Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Smashing Pumpkins Boards > Smashing Pumpkins/Billy Corgan Discussion
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 09-19-2022, 11:01 PM   #61
enthusaroo
Apocalyptic Poster

Guys, this is an example of weird and creepy but fun and good music. I know different genre than SP.. but trying to give some people some hope that there is still new interesting music being made

Here is a musician and bunch of his weirdo friends but it's a cool vibe and the music is pleasing and enjoyable to the ears unlike the recent years of SP

Newest one from Louis Cole a few days ago, a short banger

Old 09-19-2022, 11:02 PM   #62
ourruseoffools
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by enthusaroo View Post
Here is a musician and bunch of his weirdo friends but it's a cool vibe and the music is pleasing and enjoyable to the ears unlike the recent years of SP

Old 09-19-2022, 11:13 PM   #63
Oklahoma Sexual
Apocalyptic Poster

Interesting video, song is whatever, wouldn't change the station if it played on radio, wouldn't share with my friends either

Old 09-19-2022, 11:23 PM   #64
dustrocck
Demi-God

This is embarrassingly bad. Chug chug chuggy chug guitar riff written in 20 seconds, mailed in drums, no hook, no melody to speak of.

He's lost the plot at this point, I don't think he actually has the ability to write a great song anymore.

Is it better than Solara? It's basically the same song just slowed down.

If you told me Jimmy was not part of the band at this point I would have believed it.

Edit: I'd rather listen to GLOW or Feelalol

Old 09-19-2022, 11:26 PM   #65
Big Truck05
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustrocck View Post
This is embarrassingly bad. Chug chug chuggy chug guitar riff written in 20 seconds, mailed in drums, no hook, no melody to speak of.

He's lost the plot at this point, I don't think he actually has the ability to write a great song anymore.

Is it better than Solara? It's basically the same song just slowed down.

If you told me Jimmy was not part of the band at this point I would have believed it.

Edit: I'd rather listen to GLOW or Feelalol

I agree. Songs mediocre at best.

Think this is it for me. I'll just live in the past. I'm ok with that.

Old 09-19-2022, 11:27 PM   #66
lionheart0
Demi-God

There was nothing good about that first Louis Cole video. As someone who posts on a SP message board I know all about what’s good. Him vandalizing those mailboxes was the opposite of good. I hope none of you start thinking behavior like that is acceptable.

Old 09-19-2022, 11:27 PM   #67
Shadaloo
Apocalyptic Poster

It's a slightly more inspired Solara pt II, yeah.

Of the three, Atum (I'm guessing the song is titled the same as the album) is the clear winner for me, even if it does start with the exact same gong sound effect as The Immortals' seminal Mortal Kombat theme: Techno Syndrome.

Old 09-19-2022, 11:37 PM   #68
Squish Squash
Apocalyptic Poster

It's nice to hear actual guitar driven music again, but this is pretty uninspired just like everything he's released for the last two decades. It's not bad, just uninteresting. Gonna go listen to MCIS to clean out my ears.

Old 09-19-2022, 11:43 PM   #69
Big Truck05
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squish Squash View Post
It's nice to hear actual guitar driven music again, but this is pretty uninspired just like everything he's released for the last two decades. It's not bad, just uninteresting. Gonna go listen to MCIS to clean out my ears.
100%

Old 09-19-2022, 11:46 PM   #70
paranoid
Minion of Satan

There is no such thing as worst Jimmy drumming. He’s solid on it, makes the band sound big.
Anyway I dig it. Wayyyyy better than the other two songs I heard today, which made me want to burn my whole SP collection.

Old 09-19-2022, 11:52 PM   #71
butthurt
Apocalyptic Poster

Old 09-19-2022, 11:56 PM   #72
Big Truck05
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by paranoid View Post
There is no such thing as worst Jimmy drumming. He’s solid on it, makes the band sound big.
Anyway I dig it. Wayyyyy better than the other two songs I heard today, which made me want to burn my whole SP collection.
Get ready to be disappointed by the next 31 songs then. Just saying. Keep the matches close!

Old 09-20-2022, 12:02 AM   #73
enthusaroo
Apocalyptic Poster

Return the favor

Stare down your masters

it's the same song

Old 09-20-2022, 12:05 AM   #74
TheAlter
Apocalyptic Poster

Solara 2.0, that dress, them walking up to the camera, everything is omega level cringe.

That’s what happens when you believe your own bullshit for too long. Or when you disappear and a no-talent doppelgänger shows up and takes your place.

Old 09-20-2022, 12:10 AM   #75
ourruseoffools
Apocalyptic Poster

imagine if everything about mellon collie was the same but as 1979 ends this plays instead of tales of a scorched earth lmao

Old 09-20-2022, 12:11 AM   #76
enthusaroo
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by lionheart0 View Post
There was nothing good about that first Louis Cole video. As someone who posts on a SP message board I know all about what’s good. Him vandalizing those mailboxes was the opposite of good. I hope none of you start thinking behavior like that is acceptable.
I LOL'd

Old 09-20-2022, 12:14 AM   #77
Squish Squash
Apocalyptic Poster

The new way Corgan sings hadn't grated on me before the way it does some posters (at least in the studio I saw a live version of Today that was horrid), but it really did in this song. Maybe because I had just listened to SP1 so recently. He doesn’t have the same edge to his voice anymore, it’s like he doesn’t care. He legitimately probably wrote close to 200 excellent songs (that we know of) from
1988-2000 though maybe he just used up all his good ideas.

Old 09-20-2022, 12:20 AM   #78
dustrocck
Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by ourruseoffools View Post
imagine if everything about mellon collie was the same but as 1979 ends this plays instead of tales of a scorched earth lmao

Exactly.

Off the top of my head I'd say every song on Zeitgeist is better than this. Which is not praise of Zeitgeist.

Old 09-20-2022, 12:23 AM   #79
SlingeroGuitaro
Starbucks addicted minion

I keep waiting for Zach de La Rocha

Old 09-20-2022, 12:25 AM   #80
Big Truck05
Apocalyptic Poster

I've never seen more "on point" comments in a thread before in my life. And I've been here since 1998. It finally happened. Netphoria is in unison!

Old 09-20-2022, 12:31 AM   #81
Skradgee
Boardcaster

I want to know what that splash cymbal sounding thing is around the :50 and 1:00 mark.

Old 09-20-2022, 12:34 AM   #82
brothahi4L
Apocalyptic Poster

I read your first cments and was excited... Then i listened...jesus..this song goes nowhere...solara 2.0.... and this is the lead single.... Well a guy who sells tea, wressling and records some songs as a hobby...

Sry but it proves again how boring and lifeless they are....

Old 09-20-2022, 12:34 AM   #83
paranoid
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ourruseoffools View Post
Stop saying dumb shit.

Old 09-20-2022, 12:38 AM   #84
brothahi4L
Apocalyptic Poster

If you go to reddit...guys they praise it all over the place..fukn sad machines

Old 09-20-2022, 12:38 AM   #85
ourruseoffools
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by paranoid View Post
Stop saying dumb shit.
just having fun with this atrocious rollout before i leave netphoria and r/smashingpumpkins forever to preserve my love for the 1995-2000 era

so paranoid, i will suggest, for you, to Be Strong Now

Old 09-20-2022, 12:39 AM   #86
enthusaroo
Apocalyptic Poster

checking reddit reminds me why I quit reddit 10 years ago.. the comments there are some bizarre form of idol worship with no critical thinking on display

Old 09-20-2022, 12:41 AM   #87
dustrocck
Demi-God

Is this how old-timer Bowie fans felt in the 80s? Dreck after turgid dreck?

I'd like to hope there is the faint possibility of an Outside or Blackstar on the horizon, but Corgan isn't Bowie.

A large part of the problem I have is that is seems so mailed in, James and Jimmy for sure, but for all Billy's pretensions at making this a sequel to MCIS and Machina, he seemingly didn't spend much time in the studio with the full band, he's not on a major label (whatever that means in 2022) and he's producing it himself, so there is no bullshit meter here. James and Jimmy are happy with the paycheck.

I can't decide if SP should be like Pearl Jam and Pixies and just come out with mediocre albums with the occasional decent song that would be fun live, or really try to burn to create one last masterpiece. Seems stuck somewhere in the middle of those 2 options.

Where's the guy who overdubbed 8 jillion guitar parts for Ruby or listened to a ton of vocal takes for Bullet, agonizing over which was the best take?

These new songs are less memorable than the songs that didn't make the b-sides cut in his Imperial Era.

Go and listen to the Machina demos and it's like listening to a completely different band.

Old 09-20-2022, 12:45 AM   #88
ourruseoffools
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustrocck View Post
he's not on a major label (whatever that means in 2022)
yea i would assume the self release is why all of these blantant rollout blunders are occurring, but Thirty Tigers is a quite significant distribution and marketing firm and i would assume they are at least partially responsible for the fact that the hype for this record is so much bigger than shiny or cyr

i can see why they chose this route instead of going back to sumerian, though it is kind of a bad look for them do every release under a different stream

Old 09-20-2022, 12:51 AM   #89
Squish Squash
Apocalyptic Poster

I do find it hysterical how he seemingly can’t write great songs without D’Arcy in his band, considering how much he tried to paint her as useless.

Old 09-20-2022, 12:54 AM   #90
enthusaroo
Apocalyptic Poster

How awesome would it be if this podcast wasn't scripted and Billy just casually said something like.. well you know to be honest I really lost my ability to write a good song.. it seems I've written everything in the past.. and can't seem to come up with anything new that's original.

Man, that would be so humble and cool.. but then I remembered this is Billy and it's spaceships and conspiracy and dumb ego and pretentious speak