Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Smashing Pumpkins Boards > Smashing Pumpkins/Billy Corgan Discussion
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 09-20-2022, 12:57 AM   #91
Big Truck05
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squish Squash View Post
I do find it hysterical how he seemingly can’t write great songs without D’Arcy in his band, considering how much he tried to paint her as useless.
"the" band is gone my bro

Old 09-20-2022, 12:58 AM   #92
Squish Squash
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by enthusaroo View Post
How awesome would it be if this podcast wasn't scripted and Billy just casually said something like.. well you know to be honest I really lost my ability to write a good song.. it seems I've written everything in the past.. and can't seem to come up with anything new that's original.

Man, that would be so humble and cool.. but then I remembered this is Billy and it's spaceships and conspiracy and dumb ego and pretentious speak
He’s never been humble. Although he did pretend to be at times in the 90s. At least back then he backed up his arrogance with some of the best rock music ever written.

Old 09-20-2022, 12:58 AM   #93
ourruseoffools
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
I do find it hysterical how he seemingly can’t write great songs without D’Arcy in his band, considering how much he tried to paint her as useless.
she was an unconventional muse for him... with darcy in his life he constantly had something to prove... when she fell on bad times he felt as though he 'won'

Old 09-20-2022, 12:59 AM   #94
Squish Squash
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Truck05 View Post
"the" band is gone my bro
Yeah because she was the only person who would push back on his bullshit.

Old 09-20-2022, 01:00 AM   #95
Big Truck05
Apocalyptic Poster

I don't know if anyone here watches Succession, but now is a good time to play, "Good Tweet, Bad Tweet"

Old 09-20-2022, 01:00 AM   #96
Squish Squash
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by ourruseoffools View Post
she was an unconventional muse for him... with darcy in his life he constantly had something to prove... when she fell on bad times he felt as though he 'won'
I really do think this is it. They had a very strange relationship although somewhat mutually beneficial at one point in time. I imagine D’Arcy would rather have never met him by this point though.

Old 09-20-2022, 01:01 AM   #97
Squish Squash
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
I don't know if anyone here watches Succession, but now is a good time to play, "Good Tweet, Bad Tweet"
Speaking of bad tweets check out Joyce Carol Oates’ Twitter.

Old 09-20-2022, 01:11 AM   #98
enthusaroo
Apocalyptic Poster

I wish D'arcy would put out a solo album.. that would be an interesting thing.. curious what it would sound like.. Daydream type songs and lots of sweet bass

Old 09-20-2022, 01:13 AM   #99
Disco King
Minion of Satan

Listening to this track now. I dunno, it sounds like boomer '80s hard rock except without the hook.

It's not terrible like some other recent output. It's just boring and not my kind of music. This is for uncles who like Van Halen.

Old 09-20-2022, 01:14 AM   #100
Gooch
Apocalyptic Poster

It’s got a fuckin clap track for fucks sake

Old 09-20-2022, 01:15 AM   #101
jimmy drevpile
Apocalyptic Poster

I like it. Looking forward to the album.

Old 09-20-2022, 01:29 AM   #102
houseofglass11
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ourruseoffools View Post
idk i feel like as much hate as the synths of sp2 gets, the RAWK songs with no synth layers are so dry and lifeless

the everlasting gaze is a good example, my friend always points out how the huge, unique sounding synths in the chorus of that track breaks up the big dumb (yet awesome) riffiness of the verse
Pretty sure that’s just spacey guitar during the chorus of TEG.

Also whoever said it’s nice not to hear synth, Beguiled has synth all over it. Also Butterfly Suite sounds 100% like a CYR outtake. It’s not bad but it’s definitely synth heavy.

Old 09-20-2022, 01:31 AM   #103
enthusaroo
Apocalyptic Poster

Butterfly Suite was cougared for Cyr just couldn't make the cut

Old 09-20-2022, 01:32 AM   #104
Butt Pope
Apocalyptic Poster

Pee pee poo poo

Give me good reputation

Old 09-20-2022, 01:33 AM   #105
Squish Squash
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
I wish D'arcy would put out a solo album.. that would be an interesting thing.. curious what it would sound like.. Daydream type songs and lots of sweet bass
Not sure how coherent it would be. She’s never really been the same person since her breakdown in 1999. I think an album before she was overtaken by her demons could have been interesting though. I always liked her singing…her live backing vocals (well most of the time sometimes she had bad nights), she complimented his voice well. Despite what some people say I liked her bass playing during live shows as well. She’s certainly not Geezer Butler, but she’s solid and has good tone. And Beautiful is one of the best SP songs IMO and she was obviously a huge part of that.

Old 09-20-2022, 01:34 AM   #106
brothahi4L
Apocalyptic Poster

Guitars on beguiled, but no chorus...his songwriting is horrible...where the fuck is the chorus???

This is worse than i ever imagined

Old 09-20-2022, 01:34 AM   #107
Squish Squash
Apocalyptic Poster

I’m currently listening to TAFH (the song). Can you imagine Billy writing something like that now? It’s unthinkable lol

Old 09-20-2022, 01:34 AM   #108
enthusaroo
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by brothahi4L View Post
Guitars on beguiled, but no chorus...his songwriting is horrible...where the fuck is the chorus???

This is worse than i ever imagined
after going through Shiny and Cyr I imagined it

Old 09-20-2022, 01:36 AM   #109
Squish Squash
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
after going through Shiny and Cyr I imagined it
I honestly thought going back to guitar driven music and having James back would help him but apparently not.

Old 09-20-2022, 01:41 AM   #110
brothahi4L
Apocalyptic Poster

It is all corgan....should this be contemporary music? The song goes nowhere......i live in the past...fine for me....what a comeback...what an outstanding first single...it will blow people's minds...

Old 09-20-2022, 02:13 AM   #111
teh b0lly!!1
Braindead

Boring stale ass palm muted riff

In all of OG SP discography there's probably 2 songs with palm mutes on them and one of those songs is Fuck You

Non existent songwriting. Chug the riff and pound the drum and after 4 minutes it's done

Why is Jimmy's playing so fucking metronomic and boring. ZERO excitement. ZERO engagement. Might as well have recorded his drum part practicing to a click. He literally sounds exactly like a gazillion studio drummers now. It sucks. I hate it. What the fuck happened to you, man

Old 09-20-2022, 02:13 AM   #112
teh b0lly!!1
Braindead

FUCK

Old 09-20-2022, 02:27 AM   #113
teh b0lly!!1
Braindead

the clap track at the beginning comes off particularly cynical

tbh

Old 09-20-2022, 02:40 AM   #114
VoxUpDoc
Apocalyptic Poster

What is going on with Billy Corgan.

Like… I understand the defence when something fails that you were “trying new energies”… but when you’ve been ploughing the SAME “new energy” for 20 years KNOWING it has never succeeded and many hate it… plus the increasingly weird dresses despite being openly transphobic… the commitment to merging wrestling endeavours with the music after the failure of TbK…

At some point you’re not exploring new energies, you’re getting some sort of kick out of this one energy, that nobody else is. And the motives behind it seem weird. Or it’s just a result of a DIY mentality where nobody else is supporting the “band” but yes men wanting to keep their cash cow trucking.

At best it’s an ageing band and new-found family man having fun. I don’t hate the song. It seems we’re getting Cyr 2.0 and I’ll get some enjoyment out of it. It’s just disappointing knowing the potential being wasted on this weird vision and insistence on sounding ass. It is almost like this is all being phoned in as cynically as possible to milk less discerning fans for $500 vinyl box sets.

Last edited by VoxUpDoc : 09-20-2022 at 02:49 AM.

Old 09-20-2022, 02:44 AM   #115
Squish Squash
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by VoxUpDoc View Post
What is going on with Billy Corgan.

Like… I understand the defence when something fails that you were “trying new energies”… but when you’ve been ploughing the SAME “new energy” for 20 years… plus the increasingly weird dresses despite being openly transphobic… the commitment to merging wrestling endeavours with the music after the failure of TbK…

At some point you’re not exploring new energies, you’re getting some sort of kick out of this one energy, that nobody else is. And the motives behind it seem weird. Or it’s just a result of a DIY mentality where nobody else is supporting the “band” but yes men wanting to keep their cash cow trucking.

At best it’s an ageing band and new-found family man having fun. I don’t hate the song. It seems we’re getting Cyr 2.0 and I’ll get some enjoyment out of it. It’s just disappointing knowing the potential being wasted on this weird vision and insistence on sounding ass. It is almost like this is all being phoned in as cynically as possible to milk less discerning fans for $500 vinyl box sets.
But this is supposed to be MCIS 2.0. He's literally incapable of writing songs like the ones on MCIS now, I'm convinced.

Old 09-20-2022, 02:46 AM   #116
enthusaroo
Apocalyptic Poster

None of these songs are MCIS 2, not even close, only thing close is Shiny 3 / Cyr 2.. and it's a sequel to Machina only in name

Old 09-20-2022, 02:53 AM   #117
Big Truck05
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Speaking of bad tweets check out Joyce Carol Oates’ Twitter.
Stoke my memory. She was in the news a few months ago, correct? I remember seeing this name.

Old 09-20-2022, 02:54 AM   #118
Squish Squash
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
None of these songs are MCIS 2, not even close, only thing close is Shiny 3 / Cyr 2.. and it's a sequel to Machina only in name
He was insane to call it MCIS 2, that's like Paul McCartney announcing he was making "The White Album 2". But he can't help but be a self-aggrandizing pompous blowhard.

Old 09-20-2022, 02:59 AM   #119
Squish Squash
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Stoke my memory. She was in the news a few months ago, correct? I remember seeing this name.
She is a famous author who frequently tweets out insane stuff. Her most recent banger included this gem: [paraphrasing] "Queen Elizabeth evoked the bloody history of British colonialism in a benign way"

Also she tweeted out a nasty ass picture of her badly wounded and possibly infected foot once. She's had some other bizarre takes as well, and has also been Islamophobic.

Old 09-20-2022, 03:10 AM   #120
Big Truck05
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Yeah because she was the only person who would push back on his bullshit.
true... true