing. have laryngitis."

 
Cool As Ice Cream is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 03:38 AM   #263
null123
Minion of Satan
 
Location: bye
Posts: 7,266
Default

like it just sounds like the muscles in his throat are really tight. i swear it's a technique thing and not an age thing. he never smoked or drank heavily, he just needs to loosen up. it sounds like he's singing with his neck in a vice

 
null123 is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 04:04 AM   #264
Elphenor
Braindead
 
Elphenor's Avatar
 
Location: Shivers
Posts: 16,188
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charmbag View Post
i think to save the band billy needs to go in a room and practice screaming uncontrollably every day until his vocals don't sound airless and stilted and/or his vocal cords catch on fire because right now i don't think i can ever listen to this band again with billy singing. the musical chairs with the drummers doesn't even matter until that is resolved imho.
Exactly.
Like, wtf happened to this dude's voice?

 
Elphenor is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 04:43 AM   #265
pavementtune
**************
 
pavementtune's Avatar
 
Location: I'm a quitter. I come from a long line of quitters. It's amazing I'm here at all.
Posts: 8,660
Default

It's weird, I can't get my ears to listen to his voice objectively or something. So many people keep saying how awful is singing is now, but I only hear some better days/songs and some where he didn't sound good. Which also seems to depend on if he enjoys it or not imo. But I don't hear how his voice is generally worse than in 2007.

Like here, Stand Inside Your Love 1:30-2:00

2013, 5th concert within a week, and he was sick:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pmbsUJa7X9Y

compared to 2007
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ARyTtisFqBA


Maybe I'm deaf, but in this case I think he sounded better in 2013 than in 2007.

Last edited by pavementtune : 05-09-2014 at 04:48 AM.

 
pavementtune is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 04:46 AM   #266
Elphenor
Braindead
 
Elphenor's Avatar
 
Location: Shivers
Posts: 16,188
Default

Idk, he still sounded okay during Zwan but after the first reformation is where he really lost it.

 
Elphenor is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 05:18 AM   #267
amoergosum
Minion of Satan
 
amoergosum's Avatar
 
Posts: 6,007
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pavementtune View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by juliana View Post


Teehee

...sounds like Nicole is still in the (touring) band.

 
amoergosum is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 05:19 AM   #268
Cool As Ice Cream
Just Hook it to My Veins!
 
Cool As Ice Cream's Avatar
 
Location: František! How's the foot of your turtle?
Posts: 32,372
Default




 
Cool As Ice Cream is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 05:27 AM   #269
amoergosum
Minion of Satan
 
amoergosum's Avatar
 
Posts: 6,007
Default

At this point it's just ridiculous that there's no clear statement....not from Billy...not from Nicole...not from Mike....fuck...even a diplomatic 'because of creative differences we decided to blablabla...' would be fine.

 
amoergosum is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 05:33 AM   #270
Cool As Ice Cream
Just Hook it to My Veins!
 
Cool As Ice Cream's Avatar
 
Location: František! How's the foot of your turtle?
Posts: 32,372
Default

maybe he's not out at all. maybe billy didn't tell them anything, and they read about that other drummer guy, and they assumed mike burns was out, and then nicole started tweeting about we need to find this drummer a new band and whatnot.
if that was the case, then i guess he might be out after all, even if he wasn't in the first place.

or maybe he's out, and has known for months, but wasn't supposed to talk about it? people seem to assume billy didn't let him know about this in a decent way, but who knows what happened? they can have had a proper conversation about it, a long time ago.

 
Cool As Ice Cream is offline
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Google


Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
PAVEMENT COVERING 1978! dean_r_koontz Pumpkins Archive 28 04-01-2012 04:43 AM
Console/PC Gamers - games currently playing? ChristHimself! General Chat Archive 1690 03-02-2012 07:40 PM
9/11/01..........9/11/11 The Omega Concern General Chat Archive 70 09-30-2011 07:28 PM
Fat Mike's Cokie The Clown performance Mo Music Board Archive 3 03-25-2010 05:24 PM
COUNTERCULTURE MAINSTREAM Jesus Cambodia Pumpkins Archive 5 01-17-2009 10:24 AM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:52 PM.




Smashing Pumpkins, Alternative Music
& General Discussion Message Board and Forums
www.netphoria.org - Copyright © 1998-2022